PDA

View Full Version : Increasing speed

Phyrst
08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Any idea on the cost to increase speed on an 08 Par Car?

AKenMac
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I had an -08 Par Car and the technician could increase the speed by adjusting the controller - it went 24-25 mph - and could have been adjusted to go faster. No charge to do this.

I now have an '11 Par Car and they tell me there is no way to make it go faster than 19.9999 mph!!! I wish I still had my '08!

I will never buy another one from them when it cannot keep up with "normal" golf cart speeds.

Villageshooter
05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
why dont you go on the red light,,, drive when your really drunk,,, or for real excitement drive on the left side of the road!,,,,, do you realize going in excess of 20 mph is just as illegal as the examples above,,, and they cause an unsafe condition for all of us. Kudos to the shop that took that stand! Could you share that shop with all of us... as some of us will surely applaud there desire to the correct thing. BTW could you share with us which shop you have found to set your cart up for illegal operation.

red tail
05-14-2012, 12:22 PM
why dont you go on the red light,,, drive when your really drunk,,, or for real excitement drive on the left side of the road!,,,,, do you realize going in excess of 20 mph is just as illegal as the examples above,,, and they cause an unsafe condition for all of us. Kudos to the shop that took that stand! Could you share that shop with all of us... as some of us will surely applaud there desire to the correct thing. BTW could you share with us which shop you have found to set your cart up for illegal operation.

spoken like a true vigilante........

jimbo2012
05-14-2012, 12:31 PM
I now have an '11 Par Car and they tell me there is no way to make it go faster than 19.9999 mph!!!

That's not true, you can make any cart go faster - motor, gears, tire size.

They can do 35mph if you want.

Indydealmaker
05-14-2012, 12:52 PM
That's not true, you can make any cart go faster - motor, gears, tire size.

They can do 35mph if you want.
The shop meant that there was no LEGAL way to increase the speed above 20mph.

blueash
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM

Normal golf cart speed is the speed you need for playing golf. If you want a street legal, pay for that, and the license, and the insurance and have your extra 5 miles/hour. I find my just at 20 MPH cart keeps up fine with the others on the paths except the occassional driver who I suspect equates the speed of his golf cart with his masculinity.

ajbrown
05-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Ant idea on the cost to increase speed on an 08 Par Car?

And you thought you asked a question in a golf cart forum and found your self being schooled in law :ho:

No dealer should increase the speed beyond the legal limit. IMO they risk their dealership. With that said.....

You trying to go 25 MPH or is it that the cart going too slow, like 16 or 17 MPH?

rubicon
05-14-2012, 02:28 PM
I suspect someone had a conversation with this dealership. I know that when Timberline first arrived the cops told them it would be illegal to sell a cart that would exceed 20mph unless street legal. So if the poster wants to go faster than I am sure he/she can find someone who knows how to adjust the controller. I would not be judgmental and question that poster's desire to do so. After a few years of use with a cart that had some speed I decided it would be better to reduce the controller speed save on the wear of my cart and most imortantly maintain safety standards. I am happier, getting better mileage from my batteries and enjoying the ride more. To each his own...so when you guys with faster carts pass me I'll offer a friendly wave. God speed.:thumbup:

Mimivillager
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
If you must go over 20 mph, I hope you get caught and fined and please stay out of the cart paths where we go 20 or under legally.

asilver
05-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I agree. Look, - some TVers decided to buy street-legal carts and pay the extra registration and insurance premiums. The advantage is that they can go some places that non-street-legal carts can't go. And when the road is clear, they can motor along at 25mph. But many TVers have decided that 20mph is OK, or don't want to register as a motor vehicle. That means that often, street-legal carts will find themselves behind a cart traveling at a speed slower than their top speed. They shouldn't expect the slower cart to pull off the road to let them pass! Wait unitl the road is clear, then pass, .... WITHOUT BEING RUDE! That way, we all respectfully share the bounty that is The Villages.

rubicon
05-14-2012, 03:54 PM
From my perspective the bigger problem on the cart paths are not those so called speeders but those going below 16mph. Factually most so call speeders on cart paths are traveling aroud 22-23 mph and not maintaining that speed due to the number of other vehicles, pedestrians, ec on the cart paths. Whereas the slow pokes back things up badly

HHMAN
05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Kudos to all of you who support the legal speed limit! I get so upset to think that I live in a place where a lot of cart drivers have no respect for the law. I just hope y'all get a ticket. Why do you need to be in such a hurry? It's wrong and not necessary!!!

2 Oldcrabs
05-22-2012, 06:23 AM
When you insure a "golf cart", the insurance company is insuring vehicle that does not exceed 20mph. If you are in an accident and it is investigated and the insurance co finds the speed has been increased above 20 mph they may decline the claim. If you are at fault it could be many $$$$ out of your pocket. You could fight the Insurance co in court (more $$$$), but in the state of Florida the Insurance seem to have the "upper hand" What is the rush?:gc:

Jim 9922
05-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Don't feel bad AKenMac, that all those people jumped on you for wanting to speed up a bit. I'm sure that they all have installed govenors on their cars so that they NEVER go faster than 70 MPH on Florida's Interstate's (or 65 MPH in other states) or maybe to go faster just to keep up with traffic flow. That would be speeding too.

bluedog103
05-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Don't feel bad AKenMac, that all those people jumped on you for wanting to speed up a bit. I'm sure that they all have installed govenors on their cars so that they NEVER go faster than 70 MPH on Florida's Interstate's (or 65 MPH in other states) or maybe to go faster just to keep up with traffic flow. That would be speeding too.
Since most golf carts don't have speedometers I think a lot of folks who think they're driving the speed limit are actually blazing along at a ripsnorting 17 mph or so. These are the same folks you see on I-95 driving 55 mph in the left lane with their turn signal flashing. Then they whine because all the rude speeders are pulling up behind them and flashing their lights for them to move over.

Golfer in Sanibel
05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
:popcorn:

Mickedamouse24
05-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Rubicon... isn't 22 - 23 mph speeding? Just saying...!! Why are these folks in such a hurry?????

uujudy
05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Any idea on the cost to increase speed on an 08 Par Car?

I think it's $180 for each ticket.

Mimivillager
05-23-2012, 11:23 AM
:mademyday:I think it's $180 for each ticket.

jimbo2012
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
A cart can have the capability of going over 20mph speed limit because there are times when extra power is needed to go up hills or carry extra weight.

It's upto the driver to control the speed, just like a car can go 120 mph.

LittleDog
05-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Message deleted.

hadawayj
06-25-2012, 07:17 AM
A cart can have the capability of going over 20mph speed limit because there are times when extra power is needed to go up hills or carry extra weight.

It's upto the driver to control the speed, just like a car can go 120 mph.

It is NOT up to the driver to control the speed. It IS the law that says a "golf cart" cannot exceed 19.8 mph. In my opinion, a "golf cart" lacks several safety items that are needed if the cart exceeds the limit. One I find dangerous is the very small tires used on some carts. When the speed is increased these tires heat up and are not suitable for sustained high speed travel. I pay dearly for my street legal GEM car and right to use roads and extra speed.

paulandjean
06-25-2012, 07:58 AM
The cops told timberline golf cart that it is illegal to go over 20mph. Not sure I believe this, cps have more important things to do. Think someone is stretching the truth here.

asianthree
06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
It will be about $150 if you get caught

2 Oldcrabs
06-26-2012, 06:07 AM
It will be about $150 if you get caught

And if you are "at fault" in an accident, you may not have insurance. Is risking you assets worth the speed?:22yikes: