PDA

View Full Version : Mallory Hill Golf

tophcfa
05-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Not to steal the thread, but it is titled Mallory Hill. Has anyone played golf there since the reopening, and if so, have the greens fully recovered?

rjn5656
05-12-2020, 12:03 PM
They have, but all the courses are getting aerated, sanded and seeded.

tophcfa
05-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Hmmm, thanks for the information. Apparently the aeration is not happening according to the posted schedule. I guess it is wort checking with the course for their aeration schedule versus looking at the Golf the Villages website.

kcrazorbackfan
05-13-2020, 05:44 PM
Played Amelia to Caroline late last week; the greens and fairways were really good.

golfing eagles
05-13-2020, 05:48 PM
Played Amelia to Caroline late last week; the greens and fairways were really good.

Played Caroline to Virginia yesterday. Greens are in good shape but pretty slow and little inconsistent. Fairways are the usual, which in my case always turns out to be a downhill wedge off hardpan over a bunker to a tight pin:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

HIgolfers
05-13-2020, 09:03 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the information. Apparently the aeration is not happening according to the posted schedule. I guess it is wort checking with the course for their aeration schedule versus looking at the Golf the Villages website.

The aeration schedule is not up to date, as you correctly noted. I tried calling the Priority Golf office and they gave me incorrect info. They said only the closed nines at each course are being aerated and then are being given time to recover before re-opening. That is not true. I think the only solution (tho tedious) is to call every course.

Rwirish
05-14-2020, 05:39 AM
Greens have recovered. Disappointed in the fairway conditions. Typical TV conditions , dry and hard and very tight grass.

Guitarman1951
05-14-2020, 01:52 PM
Not to steal the thread, but it is titled Mallory Hill. Has anyone played golf there since the reopening, and if so, have the greens fully recovered?

We played Amelia to Caroline last Thursday and fairways are decent and greens are very good. Wouldn't worry about it at all. Now if I can shoot a 40 on Caroline, the conditions had to be good!!!

stevemac
05-14-2020, 02:27 PM
The shot you described is a guaranteed chunk for me. Fairway grass is thin,low and the ground below it is like concrete.

tophcfa
05-14-2020, 02:33 PM
This is very strange. I did not start this thread, but instead responded to the OP's original post about the food a Mallory. Somehow the OP's original post got deleted and I show up as the OP? That's why post #1 starts with "Not to steal the thread". Never had that happen before?

DrBrutyle109
05-15-2020, 05:37 AM
Played Amelia a week ago. Greens were decent.

MStewart73
05-15-2020, 06:18 AM
Played Mallory yesterday good shape greens were very good just a little slow

donassaid
05-16-2020, 09:39 AM
Have played Mallory twice since reopening. Greens are good but not mowed tight enough. Fairways and tee boxes are the best in The Villages.

FedEx
05-17-2020, 09:59 AM

Not sure where you've been the last few years, but the overseeding of greens and fairways was stopped at least 4-5 years ago.

noslices1
05-19-2020, 06:47 AM

Played Mallory last week and it’s in great condition. The starter told us that most of the courses had the greens punched during the shutdown when only 18 holes were being used. Mallory won’t be punched agin until August. Don’t know about the other courses.

Bethwill
05-20-2020, 05:58 AM
Got stuck with Caroline 2 weeks ago. Greens were the longest and slowest I've seen in 6 years. The starters sent my group out BEFORE our tee time, not waiting for all to arrive, and made a total mess out of our group. Thought they were supposed to hold till actual tee time. I was 15 minutes early and they had gone out. Not going half hour early to social distance and sweat.

Singerlady
05-20-2020, 07:04 AM
Have played 2x in the past week. Greens look good.

wsachs
05-20-2020, 07:08 AM
I played Amelia with my wife yesterday. The greens were in great shape and the fairways were better than some of the others I've played so far.

LRitchey26
05-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Played Mallory Amelia greens are great

Guitarman1951
05-28-2020, 08:06 AM
Played shortly after opening and it was fine. Greens were in good shape. Many people hate Caroline and say it's too hard or unfair. That is all BS. It has about 3 very tough holes, #1, #5 & #7 but guess what, every course here has 2 or 3 or more very tough holes on them, including even the old Orange Blossom course. I love all the courses here and conditions change due to various reasons from time to time(worst is in winter due to high play and lack of rain). You just understand that and play on!!!

John_W
05-28-2020, 09:05 AM
Played shortly after opening and it was fine. Greens were in good shape. Many people hate Caroline and say it's too hard or unfair. That is all BS. It has about 3 very tough holes, #1, #5 & #7 but guess what, every course here has 2 or 3 or more very tough holes on them, including even the old Orange Blossom course. I love all the courses here and conditions change due to various reasons from time to time(worst is in winter due to high play and lack of rain). You just understand that and play on!!!

I've put in a request for Mallory the past 3 weeks, twice didn't get it, tomorrow were playing Ameila to Caroline. I use to hate Caroline as well, but when you get better, it's a better challenge.

My most hateful hole is #8 at Killdeer at Evans Prairie. I've played it about 25 times now. I remember the first time I hit my driver off the tee and went over the bunker on the right, thinking it was a great shot, it was in a pond. Next time I hit a hybrid off the tee to the left and it went in the swamp, from the white tees it's only 190 to the marsh. It's a screwed up hole, also don't like #6, the dogleg right with the pond on the right and the big tree on the corner. I really like Osprey to Egret, skip Killdeer whenever I can.

coalminer
05-29-2020, 05:21 AM
Fairway conditions dont concern me, because I'm never on them