PDA

View Full Version : What "Lively" Beach Would You Go To For a Day Trip?

Troopie
06-26-2020, 06:34 PM
If you could go to a "fun" beach that is within a two-hour drive of The Villages, where would you go?
My cousin will be visiting in a few weeks and I'd like to take her to a beach for the day. I'm not familiar with any of the beaches in Florida -- I don't want a rural/quiet beach -- am looking for a beach that has a lot of fun options such as tourist shopping, music and restaurants. I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Gulfcoast
06-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Maybe check out Daytona Beach?

Medtrans
06-26-2020, 06:50 PM
If you could go to a "fun" beach that is within a two-hour drive of The Villages, where would you go?
My cousin will be visiting in a few weeks and I'd like to take her to a beach for the day. I'm not familiar with any of the beaches in Florida -- I don't want a rural/quiet beach -- am looking for a beach that has a lot of fun options such as tourist shopping, music and restaurants. I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Clearwater!

VApeople
06-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Clearwater!

Yeah, we went there once and it was very nice. If you look on Google maps, you will see a lot of places to eat.

Medtrans
06-26-2020, 07:04 PM
Yeah, we went there once and it was very nice. If you look on Google maps, you will see a lot of places to eat.

Frenchy’s right in the beach. Grouper sandwich.

JGVillages
06-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Siesta Key Sarasota.

tophcfa
06-26-2020, 08:03 PM
In these trying times, the more "lively" a beach is, the more "deadly" it is also. I would try to find an isolated beach, or non at all. But maybe that's just me?

Polar Bear
06-26-2020, 08:15 PM
Recently spent two days at Clearwater Beach...before the recent virus upsurge...after working across the bridge from Clearwater Beach for most of my career. :) Can’t beat it imo for a “fun” beach.

But as others have said...enjoy with caution.

John41
06-26-2020, 08:43 PM
New Smyrna Beach.

John_W
06-26-2020, 09:11 PM
Clearwater or anywhere on the Gulf. The ocean is aqua blue, you see through it as you drive your car up from the road. The sand is like sugar. The Atlantic is a poor imitation of a beach. Dark water, colder, and the sand is mostly broken shells crushed together, that's why you can drive your car on it. Anyone that has been to both coasts will say the Gulf Coast. Clearwater, Siesta Keys, Destin, these places have all been picked as the best in the USA.

Chi-Town
06-26-2020, 10:37 PM
Treasure Island is fun and funky.

Robyn1963
06-27-2020, 06:00 AM
Venice

Kahiland
06-27-2020, 06:07 AM
No judgment, but do you really want to the beach right now?

Eg_cruz
06-27-2020, 06:07 AM
Clearwater

La lamy
06-27-2020, 06:09 AM
Clearwater would be my suggestion. If you go, I also recommend you eat at Frenchy's Rockaway Grill Seafood restaurant at 7 Rockaway St. It's right on the beach. Get a patio/lanai table and you get a great view of the Gulf and people playing beach volleyball.

jonathanb
06-27-2020, 06:15 AM
Johns pass

davem4616
06-27-2020, 06:19 AM
We've been to both New Smyrna Beach on the east coast and Clearwater on the west coast
New Smyrna Beach historically has a very high number of shark attacks...so if you go there be careful in the water
Clearwater was nice and seemed to have far more restaurants and shopping options...there is a boat cruise in Clearwater where they serve drinks and lunch that you might be interested in (you should be able to google that) we've been on it

Someone else mentioned Treasure Island....my aunt and uncle wintered there for years....nice beach, nice walkway along the beach too

Barbscats
06-27-2020, 06:19 AM
Definitely Clearwater and lunch at Frenchys. If you have time, drive a little further south and stop at St. John’s Pass
for shopping...lots of funky shops along with some nicer shops for beachwear and clothing.

J1ceasar
06-27-2020, 06:28 AM
Clearwater for the beach and a short drive to Destin for shopping and restaurants

Rwirish
06-27-2020, 06:35 AM
Fenney pool.

Dlbonivich
06-27-2020, 06:39 AM
Go to Clearwater beach. Very fun lots to do. St Pete beach has a lot going on too. These are West Coast beaches. Lived in Florida for 20 years

Lisa64
06-27-2020, 06:44 AM
Anna Maria Island is also nice. It is on the Gulf and has little shops and restaurants.

claylayer
06-27-2020, 06:45 AM
New Smryna, Daytona, Clearwater are all fun. But, please be careful.

sukay612
06-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Flagler beach is not huge but has easy access from road. Great waves and there’s still some shopping.

mjkspear
06-27-2020, 07:03 AM
North Clearwater Beach just a couple blocks north of the pier at 60, but not usually as crowded. Two good restaurants right there, Frnnchy's and Palm Pavilion. Shopping down by 60. It’s a deep beach, and the water of the gulf is warmer than the ocean. John's Pass, further south in St Petersburg also has a lot of shopping and restaurants. Lot of touristy shops.

Sailohio
06-27-2020, 07:06 AM
I would go to Clearwater too. Soft, fine sand. Lots of bars/restaurants. Ample parking. And beautiful water. Can’t beat it.

Rosebud1949
06-27-2020, 07:16 AM
the beach and visitors.. NO WAY !!! Florida positives for Covid now are 5000+ a day..thanks to beach visitors. Please DO NOT bring it back to the Villages. We have the LOWEST POSITIVES on record.

CarrieOn
06-27-2020, 07:17 AM
Clearwater beach Tampa is 2 hours away ..go early because of traffic & parking..voted # 1 beach in the US..

bhferri85
06-27-2020, 07:17 AM
Clearwater.

Saluce
06-27-2020, 07:24 AM

Clearwater and you can eat at Frenchy’s on the beach. The beach is beautiful and there are a lot of shopping in the area. Google Clearwater beach for more info.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
06-27-2020, 07:26 AM
Clearwater Beach was named the number one beach in Florida for several consecutive years. Then a few years ago it was named the #1 beach in the United States.
Park in the big hotel and take the elevator down and walk across the street.

Great sand, and water. Easy access to facilities while on the beach. Outdoor showers when leaving the beach Plenty to do and great food everywhere.

doodles
06-27-2020, 07:29 AM
Cocoa Beach, just 2 hrs and has Shops and restaurants. Easy parking at Shepard Park $2.50 an hr or $15 a day.

Saluce
06-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Clearwater for the beach and a short drive to Destin for shopping and restaurants

Destin is in the panhandle on the Far west side Of Florida & about a 5-1/2hr Drive.

LarsB
06-27-2020, 07:35 AM
Johns pass

DecaturFargo
06-27-2020, 07:41 AM
A lot of beaches have now been closed. Unless your cousin has been tested please tell her to stay home. We are spiking and I don't want to get COVID because outsiders have decided to visit. This is how it will spread quickly throughout The Villages.

allsport
06-27-2020, 07:50 AM
Having spent years on a boat on both sides, it depends what you are looking for. The ocean is cooler than the gulf and the waves are bigger. Daytona is a great beach with lots to do but is also an epicenter. If you want sand beaches and baby waves go west to Clearwater or St. Pete, that whole peninsula has beaches and restaurants and shops but also has Covid.

kiernan
06-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Clearwater or St. Pete beach. Both have lots of shops and things to do.

asiebel
06-27-2020, 08:15 AM
Maderia Beach is close to St Johns Pass for shopping and esting. Lots of restaurants. You should spend the night! Just google all the different places!

GoodLife
06-27-2020, 08:24 AM
the beach and visitors.. NO WAY !!! Florida positives for Covid now are 5000+ a day..thanks to beach visitors. Please DO NOT bring it back to the Villages. We have the LOWEST POSITIVES on record.

Please. Going to the beach is much less dangerous than going to the supermarket or a crowded bar. As long as you social distance it's not a problem.

big guy
06-27-2020, 08:27 AM
New Smyrna Beach.

Join the sharks!

big guy
06-27-2020, 08:37 AM

Wednesday or Thursday the new cases in Florida for the day was 9000[B]!

NJblue
06-27-2020, 08:40 AM
Please. Going to the beach is much less dangerous than going to the supermarket or a crowded bar. As long as you social distance it's not a problem.

Agree! Being on a beach is probably one of the safest places to be - plenty of fresh air and typically a nice breeze. The media has used scenes of crowded beaches as a metaphor for a hazardous Covid lifestyle. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It is just lazy, unscientific journalism. The hazard comes into play when you go off the beach and into an indoor crowded bar.

Earlride
06-27-2020, 08:45 AM
New Smyrna Beach.

Lively and you get to pet the sharks swimming with you.

John_W
06-27-2020, 08:54 AM
My neighbor has taken up fishing in a big way the past year. Every week he tells me of where he fished that week, it's usually Venice, St. Pete Beach or Pine Island off Spring Hill (that's a county park). For Pine Island just take Hwy 50 all the way to the end. You'll pass Weeki Wachie Springs at Hwy 19 intersection. He either surf fishes or off a pier. He's leaving tomorrow for Destin and coming back Thursday night. He's very cautious, he even wears a mask when at the golf course around the club house and putting greens. He just got back last weekend from a week at Marathon, it's an island in the keys about 50 miles before Key West. They rented a condo and he said it was great.

I grew up in St. Petersburg, my parents moved there in '59 and I graduated St. Pete High in '68. I can remember when Treasure Island and St. Pete Beach were nothing a but a couple of motels. You could drive from St. Pete to Clearwater north on Hwy 19 and not see a building in the early 60's. There was a sign pointing west on Hwy 60 that said, "Clearwater Beach" and a gas station on the corner.

Something I found amazing was the Kapok Tree Restaurant in Safety Harbor went out of business. It was a huge restaurant that served 4,000 people a day at it's peak in the 70's during high season. I guess owners died, poor management, whatever. It's still there, but it's a Sam Ash Music Store and a hall that can rented for banquets and weddings, etc. It had beautiful gardens and was a sight to see. I only made it once in 1975.

To get there, instead of taking I-275 (Howard Franklin Bridge), take Hwy 60 Courtney Campbell Causey across Tampa Bay, you get on at the west side of Tampa Airport. After the causeway ends, look for the first overpass (McMullen Booth Rd) take that to the right (north) and it will be a 1/2 mile on the right.

https://static.flickr.com/58/198535066_3219152a92_o.jpg

Back in the restaurant days

https://www.floridamemory.com/fpc/commerce/c684928.jpg

Now if you want to buy a guitar, go to the Kapok Tree, it's Sam Ash.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/1a/26/ec/ed/sam-ash-music-store.jpg

If you want to see if Clearwater Beach is busy, here's a webcam. Turn off your ad-blocker after you get on the site, and click in the lower right and make it full screen. You might have to click on the image to get it go live. I can remember going there in the 70's and seeing buoys out by the end of the pier, and it was a shark net. I don't know why they removed it, maybe too much trouble.

Clearwater Beach Live Webcam (https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-states/florida/clearwater/clearwater-beach.html)

newgirl
06-27-2020, 08:57 AM
Haha as long as you don’t mind swimming with sharks !

HappyRetired
06-27-2020, 09:03 AM
I visited Kapok Tree on my first visit to Florida right after college. It was a really nice place. Couldn't locate it 15 years later on my second visit. Sorry to learn of it's demise. It was a place I thought I'd like to revisit.

Villagerjjm
06-27-2020, 09:10 AM

Look at Lido beach on Lido Key. St. Armand's Circle is within walking distance.
A bit longer ride than what you planned on?? Try Coquina beach....
Honeymoon Island is close to Dunedin and shopping.

donassaid
06-27-2020, 09:17 AM
Siesta Key Beach, voted best beach in America (Sarasota)

Troopie
06-27-2020, 09:33 AM
In light of the COVID uptick, I doubt we'll end up doing this, after all. But, I really appreciate all of these replies. It gives me something to go on for the future. My cousin comes from a very small, rural town in Nebraska. Going to the beach would be a real treat for her. Thank you!!!

Troopie
06-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Thank you! This is particularly helpful.

Guitarman1951
06-27-2020, 09:51 AM
With the virus running rampant, you'd be better off at a quiet beach with less people.

vitacr
06-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Definitely agree, hard to beat, & easy to get to 441 - 42 - 44.

Baywayric
06-27-2020, 10:24 AM
Four winners, by distance:
1. Clearwater Beach Pier 60
2. Sunset Beach @ Treasure Island
3. Pass-A-Grille @ St. Pete Beach
4. Bradenton Beach

IllinoisX1
06-27-2020, 10:32 AM
was there a few weeks ago people were distancing free parking great place

Shamp
06-27-2020, 10:43 AM
IN THESE TIMES I WOULDN'T BE LOOKING FOR 'LIVELY.' Daytona effective sunday requires a mask in public if you aren't 6 feet apart if that offers you comfort. When I'm not in TVS I'm in New Smyrna Beach. Much more upscale than Daytona, which in my opinion is sleazy. NSB is clean, upscale and has great restaurants and eclectic shops and isn exactly 2 hrs away.

kwachowski
06-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Daytona or New Symrna

allenbccs
06-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Honeymoon Beach on golf side

sloanst
06-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Not worth the risk.

PompeyKing
06-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Maderia Beach is close to St Johns Pass for shopping and esting. Lots of restaurants. You should spend the night! Just google all the different places!

I agree. Maderia Beach between Clearwater and John’s Pass. And look for 18 On The Rocks! Best peal and eat shrimp I’ve ever had.

mollyb
06-27-2020, 05:34 PM
St Augustine!!

Indiana Randy
06-27-2020, 06:05 PM
I vote for Tarpon Springs and Sunset Beach. You can browse the shops in Tarpon Springs, enjoy fabulous Greek restaurants and bakeries, then swim and by all means, watch the sun set from Sunset Beach.

Buzman
06-27-2020, 06:59 PM
St. Armands Circle and Lido Key.
The circle is similar to a town square in The Villages, but with the Columbia restaurant for Cuban cuisine and several other really good places. It’s a little more family oriented than the spring break hot spots like Daytona or Clearwater, but those can be really fun!

gpk111
06-27-2020, 07:26 PM
St Augustine!!

St Augustine if you have a 4 wheel drive. Drive on to the beach and just stay in the car if you're concerned.

ANY beach is a must for someone from Nebraska.

greenflash245
06-28-2020, 06:13 AM
go to a nude beach. should be lively

Juniper
06-28-2020, 07:22 AM
Lido beach / St. Armand’s Circle

dlwretired
06-28-2020, 07:24 AM
St. Armands Circle and Lido Beach in Sarasota. A little over 2 hours away. You can enjoy long beaches, fun shopping on the Circle (the only time a mask is advised) and lots of choices for great places to dine outside.

LarsB
06-28-2020, 07:35 AM
How about Madeira Beach. Beautiful beach close to John's pass which is a great shopping area and restaurants.

msilagy
06-28-2020, 08:23 AM
Madiera Beach with St John's Pass for restaurants and shops and a fun atmosphere. At least more so that other beaches I think. You can walk right over to St John's Pass from the beach. As far as music I'm not sure - maybe in the evenings.

life is fun
06-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Honey moon island state park. Go during the week not as crowded! Our favorite is Venice beach and look for sharks teeth

John_W
06-28-2020, 09:02 AM
How about Madeira Beach. Beautiful beach close to John's pass which is a great shopping area and restaurants.

You're right, that's a great little place to eat and shop. Between Madeira Beach and Treasure Island, off St. Petersburg.

Google Maps (https://www.google.com/maps/search/st.+john's+pass/@27.7898357,-82.7658382,7191m/data=!3m1!1e3)

https://www.visitflorida.com/bin/vf/static/a0t4/a0t40000007qtHjAAI/rendition.0014000000lHVDYAA407102018124517776.1280 .500.imagecache

https://4feo872yrq891mrmgs21v589-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/MARINA-768x576.jpg

Kids would love a ride on the pirate ship. This time of year, motels are cheap along that area, especially since most are older and have to compete with the newer highrises.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Dqg-m4M1oEE/TBDGWsq6iNI/AAAAAAAAAX4/n-Zioxrfth0/s1600/pirateShip.jpg

rugbyjohn
06-28-2020, 09:18 AM
St. Pete beach or Clearwater beach. St Pete has music on the beach in various hotel bars.

Stu from NYC
06-28-2020, 09:39 AM
go to a nude beach. should be lively

Only if they only allow people under 30. Who wants to looks at us old fogies.

MandoMan
06-28-2020, 09:56 AM
Caliente Resort is “lively” around the pools.

Stu from NYC
06-28-2020, 10:41 AM
Caliente Resort is “lively” around the pools.

Hmm how lively is lively?

Nick B
06-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Clearwater or Anna Maria or St Pete. West Cost is best

Nick B
06-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Dunedin. Destin is in the panhandle.

Cindy619
06-28-2020, 12:20 PM

I suggest Daytona Beach. It's beautiful with plenty of shops & restaurants around.

philoret
06-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Daytona pier and boardwalk has a ferris wheel and small roller coaster, arcade and shops, though how operating in Covid closures needs checking.

Rosebud1949
06-28-2020, 12:39 PM
Beach and visitors now ... HELLO PANDEMIC in full swing getting worse.. and you want to bring it to the Villages where our positives are low.... PLEASE..................

Schaumburger
06-28-2020, 02:29 PM
Recently spent two days at Clearwater Beach...before the recent virus upsurge...after working across the bridge from Clearwater Beach for most of my career. :) Can’t beat it imo for a “fun” beach.

But as others have said...enjoy with caution.

I visited Clearwater Beach this past February before the pandemic - lots of nice restaurants, very walkable, great beach. Would I go there now...probably not as this area can be very crowded, but that's me.

A plug for Clearwater Marine Aquarium...which rescues, rehabilitates and aims to return injured marine life back to the ocean. Well worth a visit if you are going to Clearwater or Clearwater Beach.

Dgodin
06-28-2020, 04:33 PM
Cocoa Beach. Also close to the Kennedy space center.

Bay Kid
06-29-2020, 07:11 AM
My 300' of beach on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay.