PDA

View Full Version : Morse Blvd. Bridge very dangerous

jebartle
08-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I swear I see my dead grandmother every time I drive on that VERY narrow golf cart path....I've witnessed golf carts touching the curbing and coming close to jumping curb and into on-coming traffic....Is it just me? Can anything be done? speed bumps, making paths wider, making walking paths narrower?

teachnmo
08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
We were discussing this same issue tonight. The other couple thought it should be suggested that they make a boardwalk bridge for the golf carts. Apparently California has several of these in use.

784caroline
08-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Its all about driving toooo fast..If everone would slow down there would not be a problem...although i also have scrapped my rims on the side. That will certainly wake you up.

Army Guy
08-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I agree with 784, when we first started driving it we just kept the same speed. And yes, we had several close calls. But then I decided to finally slow down and have not had a problem at all.
Army Guy

missyomama
08-10-2010, 07:47 AM
I agree, we need to travel this bridge at a much slower speed. Now if I just can convince the guy that is coming directly at me full tilt!! Yikes...

Lou Card
08-10-2010, 07:49 AM
10 MPH speed limit on the bridge

ajbrown
08-10-2010, 07:50 AM
First time I went across I said to my wife "what were they thinking" with this design? The bridge does not seem to get a whole lot of pedestrian traffic so it seems the walkway could have been smaller, or left at the same level as the cart path, but there may be codes they had to follow on that.

I agree you should go across slowly and it is not that I am worried that I am going to hit the curb. To me the real danger is I have no where to bail if an oncoming cart makes a mistake. I breath a sigh of relief with every cart that passes by.....

skip0358
08-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Wish everyone would watch the speed over that bridge. Guess the speed limit sign is a waste of time., it says 10 MPH. Very few even try to move over a liitle never mind slowing down.

Tweety Bird
08-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I agree, we need to travel this bridge at a much slower speed. Now if I just can convince the guy that is coming directly at me full tilt!! Yikes...

Just don't wave while you're driving. Keep focused. :)

njbchbum
08-10-2010, 08:08 AM
a quick fix might be to throw down some speed bumps with the appropriate warning signage also posted at lane entry.

Talk Host
08-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I think it's dangerous at any speed. Even if you obey the speed limit, chances are that the other cart isn't.

pooh
08-10-2010, 08:59 AM
You're right, most of the time they're not. What the heck is the big rush???!!!

cybermuda
08-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I think it's dangerous at any speed. Even if you obey the speed limit, chances are that the other cart isn't.

They could replace the vertical curb with a gently sloping one painted yellow

That way carts could use the extra width unless there was a pedestrian using the sidewalk (which I have never seen)

Keeping below 10 mph certainly helps, but it is still not a safe piece of road

Is there a local law requiring a raised sidewalk along a bridge?

Mikeod
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I would guess the width of the sidewalk is to allow wheelchairs to use the path if desired. The law that prescribes equal access to public areas specifies a minimum width for ramps, paths, etc.

zcaveman
08-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Being from the Marion county area, I usually try to go the Buena Vista route to get to LSL but when I do have to cross the bridge I do it very slowly when there is someone coming in the opposite direction.

I always wonder if two LSVs traveling in different directions have enough room to pass or two carts with the hard side doors and the extended mirrors have a problem.

Since it is on the south side of 466, maybe when you get an AAC type committee, you can try to get the path made wider like we are getting the cart paths widened on the north side.

Z

iandwk
08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
What amazes me is that I will be almost touching the curb and the oncoming cart has both wheels on the center line and the driver has his knee sticking out. A hard knee can do a lot of damage to a golf cart at 20 mph, so you jokers suck your knees back in! My wife and I both slow to a crawl when we meet someone on the bridge.

Talk Host
08-10-2010, 05:48 PM
What amazes me is that I will be almost touching the curb and the oncoming cart has both wheels on the center line and the driver has his knee sticking out. A hard knee can do a lot of damage to a golf cart at 20 mph, so you jokers suck your knees back in! My wife and I both slow to a crawl when we meet someone on the bridge.

And a golf cart can do a lot of damage to a hard need at 20 miles per hour. There have been a fair share of broken bones as a result of knees sticking out.

jebartle
08-11-2010, 04:28 AM
LSV's can use Buena Vista, thank goodness!

swrinfla
08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I hate that bridge, and really use it only when I'm taking papers to the recycling dumpster at Hope Lutheran Church!

Yes, the sign says a speed limit of 10 mph, but, please tell me, how many golf carts actually have a speedometer?????????

Too bad the bridge doesn't fall within the guidelines of the current cart path remodeling happening north of CR466!

Maybe later on, we can agitate for improvement!

SWR
:beer3:

Vinny
08-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Amphibious golf carts. No bridge necessary but look out for the gators. :jester:

Fourpar
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM
It is an adventure to cross the bridge anytime, but it gets really interesting when you are faced with one of those over sized carts with the huge wing-like mirrors hanging out to the side! :cus:

golfnut
08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Aren't LSV's and golf carts the same width???...gn

Shimpy
08-12-2010, 04:14 PM

When I approach the bridge and it is empty, I go full speed to get past it before another cart approaches from the other direction. If a cart approaches I slow almost to a crawl till I pass. Even then I can smell the drivers breath as we barely scrape by.

P.S. Like your pic on the wing.

pooh
08-12-2010, 05:17 PM
When I approach the bridge and it is empty, I go full speed to get past it before another cart approaches from the other direction. If a cart approaches I slow almost to a crawl till I pass. Even then I can smell the drivers breath as we barely scrape by.

P.S. Like your pic on the wing.

LOL....you and I are very much alike in this Shimpy!

BBQMan
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Aren't LSV's and golf carts the same width???...gn

The Tomberlin and the Par Car are 47.25 inches wide - the same width as Yamaha and Club Car Golf Carts. The GEM is an entirely different matter with a width of 55". Hope this helps.

NYVette
08-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Getting back to the pedestrian path on the bridge. There is no marked pedestrian path on either end of the bridge. People can walk on the paths because the paths are multimodal. So, why would a dedicated pedestrian path be required to go over the bridge taking valuable golf cart space away?

pooh
08-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Getting back to the pedestrian path on the bridge. There is no marked pedestrian path on either end of the bridge. People can walk on the paths because the paths are multimodal. So, why would a dedicated pedestrian path be required to go over the bridge taking valuable golf cart space away?

Cart paths may be multimodal, but if walking on the bridge path and you find carts coming from both directions, someone is going to be in the way. The sidewalk over the bridge allows walkers the opportunity to stop, look out over the lake, watch the gators swimming, take pictures if they like....and not be holding up traffic or get injured.

jebartle
08-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Why don't the street legals get on Morse?....that solves one problem, now, if we can get everyone to drive careful in this small stretch, until developers remedy this accident" looking for a place to happen"....Actually it is not an "if" but "when"....Please everyone be careful! No need to race in paradise!

otherbruddaDarrell
08-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Speed bumps= lower speed.:D

golf2140
08-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Speed bumps do not help with common sense!!!

otherbruddaDarrell
08-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Speed bumps do not help with common sense!!!

I agree, but it might slow them down!!

RichieLion
08-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Cart paths may be multimodal, but if walking on the bridge path and you find carts coming from both directions, someone is going to be in the way. The sidewalk over the bridge allows walkers the opportunity to stop, look out over the lake, watch the gators swimming, take pictures if they like....and not be holding up traffic or get injured.

I've encountered many people walking, biking and skating on the multi-model paths and slow or stop to let carts get by them before I pass in order to respect the non-carters space and maintain safety.
I have however seen carts speeding down these paths and flying around curves with little regard for other carters or pedestrians.
On the bridge pedestrians would have no place to jump to if one of these inconsiderate idiots is speeding toward them with no inclination to slow down, if they didn't have the sidewalk.
It's useless to try to alter the behavior of self-centered dopes who feel they have to get everywhere in a hurry and other people be damned. All you can do is relax, take a breath and let Johnny Rocket get by you by giving way as much as you can and watchout for the pedestrians and bikers as if they were your family.

pooh
08-15-2010, 12:40 PM
I've encountered many people walking, biking and skating on the multi-model paths and slow or stop to let carts get by them before I pass in order to respect the non-carters space and maintain safety.
I have however seen carts speeding down these paths and flying around curves with little regard for other carters or pedestrians.
On the bridge pedestrians would have no place to jump to if one of these inconsiderate idiots is speeding toward them with no inclination to slow down, if they didn't have the sidewalk.
It's useless to try to alter the behavior of self-centered dopes who feel they have to get everywhere in a hurry and other people be damned. All you can do is relax, take a breath and let Johnny Rocket get by you by giving way as much as you can and watchout for the pedestrians and bikers as if they were your family.

So true, Richie. I recognize that there might be times when we must hurry, but if we must, it doesn't mean we have the right to endanger others. I agree, let them get the heck out of my area so I can move along in safety.

Rag Bagger
08-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Remember when Joey Chitwood would drive a car all the way around the race track on two wheels. All we need is some training and ramps at each end of the bridge. Problem solved.

Chazz
08-18-2010, 04:49 PM
LSV's can use Buena Vista, thank goodness!

They can, also, use the main road on Morse, instead of the narrow cart path.

Chazz
08-18-2010, 04:58 PM

I agree! I believe that would make the path as wide as most other multi modal sections, and more safely allow carts, bikes and pedestrians to share the road. Of course, the question of funding would have to be addressed.

GMONEY
08-19-2010, 05:09 AM
:BigApplause:I've encountered many people walking, biking and skating on the multi-model paths and slow or stop to let carts get by them before I pass in order to respect the non-carters space and maintain safety.

:BigApplause: :BigApplause:

mrdills
08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Thats one of the reasons I bought a LSV, I don't have to worry about people driving at a high rate of speed on that bridge. I am surprised that no one has been killed on that bridge yet. If you have to drive on that bridge go slow and smell the roses. :wave:

memason
08-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Call me a big dumb a**, but I don't think the Morse bridge is all that bad. I've been driving more than 40 years and have driven on much worse.

Just keep it between the lines....no problem. :shrug:

GMONEY
08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Call me a big dumb a**, but I don't think the Morse bridge is all that bad. I've been driving more than 40 years and have driven on much worse.

Just keep it between the lines....no problem. :shrug:

while Ritchie has a great point, I do agree with you memason..... If everyone followed the rule of speed across it and was not in such a hurry, then it would be no problem. I have driven much worse in Japan and espically the Phillippines. But with that said.. The dangerous part for me is the curbing right next to the road. I was cycling across the bridge months and months back, and there was accident on the bridge. all the carts were stopped as I went by and a elderly lady laying on the cart path face down. I do not know what happened, but it didnt look good from my view. I could only imagine if 2 carts had hit head on and the lady had flown out onto Morse... There is the problem.

If everyone followed the rules, yes it would be no problem what so ever.. that is why I stay on Morse on when I am cycling that way.