PDA

View Full Version : How many stamps do you have on your passport?

Taltarzac
08-22-2010, 06:55 AM
A conversation from Eat, Pary, Love has the heroine's passport having 49 stamps while her import/export lover has 47 on his.

Because of Eat, Pray, Love, I was wondering how well traveled TOTVers are?

I have only been to Mexico and Canada so am not what I would call well traveled but I have been to 3/4s of the US States.

2 Oldcrabs
08-22-2010, 07:30 AM
We have visited Canada only. Most of the world hates the USA. I will spend my money here !

memason
08-22-2010, 08:21 AM
We have visited Canada only. Most of the world hates the USA. I will spend my money here !

Quite a statement! How would know, if you've never been anywhere?

I can tell you, from experience, most the world does NOT hate Americans.

Just saying.....keeping it real

pooh
08-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Been to Mexico, but didn't need a passport for that when I lived on the west coast. Have been to many of the US states, though not Alaska. Heading across the pond next year to visit the UK. Will then get a stamp on my passport... ;)

rjm1cc
08-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I have no stampsl because most of the countries I have good to do not stamp or in some cases do not look. For the most part I am on cruises and I could see the countries using different procedures at a terminal than at other border crossings.

l2ridehd
08-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I had to have pages added twice and after the second time they made me get a new passport when those were full even though it was only 9 years old. So my new one has only a few stamps. The visas for India and some other country take up a whole page. One year I had 60 entry and exits in 5 months. But am now doing a lot less travel so this one should last a while.

Taltarzac
08-22-2010, 04:09 PM
I had to have pages added twice and after the second time they made me get a new passport when those were full even though it was only 9 years old. So my new one has only a few stamps. The visas for India and some other country take up a whole page. One year I had 60 entry and exits in 5 months. But am now doing a lot less travel so this one should last a while.

There do seem to be some people on TOTV who have done a great deal of traveling. I wonder if Antarctica even has a stamp???

Russ_Boston
08-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Quite a statement! How would know, if you've never been anywhere?

I can tell you, from experience, most the world does NOT hate Americans.

Just saying.....keeping it real
:mademyday:

bmarlo767
08-22-2010, 05:56 PM

I can say from experience that is not true. I flew international flights for many years before retiring,and am now in Shanghai leaving tomorrow for Zhuhai China then Macao, Hong Kong, Seoul then Ord -Mco. I had to replace my passport last OCt,could not add any more pages.When I am asked "Where are you from"The most common reaction is a big SMILE. Thay might not like some of the policies(not my feelings) the US gov has but they like the American people.

djplong
09-14-2010, 07:10 AM
No stamps on mine. That'll change this weekend when my wife and I go on our honeymoon.

Nowadays, my travels would have managed 2 stamps (Canada and Mexico) but, of course, didn't need them when I went there.

My oldest daughter is a different story. She recently did a semester in England and, for Spring Break, did a month of travelling around Europe by rail (the EU Rail Pass was my Xmas present to her). They stamped her passport after the flight from London to Faro (Portugal) and she travelled all through Europe without another stamp, just walking through customs, until she tried to leave Germany and they took a close look at her passport, wondering how she'd gotten to Germany from Portugal. She told them she'd been to Spain, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic in the interim and none of them stamped it (nor did the German authorities when she entered).

My youngest has Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, England, France and Japan on hers.

Army Guy
09-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Someday I will have to tell you all how I screwed up and wound up with a Diplomatic Passport and had trouble getting into countries!

Army Guy

Rag Bagger
09-14-2010, 08:59 AM

You all need to get out more. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most people from other countries are very friendly and open. I traveled extensively in my former life and always found friendly people along the way. In Australia if you go in a bar for a cold one and start up a conversation you wind up being their guest and can no longer buy your own beer and everybody is your mate.

l2ridehd
09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
I agree with Ragbagger. I have traveled a lot and every place with very few exceptions is safe, friendly, and you are very welcome. Australia as mentioned, Singapore, Hong Kong, most of China, Thailand, all of Europe, even France, I have found the people very courteous and outgoing and welcome to Americans.

The few places I have found concerns, Malaysia and even there most are friendly, South Africa some minor issues, Sao Paulo, and all of them if you maintain some level of a low profile and minimize your risks you are fine. Venezuela, not really safe, Mexico city, also not safe, but keeping with a group and conscious of your surroundings, you can make do.

KayakerNC
09-14-2010, 11:34 AM
No stamps.
European travel courtesy of the USAF, Military ID was used for crossing international borders.
Cruise vacations, passport required but no stamping needed to go ashore.:pepper2:

djplong
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Our experience in Europe (England, France, Ireland) these past two weeks was nothing short of outstanding.

They most certainly do NOT hate Americans - at least not in THOSE countries. The ones my daughters have been to? Again, VERY friendly. I have some hilarious footage of a small crowd of Fijian schoolchidren horsing around with my daughter (a friend took her camera and recorded the episode).

billethkid
10-26-2010, 04:24 PM
working to fill my new one.

Being an over million miler frequent traveler (maybe 2 million!!) I can honestly say I have never been any where that "hates" Americans. Even some of the so called restricted countries that allow Americans, the people are friendly to Americans.

In my opinion the hate Americans is a political/media agenda item.

There are of course countries you don't want to go to because it is unsafe. I always kept updated through the state department on what and where to go/not go.

btk

2newyorkers
10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
I am on my third passport but that is because I got older! Most countries have not stamped my passport. My Honey and I never have any problems and enjoy meeting people from other countries. Neither of us speak another language fluently, yet most people in other countries speak a little English or fluent English.

collie1228
10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Funny you should ask that. Just last week I returned from a business trip to Taiwan,where I've visited well over 100 times in my career, and I counted the stamps on my passport while waiting for a connection. My current passport will be five years old in December, and I have 29 round trips to Taiwan on it plus seven round trips to the UK, and some other other onesies and twosies. So far I have over 80 stamps on it (it has extra pages). All but five trips were paid for by my company, and those five (vacations) were made on frequent flier miles.

chuckinca
10-26-2010, 06:31 PM
There do seem to be some people on TOTV who have done a great deal of traveling. I wonder if Antarctica even has a stamp???

My brother who lives in the historic area of TV went to the South Pole a few years ago while in the Kansas Air National Guard. He was a C130 crew chief and they were delivering supplies to the US base in Antarctica and made a short side trip. He said the pole(s) were at Elevation 10,000 feet - had a picture of him and a line up of poles (guess it moves back and forth over time).

Being US military, he didn't need a passport.

redwitch
10-26-2010, 09:58 PM
In general, I agree with the majority here -- most of the world does like Americans. Many do not like the Americans who behave as if the world belongs to America -- demanding that residents speak English; raising their voices when they can't be understood; refusing to understand the currency of a nation; thinking the dollar can buy anything. Those Americans are not liked with good reason. However, if you smile, learn a few words in the country you're visiting, are courteous and respectful, people will go out of their way to welcome you. I've found this to be true everywhere I've lived and visited.

I've been invited into homes for dinner by total strangers: Israel (both in a kibbutz and in an Arab's home), Paris (a couple met at dinner), Copenhagen (a couple in a bar). Tokyo (a woman who knocked me down) and Germany (a few occasions).

I will say that some English shocked me. I was in London 3 days after 9/11. Five different Brits told me it was past time that "we Yanks" got hit on our own soil. At the same time, I had many, many more tell me how genuinely sorry they were it had happened and what a true tragedy it was.

People all over the world are really the same. Some are kind and generous, open-hearted. Some are private. Some are unhappy. Some are genuinely mean-spirited.

BillShin
10-27-2010, 08:28 AM
I have had to have extra pages added to mine due to too many stamps.