PDA

View Full Version : Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser.

Taltarzac
07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
This "hero" is anything but as he lies, cheats, and turns tail whenever possible to avoid taking any kind of physical risk despite living through some of the worst events of the First Anglo-Afghan war @ 1841-1842.

This is the first book in a series about Sir Harry Paget Flashman. These are autobiographical tales about someone who seemed to live through most of the major military follies from 1841-1894.

Quite a different read from other books about heroes who ride into the fighting while Falshman does everything he can to avoid it but often winds up getting any of the credit due for various military exploits.

BritParrothead
07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I read all the Flashman books in my teens. :read: All great reads.
Flashman is first heard of in Tom Browns Schooldays, where he is of course, the school bully :ohdear:

Taltarzac
07-16-2010, 07:23 AM
I read all the Flashman books in my teens. :read: All great reads.
Flashman is first heard of in Tom Browns Schooldays, where he is of course, the school bully :ohdear:

George MacDonald Fraser wrote 12 Flashman books and was planning a 13th when he died in 2008.

After Flashman, came Royal Flash, then Flash for Freedom, Flashman at the Charge, Flashman in the Great Game, Flashman's Lady, Flashman and the Redskins (Little Big Horn and Custer), Flashman and the Dragon, Flashman and the Mountain of Light, Flashman and the Angel of the Lord, Flashman and the Tiger and Flashman on the March in 2005.

BritParrothead
07-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I thought i had read all the Flashman books :undecided: Now i see titles I have not heard off:undecided: Must go back to the library ;)
We did have a couple of TV series a few years ago based on the Flashman books, not too bad.

BritParrothead
07-23-2010, 06:38 AM
After the talk about Flashman, guess what was on TV 2 days ago?? Royal Flash :smiley: Malcolm McDowell played a very 'camp' Flashman. Very entertaining!

Taltarzac
07-23-2010, 07:10 AM
After the talk about Flashman, guess what was on TV 2 days ago?? Royal Flash :smiley: Malcolm McDowell played a very 'camp' Flashman. Very entertaining!

Have not read the book Royal Flash yet, but should get to the movie some time this weekend.

Taltarzac
07-26-2010, 12:40 PM

The movie Royal Flash seemed really silly to me. I did like the various interviews about the main character in the DVD's extras though. They are from @ 2006 and had some interesting take of the role of Great Britain in the wars in Afghanistan in 1841-42 as well as around 200?-6.