PDA

View Full Version : Knocking sound from rear axle

cybermuda
08-16-2010, 03:19 PM
When I go round a corner fairly fast there is a knock from the rear of the cart - sounds like it's from the right rear wheel - which doesn't happen at slower speeds.

Any idea what this might be, and how to fix it?

Is it a wheel-bearing that needs replacing, tightening or greasing?

Thank you

ajbrown
08-17-2010, 06:06 AM
When I go round a corner fairly fast there is a knock from the rear of the cart - sounds like it's from the right rear wheel - which doesn't happen at slower speeds.

Any idea what this might be, and how to fix it?

Is it a wheel-bearing that needs replacing, tightening or greasing?

Thank you

A take off on an old DR. joke would be , "don't go around a corner fairly fast!" :duck:

To my ear, a bad bearing makes more of a whining, grinding noise as the bearing has too much play and is not turning smoothly. It would be heard more often then just hard cornering. If you suspect a bearing, google "how to check a bearing", there is lots of info. If it is a bearing, you would replace it and your next step would be determined by type of cart.

If it were my cart I would collect some more data:

Happens when I take a fast corner, both directions?
Is there just one knock, or it continues through the turn?
Jack the cart up and do a general inspection. Are all nuts tight, i.e., shocks, leaf springs to axle, hub, etc.

Good luck, from my experience, it is really hard describing noises..............

Lou Card
08-17-2010, 06:38 AM
look for a rock or nail in the tread of the tire. If no knots nails rocks etc. You are most likely looking at a wheel bearing.

cybermuda
08-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

It is just one knock, as if the right rear wheel were sliding a short distance (along the axle?) and hitting an end stop

A fast corner the other way causes a similar knock - the wheel sliding back?

It seems to depend on the force of cornering - a slow sharp corner will produce the knock, as will a wider corner taken fast

Lou Card
08-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

It is just one knock, as if the right rear wheel were sliding a short distance (along the axle?) and hitting an end stop

A fast corner the other way causes a similar knock - the wheel sliding back?

It seems to depend on the force of cornering - a slow sharp corner will produce the knock, as will a wider corner taken fast
That is not a rock or nail. I thought when you said knocking, that it was continuous. You need a mechanic to look at your cart before the loose part come undone completely.

zcaveman
08-17-2010, 08:27 AM
That is not a rock or nail. I thought when you said knocking, that it was continuous. You need a mechanic to look at your cart before the loose part come undone completely.

Agree. I had a noise in my right read wheel. EZGO came out and took the wheel off and had to realign and tighten something on the axle.

charlie49
08-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Check the rubber bushings where the bolts go through the end of the leaf springs. If they have worn out, the leaf spring slides on the bolt and causes a loud noise going around some corners.

Charlie

cybermuda
08-19-2010, 01:22 PM
And the winner is - Charlie49

I took the cart to Town & Country this morning and they identified the worn rubber bushes on the leaf springs as being the cause of the knocking - approx $80 to fix including labor

Thank you everyone for your input on this problem

golfnut
08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
I too replaced the rubber bushings on my CC, cost for both back springs $12, took me about 15 minutes to do it in the garage....gn