PDA

View Full Version : Justin Cronin's The Passage?

Taltarzac
07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Anyone else read this? I had to put it down after about 300 pages to go to something of a lighter fare. It is a 766 page book. The vampires in it are the result of attempts to create the ultimate bunker busters.

zcaveman
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
No. But as an aside what is the thing with vampires these days - movies, TV shows, books. I could never get interested.

Pats2010
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
No. But as an aside what is the thing with vampires these days - movies, TV shows, books. I could never get interested.

I think it really took off with HBO's True Blood about 2 years ago.

Taltarzac
07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I think it really took off with HBO's True Blood about 2 years ago.

...which are quite different from the HBO Series. The characters are similar but the stories told about them are extremely different.

I bought the tenth or so Sookie Stackhouse novels a few months ago. These are also called the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris.

zcaveman
07-27-2010, 11:55 AM
In my day, vampires (Christopher Lee as Dracula) could not take light and his image did not show in mirrors. In the ABC "The Gates", they shop in the daytime and preen in the mirrors and chomp on necks at night. I like Rhona Mitra so I watch it. :a040: :pepper2:

My wife liked the Twilight saga books but could not stand the movies.

Pats2010
07-27-2010, 12:21 PM
...which are quite different from the HBO Series. The characters are similar but the stories told about them are extremely different.

I bought the tenth or so Sookie Stackhouse novels a few months ago. These are also called the Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris.

Yea, I bet they spiced it up for television. I also bet that the sales for the books went up since the HBO's series started.

Irish Rover
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Tal - were you the person who recommended "The Grey Man"? If so, how about a thumbnail of the plot. Thanks IR

Taltarzac
07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Tal - were you the person who recommended "The Grey Man"? If so, how about a thumbnail of the plot. Thanks IR

Not familiar with the book or movie?

It looks like nedisthatu recommended Mark Greaney's The Grey Man.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26103&highlight=grey