PDA

View Full Version : Golf course discussion for week of May 11, 2020

mtlee024
05-15-2020, 10:07 AM
I play the Championship Golf Courses three times a week. I am going to discuss the course condition on a weekly basis. For the week of May 11th:

Played Tierra Del Sol Monday. The course is in terrible condition. Recently punched with large holes and lots of sand still on the greens. The greens were very bumpy. Same for the tee boxes which had very little to no grass on them. I have been playing golf for over 50 years in the state of Florida, and I have never seen this bad a job done.

Played Havana Tuesday. Course was in very good good condition just coming off of aerification. Good grass on the greens and fairways, although the par 3 tee boxes, (white tees), need more grass. The new style cups were cut mostly correct. There were a few that were not cut deep enough.

Played Cane Thursday: Course was in very good good condition just coming off of aerification. Good grass on the greens and fairways, although the par 3 tee boxes, (white tees), need more grass. The cups on the Jacaranda holes were ALL cut incorrectly, that is not cut deep enough. Some of the holes had the new plastic cup only a 1/4 inch deep.

Conclusions. If Tierra Del Sol was a real Country Club its members would have the ground crew and greenkeeper fired. Whoever did the aerification has no clue how to do the job correctly. Or worse, they don't care.

The golf course admin teams needs to get grass on the tee boxes, and teach someone how to change the tees on a regular basis, especially the par 3's.

The golf course admin teams needs to teach the cup cutters how to cut a holle correctly and teach them were no to put cups.

I don't think it is to much to ask for grass on the course and cups cut correctly. This is a management problem and needs to be corrected by management.

Bogie Shooter
05-15-2020, 10:13 AM
Country Club Administration 352-753-3396 1030 Lake Sumter Landing 32162

billethkid
05-15-2020, 12:14 PM
I play the Championship Golf Courses three times a week. I am going to discuss the course condition on a weekly basis. For the week of May 11th:

Played Tierra Del Sol Monday. The course is in terrible condition. Recently punched with large holes and lots of sand still on the greens. The greens were very bumpy. Same for the tee boxes which had very little to no grass on them. I have been playing golf for over 50 years in the state of Florida, and I have never seen this bad a job done.

Played Havana Tuesday. Course was in very good good condition just coming off of aerification. Good grass on the greens and fairways, although the par 3 tee boxes, (white tees), need more grass. The new style cups were cut mostly correct. There were a few that were not cut deep enough.

Played Cane Thursday: Course was in very good good condition just coming off of aerification. Good grass on the greens and fairways, although the par 3 tee boxes, (white tees), need more grass. The cups on the Jacaranda holes were ALL cut incorrectly, that is not cut deep enough. Some of the holes had the new plastic cup only a 1/4 inch deep.

Conclusions. If Tierra Del Sol was a real Country Club its members would have the ground crew and greenkeeper fired. Whoever did the aerification has no clue how to do the job correctly. Or worse, they don't care.

The golf course admin teams needs to get grass on the tee boxes, and teach someone how to change the tees on a regular basis, especially the par 3's.

The golf course admin teams needs to teach the cup cutters how to cut a holle correctly and teach them were no to put cups.

I don't think it is to much to ask for grass on the course and cups cut correctly. This is a management problem and needs to be corrected by management.

Be sure to send your observations to those who are in a position to do something about it.
Those who play already know.

dewilson58
05-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Be sure to send your observations to those who are in a position to do something about it.
Those who play already know.

:1rotfl:

Regor
05-15-2020, 12:27 PM
The Villages should invest in these. Charge every on on the champ courses 50 cents extra for one week and they would be paid for.

Golf Ball E-Z Lyft (https://golfballezlyft.com/)

CWGUY
05-15-2020, 03:46 PM

:icon_wink: Aren't you the guy that last month said "It is what it is, we all have choices."

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-rates-go-up-again-305037/index2.html Post # 23 :popcorn: Won't that apply here too?

Marathon Man
05-15-2020, 04:50 PM
I agree with some of the others. Reporting course conditions as a way to help others choose a course is a kind thing to do. But the commentary at the end will get old fast. Maybe the OP could drop the commentary on his TOTV posts, and include it in his emails to the golf administration.

davem4616
05-15-2020, 06:17 PM
if ya don't speak up, management will think that everything is hunky dory...go for it

sloanst
05-16-2020, 08:43 AM
For the most part, The Villages golf courses are not maintained very well. On one hand, many players do not fill their divots, fix their ball marks and even before Covid-19, they didn't rake the sand traps. If an ambassador says something, a complaint is filed and they lose the job. On the other hand, the courses are treated as a money making operation where costs are cut to the bone and prices increase every year, about 18% this year. IMHO The premium prices simply aren't worth it due to substandard course conditions. That's why I play later in the day or outside of the bubble. Sooner or later, it won't be worth the expense to live here.

justjim
05-16-2020, 08:47 AM
OP, thanks for the report on the Championship courses. You obviously care about course conditions and I assume you will send your report to the proper managers. Although I don’t play the championship courses as often as I use to, your report is appreciated.

mtlee024
05-16-2020, 08:50 AM
:icon_wink: Aren't you the guy that last month said "It is what it is, we all have choices."

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/golf-rates-go-up-again-305037/index2.html Post # 23 :popcorn: Won't that apply here too?
Yes I am and it is still valid, but that has nothing to do with what I reported. Just the facts mam.

donassaid
05-16-2020, 09:32 AM
Good to know. I played Evan's Prairie on Thursday. Greens were "fair" and fairways were awful. Lopez yesterday. Greens were magnificent but a tad firm. Fairways and tee boxes were very poor. According to David Williams, Director of Golf, the mowers are set to cut fairways at 5/8" but that is a joke. More like 1/8". I realize it has been dry but they are watering everyday and we have been blessed with cool nights and warm days - ideal grass growing conditions. They should just quit mowing altogether for a couple of weeks and let the grass grow.

TJLAMPHERE
05-16-2020, 09:34 AM
Have the raised cups been replaced by normal, in the ground cups? This from a Snowbird that left April 29.

Jazzman
05-16-2020, 09:50 AM
Good to know. I played Evan's Prairie on Thursday. Greens were "fair" and fairways were awful. Lopez yesterday. Greens were magnificent but a tad firm. Fairways and tee boxes were very poor. According to David Williams, Director of Golf, the mowers are set to cut fairways at 5/8" but that is a joke. More like 1/8". I realize it has been dry but they are watering everyday and we have been blessed with cool nights and warm days - ideal grass growing conditions. They should just quit mowing altogether for a couple of weeks and let the grass grow.

They can water everyday and it won’t make much difference on the fairways with the grass cut way to short. These fairways are meant not to pool water, so unless the fairway has been properly aerated the some but not all water will be absorbed. Taking a proper divot when hitting on the fairways around here puts you at risk of bone joint damage 😎. The greens IMO are another story. On most courses they’re not consistent from hole to hole. Some are like rolling ball on a carpet and in the same course others are like rolling a ball on cement. I would be happy if they spent more time watering and cutting the greens properly but they don’t.

daddymac1127
05-16-2020, 09:55 AM
Our group played off-site yesterday at Spruce Creek South. Talk about a golf course not in good shape. Fairways were all brown. It was like hitting off hardpan. Every green had some sand on it. Putting was like being on pavement.

I don't think that any of The Villages courses are as bad.

But as I say not many of us are PRO GOLFERS. Our time has come and gone. Why are we concerned about a great score. Although we do feel good when we do have one.

I say being able to play golf anytime we want (or do anything else) BEATS THE ALTERNATIVE. Lets all be happy we have a place like The Villages.

Dilligas
05-16-2020, 10:24 AM

I play championship courses five times a week and much of what you said is factual, however if you played TDS the week of May 11, only a couple days after aeration on May 8, you can not complain about the aeration holes, sand or bumpy greens. It is known that aerated greens require about 2 weeks to recover. I keep the aeration schedule on hand and do not play within two weeks of aeration if possible. As for the everyone's complaint of the tightness of the fairways. With the COVID-19 restrictions, we have twice as many carts driving on the fairways. In addition, we have far too many RA tags, who's owners think they can drive anyplace they want...including right up to the green's edge, next to tee boxes, and cutting across country to the next tee box instead of taking the cart paths. I find that those that complain the most are the worst offenders. I commend the golf administration in the condition of the greens this year. They are overall the best I have seen in 10 years in TV. Except for Mallory which had a maintainence mishap, all the greens have been in very good shape this year. We as golfers need to be better patrons for our courses and fill all the divots in your area and on tee boxes, fix multiple ball marks on every green, smooth the bunkers and leave them in better shape than when you arrived, stay on the cart paths as much as possible and keep carts with RA tags away from greens.

Tom Kubala
05-16-2020, 10:29 AM
I am curious about all the holes in one when there are no holes for the balls to fall into.

JoMar
05-16-2020, 11:39 AM
No rain, restricted watering, thousands of rounds of golf (more than any off site course), increased cart usage, no enforcement of rules, inconsiderate players both of others and the courses....not sure we will see much improvement. As an aside, I heard from the third cousin to a server at a club who knew a guy in the pro shop that they cut so short so the average golfer gets more roll and is easier to find which keeps play moving. :)

Jazzman
05-16-2020, 12:08 PM
I play championship courses five times a week and much of what you said is factual, however if you played TDS the week of May 11, only a couple days after aeration on May 8, you can not complain about the aeration holes, sand or bumpy greens. It is known that aerated greens require about 2 weeks to recover. I keep the aeration schedule on hand and do not play within two weeks of aeration if possible. As for the everyone's complaint of the tightness of the fairways. With the COVID-19 restrictions, we have twice as many carts driving on the fairways. In addition, we have far too many RA tags, who's owners think they can drive anyplace they want...including right up to the green's edge, next to tee boxes, and cutting across country to the next tee box instead of taking the cart paths. I find that those that complain the most are the worsE offenders. I commend the golf administration in the condition of the greens this year. They are overall the best I have seen in 10 years in TV. Except for Mallory which had a maintainence mishap, all the greens have been in very good shape this year. We as golfers need to be better patrons for our courses and fill all the divots in your area and on tee boxes, fix multiple ball marks on every green, smooth the bunkers and leave them in better shape than when you arrived, stay on the cart paths as much as possible and keep carts with RA tags away from greens.

I played Mallory last Sunday. The greens must have improved by the time you played. I found the cut on the greens inconsistent from green to green. Some over cut others undercut. They should all be the same. The more undercut the green is the more excessive roll which then forces many players to chip which delays play. These courses are not hosting PGA event so the undercut especially now is not necessary and stresses the green

maggie1
05-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Have the raised cups been replaced by normal, in the ground cups? This from a Snowbird that left April 29.

The PVC pipe has been cut to green level, and in some case just below green level. A putt will now drop into the hole, and rest against the flag stick for easy removal. Now, if you get a hole-in-one, it's legitimate! None of that hit the collar at mach 1speed and claim an Ace.

mjpuleo
05-16-2020, 02:10 PM
Sorry, but there are more important things right now that are being taken care of in our hometown (roads, upkeep of recreation centers, landscaping, etc.) Golf is not everyone's top priority.

maggie1
05-16-2020, 02:18 PM
I am curious about all the holes in one when there are no holes for the balls to fall into.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. I believe all those thousands of aces that are listed in the Daily Sun should have an asterisk symbol after their name if it involves anything other than a tee shot resulting in the ball actually going into the hole.

Knit pickey? Yeah, maybe I am.

Dana1963
05-16-2020, 03:09 PM
Thanks for letting us know of the poor conditions. Have you complained or get a reduction in fees. Why do people complain fees will continue to go up and up will you still support or boycott?

HIgolfers
05-16-2020, 03:24 PM
I play championship courses five times a week and much of what you said is factual, however if you played TDS the week of May 11, only a couple days after aeration on May 8, you can not complain about the aeration holes, sand or bumpy greens. It is known that aerated greens require about 2 weeks to recover. I keep the aeration schedule on hand and do not play within two weeks of aeration if possible. As for the everyone's complaint of the tightness of the fairways. With the COVID-19 restrictions, we have twice as many carts driving on the fairways. In addition, we have far too many RA tags, who's owners think they can drive anyplace they want...including right up to the green's edge, next to tee boxes, and cutting across country to the next tee box instead of taking the cart paths. I find that those that complain the most are the worst offenders. I commend the golf administration in the condition of the greens this year. They are overall the best I have seen in 10 years in TV. Except for Mallory which had a maintainence mishap, all the greens have been in very good shape this year. We as golfers need to be better patrons for our courses and fill all the divots in your area and on tee boxes, fix multiple ball marks on every green, smooth the bunkers and leave them in better shape than when you arrived, stay on the cart paths as much as possible and keep carts with RA tags away from greens.

I would love to check an aeration schedule before deciding which champ course to play but the schedule posted on GOLFTHEVILLAGES is incorrect. It is dated April 24 but its wrong. I don't underestand why they cannot post an updated schedule.

I called the Golf Course admin office (because I did not want to call every pro shop to check when they aerated) and was told each country club is only aerating the nine hole course not closed. (this was 2 weeks ago when there were only 18 holes open per club). And that the 9 hole course would be given time to recover before reopening. This is BS. Didn't happen that way.

jarodrig
05-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Our group played off-site yesterday at Spruce Creek South. Talk about a golf course not in good shape. Fairways were all brown. It was like hitting off hardpan. Every green had some sand on it. Putting was like being on pavement.

I don't think that any of The Villages courses are as bad.

But as I say not many of us are PRO GOLFERS. Our time has come and gone. Why are we concerned about a great score. Although we do feel good when we do have one.

I say being able to play golf anytime we want (or do anything else) BEATS THE ALTERNATIVE. Lets all be happy we have a place like The Villages.

Spruce Creek South ??? OMG !!!! I wouldn’t play there if it were free !!!!! 😱

Rwirish
05-17-2020, 02:13 AM
Great post, thanks for doing this.

kcrazorbackfan
05-17-2020, 07:40 AM

Hahahahahahaha!!

Big applause!!

kcrazorbackfan
05-17-2020, 07:51 AM
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I believe all those thousands of aces that are listed in the Daily Sun should have an asterisk symbol after their name if it involves anything other than a tee shot resulting in the ball actually going into the hole.

Knit pickey? Yeah, maybe I am.

I’ve railed on that also. The hole in ones, the eagles and the age breakers (along with the goofy pics of people posing next to the raised pipes) in the happy paper
are going to drop substantially.

Real golf has began again.

And 3, 2, 1 go.....

Edjkoz
05-17-2020, 09:12 AM

5/8 of an inch? I doubt they ever let it grow that long.

DrBrutyle109
05-18-2020, 05:19 AM
The airification takes 10 to 14 days to recover. So unless you know when, and what type, airification they did, you should be careful on that. I do agree however, that the conditions overall should be a little better.
Core airation are large holes that are filled with sand that is treated with chemicals that get under the surface. Deep tine airation is a very small hole an usually does not need top dressing.

DrBrutyle109
05-18-2020, 05:21 AM
You sir are 1,000% correct

dewilson58
05-18-2020, 05:30 AM
5/8 of an inch? I doubt they ever let it grow that long.

would love to see 5/8.
if that's 5/8, i vote for two inches

manhattan
05-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Appreciate the update on champ courses will play the ones that are in better condition from your posts. Would think with all the villagers paying monthly dues the budget for maintaining and hiring qualified personnel would not be an issue.

jarodrig
05-21-2020, 07:47 AM
Appreciate the update on champ courses will play the ones that are in better condition from your posts. Would think with all the villagers paying monthly dues the budget for maintaining and hiring qualified personnel would not be an issue.

Our amenity fees are not “dues” and have nothing to do with maintenance of the Championship courses .....

DanBrew
05-23-2020, 06:19 AM
Please, please, please let the flippin bermuda grass grow in the fairways. Why is there a need to have short burlap on concrete. Not mowing so frequently will save a few bucks as well. It would also be nice if greenside bunkers were groomed once in awhile. I'm really wondering if the people in charge of these courses know what they are doing. I played Evans Prairie and one of the tee boxes were nothing but dirt where the markers were. They clearly had not been moved for weeks as the rest of the tee had grass on it. I mean really.

calibantwo
05-23-2020, 12:30 PM
A major cause of the no-grass problem is that the fairways and tee boxes are cut too short. The fairways on some courses look like the greens.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
05-24-2020, 06:23 AM

A greens aerifier is a very slow moving machine and it takes a long time to properly aerify a green. In order to do the job in much less time, some companies will use a fairways aerifier or the type of aerfifer that is used on lawns.

With a greens aerifier you might be able to do five to nine greens in a day. With a fairway aerifier they can do 18 greens in less than eight hours.

I'm not saying that this is what's happening because I haven't seen it myself. I'm simply speculating on what might be the cause.

Unfortunately, when owners of a golf course contract out the maintenance the company is going to try to do the job as inexpensively as possible.

What is surprising to me is that The Villages does everything so well except golf. The pools, tennis and pickleball courts, rec centers, cart paths, flowers and everything else seem perfect until you get onto a golf course. What many here call excellent conditions are simply mediocre public course conditions. I've played golf all over this country and in some other countries and I've never seen conditions as bad as I see here then they are bad.

I've also heard he excuse that these courses get so much play in the winter. I've worked and played at many courses in Florida and guess what? They all get a huge amount of play in the winter. Yet most of the places that I've worked and played have been able to maintain decent conditions year round.

I think that part of the problem is that some of the courses were poorly designed. Most people don't understand that 75% of a golf course is underground. If what's under the grass isn't done correctly to begin with you never have a chance of maintaining it properly. This is especially true of the older courses north of 466.

They can keep sodding over problem areas, but unless they correct what's underground the new sod will always fail.

The problem is, I'm afraid they simply don't care. They're not making any profit from the executive courses to they no motivation whatsoever to keep them maintained. The so called championship courses have an almost captive audience so there is little to motivate them to attract golfers with excellent conditions. I realize that some people play off campus, but most do not. For most, it is simply too convenient to get into your golf cart, drive to your nearest 18-27 hole course, pay you fee and play. As long as the courses are full, they have no reason to improve conditions.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
05-24-2020, 06:39 AM

I haven't had a lot of experience with Bermuda fairways, but 5/8" seems pretty low. What most good players complain about is fairways being too long and hitting fliers.

That was the one thing that I loved when I first came to Florida from the northeast. I played a lot of bluegrass fairways where you never knew what you were going to get. You could hit a pitching wedge 120 on one shot and 150 on the next. That was the main reason that Jack Nicklaus refused to play in many events in in New England.

I came to Florida and the ball was sitting like it was on a table top with not grass growing up around it.

Now that's not to say that is was sitting on dirt like so many of the lies that you get in The Villages. There was a bit of a cushion under it. But, you could catch it cleanly. And you knew how far it was going to fly every time.

Higher handicap golfers from areas where fairways are cut higher have learned to scoop the ball with their irons and have a lot of trouble learning how to hit a ball properly. I often hear them comment that they didn't get "under it". That's the problem. You are not supposed to get under the ball. You are supposed to hit it with a slight descending blow and allow the loft of the club to get the ball in the air. I've seen players hit wedges off of concrete. They were not getting the club under that ball.

I recall the correct fairway height as being 3/4" but that was for bluegrass, fescue and bent fairways. I think that Bermuda needs to be cut shorter. But it's not just the height of cut. The quality of the lie has to do with a lot of other things.

For people that are saying that they'd like to see 2", believe me, you'd never want to see your ball in 2" of Bermuda.

bilcon
05-24-2020, 07:13 AM
:ohdear:Remind me to skip your critiques.

anothersteve
05-24-2020, 08:07 AM
https://www.usga.org/course-care/2013/08/fairway-and-rough-heights-vary-by-the-season-21474858685.html

"Summer months bring warm, humid conditions that cause the turf to grow at an accelerated pace. Some golf facilities maintain slightly lower mowing heights during the summer months to improve aesthetics and playability. Fairways can be mowed from 0.38 to 0.45 inches while roughs are maintained between 1.0 to 1.25 inches in summer. Mowing heights are raised slightly in the fall, as soil temperatures decrease and the turf thins from peak season cart traffic. Mowing height can be increased to as high as 0.7 inches in fairways and up to 2.0 inches in roughs to improve conditions for the peak golfing season."

"Fairways are generally maintained at 0.5 inch throughout most of the year. Lower mowing increases shoot tillering which increases leaf density, and this provides a “tighter” playing surface as the golf ball sits higher in the turf canopy. Conversely, higher mowing provides a more cushioned ball lie where the ball nestles down further into the turf canopy."

Steve

John_W
05-24-2020, 12:23 PM
Played Bonifay (Ft. Walton > Destin) yesterday, it was the same it has been for the last few years. I like the course, not so crazy about Pensacola, but the other two are some of my favorites. Fairways were close, so don't play if you can't hit the ball first. Greens has faint images of spike marks but were healed enough that it didn't effect the putts.

We played from the whites, we moved up from the blues two years ago when my neighbor had hip replacement surgery. He did good yesterday, he normally shoots 75 and yesterday he had 35 & 35 for a 70, didn't break his age, he's 66. I had a 41 and 39 for 80 and the third guy had a 41 and a 42 for 83. It was a little windy, cost me 2 or 3 strokes and was pretty hot 12:32 teetime, but I'm use to it.

Golfgrammie02
05-25-2020, 09:46 AM
I totally agree that some golfers do not help to take care of the courses. I think because of lack of grass on fairways and poor tee boxes the price is way out of line. I have started to play outside as well. I would say this should be of concern as it shows a trend that could eventually hurt the Villages. They should pay attention. It is a shame that ambassors can no longer do their job because some baby complains. It bothers me that I am starting to see so many people moving here that think they are entitled and the rules do not apply to them. I feel we are living in a very sad time. Where is respect for the game and the course? Saddened.

jarodrig
05-25-2020, 11:25 AM
Our group payed Mallory yesterday, first time since the reopening.

You’all have heard my completely justified criticism of the pretty bad conditions on most of the courses here in The Villages.

I have to say that Mallory is in pretty good shape . Fairways had some cushion vs the usual hard pan , rough was not bad and the fringes around the greens actually had some grass so chipping from close to the greens was a pleasure. Greens a little slow but overall good .

I guess what it takes is closing a course for 6 months to give them a chance to heal ....

jenistaf
05-25-2020, 04:54 PM
I was looking forward to your weekly updates, so.... Where's the week of May 18 report?

sloanst
05-30-2020, 09:12 AM
The Villages raised the green fees of the championship courses by ~18% this year. You tell me if you think they have the $ to get the job done properly?

jarodrig
05-30-2020, 09:45 AM
The Villages raised the green fees of the championship courses by ~18% this year. You tell me if you think they have the $ to get the job done properly?

Can you please post your source where you figured an 18 % increase ?? I think that’s way off but I could be wrong .

Same as when folks were up in arms over the tax increase. Most folks saw a 4 ~ 8 % increase and not the reported 24 ~ 26 % .

John_W
05-30-2020, 10:01 AM

Can you please post your source where you figured an 18 % increase ?? I think that’s way off but I could be wrong .

You made this same mistaken complaint in April!!

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/can-we-expect-any-improvement-305195/?highlight=green+fees+increase

I just noticed the off season rates were published with an approximate increase of ~18%. Can we expect an 18% improvement in course conditions this summer? Just wondering.

Actually it's only a 5.9% difference.

It seems if a Villager wants to complain, at least come up with a new complaint that hasn't already been disproven.

jarodrig
05-30-2020, 10:05 AM

Looks like your statements are grossly inaccurate.

Looks like you have already been proven wrong.

Why do you insist on spreading false information ??

Please educate yourself AGAIN here :

Here's How Much Championship Golf is (REALLY) Going Up in 2020 (https://www.insidethebubble.net/championship-golf-rates-2019-vs-2020/)

Guitarman1951
05-31-2020, 07:09 AM
I've had putts go in and roll back out on the side of the cup because of these cvp pipe inserts. Practically none of them are cut deep enough. It is aggravating and a lack of concern on the golf administrator not to make sure these inserts are cut deep enough.
Last time we played Tierra, it was in good shape so hate to hear this.