PDA

View Full Version : Pickleball Paddles- How to select and where to buy!

cmfjr
08-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I will be new to TV's early next year but I really enjoyed playing when we were down to visit. Will be down for the Labor Day Holiday and would like to have my own paddle. Now, I need to purchase my own paddle and have no idea what to look for in a good paddle or better yet, where to buy one. Apologize up front if there is a thread on this but I couldn’t find one if one exists. Thank you.

SALYBOW
08-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I know they can be purchased at the Market Square but do not know what to look for. Also, is it true that there are more pickleball injuries than any other sport:22yikes:? Should a newbie take up the sport at this age?

Hawkwind
08-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Try Barb Crouch. She sells at LSL on market nights or you can give her a call at home 352-751-2462 or cell 352-205-2934.

chuckinca
08-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Make sure you wear tennis court shoes when playing pickleball.

Pturner
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Pick a paddle or pick a peck of pickle paddles?

Villager Since April 2009
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Deb Harris sells paddles at Mulberry Jewelry Store in the Mulberry Grove Plaza shopping center (in the northern part of the Villages near Rt. 42). She is an expert and will tell you what you need.

Thnonne
08-10-2010, 08:38 AM
To avoid injury take the pickleball lessons provided by the rec dept. PB 101, PB 102, or PB 103. They go over safety rules for playing pickleball and how to move properly on a pickleball court. Also, Deb Harrison gives private lessons thru the Lifelong Learning College, this is also an excellent way to get individual attention and learn the proper way to move and play the game which will help in avoiding injuries.

cmfjr
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Thank you to all for the advice, suggestions and I will plan on taking the PB courses. I agree there is a right way to do anything and it is better to learn it right away vs. trying to correct bad habits!

jeffy
08-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I know they can be purchased at the Market Square but do not know what to look for. Also, is it true that there are more pickleball injuries than any other sport:22yikes:? Should a newbie take up the sport at this age?

I would say that softball has the most injuries. There are many 70-80 excellent players here. I know that Barb at the Tues/Thurs market square nights has demos for you to try out. Not sure if Deb Harrison does. I would stay away from the graphite paddles. The are light but do not hit the ball hard enough in the hot sun of summer (the ball gets soft in the heat). I personally like the S type "storm" composite paddle. It is very light weight but hits fairly hard.

jeff

gongoozler
11-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Most newbies buy paddles that are too light . . . remember that force equals mass times acceleration (F=MA) so select a paddle as heavy as you can that will not slow down your swing. If you have a paddle that is too light then you can add lead tape (purchase a Sports Authority - one will be opening next year near Best Buy) on the outside edges . . . you can not add anything to the surface that changes the speed or spin on the ball!:welcome:

Crystalmar
02-13-2014, 12:06 PM
You can buy paddles at Softball's R Game in the Southern Trace Shopping Center on hwy 466.