PDA

View Full Version : Line Dance Question

Davonu
06-10-2020, 09:41 AM
Let's say you want to learn 10 or so of the most frequently used line dances in The Villages, but you'd rather not go to classes. Two questions:

1) What are those line dances? Could somebody list some that are the most popular and frequently used?

2) Are there other ways to learn those dances rather than classes. I'd like to just watch videos or something like that at home.

Thanks for your help.

retiredguy123
06-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Go to YouTube and search "line dance lessons". Lots of videos and lessons.

crash
06-10-2020, 11:30 AM
YouTube is the way to go for videos. I did the Gentlemens R&D Steppers lining dancing for men with 2 left feet here is a list from that.

Dance Music
Cupid Shuffle Cupid Shuffle
Electric Slide Electric Slide or Mustang Sally
Blurred Lines Blurred Lines
Pimp Walk (Waterfall) Yeah (Usher)
Wobbel
Up Town Funk
Ms Jodies Thing
Booty Call
Know Trouble. Know Trouble (Jennifer Hudson)
Wifey
Easy Dance The Way You Make Me Feel (Michael Jackson)
Colorado Cha Cha
Stomp New Stomp
Hip Swinging Blues. Throw that Thang (Steve Perry)
Cha Cha Slide Cha Cha Slide (Mr C The Slide Man)

Velvet
06-10-2020, 11:53 AM
I used YouTube on the iPad to learn the line dances before coming to TV. Then joined the people at the square line dancing and hubby videoed us. I was not too bad but could not get him to dance with us. He said he needed a few more drinks first.

karostay
06-10-2020, 12:14 PM
What breath of Fresh Air a post about life and enjoyment..No ,who Killed who ,,no protest no virus ...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh feels good

CFrance
06-10-2020, 08:20 PM
What breath of Fresh Air a post about life and enjoyment..No ,who Killed who ,,no protest no virus ...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh feels good
It's the way this forum used to be.

Two Bills
06-11-2020, 04:56 AM
Go to YouTube and search "line dance lessons". Lots of videos and lessons.

My wife has done 1 hour of line dancing with Youtube every day during lockdown.
I would have loved to join her, but I have to stand guard over our TR supply! :rolleyes:

dewilson58
06-11-2020, 06:07 AM
Line Dancer Lives Matter.

Nell57
06-11-2020, 06:44 AM
I also go to YouTube and seach Scooter the DJ in The Villages. Nothing like dancing with Scooter to lift your spirits. Even if you are in your family room in Ohio.

am.zinger@aol.com
06-11-2020, 06:51 AM
Lots of videos on youtube. Some sites show many, many different dances by the same instructor.

Rich42
06-11-2020, 06:57 AM
There is no such thing as "most popular". Like women's clothing styles, they change monthly.

MandoMan
06-11-2020, 07:16 AM
#YouTube is the way to go for videos. I did the Gentlemens R&D Steppers lining dancing for men with 2 left feet here is a list from that.

Dance Music
Wobbel
Up Town Funk
Ms Jodies Thing
Booty Call
Wifey
Colorado Cha Cha
Stomp New Stomp

I’m so out of touch with reality. I thought line dancing was about country music and Western swing. I guess I’d better cross it off my list of things to try.

La lamy
06-11-2020, 08:19 AM
Line dancing is such a great activity to get into! Works your brain, body, emotions. And once the squares are open again, you get to join other social circles. Good for you! It can get tricky, but I wish you well with Youtube lessons.

Curtisbwp
06-11-2020, 09:11 AM
[QUOE=Davonu;1781306]Let's say you want to learn 10 or so of the most frequently used line dances in The Villages, but you'd rather not go to classes. Two questions:

1) What are those line dances? Could somebody list some that are the most popular and fre"quently used?

2) Are there other ways to learn those dances rather than classes. I'd like to just watch videos or something like that at home.
Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]

No pain no gain. Where i come from, Boston, we had a thing called "youtube"

Scorpyo
06-11-2020, 09:26 AM
YouTube is the way to go for videos. I did the Gentlemens R&D Steppers lining dancing for men with 2 left feet here is a list from that.

Dance Music
Wobbel
Up Town Funk
Ms Jodies Thing
Booty Call
Wifey
Colorado Cha Cha
Stomp New Stomp

I looked it up in the dictionary, Booty Call is something other than a line dance. You go stud.:1rotfl:

Shamp
06-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Great question and thanks for the list of dances. We can certainly learn them at home with youtube and be ready to dance whenever the virus is gone!

Keysers
06-11-2020, 09:43 AM
I have been line dancing regularly since moving to The Villages. This is the site recommend by the line dance teachers rather than YouTube.

CopperKnob - Linedance Stepsheets (https://www.copperknob.co.uk/)

Polar Bear
06-11-2020, 09:55 AM
I have been line dancing regularly since moving to The Villages. This is the site recommend by the line dance teachers rather than YouTube.

CopperKnob - Linedance Stepsheets (https://www.copperknob.co.uk/)
This looks really good. (See, Curtisbwp, there are sites other than youtube. Well, maybe not in Boston. :D)

And thanks everybody else for the help...including the youtube directions. I'll be going there too. :) And keep the songs and thoughts coming!! :)

tenorgirl
06-11-2020, 11:32 AM
Agree

Barborv
06-11-2020, 02:39 PM
My husband and I tried following a few videos for east coast swing. It was helpful, but my husband has no rhythm and we argued each time because I WOUND UP LEADING! LOL When I make my permanent move to TV I gotta find me a fella to dance with!! HAHA

Scorpyo
06-11-2020, 05:36 PM
My husband and I tried following a few videos for east coast swing. It was helpful, but my husband has no rhythm and we argued each time because I WOUND UP LEADING! LOL When I make my permanent move to TV I gotta find me a fella to dance with!! HAHA
When they get back to normal go to Bradenton on Thursday evenings. The Shag club meets there. Shag, east coast, west coast and other. You’ll find lots of people to dance with.

Davonu
07-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Update to my question...

There appears to be line dancing going on every night at LSL and it appears to be sort of like a class. Can anybody tell me if there are days/times that are better for somebody at about an beginner plus (if that's such a level...heheh). I'm not a total beginner, but I'm probably not quite intermediate either. I'm thinking of going some time and just trying blend in the best I can, but if there are specific days/times that are best for my level, of course that would be good to know.

Thanks for your help.

Davonu
07-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Not trying to be a nag, but I may go to LSL landing tonight and try to join in with the line dancers. Nobody knows if there is a "good" time to go for maybe advanced beginners or so? Or are people are even allowed to just walk up and join in? Could it be a club that requires membership or something like that?

queasy27
07-21-2020, 01:44 PM
Line dancing on the squares is open to anyone. People often do different steps to the same song or a group who goes to classes together may do something else. There are no rules and no experience levels. You can do specific choreography with others, try to pick up the steps and follow along, or do your own thing!

crash
07-29-2020, 05:09 PM
#

I’m so out of touch with reality. I thought line dancing was about country music and Western swing. I guess I’d better cross it off my list of things to try.

This is R&B line dancing they also have country western line dancing if you prefer things like boot slapping boggie.

C. C. Rider
08-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Here are some popular COUNTRY line dances.

Electric Slide

Boot Scootin' Boogie

Good Time

Watermelon Crawl

Wagon Wheel

There are many more. I'll add them as I think of them.

There are also many Country Couples dances. As the name implies, this is where you dance with a partner (spouse, friend, whatever). I like the couples dances better because they tend to offer more variety and style. The drawback is that you need a willing partner and not everyone has one.

There are many easy-to-learn Country Couples dances so no one should feel that they can't learn them if they're willing to put forth just a little effort. Country songs tend to offer a better beat to dance to, IMO, plus it gives you a chance to put on your boots and jeans and scoot, kick, slide, and all kinds of steps from fast to slow to in between. LOTS of variety for every taste and energy level.

crash
08-02-2020, 11:49 AM

There is a gentlemen's R&B line dance class for men with 2 left feet. It is the only mens only class and is great to get guys dancing who don't normally dance.

OrangeBlossomBaby
08-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Just a minor correction: The Electric Slide is NOT a country line dance. It's a reggae line dance, that corresponds with the song that birthed the dance, called the Electric Boogie by Bunny Wailer. Wailer was the "...and the Wailers" part of the Bob Marley band.