PDA

View Full Version : Game Change

Taj44
08-25-2010, 06:09 AM
I just fininshed reading "Game Change" by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, two famous political reporters. Its an in-depth look at the 2008 election, and seeks to answer these questions and more - How did Obama convince himself that he could beat the odds to become the first African American President? What stopped Hillary Clinton's election bid? Why did McCain make Palin his choice for VP? Was Palin merely painfully out of her depth - or troubled in more serious ways?

It was a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the election process and the charactars involved, and is based on 100's of interviews of people who lived the story. I think it would make a great movie!

Taltarzac
08-25-2010, 07:05 AM
I just fininshed reading "Game Change" by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, two famous political reporters. Its an in-depth look at the 2008 election, and seeks to answer these questions and more - How did Obama convince himself that he could beat the odds to become the first African American President? What stopped Hillary Clinton's election bid? Why did McCain make Palin his choice for VP? Was Palin merely painfully out of her depth - or troubled in more serious ways?

It was a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the election process and the charactars involved, and is based on 100's of interviews of people who lived the story. I think it would make a great movie!

How do they make out Sarah Palin??

She seemed like a pawn on McCain's chessboard who somehow morphed into a major chess player after the election.

Taj44
08-25-2010, 09:02 AM
The book doesn't go past the election, but during the election they paint her positively at first. She was a spunky down-to-earth person who was able to connect with the conservative Republican base. But during the campaign, there was tremendous pressure on her, to bring her up to speed knowledge-wise for the media interviews and VP debate. She wasn't able to focus or learn the material, and in fact, McCain's advisors wondered if she had some mental problems.

What suprised me is the lack of vetting the campaign made to even select her. She was a last minute consideration, arriving for her first interview 36 hours before MCain was going to unveil his VP pick. (The Obama camp, on the other hand, had a process that was rigorous and methodical). McCain had Palin fill out a questionaire, upon which she managed to leave out some important facts like Troopergate, and her pregnant daughter, then interviewed her for an hour. Basically a seat-of-the-pants decision. After all her gaffs, the Couric interviews, etc., she is shown as appealing to a small group of fans, but not to the widespread group of mainstream Republicans. The implication is that McCain might have won had not Palin been on the ticket.

Avista
08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I read it too. Thought it was fascinating!