PDA

View Full Version : Brag a little about famous courses you have played.

graciegirl
07-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Sweetie is the one that has been fortunate to play some well known courses.

bkcunningham1
07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Same here Gracie. My sweetie has played some famous and infamous courses. A few he's played that I was impressed with have been several at Pinehurst, Resort in NC, several at The Greenbrier Resort...the most impressive to me was Wannamoisett Country Club in Rhode Island. He said the course wasn't much, but the amenities are great. He's played in the Alps in the German town of Berchtesgaden.

kb8tpw
07-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I have never picked up a golf club in my life, though I just moved to the Villages to learn. I drove thru Pebble Beach one time when in CA on vacation does that count? I went to the Ansel Adams gallery too while in the area, but I bet that didn't make me a photographer either, did it. Oh well, golf academy give me the time to get my house landscaped and I'll be there. I bet this thread becomes interesting with all of the country's most avid golfers.....

bkcunningham1
07-22-2010, 09:48 AM
kb8tpw, I took up golf last year and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I watched for many years from the cart. Did that make me a golfer? Nope just a better beer drinker.

l2ridehd
07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
I have been very fortunate and played many great and famous golf courses. Most because of work, but a couple on my own. Have played Pebble Beach 23 times, Spyglass, Spanish Bay, and even Cypress Point, Pinehurst #2, 4, 7, and 8 several times. TPC Sawgrass, Doral Blue Monster, Beth Page Black, Shinnecock Hills, the TPC Chang Mai Lampun, and probably a few others I will remember later. But one I long to play and I would pay a lot of money for, is a tee time at Augusta.

jebartle
07-22-2010, 10:28 AM
We've played Pebble Beach, Homestead, the Dunes, Pinehurst #2, Plantation in Maui but the "ole boy" takes the cake, he played Augusta with a member that some of you might remember, Billy Jo Patton (very famous amateur back in 50's), who was a member of our home course in NC....But and this is an important BUT, we love our courses here in the Villages and all our wonderful friends.

ajbrown
07-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I was fortunate enough to qualify for the MA Amateur in 2003. It was played at The Country Club, Brookline, MA. This is the same course that hosted the Ryder Cup in 1999 (The year of the comeback).

To understand where I come from as a golfer, the best I ever got at golf was the ability if I played well to qualify for things like the MA Amateur, I had no chance to win. I had won if I got in.

Showing up that day, being treated that special, having a sign with my name on a spot on the diving range was a thrill and will leave me with memories for the rest of my life. Heck, as I get older my 2 day score even gets lower and lower :).

The history of the place was amazing, the locker room with trophies and letters from past champions. The laugh I get to this day at my good friend's (and caddy) face when he was kicked out of the locker room because he was not a player. He was told caddies use the portapotties out back :a20:

The first day of the tournament, we played the exact same course as the big boys played in 1999 Ryder Cup. It was quite a rush. Walking the same holes I had just watched the pros walk a few years earlier. This is not the normal course setup for TCC, it is made up selecting 18 of their existing 27.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Country_Club

jebartle
07-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Wow!, that must have been a thrill....good for you!

chuckinca
07-22-2010, 10:39 AM
There was a golf course on the edge of Saigon that was a part of the military recreation program. A couple of the holes were off limits due to being mined by the VC.

Also, there was a swimming pool complex with a 12 foot high brick wall around it that had a high dive platform that was not usable due to sniper action.

spk7951
07-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Last December three of my friends and I played at Bay Hill in Orlando. The golf was great but our experience at the end topped everything. As we were leaving the 18th green heading to the clubhouse we passed the 10th tee. Just then Arnold Palmer drove up to the tee stopped, said hello and asked if we had a good round. Like the commercial says that was priceless.

Number 6
07-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I have been fortunate to play Oak Hill in Rochester a number of times. This course has hosted the US Open, PGA and even the Ryder Cup. When you keep it on the fairway, it is on a carpet. No wonder the pros can hit the shots that they do! No bad lies.

batman911
07-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I have played the Koolau golf course on Oahu several times. This course is advertised as the most difficult course in the U.S. I scored an 84 the first time I played there and felt like I scored below par. No need to look for your ball if you miss the short grass, you will never find it in the jungle. By the way, it is also the most beautiful course I have seen. The website will display all the holes for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.koolaugolfclub.com/golf.cfm

bkcunningham1
07-22-2010, 07:03 PM
batman911, that is a beautiful course.

hedoman
07-23-2010, 03:43 AM
I grew up learning the game at Merion in Pennsylvania. Dad also belonged to Pine Valley and played it over 100 times. Have played Oakmont, TPC Sawgrass, Doral, Baltustrol and many other great courses.

When we move to TV next year hope the play even BETTER courses in TV!

cashman
07-23-2010, 05:11 AM
I played courses all over the world. My favorites were Dar Es Salam in Morroco, Royal Columbo in Sri Lanka, Muthaiga in Nairobi and Meena House in
Cairo right at the foot of the pyramids.

Golf courses all over Australia were also fabulous.

Playing in Burmuda and Jamaica was interesting where 75 our year old caddies carried both my wifes and my bags for 18 holes on hilly champioship courses.

SNOK
07-23-2010, 02:01 PM
The best course I have played is Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa. It is a world class layout that has hosted a US Open, several PGA Championships, a couple of Tour Championships and a US Amateur Championship. I served as a marshall for several of those tournaments. I live only two blocks from it (at least for now, until we move to TV later this year). Also played TPC Sawgrass a few years ago. Hope to do that again when I become a Florida resident. Another neat course I played a few years ago is the Boone Valley Golf Club just outside St. Louis, MO.

colleenj
07-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Torrey Pines- playing the course was part of my 50th birthday present to myself several years ago. The other part was tandem paragliding off the cliffs of La Jolla :)

brostholder
07-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Just like most of the other posters, I have played a number of "famous" courses, but one of my favorites was the classic Inverness Country Club in Toledo, Ohio.

gemlady
07-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Playing good courses is only a small measure of achievenmet. Where you have played is nothing more than a measurse of the fact that you have a lot of frivilious money available to play expensive courses or in many other cases, exploited businesss oportunities that resusted in free rounds at great courses.

Simply having played a number of courses is worth a lot less than how you played these courses. Case in point, a 98 at Pebblebeach with a par on # 18 is memorable. Breaking 100 at Spyglass hill was memorable also. Breaking 100 from the back tees at PGA West Stadium Course is an accomplishment. Finishing standing up at the Monster at the Concord Hotel in the Catskill Mountains is noteworthy, Shooting in the low to mid 90s at the Doral Blue Monster is worth remembering,

Have played Oak Hill CC in Rochester Ny many times and scored in the 80s. No, I didn't play the back tees the pros play.

Also played the CC of Rochesrter, past home of a US Womans open and did not embarress myself. Played many rounds at Locust Hill CC in Rochester, annual home of the Wegmans Classic. Was able to get around there in the high 70s and low 80s.

And believe it or not, the most memorable round I ever played was at Cane Garden here in The Villages, when I shot 70 after my 71st Birthday I could go on and on about the significance of five Hole in Ones, each of which brought more satisfaction and pleasure than hacking my way around another number of notable venus where no achievenents are realized.

It's not where you play that matters, it's how you play! Snobs and Rich People like to brag about where they have played. It's what you accomplished there that matters most.

bkcunningham1
07-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Quite the accomplishments gemlady. You have bragging rights in my book.

Mikeod
07-25-2010, 01:52 PM
I think the purpose of this thread is for people to tell others about the courses they have played. Yes, maybe bragging a little. It may stimulate some talk between people about those courses. To me, it matters not what someone shot on that course, nor how they got on the course. Sure some have more disposable income than others, or contacts that open these courses to them. So what! For others, it may be something that was on their "bucket list", and therefore worth whatever it cost them. I once played the Old Course with a gentleman from the U.S. whose lifelong desire was to play there. He was so excited to be actually teeing it up that he played horribly for the first several holes. Do you think his day was less wonderful because of that? Did it make his experience less noteworthy? Would it be wrong of him if he posted here since he didn't play well?

You write that "Snobs and Rich People like to brag about where they have played" yet that is exactly what you did.

Cliff
07-25-2010, 01:59 PM
In the early 70's, while in the USN stationed in England, I was fortunate enough to have joined some "flyboys" who took annual trips to Scotland to get in some air time and to play golf. I made two trips with them and played The Old Course at St Andrews, Carnoustie, and both the Kings Course and the Queens Course at Gleneagles, among other lesser known courses there. My most memorable moment was when I took 13 strokes trying to get out of a bunker on the Old Course, which required climbing down a ladder in order to enter the bunker. It was a horrible experience but one which I will always remember. Another great course which is here in Florida is the Slammer and Squire at the World Golf Village in St Augustine. Unfortunately I was a hacker then and am a hacker to this day with only occasional flashes of greatness (self satisfaction).

Number 6
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Gemlady-
Just a touch of hypocrisy there, no?

Bosoxfan
07-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I was lucky enough to play TPC River Highlands in CromwellCt.My brother who was my best man in 1996 knew a member .He did this for me as a surprise bachelor party. I don't remember my score but I'll always remember the feeling.of playing a course where I watched the pros play many times...Thanks bro!

rjn5656
07-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Most famous would be Pinehurst, Doral, Bethpage and Muirfield. Have been fortunate played all over - Alaska, Oregon, Califonia, Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, Mass., New York, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas.

They are all great, no matter where you play. Golf is a great game.

Pocadot55
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Doral Blue Course, Bay Hill, Olympia Fields (Chicago), Innesbrook, Oakmont in Pittsburgh (hubby played this one). One of the courses at Olympia Fields only allowed women on one of their courses once a year. I happened to be there and was allowed to play it with hubby. I don't know what all the fuss was about. It was difficult but so are all the great courses. I was much younger then and a much better golfer.

graciegirl
10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
I think the purpose of this thread is for people to tell others about the courses they have played. Yes, maybe bragging a little. It may stimulate some talk between people about those courses. To me, it matters not what someone shot on that course, nor how they got on the course. Sure some have more disposable income than others, or contacts that open these courses to them. So what! For others, it may be something that was on their "bucket list", and therefore worth whatever it cost them. I once played the Old Course with a gentleman from the U.S. whose lifelong desire was to play there. He was so excited to be actually teeing it up that he played horribly for the first several holes. Do you think his day was less wonderful because of that? Did it make his experience less noteworthy? Would it be wrong of him if he posted here since he didn't play well?

You write that "Snobs and Rich People like to brag about where they have played" yet that is exactly what you did.

I looked to read other posts from Gem Lady 'cause I was the one who encouraged you all to brag. Gem Lady has been banned.

cologal
10-30-2010, 11:44 AM
I have played the Kola golf course on Oahu several times. This course is advertised as the most difficult course in the U.S. I scored an 84 the first time I played there and felt like I scored below par. No need to look for your ball if you miss the short grass, you will never find it in the jungle. By the way, it is also the most beautiful course I have seen. The website will display all the holes for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.koolaugolfclub.com/golf.cfm

I would agree I have played that course many times...but the Turtle Bay course is really great also. My goal is to play GPA and LPG courses....so TCP Saw grass, made a par on 17, The Rail, State Farm Classic, Turtle Bay, SB'S Open, Kalina, Fields Open, Broadmoor, US Womens Open, to name a few.

dhs9099
11-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Having served in the USAF for over 21 years I've been fortunate to travel to quite a few nice courses. While serving in Europe, I spent 10 days in Scotland and got to play Carnoustie and St. Andrews (New, Eden Jubilee as well as the Old Course). For 8 of the 10 days (we went in May 1993) the weather was gorgeous. On the days we played Carnoustie and St. Andrews is was very cold, rained all day with 30 mph winds. I shot a 90 in the morning at Carnoustie and an 89 in the afternoon (which I was very proud of). My handicap at the time was a 4 so you can imagine how tough the conditions were. But I enjoyed every minute of it and would do it again in a heartbeat.