PDA

View Full Version : Don't feed the wildlife

pearlsam
04-15-2020, 08:20 AM
I live on one of the ponds near the Ashland postal facility and we have a very large alligator who has taken up residence here. I am told someone is feeding it and put it in grave danger. If it becomes used to human interaction, it will become dangerous and be removed or killed. Please do not feed any wildlife.

karostay
04-15-2020, 08:21 AM
If its over 6' it will be euthanized Fla law

DeanFL
04-15-2020, 08:29 AM

.....WAIT, WHAT???....

you mean the gator or the person feeding it?

photo1902
04-15-2020, 08:32 AM
Actually it's generally 4' or larger.

Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program | FWC (https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/alligator/snap/)

anothersteve
04-15-2020, 08:43 AM

Statewide Nuisance Alligator Program | FWC (https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/alligator/snap/)

Trapping, not killing.

"Persons with concerns about an alligator may call our toll-free Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286). When someone concerned about an alligator calls the Nuisance Alligator Hotline, we will dispatch one of our contracted nuisance alligator trappers to resolve the situation. Generally, an alligator may be deemed a nuisance if it is at least four feet in length and the caller believes it poses a threat to people, pets or property.

SNAP uses contracted nuisance alligator trappers throughout the state to remove alligators from locations where they are unwanted or unwelcome. If a complaint meets the qualifying criteria, SNAP will issue a permit to a contracted nuisance alligator trapper authorizing the removal of the animal."

Steve

photo1902
04-15-2020, 08:45 AM
Trapping, not killing.

"Persons with concerns about an alligator may call our toll-free Nuisance Alligator Hotline at 866-FWC-GATOR (866-392-4286). When someone concerned about an alligator calls the Nuisance Alligator Hotline, we will dispatch one of our contracted nuisance alligator trappers to resolve the situation. Generally, an alligator may be deemed a nuisance if it is at least four feet in length and the caller believes it poses a threat to people, pets or property.

SNAP uses contracted nuisance alligator trappers throughout the state to remove alligators from locations where they are unwanted or unwelcome. If a complaint meets the qualifying criteria, SNAP will issue a permit to a contracted nuisance alligator trapper authorizing the removal of the animal."

Steve
They are euthanized. Not relocated.

LuvtheVillages
04-15-2020, 08:48 AM
Trapping, not killing.

Steve

Yes. Then after the gator is trapped and removed from sight, it is killed. The sale of the hide and meat is how the trapper is compensated.

photo1902
04-15-2020, 08:48 AM
Yes. Then after the gator is trapped and removed from sight, it is killed. The sale of the hide and meat is how the trapper is compensated.

Correct!

karostay
04-15-2020, 08:51 AM
.....WAIT, WHAT???....

you mean the gator or the person feeding it?

This day and age No Comment

karostay
04-15-2020, 08:52 AM

Always come down to size

bagboy
04-15-2020, 09:49 AM

A decent size alligator was removed from Redfish Run a few years ago because people were getting too close to it. I witnessed the removal. Bang stick to the head, loaded in their truck, and gone. No hiding anything.

bagboy
04-15-2020, 09:52 AM
And I'll add, Larry the Alligator because of his fame, is the luckiest reptile ever.

Topspinmo
04-15-2020, 09:56 AM
I live on one of the ponds near the Ashland postal facility and we have a very large alligator who has taken up residence here. I am told someone is feeding it and put it in grave danger. If it becomes used to human interaction, it will become dangerous and be removed or killed. Please do not feed any wildlife.

Don’t kill wildlife either, if harmless snake not on you’re property leave it alone. They eat mice, rats, and insects like cockroaches. If you have no clue if it’s harmless avoid it.

billethkid
04-15-2020, 10:13 AM
We move into their habitat and they become the "nuisance" (according to some)....
Then removed and killed.
Where are the special interest folks for the alligators?

Mleeja
04-15-2020, 11:26 AM
We have a couple of ducks that have adopted our small pond. I have to remind myself everyday not to feed them. Look but no touch!

Bogie Shooter
04-15-2020, 11:45 AM
We move into their habitat and they become the "nuisance" (according to some)....
Then removed and killed.

Alligators | Animal Rights Foundation of Florida (http://arff.org/alligators)

YouNeverKnow
04-15-2020, 01:04 PM
We have a couple of ducks that have adopted our small pond. I have to remind myself everyday not to feed them. Look but no touch!
We have someone on our pond that throws out huge piles of corn twice a day morning and evening every day and attracts large flocks of ducks (that have become so large they can hardly waddle), blackbirds, Sandhill Cranes, Anhingas, Cormorants, and other tropical birds.
We no longer see the ducks in the water swimming and looking for food naturally as they used to be doing. The birds just hang and wait for the their two feedings a day.
They have been doing this for many months.
I’m thinking it’s not good for the Sandhill Cranes and other tropical birds to be eating at this feeding grounds regularly instead of doing what they should be doing naturally to find food.

anothersteve
04-15-2020, 02:35 PM
We have someone on our pond that throws out huge piles of corn twice a day morning and evening every day and attracts large flocks of ducks (that have become so large they can hardly waddle), blackbirds, Sandhill Cranes, Anhingas, Cormorants, and other tropical birds.
We no longer see the ducks in the water swimming and looking for food naturally as they used to be doing. The birds just hang and wait for the their two feedings a day.
They have been doing this for many months.
I’m thinking it’s not good for the Sandhill Cranes and other tropical birds to be eating at this feeding grounds regularly instead of doing what they should be doing naturally to find food.

It's illegal to feed any wildlife here in Florida.
Steve

EdFNJ
04-15-2020, 10:25 PM
And I'll add, Larry the Alligator because of his fame, is the luckiest reptile ever.
That's what "they" say but have you ever actually seen him or asked a family member?

Travelhunter
04-16-2020, 06:18 AM
Trapping, not killing.

Steve

Thanks I never knew that. I have a seven foot alligator in my pond but it seems to stay away from people

Travelhunter
04-16-2020, 06:21 AM
It's illegal to feed any wildlife here in Florida.
Steve

I know feeding alligators is a felony. Is feeding ducks a crime

photo1902
04-16-2020, 06:29 AM
Feeding ducks and birds is not illegal. And as far as feeding alligators, it only becomes a felony after repeated violations.

davem4616
04-16-2020, 06:43 AM

now I haven't fact checked this...however I believe that it's okay as long as it's 'take out' :icon_wink::icon_wink::icon_wink:

csricksdds1
04-16-2020, 06:53 AM
There is one that likes for people to pet him....I'm not sure if this is the one or not!!

bilcon
04-16-2020, 07:01 AM
I have had a few black snakes on my property over the years. One a year, not more than that. I doubt it's the same one. Every once in a while I will see him-her. They are very fast and don't want to be around you. They are OK as long as they don't come in my garage.

bilcon
04-16-2020, 07:03 AM
:a040::a040:Feed a duck, make a new friend. Feed an alligator, lose an arm.

merrymini
04-16-2020, 07:15 AM
Alligators were hunted close to extinction and were listed under the Endangered Species Act. Hunting was prohibited and their habitat was protected. One of the finest comebacks in history. They were removed from that list in 1987 and is an industry providing meat and skins.

mgkw1
04-16-2020, 07:34 AM
The saying is "A fed alligator is a dead alligator"

bhemingway
04-16-2020, 07:35 AM
4' is the length.

Leadbone1
04-16-2020, 07:46 AM

While playing golf in Florida and South Carolina I have seen many gators well over 6 feet long. My experience is they are left alone unless they get aggressive Towards pets or humans. I don’t believe they are just randomly killed once they reach a certain size as someone stated out here?

bagboy
04-16-2020, 08:00 AM
That's what "they" say but have you ever actually seen him or asked a family member?

I didn't go and fingerprint him.

'''Larry''' the alligator of The Villages fame gets new home (https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2019/03/14/larry-the-alligator-of-the-villages-fame-gets-new-home/)

amexsbow
04-16-2020, 08:09 AM
Then removed and killed.

As a Louisiana native I have a special interest in alligators. They are delicious when cooked properly. The hides make good skins for many products. Just like cows, sheep and other animals they are farmed domestically and in the wild. Just some of natures bounty.:popcorn:

BlackhawksFan
04-16-2020, 09:11 AM

I haven't been there in a while but people feed the ducks and egrets et al at Spanish Springs all the time.

Number 10 GI
04-16-2020, 09:29 AM
There is a small lake in a state park in the city where we lived prior to TV. Ducks and geese at the lake were fed by visitors to the park and after awhile the geese decided that it was a lot easier to live there year round instead of migrating. Free food! Due to the number of geese pooping all over the place you couldn't walk the paths around the lake or do any fishing because every step landed in poop. It also affected area water quality because the lake was spring fed and the excess water drained off into the nearby rivers. The bacteria count was through the roof. Finally the state captured the geese and moved them.

Dianalea
04-16-2020, 09:29 AM
Is he the one in the pond by the nursing home st Sp Springs?

EnglishJW
04-16-2020, 09:33 AM

Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/gatorland/videos/2281856842114822/)

BillyBoy
04-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Alligator trappers have no legal access to ponds or water retention areas in TV. They are owned by the area CDD and any action requires approval from District Property Management. If you see a trap call Community Watch at 753-0550

coastalnh
04-16-2020, 10:34 AM
That's the American way - its exactly what we did to Native Americans. Killed most, relocated a few.

jacklaurie
04-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Just eat him, the gator not he person feeding him. Then again the person feeding him should be fed to him; the gator.

RedBoneJones
04-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Good grief!

Glennjy
04-16-2020, 04:18 PM
When someone feeds wildlife, the animal associates you with food and from then on, when they see people, they think food. Not only that, it can be very dangerous depending on the animal that is being fed like a gator.
Then when the animal ( the gator) gets used to people and gets too close, it is time to kill the animal. That is not fair to the animal that is being fed by ignorant people.

dougawhite
04-17-2020, 01:10 PM

We have same problem at out pond next to Palmer Cherry Hill 2nd green. Resident throws out gallons of corn/seeds and flocks show up all day to feed. BAD!

Topspinmo
04-17-2020, 03:16 PM
That's the American way - its exactly what we did to Native Americans. Killed most, relocated a few.

We? You might of but I didn’t!:duck:

Topspinmo
04-17-2020, 03:17 PM
We have same problem at out pond next to Palmer Cherry Hill 2nd green. Resident throws out gallons of corn/seeds and flocks show up all day to feed. BAD!

Probably privileged golfers? :icon_wink: