PDA

View Full Version : Comcast delivering .13 MBPS internet speed

Avista
07-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Comcast delivering .13 MBPS internet speed

I think we are having a problem here. Anyone else experiencing speed of this quality? Any suggestions? Called Comcast. Then want to charge $47 for a visit if it happens to be our problem.

Ooper
07-21-2010, 07:58 AM
I have Comcast and in testing, I find I have about 18 Mb/s download and 2+ Mb/s upload.

bkcunningham1
07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
How long have you been using their service Avista?

memason
07-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I think we are having a problem here. Anyone else experiencing speed of this quality? Any suggestions? Called Comcast. Then want to charge $47 for a visit if it happens to be our problem.

If it were me, I'd try to eliminate everything possible in the loop. If you are using a wireless router, unplug it for 2 or 3 minutes and then plug it back in. Then reboot you PC and that will reset your LAN card.

If the ethernet cable is plugged directly into the back of your PC and rebooting the PC doesn't do anything, then you might need to call comcast.

However, one last question.... How do you know what the speed is now? Sometimes the software that determines your speed can give bad results. You might try something different like www.speedtest.net. This will at least give you a comparative view. It's free and there's no software to download.

OK....one MORE question.... Is your internet response slow, which would match your throughput of .13Mb/s ?

Good luck....

Mikeod
07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
My mom lives here and her internet speed was terrible. Turns out it was her modem that she brought from her previous home. It was dying a slow (pun intended!) death. Comcast replaced it with one of theirs and her speed was back to normal. The tech told us if we replaced the modem with one we bought, they would charge us for a service visit for any problem that turned out to be due to our modem. If it was their modem, no charge.

getdul981
07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
What is a good speed? I did the test you linked to and got ownload of 6.82 Mb/s and upload of 0.77 Mb/s. There was also a thing that said Ping 264 ms. Are these numbers good or bad? Our internet speed is definintely better since we switched to an N router.

zcaveman
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Is this a wired internet connection or a wireles internet connection that is slow? My wireless connection is always slower than the wired one.

memason
07-21-2010, 11:57 AM
What is a good speed? I did the test you linked to and got ownload of 6.82 Mb/s and upload of 0.77 Mb/s. There was also a thing that said Ping 264 ms. Are these numbers good or bad? Our internet speed is definintely better since we switched to an N router.

That's a pretty good speed... With more than 2Mb/s you can watch video easily. The upload speed is typical of most broadband connections, at less than 1Mb/s. This is why. It seems to take longer to upload photos or send large emails. Where i notice the lack of upload speed is during a Skype session, where you have video and audio going at the same time...

Avista
07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Problem: Comcast delivering .13 MBPS internet speed

Thank you everyone for your help. So many smart people here in The Villages :-)

Our grandson is here setting up a new computer for my husband. It was taking a long time to download anything.

They went out and bought a new Linksys Cable Modem for $39 at Best Buy. Our older modem was ancient and had taken many falls. That must have been the problem. Our speed is now 14

Before today, I also had a terrible time watching videos. The video would interrupt with buffering every few seconds.

Sounds like everything is OK now. Thanks to all.

Pturner
07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Problem: Comcast delivering .13 MBPS internet speed

Thank you everyone for your help. So many smart people here in The Villages :-)

Our grandson is here setting up a new computer for my husband. It was taking a long time to download anything.

They went out and bought a new Linksys Cable Modem for $39 at Best Buy. Our older modem was ancient and had taken many falls. That must have been the problem. Our speed is now 12

Before today, I also had a terrible time watching videos. The video would interrupt with buffering every few seconds.

Sounds like everything is OK now. Thanks to all.

Yea! Glad your problem was solved. Memason offered great advice, as usual.

As for wireless being slower than wired, as Z mentioned, we have that issue too, even though we have a good dual N band wireless Lynksys router. Hubby loves the wireless. I always disconnect it and just use the older but faster wired when he's not home. :)

Anyone know how to make wireless fly as fast as wired?

Impatient Pturner

ajbrown
07-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone know how to make wireless fly as fast as wired?

Impatient Pturner

First thing is be sure your wireless equipment supports 802.11g. Older systems are 802.11b. 11g can go up to 54mb/s, 11b can go 11 mb/s. If I recall they operate at about 50% of that.

So an older router or wireless interface in your computer using 802.11b may only be getting 5-6 mb/s (still pretty fast :))

If you have 802.11g, I am surprised anyone can tell a difference between wired and wireless when using the Internet. I can understand seeing a difference if you have a LAN at home which is 100MB or gigabit and you do alot of intra-net communication.

The slow link in the system when surfing the Internet is the Internet,

Sitting here in Nooooooorton, MA on wireless, connected to Comcast, trying the speedtest site, I get 23MB download, 8.5 MS/S upload, that is smoking.......
/* After my original post, I kept trying the speedtest. The original test above was my best. I see numbers now from 14-18download and 4-6 upload. */

I do not believe wired would do any better or the difference would be negligible. May try it sometime if I get bored....

zcaveman
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I do not believe wired would do any better or the difference would be negligible. May try it sometime if I get bored....

If I plug an Ethernet cable from my wireless router into my laptop, I can get the same speed as I do with my desktop. There is a definite difference between a wireless connection and a wired connection.

I wish I could get the same transfer rate but I do not think it is possible.

Pturner
07-21-2010, 08:00 PM
First thing is be sure your wireless equipment supports 802.11g. Older systems are 802.11b. 11g can go up to 54mb/s, 11b can go 11 mb/s. If I recall they operate at about 50% of that.

So an older router or wireless interface in your computer using 802.11b may only be getting 5-6 mb/s (still pretty fast :))

If you have 802.11g, I am surprised anyone can tell a difference between wired and wireless when using the Internet. I can understand seeing a difference if you have a LAN at home which is 100MB or gigabit and you do alot of intra-net communication.

The slow link in the system when surfing the Internet is the Internet,

Sitting here in Nooooooorton, MA on wireless, connected to Comcast, trying the speedtest site, I get 23MB download, 8.5 MS/S upload, that is smoking.......
/* After my original post, I kept trying the speedtest. The original test above was my best. I see numbers now from 14-18download and 4-6 upload. */

Thanks. I looked it up though, and it does support 802.11g. (It's a Linksys wrt610n dual-band wireless).

Yes, I can tell the difference. When I use older Lynksis wired router, most pages load almost instantaneously. Guess I'm spoiled.

GMONEY
07-22-2010, 05:22 AM
We got the new Apple Airport Extreme Wireless N set up with the Imac. Have comcast and the set up is really fast. Got rid of the Linksys and the new Apple router made a big difference.
One thing you must remember, if your driving a Porshce and the website you are trying to link to is a Yugo, then you will be riding a Yugo also. Depends on the speed the dark side has also.

Here is link to check wireless router reviews.
http://www.cnet.com/topic-reviews/wireless-router.html

ajbrown
07-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Interesting to hear that folks notice a difference surfing the Internet between wired and wireless.

I will try the speedtest site wired and wireless when I get home later. Right now I am sitting in an office where they connect to the Internet with a T1 (1.5 mb/s) :sigh:

PT and Z, Could it be the wireless adapter in the laptop is older 802.11b? When it connects does it say 54mb/s?

Russ_Boston
07-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Probably not Comcast. My connection (just tested) is 17 and 11 using a very old modem and wireless router with Comcast.

Lots of reasons why internet connections get slow. First and foremost are viruses and malware. Many programs out there to help solve that.

jojo
07-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I have an old router and Comcast in TV. Curious. I have 17 upload like Russ but only 2.66 download. Trying to figure out why the discrepancy in the download.

krash
07-22-2010, 07:36 AM
I have Comcast here in Amelia, and the last 2 days have been awful, regarding speed. I use Yahoo as my search engine, and the pages were soooooo slow in loading. Didn't matter if it was IE or Firefox.

Plus, my Vonage phone service went down a few times (uses Comcast cable line)

However, today it is much better!
Maybe they were working on the lines?

jojo
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Same experience in Amelia. Problem for a couple days. Today is fine.

tpop1
07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Sounds like Comcast had an issue.

To answer a few questions here:

Download is always faster than Upload by a factor…in the area of 4-6 times?
Wired is usually quite a bit faster than Wireless.

Sitting here in Connecticut on AT&T DSL getting :

Wired Download – 1209 KBPS & Upload 232 KBMS
Wireless Download – 128 KBPS & Upload 31 KBMS - quite a difference

I work Tech Support for a large corporation with a good number of work-at-Home employees using VOIP phone service (like Vonage) and they have to have 52 KBPS Upload or greater to use thee VOIP phones without issue. We contract with ISP’s for a service much faster than this.

Good luck.

Russ_Boston
07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
tpop - I think you need a new wireless system. No way it should be that much slower than wired. And your download/upload ratio is not good either.

My wired numbers are 17meg down, 11 meg up. Not 4-6 times slower up than down.

I will provide my wireless numbers later when I get my laptop home.

This is on my comcast broadband here in MA. I know DSL is much slower but those numbers seem REAL slow.

ajbrown
07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I finally got around to trying this....

I tried 8 tests QUICK, 4 with wireless, 4 wired directly into my Linksys.

Numbers are from speedtest.net measured in mb/sec, Download/upload

Wired
12/3
13/6
22/5
20/6

Wireless
24/4
12/5
15/5
17/5

I still believe unless your Internet can push 20 mb/sec the speed diff between wired and wireless using the Internet is negligible.

tpop1
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
tpop - I think you need a new wireless system. I know DSL is much slower but those numbers seem REAL slow.

Russ - Yes DSL is slower than Broadband like Comcast but from my observation it's plenty fast to handle VOIP and work load for my company. Wireless thru AT&T Wireless modem is much slower but I can still stram videos fine.

I need to say that AT&T could not provision me with their fastest service as I requested. Out of capacity.