PDA

View Full Version : Advice planning a trip to CT?

Tweety Bird
07-22-2010, 11:31 AM
We are planning a trip to CT from here next month. I hear that the Interstate 95 is very bumpy after VA and that traffic is horrendous going through DC and NYC. Does anyone have a particularly good route that you've taken that skirts around these heavy trafficked areas, but where you can still make good time? Something that may include the Chesapeake Bay Bridge? I would love to hear from you. :)

spk7951
07-22-2010, 11:41 AM
We have taken the 95 route from FL to CT many times and have grown to hate the area from Alexandria VA to CT/NY border. The traffic congestion on roads are just too much. Our last few trips we have used the I-81 route in western VA and really like the scenery and lack of traffic congestion.

2newyorkers
07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I do not have a map nor a very good memory, but we have taken I75 thru Atlanta, another interstate thru Charlotte, N.C., to I81 to I78. That will take you to Newark N.J.. You should be able to drive around NYC to Conn. You drive thru the mountains of NC and Va. It is a nice drive with no DC/Baltimore/Jacksonville traffic. We stop for 2 nights because neither one of us can see at night! It is probably the same amount of time or quicker than 95. We must then drive thru NYC to Long Island where there is always traffic!

bluedog103
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
What part of CT? If you're heading to the northern or western part of the state there may be better options than I95.

Tweety Bird
07-22-2010, 05:50 PM
What part of CT? If you're heading to the northern or western part of the state there may be better options than I95.

Southbury

bluedog103
07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Why not take I-81 to I-84. I-84 crosses the Hudson River at Newburgh, NY and goes directly to Southbury. This way you avoid the northern part of I-95.

nkrifats
07-22-2010, 06:33 PM
I used I-81 during the past 3 weeks.
Avoid DC area at any cost. NJ turnpike has construction going on also.
Not sure where southbury is but would look at I-81 and then 80 to 287 and around tappan zee into ct.

Just my thoughts

Bryan
07-23-2010, 05:08 AM
To Southbury, your best bet to avoid DC and NY and NJ Turnpike is I-81 North to I-84 East. The questions is what is the best way to get onto I-81. Previously, someone mentioned I-75 then thru Charlotte and onto I-81 and that works - nice scenic drive also. If you prefer I-95 through the Carolinas, then do that to Richmond, then take I-64 West thru Charlottsville and a very pretty drive across the Blue Ridge Mountains until you intersect I-81. Then I-81 North until you get to I-84 West in New York State. Yes, it adds a few miles to your trip (probably less than 100) and saves years worth of aggrevation and a substantial amount of toll money. Except for the Hudson River Bridge at Newbury, I-81/I-84 has no tolls.

mfp509
07-23-2010, 06:13 AM
You mentioned possibly including the Chesapeake Memorial Bridge - I have gone to CT by way of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge - taking I-95 from here to VA - cutting over to Norfolk and going up 13, over the bridge on up to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I think then it is the NJ Turnpike and then I can't remember. I know you would go into CT on I-84. It might be a little longer but I missed the whole DC thing. It's been awhile.

Tweety Bird
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Thank you SOOOO much for your advice and suggestions. This will make the trip planning so much easier since we are not familiar with these routes at all. I appreciate you all. :bowdown: