PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have a Droid X?

Boomer
07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
My cell phone is relatively primitive. But I have not been willing to spring for an iPhone and we like our Verizon coverage.

We have a Verizon aircard that we use on the laptop when we travel and that's another reason to keep Verizon. (If only I could type on a laptop.) We have had Verizon forever.

And now that the new iPhone is having all those problems, I am over thinking about changing.

I have asked Mr. Boomer to sign on for this mission because I do not speak fluent cellphonestore. (Those places drive me nuts.) But I figured I could try to help by asking TOTVers if anybody has any comments on the Droid.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Boomer

kfierle
07-17-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a friend who has the Motorola Droid and loves it. He has had it since March and admits he still does not know how to use all the features yet. His only complaint is that is a bit heavy and the slide out keyboard is somewhat difficult to use.

I was in the market for a new phone and narrowed my search down to the Droid and the LG Ally. I just got the Ally yesterday and admit that I am currently a bit frustrated as this is my first smart phone. I chose the Ally because it was a bit smaller and lighter and it was free with a new 2 year contract. The Droid is made of metal and the Ally is plastic. I am pretty easy on a phone so the plastic did not bother me.

My friend feels his Droid is the best phone he has ever had from Verizon. My suggestion would be to go to the store and handle each phone and get the one that "feels" the best with the features you want.

I HATE shopping for a cell phone and making the transition from a phone I know how to use to one that makes my head spin!

Good luck phone shopping!

champion6
07-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, the Motorola Droid X just came out on a couple days ago (July 14 or 15), so I'm not sure how many early adopters are on this forum.

I'm also with Verizon and I bought the HTC Incredible when it came out on April 29. I am very pleased with it.

The Droid X and the Incredible are made by different companies but have the same form-factor: brick shape with no physical keyboard. The Droid X has a larger screen.

For what it's worth, the Motorola Droid 2 is expected to come out in mid-August. Its screen will be sized like the Incredible but it will be a "slider" - it will have a physical keyboard that slides out. It will also have a on-screen keyboard like the Droid X and Incredible both have.

My opinion is that phones with the Android operating system are the way to go. There are lots of choices out there - have fun.

Boomer
07-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Thank you, kfierle and champ6.

I did not realize that the Droid X had just come out. I will give it a little more time, but this sounds like it might be promising.

Boomer

kfierle
07-17-2010, 01:08 PM
You are welcome, Boomer.

I agree with Champion6 that the Android operating system is the way to go. I just got done playing with my Android phone, LG Ally. Each time I use it I am amazed with what it can do!

pooh
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Hubby and I have Droid Incredibles and we love the phones. I've never had phone internet capability before and am surprised at how much I use it. I use the camera for so many things. One thing I do now is when I see a sign about an upcoming sale at a particular shop, I just take a picture of the sign, e-mail it to myself and when I get home, print out the reminder.

We've had Verizon for years. Of course, the increase in phone bill is something that I'm not happy about, but I'll keep the service and cut back somewhere else... ;)

memason
07-17-2010, 02:53 PM
OK.... I'm coming over from the "Dark Side""....iPhone user...:smiley:

Don't know too much about the Droids yet, so I'm watching this thread closely too. My iPhone will just become a big iPod, when I move back to the States [and TV] in a few months.

For me, a smartphone is only as good as the apps you are able to use. I did a little research and here's a good website to discover Droid apps, as well as iPhone apps.....

http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/index.html?platform=2

Looks like some interesting apps for the Droid....

pooh
07-17-2010, 03:06 PM
OK.... I'm coming over from the "Dark Side""....iPhone user...:smiley:

Don't know too much about the Droids yet, so I'm watching this thread closely too. My iPhone will just become a big iPod, when I move back to the States [and TV] in a few months.

For me, a smartphone is only as good as the apps you are able to use. I did a little research and here's a good website to discover Droid apps, as well as iPhone apps.....

http://www.pcworld.com/appguide/index.html?platform=2

Looks like some interesting apps for the Droid....

LOL...welcome... ;)

So far, all the apps I've installed are free...games, weather, tv stations' news (local and San Diego), calculator, a level (actually it comes in handy!), Kindle, a few others, but I'm still searching. Particularly enjoy the Kindle...I've always got a book with me when waiting around.

Since this is my first smart phone, I'm still in the awestruck state. My son has had an I phone for years and enjoys it, except when he's here. AT&T reception isn't always at optimum levels.

Now memason, come into our club, sit down, have a drink, relax, think Droid, think Droid, think......Droid.....th....... ;)

champion6
07-17-2010, 05:54 PM
For Android apps, I use these sites:

http://www.androidzoom.com/

http://www.appbrain.com/

http://www.androlib.com/

chuckinca
07-17-2010, 07:33 PM
We were at a birthday party a few weeks ago and people got into comparing phone apps and adding apps that were cool.

One app lets you place your phone near a music source and it tells you the song name and artist.

Another app tells you where the public bathrooms are located nearby.

Another is a golf GPS

etc etc etc

Forsyth
07-17-2010, 10:24 PM
The Verizon store is wonderful. Since the store cannot provide a tech-saavy teenager complimentary with the purchase of the Droid, they understand. They jokingly told me they would answer 3 questions each time with my Droid..that 3 answers would be all I retained. I've gone back several times. But now, after several months, the phone has become fun, somewhat to easily use, the Navigator has been a life saver, the camera and video camera are great. I like the compass and the level, too! There's a flashlight I used one night to help a person in a golfcart find some dropped keys.

memason
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
LOL...welcome... ;)

So far, all the apps I've installed are free...games, weather, tv stations' news (local and San Diego), calculator, a level (actually it comes in handy!), Kindle, a few others, but I'm still searching. Particularly enjoy the Kindle...I've always got a book with me when waiting around.

Since this is my first smart phone, I'm still in the awestruck state. My son has had an I phone for years and enjoys it, except when he's here. AT&T reception isn't always at optimum levels.

Now memason, come into our club, sit down, have a drink, relax, think Droid, think Droid, think......Droid.....th....... ;)

I'm thinking......I'm thinking....I'm thinking....my eyes are getting heavy....

Oh, wait... I'm reading some reviews on the Droid and its battery life. Seems it's a bit too short, if you use it as it was meant to be used.

Anybody having battery issues ??

macro
07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Another app tells you where the public bathrooms are located nearby.

Another is a golf GPS

The public bathrooms may be one feature we would like (especially as we age) but, The only Golf GPS app I would really go for is one that will guide me to that little, white, directionally challenged sphere, where ever it's hiding. :cus: (How the h*** can a white ball hide in green grass?????? ) :1rotfl:

memason
07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
The public bathrooms may be one feature we would like (especially as we age) but, The only Golf GPS app I would really go for is one that will guide me to that little, white, directionally challenged sphere, where ever it's hiding. :cus: (How the h*** can a white ball hide in green grass?????? ) :1rotfl:

I have the same problem. Check this out...

http://www.radargolf.com/news/articles/072007.asp

I'd still want to the able to track the ball with my iPhone or iPad. Never satisfied!

l2ridehd
07-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Just an opposing point of view.

My neighbor got the Droid X a couple weeks ago. He offered to sell it to me for 25% of what he paid. Very frustrated with it and how not user friendly it is. Finally gave it to his son and went back to his old phone. Now planning to switch his service and get a new iphone. No thanks to a Droid. There is nothing wrong with the iphone 4. And the compatibility between that and the Mac are awesome. There are no dropped calls. And AT&T coverage is excellent. And it is so very intuitive to use as with all Apple products. Lots and lots of apps available for almost anything you could possibly ever want. Before making a final decision, go to the stores and check out both. IMHO there is no comparison.

macro
07-27-2010, 01:45 PM
I have the same problem. Check this out...

http://www.radargolf.com/news/articles/072007.asp

I'd still want to the able to track the ball with my iPhone or iPad. Never satisfied!

Should've known someone would do it. Now, how about a blinking light for those slow twilight games when the sun sets way too early? :p

pooh
07-27-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking......I'm thinking....I'm thinking....my eyes are getting heavy....

Oh, wait... I'm reading some reviews on the Droid and its battery life. Seems it's a bit too short, if you use it as it was meant to be used.

Anybody having battery issues ??

I make sure I recharge the battery every night. If I use it for more than phone, battery life isn't as long as if just using the phone, I'll agree to that. So far it hasn't been an issue with us, but I can see if one does lots of texting, checking e-mail, surfing the web, playing games, shortened life could be a problem.

memason
07-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Yikes..... I'm starting to drift back over to the "dark side" :D.

I'm really hooked on the iPhone and now the iPad... iPad battery life is truely amazing at around 10 hours of usage. I use the iPhone alot...80% internet, 20% phone. Not sure the Droid battery would hold up for me.

Oh well..... sure did want to go back to Verizon, but....

Boomer
07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Ohhhhhhh, noooooo.......

This thread has made me run the gamut of emotions.

I was feeling so good at the start.

Now, I'm feeling so awful.

In fact, I am feeling downright verklempt.

I was all set to get a Droid X and keep Verizon. I really like the Verizon aircard. I can use the laptop in the car on long roadtrips.

Mr. Boomer likes the Verizon aircard, too. I am glad he likes it, even though I know how much he misses my helpful driving tips. But I just cannot make them as often because I am distracted now by my computer in the car.

I want one of those new-fangled phones with the big pretty screens. But I do not want to have two different carriers. I thought the problem was solved. But now......ohhhhhh, nooooooo -- battery issues could be a real pain.

Boomer

tony
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
Verklempt?

:ohdear:

Pturner
07-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Never had an Android phone. Before my iPhone I had an HP smart phone with Windows Mobile. Other than doing email, it was nothing to write home about!

The iPhone has so many fabulous apps, both useful and fun. Android's probably will catch up, but for now, for me, it's all about the apps.

memason
07-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Ohhhhhhh, noooooo.......

This thread has made me run the gamut of emotions.

I was feeling so good at the start.

Now, I'm feeling so awful.

In fact, I am feeling downright verklempt.

I was all set to get a Droid X and keep Verizon. I really like the Verizon aircard. I can use the laptop in the car on long roadtrips.

Mr. Boomer likes the Verizon aircard, too. I am glad he likes it, even though I know how much he misses my helpful driving tips. But I just cannot make them as often because I am distracted now by my computer in the car.

I want one of those new-fangled phones with the big pretty screens. But I do not want to have two different carriers. I thought the problem was solved. But now......ohhhhhh, nooooooo -- battery issues could be a real pain.

Boomer

Boomer..... being "Verklempt" is not a good thing, especially over a cellphone. All I can say is "es tut mir leid"

Tschuss...

Tony....all is OK. Trust me :o Just a little fun with the German language...

Boomer
07-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Hi memason,

In spite of my German roots, I must confess that I got that word from an old Saturday Night Live skit called "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman."

Ohhhhhhh, I am so overcome with emotion, all upset -- what with all this angst over the cellphone thing. It's a hyperbolic tizz though.

(And Tony, he's right. It's OK. I translated.)

And, danke, memason..........(Ohhhhhh, I hope I said that part right.....For some reason I am starting to hear Wayne Newton singing in my head.)

uujudy
07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Boomer, BabyGirl's boyfriend just got the Droid X a few days ago. He said it's bigger and heavier compared to his old phone - and you know kids... a 6-month old phone is OLD. I'll let you know if I hear anything else from him.

memason
07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Just a piece of information.... The Droid X is also a WiFi hotspot, allowing 5 devices to connect, so there is no more need for a Verizon Aircard and associated data plan... This means you can connect any device you have to the internet, regardless of your location, just like the aircard.

As for battery life....I think you charge it every day and when you're using it for a hotspot, you make sure you're close to a power source. In the car, you could keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter plug...

There's lots to like about the Droid... The "only" downside I have found is battery life. Then, there is the app issue. As best I can tell, there are just over 12,000 apps for Andriod devices and almost 235,000 [yeah, I said 235,000 !!] apps for the iPhone. The real issue is whether the types of apps you would use are part of the 12,000 Android apps offered.

For me, it's a tough call... I like the iPhone, but I will have to purchase something different, once I hit US soil in a couple months. So, do I go for the iPhone 4, along with AT&T or do I migrate from the "dark side" and get the Droid and Verizon's service.

Yikes.... decisions, decisions, decisions.... I thought deciding which home in TV was tough. I haven't even gotten to the golf cart yet...let me see...gas or electric ??? Hey, wait.... maybe there's an app for that ??? :MOJE_whot:

champion6
07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
A few people in this thread speak as if there is one DRIOD. In fact, there a many DROIDS available at Verizon.

Motorola DROID (will be discontinued by mid-August)
HTC DROID Incredible
Motorola DROID X
Motorola DROID 2 (will be available to buy in mid-August)

Each has different features, but all are Android phones.

Boomer, my advise is to keep learning about them until mid-August when the DROID 2 is available. Then go to a Verizon store and look at the three DROIDS. You will able to compare the size, shape, weight, user interface and other features.

kfierle
07-29-2010, 12:55 PM
A few people in this thread speak as if there is one DRIOD. In fact, there a many DROIDS available at Verizon.

Motorola DROID (will be discontinued by mid-August)
HTC DROID Incredible
Motorola DROID X
Motorola DROID 2 (will be available to buy in mid-August)

Each has different features, but all are Android phones.

Boomer, my advise is to keep learning about them until mid-August when the DROID 2 is available. Then go to a Verizon store and look at the three DROIDS. You will able to compare the size, shape, weight, user interface and other features.

I finally got my first smart phone 2 weeks ago today. I opted for the DROID interface. My phone is the LG Ally, which in not on the above list. It was a bit frustrating at first but I am really enjoying the capabilities of the phone now. My phone is lighter weight than the Motorola DROID and has a much nicer slide out keyboard.

I agree with champion6. Go to a Verizon store and look at all the DROID phones. I know I like to physically handle the phone to see how it feels in my hand. Also, go to the Verizon wireless website and compare all the features online so you are a bit more informed when you go to the store.

Hawkwind
07-29-2010, 07:07 PM
It is now legal to jailbreak your IPhone so it will be interesting to see how it will work on other networks. Also it would be fun to get a version 3, jailbreak it and just use it for WiFi connections and not the phone. Not sure if that can be done yet.

Pturner
07-29-2010, 07:24 PM
I know. I'm anxious to hear reports of how well it works jailbroken (?) on other networks.

tony
07-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Where was the jailbreak being legal reported? I have been waiting for that and missed it.

champion6
07-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Tony, here is one article: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/us-government-jailbreaking-iphone-legal/story?id=11254253

It was covered extensively by many sites.

Hawkwind
07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Tony
Take a look at this as it also has the pro's and con's of jailbreaking. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20012109-38.html

Also on one of the Google searches I hit on in the past few days had a link on hot to jailbreak a number of or versions and software revisions.

Here is another link. http://www.ismashphone.com/2010/07/match-your-idevice-to-the-right-jailbreak-tool.html

It it not the one that I found the other day but I will look for it.

Hawkwind
07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Tony
Here is another link to a site that has a lot of videos on how to jailbreak but I am still looking to that site that covered all versions.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/topic/iphone-jailbreak-sprint/

Hawkwind
07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Tony
Everything you need to jailbreak the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

One thing of interest that I found in one of the video's is that once the iPhone is jail broken there is a app that can allow it to become a WiFi hotspot. Now just what is the guy referring to here? A true hot spot that anyone with a wireless device can connect to or he is meaning that the iPhone can now be used for tethering. Not sure on that one.

jojo
07-29-2010, 08:39 PM
I need the tethering function which is why I stayed with the Blackberry. Would be interested in knowing if anyone is successful in tethering with the Iphone and if there are any additional costs.

Pturner
07-29-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm a little hopeful that the jailbreak ruling will lead Apple and AT&T to drop their exclusionary contract.

It seems like a double-edged sword for both. I never had problems with the AT&T network before the iPhone became so popular. Now the AT&T network in Atlanta, and no doubt in all major metro areas, gets bogged down by text traffic it was never designed to handle-- leading non-iPhone cellphone users to switch to Verizon!

memason
07-29-2010, 11:25 PM
OK...Droid X thread morphs into an iPhone thread ??? Sorry Boomer!

Jailbreaking.... Just so you all understand. Jailbreaking your iPhone does NOT mean you'll be able to use it on the Verizon network ....or Sprint ...or any other non-GSM cell phone network. This is a hardware thing with Apple and no matter how many You-Tube videos you see with someone using the iPhone on Verizon...it will not work!

If you jailbreak your iPhone, you have one other choice...T-Mobile. ...and, when I was going to jailbreak my iPhone for a recent trip to the States, T-Mobile USA told me I could get a SIM card that would allow phone calls, but NO 3G ACCESS!

Finally, Apple will not honor the warranty on a jailbroken phone. If your iPhone is less than one year old...I'd tread cautiously.

If you're interested in WiFi hotspot (tethering) and the Verizon network... check out the Droid X.

champion6
07-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I need the tethering function which is why I stayed with the Blackberry. Would be interested in knowing if anyone is successful in tethering with the Iphone and if there are any additional costs.JoJo, are you on AT&T? Is that why you wan to tether with the iPhone? The reason I ask is that I can tether with my Incredible on Verizon.

champion6
07-30-2010, 11:43 PM
OK... Droid X thread morphs into an iPhone thread??? Sorry Boomer!Such is life on TOTV. It happens all the time... too often if you ask me.

jojo
07-31-2010, 06:54 AM
I am on T-Mobile and like it. I do envy the Iphone functions but absolutely have to have the tethering when I'm on the road in non-wireless territory.

Boomer
07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
OK...Droid X thread morphs into an iPhone thread ??? Sorry Boomer! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi memason,

Please -- not to worry. I guess some people call it morphing, but my people call it conversation.

I really like this thread and I plan to show it to Mr. Boomer who likes to go to cellphone stores. I know that he will appreciate the information and will read all the links, too.

And thank you, champ6, for that suggestion about the mid-August date for the new one and comparison.

And now for another line from that old SNL skit where I got the word 'verklempt' that I was throwing around here a couple of nights ago -- from "Coffee Talk with Linda Richman.....

When Linda said that she was feeling "verklempt" and she would need a little time to compose herself, she would say to her guests, "Talk amongst yourselves."

So.....please.....talk amongst yourselves. This thread is really helping.

Boomer

champion6
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Boomer, here is a link to a story that includes a comparison chart for all the Android phones that Verizon offers (or will offer, when the Droid 2 comes out).

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/03/comparison-droid-vs-droid-2-vs-droid-x-vs-incredible/

Still no official announcement as to the availability date for the Droid 2, but the newest rumor is Aug. 12.

Niels
08-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I just ordered the Droid X from Verizon a couple of days ago. It's currently on back order and is expected to ship on 8/18. I looked at the specs for the Droid 2 but decided against it.

The Droid X has a much bigger screen (4.3" vs 3.7") than the Droid 2. That's what I really like about the Droid X. Some people think it's too big.

Also, the Droid X has an 8 mp camera vs a 5mp camera on the Droid 2.

I researched the Droid X online and the main problems I found were screen issues, problems connecting to wifi and sound problems. The screen issue was only a few phones on the initial shipment and has been fixed. I believe the wifi issues were also fixed with a software update. The sound appeared to be okay on the unit I tested at the Verizon store although it was not very loud. Also, the speaker can be covered up if you put the phone on a flat surface. It doesn't have kickstand like some of the HTC phones have.

I would have seriously considered the iphone if it was available on Verizon but I really didn't want to go to AT&T.

champion6
08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Niels, I'd like to see your Droid X when we're down there in a couple weeks. The larger screen size is interesting.

memason
08-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Niels.... I'd be interested in knowing how well the WiFi hotspot functions. That seems to be a big advantage...

Thanks....

k2at
08-04-2010, 02:27 AM
My son, the expert, says to get the Droid x because of the bigger screen. In any event, these new phones are just amazing.

Dan =^..^=
08-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Our TV salesman switched from another smartphone provider to a Droid from Verizon and said that he loves it. It wasn't a Droid X but very neat device none the less.

Boomer
08-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Niels,

Thanks for the screen size info. That's a good piece of the puzzle for me to have.

Besides wanting an internet connection, screen size is one of the main reasons I want to get rid of my old phone. The screen is tiny and when I am outside in the sun, the glare on that screen makes it nearly impossible to see.

When you get your Droid X, I hope you will share your thoughts about it with us. And like you, I also want to keep Verizon. Thank you.

Boomer

getdul981
08-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I would love to have a Droid. Our contract with Verizon is up next month and I would like to upgrade our current LG enV phones to Droids, but we currently have a cell phone bill of around $65 per month. To upgrade to the Droid, after the initial purchase price, we would have a monthly bill of around $130 per month. We don't do texting, but I would like to have the capability of accessing wi-fi hot spots and that feature is not available without getting the Smart Phone and subsequently the data package. Does anyone know of any way to get the Droid withot having to pay for the data package?

memason
08-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Champion6... The comparison chart you provided a link is very good and really shows the major differences between the Droid phones. At this point, it looks like the X is the one with the most options and largest screen.

champion6
08-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know of any way to get the Droid without having to pay for the data package?Nope... it can't be done. :sad: All the smartphones on Verizon require the data package.

getdul981
08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
That's what I thought.

Niels
08-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Champion 6 - I'd be happy to show you the Droid X when I get it. Hopefully, I'll have it when you are visiting. It should ship around 8/18.

Memason - One of the complaints about the Droid X has been problems connecting to wifi. It seems that some people have reported that it drops the connection almost immediately but I have been told that problem was corrected with a software update. The wifi hotspot is an interesting feature but I mainly purchased because of the huge 4.3" screen. I'll let you know how it works after I have a chance to try it out.

Getdul981 - Yes, as Champion 6 posted, Verizon requires you to sign up for a data plan with the phone.

chuckinca
08-08-2010, 12:22 AM
My grandmother's phone number was 2 longs and a short.

memason
08-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Niels.... thanks for the update. I'll be looking forward to your assessment, once you've had a little time with the phone...

I just read a story today that Apple is buying millions of CDMA chipsets from Qualcomm.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20013022-266.html?tag=topTechContentWrap;mostDisStories

Of course, conventional wisdom has it that this is in preparation for the VERIZON iPhone in January. We have heard this rumor for the past couple years, so....

Technically speaking: CDMA networks are used by everyone except AT&T and T-Mobile, so they could be getting ready to release the iPhone to multiple carriers or this could all be another baseless rumor... time will tell.

Niels
08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Interesting story about Apple buying the CDMA chips. As I previously mentioned, I would have considered the iPhone if it was available on Verizon. As you mentioned, these rumors have been floating around for a couple of years and I got tired of waiting.

The DroidX will be the first smartphone that I have ever owned. A couple of people online have complained that the manual is not very helpful so I may have to do some online searching and playing with the phone to really start taking advantage of some of the phones features. Fortunately, I'm pretty good at picking up how technical equipment operates. As my son recently said to me, now that I'm retired I will have the time to play with my new phone.

memason
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Verizon just announced the Droid 2. Should be available in stores by August 12th. However, I believe I would still like the Droid X more, with the larger screen and more features...

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20013146-251.html?tag=topTechContentWrap;editorPicks

Niels
08-13-2010, 11:29 PM
There was an interesting article in InfoWorld the other day. According to the article, AT&T has filed a 10Q with the SEC showing that it is preparing to lose iPhone exclusivity. Hmmm.....

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/att-preparing-lose-iphone-exclusivity-383

Niels
08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Verizon shipped my Droid X early. I've been able to play around with it and will post my initial impressions. This is my first smartphone so I really have nothing to compare it to.

Positives - I love the huge screen as it makes it easy to read e-mails and view web pages. I also like the 4 hard buttons on the bottom of the phone. The camera seems to take fairly clear pictures of decent quality for a phone. Phone is relatively easy to use although I did have to look up a couple of things online. Phone calls have been clear and crisp. The Android operating system (version 2.1) has worked good so far and I'm looking forward to the upgraded version 2.2 being available soon.

Negatives - Most of the negatives I knew before I purchased the phone. For example, it's kind of big to carry around and because it has no physical keyboard the screen gets smudged with fingerprints. Also, as expected these days, the phone came with many programs loaded onto it (some are useful but some I'll never use). Many of these programs load automatically into memory but so far the Android system seems to do a good job of starting to shut unused programs down when it needs additional memory.

Although I have fairly small hands, I have encountered numerous instances where I typed the wrong letter or selected the wrong program. I was surprised how often this happens since the screen is so large. Maybe this will improve once I get used to the phone.

One problem I have had is widely varying 3G signal reception with the phone on the Verizon network. My signal will go from 4bars to loss of signal in a matter of minutes without changing location. Wifi coverage seems to be more stable.

I think the Droid X is a great phone and I'm happy with my choice so far. :BigApplause: If anyone has any questions, just ask and I'll try to answer them.

memason
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Niels.... thanks for the update. Sounds like a nice smartphone. I'm a little surprised at your Verizon issue though. I expected their network to be rock solid in TV.

Just wondering if you've experienced any of the more advertised short comings of the Droid.... specifically the low volume issue. Whenever you get around to testing the WiFi hotspot function, I'd be interested in how it functions in that capacity, as well.

I've been using my iPhone as a Hotspot for a few days now and I am very impressed with its capabilities. I used it today with 2 iPads connected and both downloading from the App store. Speed was rather good, but battery life [on the iPhone] took a real nosedive! To use this function long-term, you'd have to plug into a power source.

Thanks,
Mike

Niels
08-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Mike,

I have not experienced any problems with the volume on the phone. I've tried playing you tube videos and a built in game and was very satisfied with the volume. Even when I put it down on a flat surface (which covers the rear speaker) the volume was fine.

I've heard that using your phone as a mobile wifi hotspot really eats up battery power. Incidentally, Verizon states in their instructional videos that you must plug in your phone when using it as a wifi hotspot due to battery consumption.

Sorry I can't answer your question concerning how the phone functions as a wifi hotspot. Verizon charges an extra $20 per month (for 2 GB of data useage) to use that feature. In addition, someone told me that the 2GB data maximum applies to all data useage once you activate the wifi feature. So you have to pay $20 more per month AND you go from an unlimited data plan to a 2GB maximum. No thanks. I suppose you could also jailbreak the phone but I wouldn't want to do that.

fraurauch
08-17-2010, 06:02 AM
To use the phone as a WiFi hotspot, I downloaded PDAnet from the Android marketplace. It works beautifully. You must also download software for your computer. I am on a 30-day free trial, and after that, you must pay $23.95 (a one-time charge), but it is well worth it IMHO.

memason
08-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Mike,

I have not experienced any problems with the volume on the phone. I've tried playing you tube videos and a built in game and was very satisfied with the volume. Even when I put it down on a flat surface (which covers the rear speaker) the volume was fine.

I've heard that using your phone as a mobile wifi hotspot really eats up battery power. Incidentally, Verizon states in their instructional videos that you must plug in your phone when using it as a wifi hotspot due to battery consumption.

Sorry I can't answer your question concerning how the phone functions as a wifi hotspot. Verizon charges an extra $20 per month (for 2 GB of data useage) to use that feature. In addition, someone told me that the 2GB data maximum applies to all data useage once you activate the wifi feature. So you have to pay $20 more per month AND you go from an unlimited data plan to a 2GB maximum. No thanks. I suppose you could also jailbreak the phone but I wouldn't want to do that.

Hmmm..... Doesn't surprise me that Verizon would make you pay extra to use a standard function of the phone (WiFi). Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that's the current business model with which all the cell phone companies are operating. However, I predict that this will all go away in the not too distant future and we'll be back to flat rate usage. With more and more smartphones hitting the market, these companies will reverse their current direction to maintain competetiveness and marketshare. Right now, they are competing around 3G .vs. 4G and eventually LTE networks and technology. Once those technology investments are sunk, they'll need subscribers to maintain an acceptable ROI... Then, the model will change.

Just my thinking....

RVRoadie
08-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Just an opposing point of view.

... Now planning to switch his service and get a new iphone. No thanks to a Droid. There is nothing wrong with the iphone 4. And the compatibility between that and the Mac are awesome. There are no dropped calls. And AT&T coverage is excellent. ...

That is very misleading. I have had an iPhone for over a year now and service in Hemingway is not very good. About 20% of the calls inside my home fail. There is no service inside the Publix in Colony Plaza. AT&T now has a $50 mini "cell tower" that you can connect to your internet connection for better service inside your home. They should be giving those away. My wife never has trouble with her Verizon service anywhere in The Villages.

champion6
08-19-2010, 09:54 AM
To use the phone as a WiFi hotspot, I downloaded PDAnet from the Android marketplace. It works beautifully. You must also download software for your computer. I am on a 30-day free trial, and after that, you must pay $23.95 (a one-time charge), but it is well worth it IMHO.I might be wrong, but I think there is a misunderstanding of terms. PDAnet enables you to tether your Android phone to a computer. In other words, connect your phone to a computer via a cable and use the phone's 3G data connection to give the computer Internet access. This is not the same as a WiFi hotspot. By the way, PDAnet does in fact work very well.

Bob45
08-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Yikes..... I'm starting to drift back over to the "dark side" :D.

I'm really hooked on the iPhone and now the iPad... iPad battery life is truely amazing at around 10 hours of usage. I use the iPhone alot...80% internet, 20% phone. Not sure the Droid battery would hold up for me.

Oh well..... sure did want to go back to Verizon, but....

memason,

Verizon is supposed to be offering the iPhone by the end of this year. They are already in production. There has been a lot of info on the tech sites.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2010-06-30-iphone30_ST_N.htm

I'm not happy with my AT&T coverage in TV. (Hemingway) I really like the iPhone.

Bob

memason
08-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Bob..... I've been watching, with great interest, the unfolding saga of an iPhone on Verizon. For sure, it seems imminent that Verizon will offer the iPhone, but I'm still a bit skepitical...we've heard these rumors before..

All the talk of AT&T's analyst report [not depending on one smartphone], as well as [unconfirmed] reports that Apple has purchased millions of CDMA chips from Qualcomm, certainly adds some fuel to the fire.

That said and as much as I like my iPhone, I still have interest in the Droid X. Just not sure I'm ready to migrate over to Android just yet...

Maybe Apple will make some announcement at its September 1 event ...

chuckinca
08-26-2010, 11:51 PM
We have the Sprint hotspot that can be used anywhere there is a Sprint Cell tower. It costs $59.95/Mo for 5.4 GB. We usually use just under the 5.4 GB.

We use it in Cal and Fla and in between. Don't have to have specific service in two states that isn't used half the time. Service where we live in Cal is poor, service in TV is very good.

Boomer
09-04-2010, 07:41 AM
I still do not have a smart phone. but that's OK. Mr. Boomer would have rushed out to the Verizon Store weeks ago had I not said, "Please wait. I can wait. Let's see where this thing goes with Verizon and the iPhone."

So I remain Boomer-in-Waiting, by choice, but I admit to getting a little impatient with myself on this.

This morning I was looking through the September issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance and found a short article comparing smart phones. Here is the link.....

http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/the-latest-greatest-smart-phones.html

Sometimes I get a little nostalgic for the days when there was no choice involved with phone service. Sure made life a lot simpler. Or did it?

Remember Ernestine? Here she is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o

Boomer

Niels
09-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Consumer Reports recently tested smartphones. They rated the iPhone the highest. The Droid X came in second at one point below the iPhone. They criticized the DroidX for battery life and voice quality. I have been told that voice quality was an issue on early DroidX phones but that a software update corrected that. I have not had a problem with voice quality. However, it does use a lot of battery power. In fact, this is often a complaint on many cellphones.

memason
09-11-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm traveling to TV next week and I'm thinking of purchasing a MiFi 2200 from VirginMobile USA. This will be the only internet access I will have, other than running to the rec centers. You can purchase these at the Walmart in TV and the service is pay-as-you-go for unlimited data access. ie. no contracts

The MiFi device runs on the Sprint data network, so I'm not too sure it'll work well in TV. Our home is in St. Charles, so that is where it will be used the most. The Sprint coverage map shows good coverage in TV, but I'd like to ask my "expert" friends in TV for the real scoop! :)

Anyone have experience with VirginMobile? ...or the Sprint DATA network.

As always, thanks for your insights!

billethkid
09-14-2010, 12:57 PM
nation wide. At our lake home in TN there is NO OTHER service that gets there except Verizon.
I use their air card because again in the TN hills the only internet available is dial up (snoooooze) or sattelite ($$$$$$).

However with the new Droid X and future droid 2.2 and above operating systems I can get upgraded to a new droid phone that has wi fi, pay the 23.95 per month for the access and drop the air card $69.95 per month and save $46 per month.

I am waiting for the new LG Droid 2.2 phones just announced to hit the stores. Between LG and HTC there will be several new droid capable phones that will help drive the prices down.

btk

Pturner
09-14-2010, 04:05 PM
nation wide. At our lake home in TN there is NO OTHER service that gets there except Verizon.
I use their air card because again in the TN hills the only internet available is dial up (snoooooze) or sattelite ($$$$$$).

However with the new Droid X and future droid 2.2 and above operating systems I can get upgraded to a new droid phone that has wi fi, pay the 23.95 per month for the access and drop the air card $69.95 per month and save $46 per month.

I am waiting for the new LG Droid 2.2 phones just announced to hit the stores. Between LG and HTC there will be several new droid capable phones that will help drive the prices down.

btk

If you're staying with Verizon/Droid, I agree that LG is a great choice. Our experience with LG products has been consistently excellent quality.

oot
09-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I just got the Droid 2 last week. I love it!

Pro's - it does about everything but make your bed.

Con's - Battery life is not the best (but I have used it quite a bit) and price (but those cell phone companies are all about the same overall in that area).

You have to pay Verizon an extra $30 a month for the internet access on the phone.

To use it at a hot-spot you end up paying an additional $20 a month for 2 gig (max you can get with the Droid). I tend to use my computer for more than 2 gig so that won't work for me.

I have never had a phone that I had more fun with. I can watch a youtube video all the way - sometimes without it even stopping to load. My computer can't come close to being as quick.

I think I'm hooked. Never thought about getting one to begin with, but I happened to be in the store and I liked the way it looked. Since I have 30 days to try it - I figured what the heck. Now I don't think I could ever go back to a normal cell phone again!

chuckinca
09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm traveling to TV next week and I'm thinking of purchasing a MiFi 2200 from VirginMobile USA. This will be the only internet access I will have, other than running to the rec centers. You can purchase these at the Walmart in TV and the service is pay-as-you-go for unlimited data access. ie. no contracts

The MiFi device runs on the Sprint data network, so I'm not too sure it'll work well in TV. Our home is in St. Charles, so that is where it will be used the most. The Sprint coverage map shows good coverage in TV, but I'd like to ask my "expert" friends in TV for the real scoop! :)

Anyone have experience with VirginMobile? ...or the Sprint DATA network.

As always, thanks for your insights!

We got the Sprint MiFi 2200 in January and it worked fine in TV. Doesn't work very well here in CA Lake County tho.

memason
09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
We got the Sprint MiFi 2200 in January and it worked fine in TV. Doesn't work very well here in CA Lake County tho.

Thanks Chuckinca! That's all I needed to know... I'll be getting the VirginMobile MiFi Saturday morning, so I'll post an update next week, from TV, on its performance...

2 Days to TV!!! Woo Hoo ....

oatmealgirls
09-15-2010, 12:28 AM
I'll be getting the VirginMobile MiFi Saturday morning, so I'll post an update next week, from TV, on its performance...

Recently read about this, seems like a good deal... can have up to five computer connections, it's easily transportable, and costs only $40 a month. We are presently paying for Comcast internet service in 2 places so I look forward to your update.

Good luck with your move to TV!! I enjoy reading your posts.

memason
09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, I arrived in TV at about 9:00 on friday evening. After getting the keys to my home, we headed to Walmart, where I purchased the VirginMobile USA MiFi unit. The cost at Walmart is $149.00, but has no contract. This morning, I setup the device and purchased one month of unlimited broadband usage for $40.00. Our home is in St. Charles, 4th hole of Yankee Clipper golf course. The signal is great (Sprint) and i have had no issues with speed. In fact, was streaming video on the iPad at the same time my wife was streaming video on our MacBook and both functioned very well with no stopping to buffer. I was very surprised by this...

We made a trip to the shopping center on 441 and my wife was surfing the net, with the iPad, on the way over. No problems with connection or speed there either

My first impression is very good. As I write this post, I'm sitting on the lanai, typing on the iPad and I believe we're down 2 bottles of wine....need to go shopping again for more wine :-)

tony
09-19-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm guessing the MiFi needs wine to keep it going. I'll keep that in mind.

oatmealgirls
09-19-2010, 11:10 AM
memason, Thanks for taking the time to write your first impression review. Sounds like a good deal! Enjoy your WiFi, wine, and new home!!!

Pturner
09-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Memason,
Thanks for the update and BTW, YEAH, you're finally in TV!!

:wine: (Not a very big bottle. Guess you'll still have to go to the store.)

memason
09-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Memason,
Thanks for the update and BTW, YEAH, you're finally in TV!!

:wine: (Not a very big bottle. Guess you'll still have to go to the store.)

Thanks for the wine, but I think we'll still have to make a wine run today. Yeah, only one week in. TV, this trip. I have to go back to Gemany and eat 10 more brats and drink 52 more beers... Unfortunately, a state law i have to satisfy before I can leave the country..... :D

memason
09-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Consumer Reports recently tested smartphones. They rated the iPhone the highest. The Droid X came in second at one point below the iPhone. They criticized the DroidX for battery life and voice quality. I have been told that voice quality was an issue on early DroidX phones but that a software update corrected that. I have not had a problem with voice quality. However, it does use a lot of battery power. In fact, this is often a complaint on many cellphones.

Hi Neils... Now that you've had a couple months of Droid X usage, are you still happy with it? I was in TV, last week and took a look at the Droid X at Best Buy. I was a little surprised at the size. It is considerably larger than the iPhone... However, I sort of liked the larger screen. For me, the availability of good apps will be the determining factor.

Just as a side note....of all the phones they had at Best Buy, the only phone that was active, so you could actually see what it does and how it does it, was the iPhone 4. All other phones were dead or display models. Likewise, I stopped at the Millennium Mall on the way back to the airport in Orlando. The Apple store was so full of people, you could hardly walk. Seems to me that the marketing strategy of see it, feel it, touch it, play with it, is working very well for Apple. There was a L O N G line at the checkout...

One final note....for those of you who were following my assessment of the VirginMobileUSA MiFi unit, I have to say it functioned very well for me, while I was in TV. Everywhere I went and tried to use the unit, it functioned flawlessly and I had good reception on the Sprint network. I even used it on the golf course (Cane Garden) to connect my iPhone for score-keeping and GPS range finding. I used the Whistle app on the iPad to make local phone calls, while connected to the MiFi and had no quality issues.

For a no contract device and $40.00/month pay-as-you-go unlimited usage, I believe this is the perfect device for someone who needs internet in multiple locations or just needs internet wherever. I'm back in Germany for a couple more months, but when I hit the States in December, the MiFi will be in my pocket.