PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Chains

jean8248
04-16-2020, 12:24 PM
We hope to be travelling back to Massachusetts in May along the I 95 and I 81 corridor and spending one night on the road. Any recommendations of hotel chains that are adhering to CDC guidelines sanitizing rooms and lobbies?
We thought of checking with AAA and calling some directly but if you had any experience, it would be appreciated.
Thanks

oldtimes
04-16-2020, 01:15 PM
We received this in an email from the CEO of Marriott

We recognize that the COVID-19 virus has required all of us to be more mindful as we go through our regular activities. Daily, our hotels around the world are working to ensure that they meet the latest guidance from the CDC and WHO on hygiene and cleaning. Our hotels' health and safety measures are designed to address a broad spectrum of viruses, including COVID-19, and cover everything from handwashing hygiene and cleaning product specifications to guest room and common area cleaning procedures. Specific steps we are taking as a company can be found on our website.

Navy (SSBN 633)
04-16-2020, 02:17 PM
Marriott

retiredguy123
04-16-2020, 02:23 PM
I think that calling a hotel and asking if they are following the CDC guidelines would be a total waste of time. What are they going to say? No?

karostay
04-16-2020, 02:57 PM
Are they even open ?

Rrgolf
04-16-2020, 03:15 PM
I'd rather sleep in my car right now. My brother just drove back to Colorado by himself. 32 hours. A couple of 2 hour naps here and there

njbchbum
04-16-2020, 10:20 PM
Why take a chance - bring along your own disinfectant like Clorox Clean-Up and/or Lysol anti-viral wipes, hand sanitizer and don't forget to bring along those plastic sleeves the paper comes in and you wiped clean so your hands don't have to touch those gas pump handles!

manaboutown
04-16-2020, 10:26 PM
Don't drink from the water glasses if they smell like lemons. What Makes a Person Clean Drinking Glasses with Pledge? A Bad System – Lean Blog (https://www.leanblog.org/2013/02/what-makes-a-person-clean-drinking-glasses-with-pledge/)

Ksarracco
04-17-2020, 05:56 AM
I usually travel back and forth to CT. Several good places Fredericksburg. I’d call and ask what they are doing specifically ..I’d bring your own ‘stuff’ too. . I’d insist on having ALL linen changed. That doesn’t always get done. Best westerns always cover bed with a protective sheet tho. Bring food, snacks. Be careful, if traveling with a dog don’t use rest areas.

buzz48
04-17-2020, 06:03 AM
Bring your own glass would be the prudent thing to do.

Drdoug49
04-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Go on trip advisor, click reviews that emphasize cleanliness of the room. Also Iam staying at more higher end hotels this time. Stay safe

TomPerry
04-17-2020, 06:22 AM
There is an app called iExit for iPhones and Android. It will show every hotel, restaurant and gas station on every exit on interstate highways. Allow it to access your location and it will follow you along the interstate and you can see the exits coming up. You can also use it to plan ahead by selecting the highway then selecting the state.

jimbo2012
04-17-2020, 06:29 AM
trust your life to a chamber maid:ohdear:

sleep in the car or bring a tent

No way

rlcooper70
04-17-2020, 06:38 AM
Worry not about three weeks hence ... a big error is to predict the distant future on the basis of a look at the immediate past. Each day we see change. Each week as well. Wait to worry.

detown
04-17-2020, 07:13 AM
I bought us some special motel sleeping bags on Home Depot. Cheap and very light weight. A jersey material.

davem4616
04-17-2020, 07:24 AM
We hope to be travelling back to Massachusetts in May along the I 95 and I 81 corridor and spending one night on the road. Any recommendations of hotel chains that are adhering to CDC guidelines sanitizing rooms and lobbies?
We thought of checking with AAA and calling some directly but if you had any experience, it would be appreciated.
Thanks

we are originally from Mass also, but haven't made that run recently

I'd check with AAA they might have information on which hotels are actually open and are sanitizing rooms and lobbies....

some of the hotels that are open are operating with limited staff and some are only open for medical folks that need to quarantine

hopefully things will have started to return to normal in May

good luck

ApplePir2
04-17-2020, 08:51 AM
We drove back to Long Island, NY last month along I-95 and stayed in Beaufort, SC. At the time our usual hotel was closed but the owner recommended Hilton, Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn. We chose Hampton Inn and found it very clean with common areas being disinfected frequently. I brought Clorox wipes, went over all surfaces of the room with them and brought my own pillows and blanket. We slept in our clothing, showered and washed hair, put all used clothing in a sealed bag before taking out clean clothes. I made sandwiches with food we brought with us but did make a Starbucks stop. Next day we drove 12 hours to our home. Very little traffic through Washington D.C., Baltimore and New Jersey. Good luck and stay safe.

Barefoot
04-17-2020, 08:59 AM

Raybemis1
04-17-2020, 09:00 AM
We are going back to MA on 5/3 - Staying at Holiday Inn Express at Exit 3 (I95) in Delaware. They are still open. You sign a waiver when you are there that your travel is essential (to cover their butt).

Richpw
04-17-2020, 09:03 AM
Hampton Inn, Litchell Rd., Salem, VA. Just off of 81 about half way to MA. Very nice.

Skunky1
04-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Take toilet paper with you

Beta Blocker
04-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Hampton Inn, Emporia, VA off I-95 has rooms available and is open. I will be staying there end of the month. About 670 miles from TV.

asianthree
04-17-2020, 09:14 AM
We always drive 18 hours straight thru, since I don’t sleep much it’s not a problem. Every week we go to Gainesville and if we had to stay UF uses Comfort Inn.

pfg0480
04-17-2020, 09:15 AM
Hi Jean, We lived in Mass. and know the route well. If it were me, in the interest of abundant caution, I'd make that drive by bringing a couple towels and face cloths, some hand sanitizer, and sandwiched or other "eats" for the trip. I'd drive as far as I reasonable could and pull into a rest stop. Sleep (as best I could) in the car, wash up (as best I could) at the rest stop, and continue on my way. I've done it before. Not the most pleasant but it works. Hand sanitizer for after touching anything someone else may have touched in cases where I can't wash my hands. Be safe.

Pno212@aol.com
04-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Great App
Just what we we’re looking for.
Tks a lot

Jclausen
04-17-2020, 09:55 AM
My friends stayed at a Holiday Inn in Virginia. They said it was immaculate!

emjzurawski91@gmail.com
04-17-2020, 10:09 AM
Holiday Inn Express

erojohn
04-17-2020, 10:17 AM
Take 1 roll of TP. Leave your extra TP rolls with a friend. If you have no friends I could be one.

Becky&
04-17-2020, 10:54 AM
Hotels and motels ALMOST NEVER change a bedspread. I never sit on one unless I am fully clothed. I would strip it off the bed ASAP when getting in a room.

We are delaying going back to Albany, NY b/c of all of this. We travel with animals to make it harder. I have a compromised immune system so am being very cautious. The hotel issue still is an unknown.

Nanny32162
04-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Thanks
I think that the Hampton Inns are conforming, double check with the hotel when you make your reservation.

Before traveling, I would say to myself, is it absolutely necessary that I travel? Also, have you thought of rest stops on your trip? Do you want to use public restrooms at this time? If you need to get off for gasoline and a rest stop, where will you go? The fast food chains are take-out only, so their facilities may not be open. I heard that some places are putting out porta potties, are these what you want to use, no water, chemical flush? Just offering food for thought.

Nick Kelly
04-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Left TV the Saturday before Easter for Northest PA. Best trip ever. Saved 2 hours. No traffic, no construction, squeaky clean hotels, Arbys ,Dunkin Donuts, Burger King, Chinese, Pizza Hut !!! Had cruise control on most of the time. The only time we got out of the car was the one night stay at good hotel. I wiped down the room cleaned my hands and we experienced no problems. The wife has a compromised immune system so we were careful. I liked the electric signs when you entered a different state. A lot said" Go Home, Stay Home"

tophcfa
04-17-2020, 12:55 PM
When I make the drive I will have the cap on the back of my pick-up truck with an inflatable mattress in the truck bed. Any Walmart or other big box store parking lot will be where I pull over to sleep. I will bring all the food and water I need for the drive and disposable gloves and hand sanitizer for pumping gas. I will also fill a couple of thermoses with hot coffee for the ride. The only problem I can't seem to easily solve will be finding a safe place to go to the bathroom. Also, I always cut over to I81 in Fredericksburg to avoid all the Washington DC, Baltimore, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York traffic. It's a longer ride home mileage wise, but I can't stand getting stuck in traffic and would much rather drive further than sit in traffic. However, this time I may risk taking I95 all the way North since traffic should be much lighter than usual.

rrb48310
04-17-2020, 01:57 PM
There is an app called iExit for iPhones and Android. It will show every hotel, restaurant and gas station on every exit on interstate highways. Allow it to access your location and it will follow you along the interstate and you can see the exits coming up. You can also use it to plan ahead by selecting the highway then selecting the state.

Cool tool, thanks for the app tip. :coolsmiley:

davem4616
04-17-2020, 01:58 PM
We always drive 18 hours straight thru, since I don’t sleep much it’s not a problem. Every week we go to Gainesville and if we had to stay UF uses Comfort Inn.

I have to say this....actually you are the problem

you don't have the same motor skills to react that you had years ago

and now you're compounding it by staying at the wheel for 18 hours

you're a danger to every other driver on the road :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Stu from NYC
04-17-2020, 02:02 PM
If you have to go would sleep in my car and bring most if not all of my food as well.

manaboutown
04-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Take toilet paper with you

I never leave home without it!

kathyspear
04-17-2020, 03:04 PM
I have to say this....actually you are the problem

you don't have the same motor skills to react that you had years ago

and now you're compounding it by staying at the wheel for 18 hours

you're a danger to every other driver on the road :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

The poster did say "we". I assume that means two people are taking turns driving. Just saying ...

kathy

PugMom
04-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Hi Jean, We lived in Mass. and know the route well. If it were me, in the interest of abundant caution, I'd make that drive by bringing a couple towels and face cloths, some hand sanitizer, and sandwiched or other "eats" for the trip. I'd drive as far as I reasonable could and pull into a rest stop. Sleep (as best I could) in the car, wash up (as best I could) at the rest stop, and continue on my way. I've done it before. Not the most pleasant but it works. Hand sanitizer for after touching anything someone else may have touched in cases where I can't wash my hands. Be safe.i also travel your 'way'. i'm lucky my car is big & comfy enuf to grab a spot in the backseat with the dog. i park @ Pilot Station gas/rest stops, -they have all i need, inc. use of a hot shower the next morning. they provide towels, (but i prefer my own), food & drinks available all nite & the friendship/security of friendly truckers also spending the night. the parking lots are well lit, i've always felt safe there. happy travels!

BlkBlt6
04-17-2020, 03:36 PM
I drove north 2 1/2 weeks ago. At all stops I had a large can of Lysol, gloves, and a mask. Stayed at a Residents Inn (owned by Marriott) which was very clean. I sprayed Lysol around the room. Stripped the bed of their covers and sheets, put my own sheeets on the bed and got in and out of the hotel as quick as possible. I made a bunch of sandwiches and fruit and energy bars and a large 1/2 gal Yeti of coffee and brought water. All was good.

Joyce952
04-17-2020, 05:03 PM
That is how we are feeling, sleep in our car on the way north

bpascani
04-17-2020, 11:30 PM
I would take my own wipes, and a bottle of home made clorox/water, just in case

leftyf
04-18-2020, 09:26 AM
Ask Alexa if there are any motels open on I95

Curtisbwp
04-18-2020, 10:39 AM
I'm from Southie, born down on A street, raised up on B street

jacklaurie
04-19-2020, 03:41 PM
I prefer Comfort Suites....

tophcfa
04-19-2020, 08:08 PM
Ask Alexa if there are any motels open on I95

Will never use one of those things. I like my privacy, I don't want a device that can listen to everything. Not happening.

OrangeBlossomBaby
04-19-2020, 08:20 PM
You'll need to check with hotels to find out if they're even open. In some areas, the hotels have closed and aren't accepting reservations yet.

njbchbum
04-19-2020, 10:47 PM
You'll need to check with hotels to find out if they're even open. In some areas, the hotels have closed and aren't accepting reservations yet.

What areas would that be?