PDA

View Full Version : OK...Ryder Cup in Right Forum

grayesun
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
And it's way too early to talk about it...I know.

Ryder Cup...56 days away!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody had to bring it up...so here we go:

Enjoyed the last Ryder Cup so much...looking forward with great anticipation to this years competition.

Does the US team have the firepower to win in Wales...will Tiger play for the team (does anybody care?)...will Phil play...who will be the best player on the US team...on Team Europe...will there be a Boo Weekly type moment...is there a dark horse for the US team that will play out of his mind for a few days (like Nick Watney maybe?)...will Furyk play and extend the tournament for 2 additional days (i hope)?
So many questions for the upcoming premier (imnsho) golf event and only 57 days to get it sorted out.

Now the rub, my maddening personal dilemma - we'll be cruising the Caribbean for Ryder Cup week and can't get any info from cruise lines if event will be shown onboard.

No response necessary until interest perks up after PGA...just wanted to whine a little.

Johnshirts
08-07-2010, 05:49 AM
I live 60 miles from the Celtic Manor Golf Course. They will be only letting in approx 50,000 people for the three days of the competition and about the same for the three practise days. Ordinary golfers (ie not Corporate Fat Cats) had to apply online by June 2009 and they held an initial ballot in the August, and a second ballot in May. My wife and I have tickets for the Wednesday practise day, which will allow us to see all the players in a relaxed way, and enjoy the atmosphere, but then watch every ball being hit in front of our television. One of our favourite traditional songs is 'We'll keep a Welcome in the Hillsides, We'll keep a welcome in the Vales, This land of Love will still be singing, When you come home again to Wales'. Croeso! Welcome!

grayesun
08-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I live 60 miles from the Celtic Manor Golf Course. They will be only letting in approx 50,000 people for the three days of the competition and about the same for the three practise days. Ordinary golfers (ie not Corporate Fat Cats) had to apply online by June 2009 and they held an initial ballot in the August, and a second ballot in May. My wife and I have tickets for the Wednesday practise day, which will allow us to see all the players in a relaxed way, and enjoy the atmosphere, but then watch every ball being hit in front of our television. One of our favourite traditional songs is 'We'll keep a Welcome in the Hillsides, We'll keep a welcome in the Vales, This land of Love will still be singing, When you come home again to Wales'. Croeso! Welcome!

And welcome the TOTV board to you...johnshirts...glad you found your way here and popped in. Would like to hear the tune that accompanies those lyrics...pretty sweet I'll bet.
Anyway, good luck to you in managing to even score practice round tickets...it may be more fun to see the players more realaxed and interactive with the folks during practice. We've gone to a few PGA and Seniors events over the years and what always stood out for us was how intense the new PGA players were compared to years past where some would stay loose and talk & joke with with the fans between holes. When we went to TPC Boston last year, there was none of this...very intense; no interaction with fans. Many of the Seniors on the other hand still play with the same relaxed casual style we grew up watching and enjoying on the "teli"...making it a much more enjoyable fan experience. Hope you get to see the new "young" PGA guys having some fun during practice round and letting their hair down a bit. I think the USA team really has their hands full this year...promises to be some truly outstanding golf.

Taltarzac
08-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Shirley Bassey has some videos on the web with her singing this song. I am having trouble getting to them on my rather troublesome computer. Some of these renditions have her accompanied by Tom Jones.

This one seems to work. She will start singing after about 130 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdeQjqBymNg

grayesun
08-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for digging it up Taltarzac...yep, I remember it now.

grayesun
08-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Scratch 1 Tiger Woods from Ryder Cup Team...and Phil just doesn't want that :eclipsee_gold_cup: position or Ryder Cup spot either?

Time for :beer3:, Red Sox & Football :pepper2:

grayesun
08-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Phil Mickelson, Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Steve Stricker, Dustin Johnson, Jeff Overton and Matt Kuchar qualify U.S. team based on points accumulated over a two-year period.
Good mix of veterans and rookies and few guys hungry for a win...you think DJ might be fired up and Bubba, Overton and Kuchar hungry for a big win?

Pavin's Captain's picks due 9/7 should be interesting - personally don't see how Tiger makes the team, no Anthony Kim, Lucas Glover and Zach Johnson should be in...promises to be one fine tournament.

Bring on Pinky Poulter :boxing2:

grayesun
08-27-2010, 10:56 AM
and puts his FedEx run & Ryder Cup spot in jeopardy...

ajbrown
08-27-2010, 12:09 PM
I never knew a player could be DQ'd for missing the pro am. Nothing like the panic of waking up, blurry eyed, looking at the clock and realizing you are late :22yikes:

Unless I am mistaken, I do not think this has any affect on his Ryder Cup status. That closed after the PGA.

Mickelson has some interesting comments about the ruling.

Furyk didn't blast the rule but he had a supporter in Phil Mickelson, who roundly criticized commissioner Tim Finchem for it. The rule was put in so the selected pros would not skip such events.

"I cannot disagree with it more," said Mickelson, who played with Mayor Bloomberg in the Pro-Am. "I have no idea how the commissioner let this rule go through. It's ridiculous."

Mickelson had lunch with Finchem and let him have it.

"The rule itself applies to only half the field," he noted.

"...Not everybody played the Pro-Am. It can't be disqualification if it only applies to half the field.

"This rule - it's not protecting the players, it's not protecting the sponsors. I made my viewpoint very clear to him, yes."

Mickelson's comments taken from the article: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/08/26/2010-08-26_late_furyk_gets_dqd.html

grayesun
08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
I never knew a player could be DQ'd for missing the pro am. Nothing like the panic of waking up, blurry eyed, looking at the clock and realizing you are late :22yikes:

Unless I am mistaken, I do not think this has any affect on his Ryder Cup status. That closed after the PGA.

Mickelson has some interesting comments about the ruling.

Mickelson's comments taken from the article: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2010/08/26/2010-08-26_late_furyk_gets_dqd.html

Kudo's to Phil

Furyk's steady consistent performance this season...and usually long & dull play should earn him a spot on the Ryder Cup team; he's a solid veteran to mix in with the flashy rookies in forming a powerful US team. :eclipsee_gold_cup:

BritParrothead
10-04-2010, 09:47 AM
It's over! After all the bad weather, it finished on a bright sunny note :)