PDA

View Full Version : Still Alice

troubletog
08-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Has anyone read Still Alice? It's about a woman with early onset Alzheimers. Very moving and kind of scary! My bookclub just finished reading it and everyone enjoyed it! It's a very quick read too.

jannd228
08-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Has anyone read Still Alice? It's about a woman with early onset Alzheimers. Very moving and kind of scary! My bookclub just finished reading it and everyone enjoyed it! It's a very quick read too.

the daughter of the author was in a dance class I taught at the Chatham Community Center before it was published, very nice family, very moving story

Taj44
08-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Yes, its a tremendous book. It really gives you the feeling you understand what is going on in her mind, the confusion she feels at first, which of course gradually gives way to something much more insidious.

joannej
08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
The author of this book is a neurologist (as I recall). It is very frightening how quickly early onset Alzheimers can come on as what happened to Alice. What made the book so fascinating to me, is that the book is from Alice's viewpoint. It was a very good read and very informational too.

jblum8156
08-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Read it years and years ago and it still haunts my mind. Then a movie called "Away from Her," with Julie Christie, even more moving.

jannd228
08-26-2010, 08:52 AM
The author of this book is a neurologist (as I recall). It is very frightening how quickly early onset Alzheimers can come on as what happened to Alice. What made the book so fascinating to me, is that the book is from Alice's viewpoint. It was a very good read and very informational too.

this link is Lisa's website, http://www.lisagenova.com/
and the book,
http://www.stillalice.com/

Microcodegirl
07-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I just finished reading it. It was a wonderful book. My brother in law has early onset Alzheimers so the book really hit home. It is a terrifying & sad disease.

Love2cruise
07-17-2013, 04:58 PM
I read this a while ago. It was very moving & as the OP said very scary.

ylisa7
09-02-2013, 07:32 AM
This was an excellent book. Heartbreaking but very good.

graciegirl
09-02-2013, 08:10 AM
One of the reasons I don't like book clubs. They seem to read deep, troubling, sad books.

I have enough unbidden deep, sad, troubling thoughts.

George Bieniaszek
09-02-2013, 09:05 AM
As Scooter the DJ and his gang of followers would say (sing) --

"Alice, ALICE, Who The H*LL Is Alice!!!!!??"

OK, Sorry, didn't mean any disrespect, but this was a post that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to comment on :)

angiefox10
09-02-2013, 06:29 PM
I loved Still Alice. I recommend it to everyone. It helped me to understand what a person living with this is feeling. It's a different perspective than from the caregivers point of view! Lisa put me IN the book! That to me is the sign of a good book!

She is only 42 with three highly acclaimed books under her belt. I can't wait to read the other two!

mrsyarbie
09-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I agree it was a very sad book. we read it in our bookclub as well. It makes us all realize how quickly our lives can change and how important is is ( if possible) to know our family histories.There are many diseases like Huntingtons disease that can be so tragic for those who carry the gene.
But Gracie I am happy to report we read some fun and happy books as well..:wave: