PDA

View Full Version : yardages

Atamasco
08-03-2020, 05:47 PM
Are the posted yardages to the front of the green or the center of the green?

JoMar
08-03-2020, 06:05 PM
I suspect middle of the green. At least that's the way it's usually done.

tophcfa
08-03-2020, 06:12 PM
Center of green. I like to use my laser rangefinder to get an exact reading. The reflective prisms on the flag sticks at the Championship courses make it very easy and quick to get an exact reading. Now, if I could only consistently hit the ball close to the exact yardage?

kcrazorbackfan
08-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Same as what was said above.....

Rwirish
08-04-2020, 05:19 AM
Always the center.

024engine
08-04-2020, 07:16 AM
Center

alwann
08-04-2020, 07:39 AM
The middle. But don't forget to add yards mentally for elevation.

Polar Bear
08-04-2020, 09:17 AM
The middle. But don't forget to add yards mentally for elevation.
Or subtract. :)

stadry
08-05-2020, 04:51 AM
yardage isn't much of a concern when compared to direction ;-)

BryanTheGolfPro
08-05-2020, 04:52 AM
Yardage is to the middle of the green (in the South).

Bethwill
08-05-2020, 06:43 AM
I always assumed it was for the entire hole, because they seem to move the markers in the tee box to coincide with pin placement on the green.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-05-2020, 07:37 AM
yardage isn't much of a concern when compared to direction ;-)

They are equally important. A shot that finishes 30 feet left of right of the hole is the same as one that finishes 30 feet short of long of it.

Of course the condition in which the balls lies may make a difference but assuming both balls land on the green, both shots are equal and direction and distance are equally as important.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
08-05-2020, 07:39 AM
I always assumed it was for the entire hole, because they seem to move the markers in the tee box to coincide with pin placement on the green.

I've noticed this on the executive courses as well. But that doesn't change the fact that the yardage from the plate is to the middle of the green. I think that they do place the markers and cut the holes, on par threes, so that the distance on the plate is close to how the hole is actually playing.

dewilson58
08-05-2020, 07:42 AM
Or subtract. :)

& that is why i carry a calculator.

chas39
08-05-2020, 10:43 AM
Center

wmcgowan
08-05-2020, 11:32 AM

finally ! a question of relevance

yankygrl
08-05-2020, 12:23 PM
I was told by starter shack friends and golf course maintenance several years ago that on executive courses the holes are placed on the green “daily” and then “sited” back to tee off area and the appropriate black, gold or green balls were placed for the yardage listed. Not so sure this is the case any longer ESPECIALLY when the mowing crews are doing that on days of play WHILE players are on the course. For my game a yard here or there doesn’t matter, LPGA isn’t looking for me to play.

yabbadu
08-05-2020, 01:30 PM

This type of question is best responded to by taking Golf and Rules classes. NOT Here say.

When a course is laid out by the golf course builders, the markers at EACH tee box is always marked to the Center of the Green. Where the flag is placed daily is a plus or minus from that center point on the green. Have golfed at hundreds of courses in North America and never found any exceptions. Laser, Maps or instrument used while golfing is to assist you from where you are standing but the marker block in the ground is ALWAYS to the Center of Green in spite of what else is moved.

Good luck hitting that spot........:bigbow:

sloanst
08-06-2020, 08:09 AM

From the center of the tee box to the center of the green.

Marshaw
08-06-2020, 02:45 PM
Center. Color of flag will let you know if the pictures is front back or center.

yabbadu
08-06-2020, 04:40 PM
From the center of the tee box to the center of the green.

NO.... From the block marker in the ground that Never moves to the Center of the green.

Tee boxes come in many shops and sizes which is why the block is set at build time and they laser to the center of the green from the block.

yabbadu
08-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Center. Color of flag will let you know if the pictures is front back or center.

They do not use the colored flag systems in The Villages. On Exec courses they use small flag on pole itself and and move it up/down/center when they set the new holes for the day.

Championship Courses have designated general area for the day based 1, or 2 ,or 3 on the scorecard provided at check in shack.

tvbound
08-06-2020, 10:36 PM
I like to chuckle when two different players, each using their own range finders from the same tee box, want to argue over a few yards of distance. As if they were good enough that it makes a difference. lol

Dynsol
08-07-2020, 05:50 AM
I like to chuckle when two different players, each using their own range finders from the same tee box, want to argue over a few yards of distance. As if they were good enough that it makes a difference. lol

Amen brother!!!!!:bigbow:

Dynsol
08-07-2020, 05:53 AM

No colored flags in The Villages! If that has started please advise where..Which Course(s)

barbnick
08-08-2020, 06:28 AM
I heard a golf Ambassador died of COVID. Is this true

Two Bills
08-08-2020, 06:39 AM
I heard a golf Ambassador died of COVID. Is this true

Go to this thread for info.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villages-response-covid-19-shameful-309852/