PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Breeze Upgrade

Mikeod
07-16-2010, 07:48 PM
We bought a Polaris cart when they were introduced last year. Really liked the cart, but it was on the slow side, constantly getting carts backed up behind us on the roads. Last week we were told about an upgraded motor for the cart that would help. Today we had it installed by Villages Golf Cars and it really made the difference. Cart now gets up to speed quickly, and runs faster, but not more than 20. Climbs hills better as well. The original motor caused us to almost crawl up hills with two people and golf clubs.

Since they installed it, my warranty is intact. Not too expensive, either.

Halle
07-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the update. I don't plan on buying another golf cart for a few years but I really like the looks of the Polaris Breeze and I'm very interested in owners comments.

Ohiogirl
07-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Can I assume that the newest model has the new motor? We plan to buy a 2nd golf cart this fall, and are really interested in the Polaris. By the way, do the new model years in golf carts come out in the fall just like cars?

Mikeod
07-17-2010, 03:38 PM
The new motor in my Polaris is not a Polaris motor. TVGC has put one in a Yamaha that I test drove before deciding to put one in my Polaris. So I don't think it will automatically appear in the new Polaris carts. However, I see that Polaris is now showing a two-seater and an LSV.

Bella
07-22-2010, 08:24 AM
We bought a Polaris cart when they were introduced last year. Really liked the cart, but it was on the slow side, constantly getting carts backed up behind us on the roads. Last week we were told about an upgraded motor for the cart that would help. Today we had it installed by Villages Golf Cars and it really made the difference. Cart now gets up to speed quickly, and runs faster, but not more than 20. Climbs hills better as well. The original motor caused us to almost crawl up hills with two people and golf clubs.

Before I start, yes, I am mostly a lurker who has posted just a few times, but am quite shy about doing it...But, I just could not resist telling what happened after I read this post.
We bought a Polaris Breeze last December and we love the cart, but the way it looses speed is a concern. After reading this, I immediately called the sales rep who sold it to us and she said yes there is a motor and she thought it was around $300, but not sure if this included labor - she gave me the number to the service department and this was their response...
Yes we had ordered a limited supply of these motors for customers and the price was $300 installed - BUT...we do not have any left and have placed an order for more but do not know when they will come in and by the way, the price is now $600. We did the $300 price as a favor to the customers who complained about the speed...
I asked how will I know when the new shipment will arrive and why the price has doubled. The answer...Well, you can call in a month or so and we will let you know if they have arrived and the $300 was for customers that have complained...mind you, I AM COMPLAINING!!!
I am not a happy camper! I have heard nothing but good things about the Village Golf Carts, but my first experience has been a real wake up call...My husband is going to place a call on Friday...We will see!!!

Mikeod
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
I feel a little guilty now about posting this. I was not informed the price quoted was a special one. I did know that they only had two motors in when I arranged to have mine installed, so I'm not surprised they had none available. I will say that the improvement in performance on my cart is substantial, and I probably (no, definitely) would have done the change at $600 if they quoted that price to me originally.

:sigh:

Bella
07-22-2010, 10:19 AM
I feel a little guilty now about posting this. I was not informed the price quoted was a special one. I did know that they only had two motors in when I arranged to have mine installed, so I'm not surprised they had none available. I will say that the improvement in performance on my cart is substantial, and I probably (no, definitely) would have done the change at $600 if they quoted that price to me originally.

:sigh:

No need to feel guilty - the $600 price is not our issue - we really thought that it would be more - the point was why double the price and no clear indication as to when they will receive more. Am I suppose to call everyday to see if they received them in, the answer I got was why don't you wait about a month and give us a call back. Poor customer service...

Ohiogirl
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow, this is making us rethink our plan to get a Polaris Breeze this fall. We did not test drive the cart loaded with golf clubs, only us. We thought it was fine going up the hill near the Havana/Morse Blvd tunnel. Is there a place (for hills) in TV that would be good to check out hillspeed?

I have read previous posts where someone checked out their golf cart speed with a Garmin? Is that correct - you can do that? Looks like we have more work to do before our decision.

What we really liked were the flip up back seat and footrest, the narrow basket between the seats (don't see this on other 4 passenger carts), the fact it came with seatbelts for the grandkids, and the way it slowed when you took your foot off the accelerator and the generally good reputation of the Polaris company.

Where oh where is the perfect golf cart? We really think electric is the way to go for us, since we will have 2 carts and live in the middle of everything. We like the fact that electric is both greener and probably cheaper to operate.

Pats2010
07-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Does the Polaris make a gas powered cart? I have decided to go gas because I like the fact that you can go for days without filling up and not have to worry about plugging it in.

Bella
07-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Wow, this is making us rethink our plan to get a Polaris Breeze this fall. We did not test drive the cart loaded with golf clubs, only us. We thought it was fine going up the hill near the Havana/Morse Blvd tunnel. Is there a place (for hills) in TV that would be good to check out hillspeed?

I have read previous posts where someone checked out their golf cart speed with a Garmin? Is that correct - you can do that? Looks like we have more work to do before our decision.

What we really liked were the flip up back seat and footrest, the narrow basket between the seats (don't see this on other 4 passenger carts), the fact it came with seatbelts for the grandkids, and the way it slowed when you took your foot off the accelerator and the generally good reputation of the Polaris company.

Where oh where is the perfect golf cart? We really think electric is the way to go for us, since we will have 2 carts and live in the middle of everything. We like the fact that electric is both greener and probably cheaper to operate.

My son actually tested it using a Garmin - and the speed with him only averaged about 16 to 18 on O'dell.
But I still think it does tend to be a lot slower than other carts that is why we want the upgrade. I am a little disappointed in it but love the flip up seat.

Mikeod
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
No need to feel guilty - the $600 price is not our issue - we really thought that it would be more - the point was why double the price and no clear indication as to when they will receive more. Am I suppose to call everyday to see if they received them in, the answer I got was why don't you wait about a month and give us a call back. Poor customer service...
Bella,
We were originally told they would email us when the motors came in. We happened to stop by the LSL store about something else and asked. That's when we found out they had two motors. We called with the cell phone right away and got the appt to get the motor. I think calling the service center regularly about availability is your best shot. Not ideal, but I'd hate for you to wait a month and find out some came in and were all obligated to other Polaris or Yamaha owners. (BTW, we first tried out the motor in a Yamaha they had installed it in.)

Bella
07-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Bella,
We were originally told they would email us when the motors came in. We happened to stop by the LSL store about something else and asked. That's when we found out they had two motors. We called with the cell phone right away and got the appt to get the motor. I think calling the service center regularly about availability is your best shot. Not ideal, but I'd hate for you to wait a month and find out some came in and were all obligated to other Polaris or Yamaha owners. (BTW, we first tried out the motor in a Yamaha they had installed it in.)

We are not full time residents so I will have to keep calling and then arrange for my homewatcher to get it there - Not sure what our next move will be, but we sure would like to have the bigger motor. Thanks for you insight.

Mikeod
07-30-2010, 08:32 PM
I spoke to the salesman who told me about the upgraded motor today. He told me there are actually two motors, one more expensive than the other. He thought one was $300 and the other was $700. So make sure the price you are quoted is for the proper motor. If I remember correctly, it is called the Lightning motor.

Bella
08-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I spoke to the salesman who told me about the upgraded motor today. He told me there are actually two motors, one more expensive than the other. He thought one was $300 and the other was $700. So make sure the price you are quoted is for the proper motor. If I remember correctly, it is called the Lightning motor.

Hubby spoke with the sales rep who sold us the cart and she did all the leg work. She spoke with the service department and indeed it was and still is $300 for the one we are looking for. They will have a new shipment arriving in about 2 weeks and will call us to set up an appointment. The $300 includes pick up, delivery and labor.
Thanks all!

Mikeod
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Glad to hear that. I have always heard they are a good place to deal with, so I'm happy you finally got the right answer.:coolsmiley:

TV MAN
08-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Would be interested to hear how upgrades are perfoming. How long did it take to get done? And how happy are you with your purchase. :a040: Did you purchase the 4 seater?

Mikeod
08-07-2010, 06:41 PM
I told the salesman last visit that the motor upgrade really completed the cart in my opinion. The only thing that bothered me about the cart was that it seemed everyone was passing me on the cart paths. I don't need to be the fastest cart on the block, but I would like to keep up with the normal flow of traffic on the cart paths. It seems somewhat a safety issue when 80% of the other carts are passing me, either going into the car traffic lanes or around me on the multimodal paths.

We have had no problems otherwise with the cart after 10 months.

rhredd1654
08-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I just noticed that this post is a year old, but thought I'd add my experience anyway. I purchased a 2011 Polaris Breeze (My Choice) at the end of June. The salesman recommended the 2011 model because they came with the bigger engine. I checked my speed with a GPS, and even with 4 passengers (daughter + 2 grandkids) I maintained a speed of 19mph. And yes, I was getting passed by 80% of the carts. Seems most TV carts are jacked up.

l2ridehd
08-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I guess I have to ask the question. Why would anyone buy any cart that does not go the 19.8 mph from the start. If I bought any cart and had to get any upgrade or replace a motor to go the basic speed limit, I would stuff that cart up somebodies you know where and never buy another of any product they sold. Based on this thread I would never even look at a Breeze. If you bought a car and had to buy another engine if you wanted to drive on the turnpike, would you ever go back there? I think not. That is just crazy.

pooh
08-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I guess I have to ask the question. Why would anyone buy any cart that does not go the 19.8 mph from the start. If I bought any cart and had to get any upgrade or replace a motor to go the basic speed limit, I would stuff that cart up somebodies you know where and never buy another of any product they sold. Based on this thread I would never even look at a Breeze. If you bought a car and had to buy another engine if you wanted to drive on the turnpike, would you ever go back there? I think not. That is just crazy.

Not all electric carts maintain the speed you've listed once they're loaded with passengers and golf clubs...or if they have Curtis Cabs placed on the body of the cart. Golf cart engines are not like automobile engines. They might not have the extra power needed to maintain 19.8 when heading up a steep hill....and there are a few hills that are long and a bit on the steep side here in TV. I'm the other owner of that Polaris cart and the extra power has helped the cart keep a better speed when loaded with the two of us, our clubs, and all the extra food and water I bring for when we're on the links... ;)

It's not just unique to Polaris, the slower speed....have a friend with a Yamaha and when the Curtis Cab enclosure was installed, the extra weight caused the cart to slow considerably when heading up hills. Have another friend who had an EZ Go or Club Car, can't remember which, but when her Curtis Cab was put on her cart, even her cruising speed on level ground was slowed considerably. Before the enclosure was added, the cart was slow and then with the addition of the cab enclosure, on hills it was EXTREMELY slow.

rhredd1654
08-05-2011, 06:59 AM

I think you're missing the point on the Breeze. In my post I said that I maintained my 19mph speed even with 3 passengers. The larger engine was not meant to increase straightaway speed, only to negate the drastic drop in speed going up hills. I believe the larger engine is standard on the 2011 model. I give Polaris credit for recognizing the shortcoming of the 2010 model and taking steps to correct the deficiency. It would be nice, however, to have a "burst" available for safe passing.

Halle
08-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I appreciate the updates on the Polaris Breeze, it is nice to read that they have changed the engine so it maintains a higher speed up the hills. I live in Amelia and there are many hills. Our Yamaha does slow down going up the hills and we would like the next cart we buy to maintain speed when climbing the hills.

We also get passed when our GPS is indicating we are going 19.8.:gc:

batman911
08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
I would bet that if you took a look at one of the installed motors to get the motor maufacturers name and part number, you could buy the motor a lot cheaper and just pay to have it installed. The new motor must have more torque so you do not loose pulling power under load as much as with the original motor.

l2ridehd
08-05-2011, 03:13 PM
I guess I must be a little slow today. Why would they sell a cart that has a fold down rear set to make it 4 passenger and I have to buy a different motor so it will make it up the hill? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Sell it with the better motor to begin with if your going to offer the 4 passenger model. Or make it an option, if you buy the fold down option then you get the bigger motor. Honestly it would make me question the entire design.

pooh
08-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Slow? Naw...it's just the heat.

The cart is indeed a 4 seater, but it is used by only 2 people most of the time. Personally, I don't care for riding backwards, I get carsick! The issue of going too slowly was addressed by Polaris with a new motor. This area has hills and some mighty long ones at that. Probably other areas the cart was marketed to weren't as hilly. Remember, some other electric carts have issues with speed reduction heading up hills....not just the Polaris. The speed issue with our cart has been addressed and resolved. The cart is a dream to handle and it fits my rather diminutive size...:D That's one of the reasons I enjoy my Polaris.

CarGuys
08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=Ohiogirl;277882]Wow, this is making us rethink our plan to get a Polaris Breeze this fall. We did not test drive the cart loaded with golf clubs, only us. We thought it was fine going up the hill near the Havana/Morse Blvd tunnel. Is there a place (for hills) in TV that would be good to check out hillspeed?

I came to TV with nothing but a Polaris on my mind, then We test drove the Tomberlin based on some recommendation from others on TOTV.

The Tomberlin handles so much better in my opinion and it can accept the extended range battery packs.

Polaris just bought GEM some good things could be coming in the future, I was at a Alt Fuel Vehicle show this Monday. Polaris has some pretty cool new vehicles.

My Pic is me in a pre-prodiction Prius Plug in have been driving this around Syracuse for the past year. We have 6 of these for Syracuse University, The Syracuse Center of Excellence and Cuse Car.

I thing TV would get real upset with this on a Cart Trail, but I can tell you all now the technology from this vehicle is now making it's way into present and future electric carts.

Herv

TV MAN
10-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I always thought the max speed for the villages was no more that 20mph any way. Should you do over that you may get a ticket, True?

I have not seen the 2011 version of the Polaris but do like the features of 2010. Would like to hear of any updates from users.

Thanks