PDA

View Full Version : When Will You Be Ready to Fly Again?

Schaumburger
06-08-2020, 01:18 PM
I would like to come back to TV for a visit late Summer/early Fall. I am a little hesitant to fly from Chicago to Orlando and back and driving is not realistic because of my vacation schedule. I also don't like long road trips driving solo.

Are you ready to board a flight yet? What about in 3 to 4 months from now?

Part of me says live your life and go to The Villages in a few months. Part of me says do a staycation this year. :undecided:

Two Bills
06-08-2020, 01:24 PM
I will be watching the health reports of flight crew over the next few months.
If plenty of them survive, we will fly Atlantic this winter.
If they start dropping like flies, we will hibernate at home!

manaboutown
06-08-2020, 01:34 PM
From what I have read getting one's hair cut and flying are the riskiest endeavors COVID-19wise. I need to make a business trip in a month or so and will drive solo for two days each way. I am not looking forward to that but really do not want to fly, wearing a mask for hours on end and all the rest of the hassle and iffiness as I will need to change planes. For my hotel night I will use FF miles as I have over 1.5 million of them that I must use or lose.

GoodLife
06-08-2020, 01:39 PM
Since my plan to go to Scotland this summer was covided, I hope to go next year.

I might just book a private cabin on a freighter if air travel looks too scary. I can hide away and read books for a week.

johnadamsUSMC
06-08-2020, 01:40 PM
I would like to come back to TV for a visit late Summer/early Fall. I am a little hesitant to fly from Chicago to Orlando and back and driving is not realistic because of my vacation schedule. I also don't like long road trips driving solo.

Part of me says live your life and go to The Villages in a few months. Part of me says do a staycation this year. :undecided:

Put me down for "live your life".........
My wife and I are VERY FREQUENT fliers due to my business which includes flights to South Korea, Japan, Guam, Taiwan, and other places. We constantly get updates from our main airline co (Delta) on what they're doing to help and we're satisfied. Eliminating the middle seats, new air cleaning systems, extensive cleaning, and very few fliers compared to 6 months ago helps. They're also limiting any distribution of food PLUS the flight attendants are wearing masks.
BTW, we're leaving next Weds for Michigan, then again to Michigan in July and Oahu in July and August and finally Germany in December.
This is just MY opinion and "opinions" can't be wrong, can they? As our attorney says "you're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts

Stu from NYC
06-08-2020, 03:12 PM
We cruise a lot and have lost several due to the virus.

Until there is a better treatment and vaccine do not see us either cruisng or flying.

Wearing a mask for a trip is not something we want to do.

Velvet
06-08-2020, 03:24 PM
When there is an effective treatment, or vaccine or as Bill says enough fliers survive .... ;) love to travel but will stick to our BMW LT with hubby and live out of saddle bags. We used to do it for months at a time. I remember pulling up to valet parking at the Ritz with an 800 lb bike (not the hotel in the photo).

npwalters
06-08-2020, 03:58 PM
I'd fly tomorrow if I needed (or wanted) to. I tend to watch the statistics and therefore realize how small the risk is.

I would not try to advise anyone else to take any action related to COVID 19.

600th Photo Sq
06-08-2020, 04:22 PM

You will be fine. In fact the airlines are going out of there way to encourage people to fly.

Another thing huge bargains. We would be in England now however what is preventing us from going is they still have restrictions.

donfey
06-08-2020, 04:26 PM

Wife and I flew from Moline, IL to Sanford, on Allegiant, last Thursday, and home on Sunday, Flights were about half full and things went smoothly on both ends. TSA, airline staff and some customers wore masks. Stewardess handed out single-use masks and gloves as we boarded, but weren't mandatory. We weren't worried.

davem4616
06-08-2020, 04:32 PM
not until there is a vaccine...

Tom359
06-08-2020, 04:53 PM
You might be surprised how many people are flying. We flew to TV to check on our house back in early May from Colorado. Our flight was half full on the way there, and completely full on the way back. We are coming back this Friday for a visit, and I anticipate the flights to be completely full since they have reduced the number of flights per day. When we flew back in May, that was prior to the mask requirement by airlines. My wife and I wore masks, but I would guess that at least a third of people on our flight did not.

rsecord
06-08-2020, 05:40 PM
Just returned for San Juan visiting grand kids for 2 weeks. Tickets were $35 each way, couldn't resist. Had great time and zero problems. Only live once

rustyp
06-08-2020, 06:51 PM

From one who has done all the world travel that I care to do the answer is never will I fly again. I will not put myself into a airborne petrie dish but again why ? I've seen the world as much as I care. I rather see our country at a snails pace off the interstate. Next bucket list - perhaps house boating on Lake Cumberland.

Sensei
06-09-2020, 04:49 AM
New York times today surveyed 511 epidemiologists regarding their plans for social engagement.

Rwirish
06-09-2020, 05:17 AM
Wait a year.

Two Bills
06-09-2020, 05:31 AM
New York times today surveyed 511 epidemiologists regarding their plans for social engagement.

OK. I'll do it!:icon_wink:

When 511 Epidemiologists Expect to Fly, Hug and Do 18 Other Everyday Activities Again - The New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/08/upshot/when-epidemiologists-will-do-everyday-things-coronavirus.html)

Ashley from UK
06-09-2020, 05:34 AM
You will be fine. In fact the airlines are going out of there way to encourage people to fly.

Another thing huge bargains. We would be in England now however what is preventing us from going is they still have restrictions.

For those who don't know as of yesterday anyone entering the UK has to complete an online form stating where they will sefl-quantine for 14 days.

This is a totally mad and ill thought out policy... because when you land at say Heathrow you get on a packed underground train, or a bus, or hire a taxi to take you to your end destination, for example the local supermarket to buy 14 days of food.... So between the airport and your quarantine destination you will have potentially infected thousands of people!!!!! The government says it will carry out spot checks (by phone) to check people are self quarantining... anyone found not to be self quarantinging will be fined.

This is one of the stupidist ill thought out policies in creation.

But at least the UK is welcoming anyone from anywhere. The US has a total lock down from Brits to go to US, so 600th Square, I'll swap places with you :a040:

nancymiller217@yahoo.com
06-09-2020, 05:49 AM
From what I have read getting one's hair cut and flying are the riskiest endeavors COVID-19wise.

Can I ask where you read that? From what I’ve read the riskiest behavior is close, prolonged contact (living or working closely) with someone who is symptomatic.

I haven’t read anything about spread on airplanes, even though I see the potential, nor about spread in hair salons. I have read an article about spread in restaurants, at family gatherings, and at a call center (work).

Two Bills
06-09-2020, 05:57 AM
For those who don't know as of yesterday anyone entering the UK has to complete an online form stating where they will sefl-quantine for 14 days.

This is a totally mad and ill thought out policy... because when you land at say Heathrow you get on a packed underground train, or a bus, or hire a taxi to take you to your end destination, for example the local supermarket to buy 14 days of food.... So between the airport and your quarantine destination you will have potentially infected thousands of people!!!!! The government says it will carry out spot checks (by phone) to check people are self quarantining... anyone found not to be self quarantinging will be fined.

But at least the UK is welcoming anyone from anywhere. The US has a total lock down from Brits to go to US, so 600th Square, I'll swap places with you :a040:

......but if you fly into Ireland first, then fly across to UK, you do not have to quarantine for 14 days!!
And we wonder why our death rate is probably going to finish higher than anywhere else in the world!

CarrieOn
06-09-2020, 06:26 AM
Last weekend..came down to the villages house hunting..delta fills the plane 1/2 way.super sanitized.n95 masks..don’t touch anything especially your face..hand sanitizer all the way ,and young living Essential oils thieves products. You can’t pick where you think you may contract it..

traveler9
06-09-2020, 06:36 AM
We are flying to Jamaica in July. No worries. Just take your hand sanitizer and wash hands for 20 sec. You will be OK

JulieER
06-09-2020, 06:58 AM
Epidemiologists and infectious disease experts said they’d wait a year for that themselves when polled. That was in the news yesterday. 3 months or so for weddings, funerals, dining out.

JulieER
06-09-2020, 07:03 AM
Saw recently they don’t feel a vaccine will “take” on us oldsters. Harvard Medicine is looking into that.

karostay
06-09-2020, 07:05 AM
We are flying to Jamaica in July. No worries. Just take your hand sanitizer and wash hands for 20 sec. You will be OK

What will the other passengers be doing
days a weeks before boarding ?

Then all in same cabin for hours breathing same cabin air

No thanks

Pommom91
06-09-2020, 07:09 AM
My daughter flew here on Sunday from Michigan. I’ll be flying to Michigan in a couple weeks.

JulieER
06-09-2020, 07:10 AM
We have had the same policy here in Delaware and other states. When coming in from another state, you self-quar for 14. And you do not go to the store for food on the way. You’re to arrange for food to be brought to you. I guess in UK with that amount of exposure to others, it’s the best they can do, but at least it limits it to that one time until the 14 days are up.

stan the man
06-09-2020, 07:25 AM
Fly now ,,,some of us will dead by the time a vaccine is available

peggyb
06-09-2020, 07:29 AM
Just flew up to NJ for work. All passengers and crew are required to wear masks throughout the flight. Most wore them in the airport as well in Orlando, and was required in PHL where we flew into. They say they sanitize everything and HEPA filters run every three minutes, but we were proactive and brought our own wipes and sanitizer on board also. Most airlines at this point are not selling the center seat, although I flew Spirit and they did so my husband sat next to a very nice lady who wasn’t too happy about it either but it was ok. Spirits deplaning guidelines were to stay seated and leave row by row waiting until the one in front gets their belongings and starts to leave.
All in all it was an easy procedure, I felt safe, and would get on a plane tomorrow if needed. The added bonus was how empty the airports were!

jamorela
06-09-2020, 07:37 AM
I flew a week and a half ago. It was fine.

theruizs
06-09-2020, 07:50 AM

If you fly, check what each airline is doing to protect you. There is no blanket set of guidelines they have to follow, so each one is doing their own thing. We will likely be flying in July to visit family and friends in Iowa, unless things take another turn for the worse. We will be going Delta, they seem to be taking good precautions, but we know there is no guarantee. Be safe!

Schaumburger
06-09-2020, 07:54 AM
If you fly, check what each airline is doing to protect you. There is no blanket set of guidelines they have to follow, so each one is doing their own thing. We will likely be flying in July to visit family and friends in Iowa, unless things take another turn for the worse. We will be going Delta, they seem to be taking good precautions, but we know there is no guarantee. Be safe!

I grew up in Dubuque, Iowa. My dad still lives there...I was there 10 days ago for his 90th birthday. No mask wearing for my 90 year old dad :( unless he is going to the doctor where it is mandatory in all dr.'s offices that he goes to.

I heard that Delta seems to be taking the most precautions as compared to the other airlines. Enjoy your trip to Iowa.

ts12755
06-09-2020, 08:12 AM
Im ready to fly and cruise now. Just waiting for everything to start up. Wear a mask on the plane wash your hands frequently and don't touch your face. Now if you're old and sick, stay home. Most Villagers are healthy no matter what age and they're living their lives having fun.

MandoMan
06-09-2020, 08:19 AM

I spent a lovely week in England last May. I think of trying to do that now. What, get a hotel room for two weeks and stay in the room, eating room service? How could I possibly afford that? And only then step outside to see the country? It’s tough. But even without that, would I do it now? It’s a bit like I would feel stepping into a wading pool filled with snakes. Just a bit squeamish.

B-flat
06-09-2020, 08:22 AM
I'm taking a flight tomorrow, it beats trying to drive close to 1300 miles and staying in a hotel. I will be wearing a mask and packing handsanitizer and wipes. My thought is if I were to contract the virus and pass away I have no regrets, I have got everything I've ever needed in life and it's been a good one, no regrets. We don't live forever and having a trust in a power greater than myself eases any fears.

4557Spahr
06-09-2020, 08:34 AM
I had to fly back to Florida from Michigan a month ago. Flew Allegiant. When I asked how they clean the plane so quickly on a quick turn around, the gate agents reply was, “We don’t!” We took our own wipes and cleaned our seat area. Wire masks, gloves and goggles. All was fine. Flew back last week. Allegiant now cleans their planes between guests. No one in my entire row or ahead of me. Airlines will have a tough go of it. Like anything else we do we need to take precautions but don’t stop living our lives.

merrymini
06-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Neighbors flew back and forth a few weeks ago with no problems.

theruizs
06-09-2020, 11:17 AM
We don't live forever ...

Actually, I believe we do! :)

Aloha1
06-09-2020, 11:18 AM
Whether you fly or not is your decision. Personally, I've been on 3 flights since this whole thing started. No problems. And we plan to cruise this December. Take proper precautions and get on with your life.

Two Bills
06-09-2020, 11:44 AM
I spent a lovely week in England last May. I think of trying to do that now. What, get a hotel room for two weeks and stay in the room, eating room service? How could I possibly afford that? And only then step outside to see the country? It’s tough. But even without that, would I do it now? It’s a bit like I would feel stepping into a wading pool filled with snakes. Just a bit squeamish.

If you fly into Dublin or Shannon in Ireland, you can get a connecting flight, and enter UK without quarantine.
Anyone arriving from Ireland can enter UK without Quarantine.

Ashley from UK
06-09-2020, 11:53 AM
If you fly into Dublin or Shannon in Ireland, you can get a connecting flight, and enter UK without quarantine.
Anyone arriving from Ireland can enter UK without Quarantine.

Which just shows how stupid and ineffective the policy is.... It's a TOTAL AND UTTER SHAMBLES!!!!

But you may like this advice from today's Daily Mail

MandoMan
06-09-2020, 01:03 PM
500 epidemiologists who answered a big survey on how far they are willing to go. From the Tuesday, 9 June 2020 New York Times.
When 511 Epidemiologists Expect to Fly, Hug and Do 18 Other Everyday Activities Again - The New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/08/upshot/when-epidemiologists-will-do-everyday-things-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_200609&instance_id=19162&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=58623110&segment_id=30409&user_id=025ec4a03ccfc15efcd68d00b480f13b)

Curtisbwp
06-09-2020, 01:14 PM

Above all DO NOT LET FEAR RULE YOUR LIFE. I SPENT A YEAR of my life in a malaria infested jungle. I followed the guidlines and took pills. Also, for a year i was dodhing bullets until a few found a home in my body. If i let fear take hold i would not be here. We have only ONE life do not live that life in fear.
Fear knows a point of diminishing returns, fear turns into ANGER, soon after anger fear turns from anger to RAGE and rage is uncontrolable.

Annie66
06-09-2020, 01:21 PM
Just returned for San Juan visiting grand kids for 2 weeks. Tickets were $35 each way, couldn't resist. Had great time and zero problems. Only live once

Of course, the corollary is, you only die once. I'd rather wait much longer for the latter.

Scorpyo
06-09-2020, 03:32 PM
covided.

Very clever. I haven't heard that one before. Going to use that myself. I was going to pull weeds or mow the grass but I got covided. I know you wanted me to go to the store. I would have but I got covided. :1rotfl:

Chi-Town
06-09-2020, 04:12 PM
Have taken two Florida vacations recently and enjoyed them. It's nice to live in a state that has so many destinations you can get to driving a few hours. But the only way to travel distances quickly is by flying which is now on the agenda. Can't wait.

Stu from NYC
06-09-2020, 06:08 PM
Would like to fly out west and rent a car and drive back seeing a bunh of national parks/

Problem is we are concerned about flying, safely staying in hotels and venturing into restaurants we do not know.

As a result looks like we are staying put for next few months.

BS Beef
06-09-2020, 06:44 PM
I have flown several times since this mess. No issues and not the least bit of worry or concern. Side note: I’d gladly pay more to always have the center seat open. I’m aware it’s a losing business model, but I can dream.

Villagerjjm
06-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Put me down for "live your life".........
My wife and I are VERY FREQUENT fliers due to my business which includes flights to South Korea, Japan, Guam, Taiwan, and other places. We constantly get updates from our main airline co (Delta) on what they're doing to help and we're satisfied. Eliminating the middle seats, new air cleaning systems, extensive cleaning, and very few fliers compared to 6 months ago helps. They're also limiting any distribution of food PLUS the flight attendants are wearing masks.
BTW, we're leaving next Weds for Michigan, then again to Michigan in July and Oahu in July and August and finally Germany in December.
This is just MY opinion and "opinions" can't be wrong, can they? As our attorney says "you're entitled to your own opinion but you're not entitled to your own facts

I think that is is great that you are willing and ready to travel in the manner you describe!! Go for it!
….just two questions:
If any of your destinations require that you self quarantine for 14 days before venturing out into the general population, are you going to comply with that directive?
If you are requested to wear a mask while travelling onboard a public vehicle, are you going to comply with that directive?

Velvet
06-10-2020, 10:13 AM
Good questions, I believe in Hawaii they have arrested tourists who did not quarantine.