PDA

View Full Version : First Weekend Trip Since covid

mtdjed
09-13-2020, 08:53 PM
My wife and I took our first weekend trip since COVID began. We usually take at least one per month to places like Clearwater, St Augustine , Sarasota etc.

Booked two days at Holiday Inn Express in Bay Pines, Madeira Beach. This post just to inform readers of the current experience and not to promote area , hotel or restaurants. In summary, we are ready to travel again (this way).

From The Villages, traveled 1 hour and took a break at the Tampa Bay Outlets in Land of Lakes. All stores require masks to enter. No problem and I solved a problem. I found a store that carried waist size 35 men's shorts and pants. I cannot wear waist 34 and waist 36 is baggy. Some stores were limiting shopper entrance.

Stopped at Tampa International Mall for lunch at The Pub. Masks required, and lunch prices have increased, but still good.

Arrived at HIX, found it to be quite well utilized. There were many young lady softball teams and parents. Signs requiring masks were well used. Most people complied. If not distances were kept. The hotel breakfast (free) was now served Cafeteria Style and not self served. It was better than before. Many sanitation stations. No daily room service but there was a knock at the door asking if anything needed. Don't know how that would work if we were not there. Felt comfortable in room, elevators an breakfast room. Pool and Exercise rooms were open. Coffee available all day. No newspapers. Each rooms ACs were limited to that room.

Bjeanj
09-14-2020, 09:31 AM
Good to know. We are ready for a 1-2 day trip to SOMEWHERE. All precautions taken, but ready for change Of scenery.

kathyspear
09-14-2020, 10:37 AM
From The Villages, traveled 1 hour and took a break at the Tampa Bay Outlets in Land of Lakes. All stores require masks to enter. No problem and I solved a problem. I found a store that carried waist size 35 men's shorts and pants. I cannot wear waist 34 and waist 36 is baggy. Some stores were limiting shopper entrance.

And the store is ... ? Thx.

kathy

davem4616
09-14-2020, 12:19 PM
our primary MD gave us the okay to escape somewhere when we saw him last week

we've rented a beachfront cottage on Amelia Island for a week...about a 2 hour drive, we'll bring our own food/wine/beer with us and do all our own cooking (like we do currently)... it'll be swim trunks, flip flops and beach umbrellas for the week

felt more comfortable going with a small cottage right on the beach through Airbnb than being in a condo and staying on the 5th or 6th floor

we've used Airbnb to rent cottages on Cape Cod and OBX in the past and been very happy

kaydee
09-14-2020, 09:30 PM
We are staying at Bon-Aire Resort ion St Pete Beach. Need to get away & we feel confident that we will be safe as all CDC guidelines are being followed & enforced.

CFrance
09-14-2020, 09:54 PM
We would like a condo rental on the beach that is dog friendly and has an elevator. Our elderly dog cannot do stairs. We went to La Quinta on the beach at Cocoa, but they are in the midst of renovations, so pretty noisy. Plus I would like more space than one room. Any dog owners with suggestions for either coast would be appreciated. A bonus would be if dogs are allowed on the beach.

Girlcopper
09-15-2020, 05:37 AM
We would like a condo rental on the beach that is dog friendly and has an elevator. Our elderly dog cannot do stairs. We went to La Quinta on the beach at Cocoa, but they are in the midst of renovations, so pretty noisy. Plus I would like more space than one room. Any dog owners with suggestions for either coast would be appreciated. A bonus would be if dogs are allowed on the beach.
Not many beaches allow dogs as far as I know. Condo rentals right now are limited with huge restrictions due to the virus. Especially if the units are mostly permanenet residents and not tourists. I know several that limit the use of any amenities to visitors. They can only be used by the people who reside their full time, not seasonal drop by visitors

Patwands
09-15-2020, 06:27 AM
Went to Amelia Island last week for 3 days. It was wonderful. We stayed at a small boutiques hotel. Masks and social distancing was required. Weather, beach and surf was terrific. Enjoy your trip.

Imadancer
09-15-2020, 06:42 AM
All beaches in Dauphin Island, Alabama are dog friendly. Houses have many stairs, but some with elevators.

sjeffries
09-15-2020, 07:00 AM
Check with Alden Suites in St Pete Beach. They allow dogs in poolside suites. It is right on the beach and each suite has a kitchen and separate living area. We go every year for 3-4 days. My favorite spot is the beach bar and snack shack.

sjeffries
09-15-2020, 07:03 AM
:welcome:

Lgwilliams
09-15-2020, 07:05 AM
I recommend St. Pete Beach Suites. Dog friendly remodeled motel just one block from the beach. And you can get a one bedroom suite for just a little more space.

J1ceasar
09-15-2020, 07:06 AM
Several larger timeshares available . also cottages on beach for across st .

wiltma
09-15-2020, 08:20 AM
We are currently at the Daytona Regency enjoying the ocean. It is a timeshare type unit with full kitchen. Brought our own food etc although Publix is nearby. Right next door is the Wyndham Ocean Walk. Have stayed there in the past. Prefer Wyndham. Mask mandate in Daytona. Feeling safe

Pickleballer3
09-15-2020, 09:31 AM
Sounds great, we do miss our short trips from The Villages, Florida has so much to see. Be safe and be safe for others.

KakiOmmm
09-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Cape San Blas FL is a beautiful area but quite remote. It's a bit of a drive from here. It is a narrow peninsula off the coast from Port St. Joe. Condos and homes for rent by the week or month maybe some for a long weekend. Dogs allowed on the beach and in most rentals. The condos we used to stay in cater to those with dogs. We always loved it. The sand is so white and like powder and the water (was) is crystal clear.

Dgodin
09-15-2020, 10:17 AM
We have just returned from a 2 week trip to PA. On the trip up we stayed in hotels in VA and PA. I felt comfortable in the hotels as we had little human contact except the receptionist and hotels were nowhere near capacity. Breakfast was provided via go bags. Stops at gas stations were a bit more of a problem as a lot of patrons did not mask. We brought a large picnic size cooler with us filled with food, lunch meat, drinks and ate at rest stops and parks most of the time although we did eat out. Most states have a mandatory mask policy in restaurants although compliance varies. Chain restaurants were better about it than mom and pops. People in rural areas were less likely to mask than urban. On the way back we stopped in Greenville, SC and a suburb of Atlanta, GA. In SC mask compliance was pretty good, especially in the city where people wore them while walking downtown. Also in SC the hotel swimming pool was closed. GA was another story. No distancing or mask use anywhere except a few people here and there who I suspect were travelers.
It is possible to travel safely but plan ahead.

asiebel
09-15-2020, 12:36 PM
We too are feeling the need for a change of scenery! We have booked a few days at Turtle Crawl On Longboat Key!!

Bridget Staunton
09-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Thank you sir that was great would you recommend hotel and if so please provide name. Really appreciated