PDA

View Full Version : Ie9

redwitch
08-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I just received an email from one of my computer gurus. She told me that IE9 was coming out September 15th. She also said do NOT install it -- it has too many bugs in it. So, just a head's up.

graciegirl
08-13-2010, 09:23 PM
What is an ie9, Redwitch?

redwitch
08-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Internet Explorer 9

Hawkwind
08-13-2010, 09:36 PM
The beta version of IE9 will be released to the public on Sept. 15 and no date has been released as to when the production version will be released but don't look for it until next spring and that depends on how the beta testing goes.

Also IE9 will not run on machines running Windows XP. This is due to a new hardware acceleration feature of the browser that uses a version of DirectX only available in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

A new JavaScript engine will be in the new version that will make IE run much faster and in early testing is said to be faster than the current version of FoxFire.

I agree that you should not download the beta version as you may run into problems or want to play. And NEVER install a beta on your primary PC.

I ran the first beta of IE8 when it was first released and found that some of the old features in IE7 had quit working and this is common for the first release of a beta. They were added back in as newer beta's were released.

Pturner
08-13-2010, 09:38 PM
I agree, Red. Sept. 15 is the beta launch. I'm an alpha dog. :laugh: Seriously, it's better to wait for the full release, better yet, v1.2 or higher.

r_foye
08-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Just install Mozilla Firefox as your web browser and dump IE altogether. Just my 2 cents.

chacam
08-14-2010, 05:43 AM
What are the benefits of Firefox ove IE ? I use Mozilla T Bird for e-mail and it seems pretty slow.

l2ridehd
08-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Firefox works much better. Faster, not as many attacks, does not transmit your search data for advertisers, and it more stable. I have had zero problems since going to Mozilla. IE used to bring my system to it's knees. And the day they forced my search history to support their ad business was the day I deleted it and it will never be installed again until they change that.

zcaveman
08-14-2010, 07:43 AM
I tried Firefox and was not impressed. I use IE8 as my primary browser and use Firefox occasionally just to keep it up to date and see the changes.

But then some people like Chrome and some like Safari.

l2ridehd
08-14-2010, 08:08 AM
zcaveman, I would have to ask what feature of IE do you have that Mozilla does not have? So far I have found they have them all. A few different names, but the same features. There are 3 huge reasons to use Mozilla IMO. Virus attacks, malware and search tracking for ad reasons.
1. Virus attacks. Because of the widespread use of IE and the limited use of Firefox, almost all virus attacks are targeted toward IE and almost none toward Firefox. This causes the system to run slower, and takes many extra processing cycles. Just go to task manger and watch your CPU use on IE.
2. Malware, same as number 1
3. Search tracking. IE monitors your search and which web sites you go to from that search. They transmit this data and maintain a data base about you and your search preference and site selection. They use that to target which ads you are most likely to respond to. And it is almost impossible to disable this feature. You have to go into the system bios to disable. And you have to do it EVERY time you open IE because it is designed to change it back. I do not want them doing that. Again it chews up CPU cycles and slows down your system. Firefox does not do this.

Do a test. Run Malware bytes and clean your system. Do 10 searches using Mozilla. Run it again. Then do the same thing but do 10 searches with IE. You will switch after that test.

zcaveman
08-14-2010, 10:03 AM
I saved your writeup and will do it when I get a chance.

I use Norton and have yet to catch a virus. Norton usually catches them. I search with Google so I do not think it matters but it might. I do occasional checks of my CPU, etc and have yet to be short on cycles or even feel a blip hen on the internet and I usually have 5-6 tabs open.

I used to run Ad-Aware religiously before their last update took over my system and never had any malware. I am looking for an new malware checker. I will look at Malware Bytes.

I do agree that IE8 gets most of the security breaches because it is the most used. That does not mean that the hackers might not be exploiting Firefox or trying to.

But I will do these things you ask.

Z

l2ridehd
08-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I like Malware Bytes. And the free version is fine, don't buy the one they sell. It will find anything that is there that shouldn't be and allow you to correct it just by selecting the item. I usually do them all that they find. I run Mcafee virus protection and this will find things that does not. Although in fairness to each, they are designed to do different things. Not all viruses are malware and vice versa.

ajbrown
08-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Love Malware Bytes!

One piece of security software I have been playing with is a tool called Sandboxie at http://www.sandboxie.com/.

I happened across it recently when looking for ways to isolate software from a system. If it does what it claims, it a makes a copy of critical files needed for IE or FF into a isolated area. Malicious software (virus/malware) cannot write to your real data to make a permanent change and infect your system.

It is free for personal use. The only caveat is when you start IE in a sandbox it pauses for 5 seconds to remind you it is free :)

zcaveman
08-14-2010, 01:58 PM
I saved your writeup and will do it when I get a chance.

I use Norton and have yet to catch a virus. Norton usually catches them. I search with Google so I do not think it matters but it might. I do occasional checks of my CPU, etc and have yet to be short on cycles or even feel a blip hen on the internet and I usually have 5-6 tabs open.

I used to run Ad-Aware religiously before their last update took over my system and never had any malware. I am looking for an new malware checker. I will look at Malware Bytes.

I do agree that IE8 gets most of the security breaches because it is the most used. That does not mean that the hackers might not be exploiting Firefox or trying to.

But I will do these things you ask.

Z

I did it all. I installed Malware Bytes. First I did the full system and after 30 minutes had 3 objects and said forget it. I then ran the quick scan to find the 8 objects and deleted them.

I ran IE8 and did lots of searches and ran MB and had 0 objects.

I then ran Firefox and did lots of searches and got annoyed by all of the Norton popups. I got rid of the Norton tool bar (which I do not have on IE8) and they still came up. I also had to reload Flash player so that Firefox could get its add-on. IE8 finds these automatically.

I am not going to go through the numerous differences between IE8 and Firefox. I remember that I had already done this with a friend that loves Firefox. Let's just say that I like IE8 and you like Firefox and leave it at that. Neither of us will convert one to the other.

I will mention my two biggest. The inability of Firefox to present your home page when you open a new tab (I have my own personal home page that has my most used sites on it) and the inability of Firefox to show a Favorites bar. I know there is a pulldown of most visited places but it is not the same as having your six or seven favorite sites at the top.

And after rereading your note, I really have doubts about #3. I think if MS actual did this gazillions of users would be up in arms. If fact I think Google got in trouble for trying this. It is a normal functions of sites to use cookies to gather your search choices and to present you with certain ads or screens based on prior visits. This can be controlled by deleting your cookies on a periodic basis or using the screens to your advantage.

That is one difference between Ad-aware and Malware Bytes. Ad-Aware always asked me if I wanted to delete the tracking cookies. Which I figured out was no good since they start rebuilding when I went surfing again.

Some like gas and some like electric. Some like Yamaha and some like EZGO. Some like stick and some like CBS. I like IE8 and you like Firefox.

Z

:beer3: