PDA

View Full Version : Any news about when the Villages' theaters will be re-opening?

Taltarzac725
12-26-2020, 10:54 AM
I see some movie theaters are open in Orange and Marion County. Any news about when the Villages' three movie theaters are re-opening?

Last movie I saw here in the Villages was The Call of the Wild. Would like to create some new memories of movie watching in the Villages. Better than getting CoVid though than having to wait just some more.

PugMom
12-26-2020, 11:04 AM
no idea, but i have heard it said it's because Hollywood is shut down. that should make no difference imo because there hasn't been a decent movie made in ages. i'd LOVE to see the old classics brought back. any showing of Chinatown is a thousands times better than the latest marvel superhero kid show remake.

EdFNJ
12-26-2020, 11:06 AM
There are virtually no movies released for theaters to show ..... so my guess is, not for a while. The few new ones that are are being released are on streaming services like HBO Now and Netflix. WW85 was decent since I already have HBO but I wouldn't have paid to see it in the theaters. Same for Midnight Sky on Netflix with George Clooney if you like movies of that genre and can figure out weird endings that were obvious if you don't fall asleep.

DeanFL
12-26-2020, 12:22 PM
There are virtually no movies released for theaters to show ..... so my guess is, not for a while. The few new ones that are are being released are on streaming services like HBO Now and Netflix. WW85 was decent since I already have HBO but I wouldn't have paid to see it in the theaters. Same for Midnight Sky on Netflix with George Clooney if you like movies of that genre and can figure out weird endings that were obvious if you don't fall asleep.
So agree re Midnight Sky. Like Clooney, but typical Hollywood type now, has to inflict personal (climate...) opinions into topic. This movie was soooo sloooow - we even f-forwarded thru the manymanymany snow etc scenes with no dialog. Turned out to be so hokey, except for the girl/gal link at the end.
Other than the TV theaters it will take a looong time for people to acclimate back, rather than a comfy home theater setting.

OrangeBlossomBaby
12-26-2020, 08:41 PM
I can understand why theatres aren't open yet. However, I'd really like to see the Spanish Springs theatre completed, so they can take down those horrible construction barriers. They really give the square a "shabby, not even a little chic" look.

Taltarzac725
12-26-2020, 09:42 PM
I can understand why theatres aren't open yet. However, I'd really like to see the Spanish Springs theatre completed, so they can take down those horrible construction barriers. They really give the square a "shabby, not even a little chic" look.

Agree with that!!!

Chi-Town
12-26-2020, 10:24 PM
So agree re Midnight Sky. Like Clooney, but typical Hollywood type now, has to inflict personal (climate...) opinions into topic. This movie was soooo sloooow - we even f-forwarded thru the manymanymany snow etc scenes with no dialog. Turned out to be so hokey, except for the girl/gal link at the end.
Other than the TV theaters it will take a looong time for people to acclimate back, rather than a comfy home theater setting.

Remember the Spoiler Alert rule.

Rwirish
12-27-2020, 05:56 AM
Yes but no one is sharing the news.

Freeda
12-27-2020, 06:02 AM
The AMC Theaters inside the Lake Square Mall in Leesburg have been open since August. We go several times a month. We have A-List memberships, allowing up to three movies per week (at any AMC, and there are AMCs at Disney Springs, Altamonte Springs, etc; and they all have the same procedures as explained below) for about $23 per month per person; so it can cost as little as $2-3 per movie depending on how much you go. The theaters all have spacious recliner seating.

Actually there have been some good new movies coming out ever since August, and the number of them is gradually increasing; and they show some good ‘oldies’.

Masks are required everywhere (even during the movie, unless you are eating - just like at a restaurant; though they are not ‘surveilling’ patrons about this once the movie starts; but, as explained below, there is very good distancing, hand-wipes, special air filtration, etc; if you go to groceries, stores or restaurants during the pandemic, you will feel as safe, or actually much safer, at the AMC; it is nothing like the crowded theater experience of the past).

They have a bar, so you can take a wine etc into the movie. Plus popcorn etc of course. They are very fastidious and have special precautions in their food handling.

The theaters there are never crowded, and seating is limited to 40% and is spaced by a computerized seating chart; seats are numbered, and each ticket bears the seat number purchased. Often we are the only or nearly the only ones in the theater. You can check the seating chart at their website to see how many seats have been sold for a given movie showing; it’s usually very few. You can buy your seats online from home; and if you have A-List the convenience fees for doing this are waived. So you can know before you go where you will be sitting, so there’s no reason to get there early in order to get your preferred seats. Plus, seating is spaced at every other seat unless you are buying multiple seats, in which case their computer system allows you to buy seats that are adjacent to each other. But the seats next to either end of you/your party are unavailable for anyone else to purchase; so no one whom you don’t know can take the seat next to your party.

I think one of the problems as to why The Villages theaters haven’t reopened may be that they have no easy way to ‘distance’ the seating, other than physically roping off seats, which makes it difficult to accommodate parties of various numbers. Plus, when they reopened during the pandemic they had to literally come into the theater and create a manual paper chart of where people were sitting so that they would know which seats had to be cleaned after each movie, rather than have to clean every seat that had been available to use; whereas, at AMC they know from their computer seating chart which seats were in use during a showing and need to be cleaned afterward.

This week several new movies, including Fatale with Hillary Swank and News of the World with Tom Hanks have started showing there. (Update: we have now seen both of these and they are both very good; I would say News of the World is Academy award quality). Another just released movie that looks good from the previews is Promising Young Woman.

We have always preferred going to the AMC theaters in Leesburg, starting several years ago, although we have gone to The Villages theaters, too, even during the brief period they reopened during the pandemic.

We like watching movies at home, too, but we both prefer them on a big screen.

The mall, itself, is also never crowded, and is great for walking in cold, rainy, or hot weather. It’s a small mall and many stores are vacant or haven’t reopened yet, but we still love going there; after all, it’s the only nearby mall; it’s become like an extension of ‘home’ to us; a refuge, especially during the pandemic.

The Belk there and some of the other stores there are very nice. The mall also has a large and very nice bowling / video game arcade / billiards / indoor go carts / sports bar/cafe entertainment complex; and a small food court.

There is also Winterland ice skating (though Winterland has still not reopened yet since closing for the pandemic; but the other entertainment areas are all open).

We often combine a trip there with eating at the Ichiban Chinese Buffet next to the mall, which we love; or one of the many other nearby restaurants.

Girlcopper
12-27-2020, 06:04 AM
Construction never has a chic look.

HeleneGB
12-27-2020, 06:12 AM
Midnight Sky is awful. Only made it thru about 30 minutes.

Miriam2940
12-27-2020, 06:52 AM
Agreed, not a good movie. Took me a moment to recognize Clooney

kcrazorbackfan
12-27-2020, 07:08 AM
Wow! People bitched about a super spreader event, OUTSIDE AT THE POLO GROUNDS, a couple of months ago and some of you are wanting to open back up enclosed movie theaters.

What applies to some doesn’t apply to others?

DrBrutyle109
12-27-2020, 07:52 AM
Yes. That’s what 8m worried about, the fact they can’t open and the barriers look shabby.

BonnieF
12-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Sounds like our life, exactly. We enjoy the theaters in Leesburg and they are less expensive the The Villages. There have been a few movies released and we enjoy the big screen experience also.

Haole boy
12-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Also the Ocala Drive in is open.

CFrance
12-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Wow! People bitched about a super spreader event, OUTSIDE AT THE POLO GROUNDS, a couple of months ago and some of you are wanting to open back up enclosed movie theaters.

What applies to some doesn’t apply to others?
Maybe it's not the same people who "bitched about a super spreader event" as the ones wanting to open the movie theaters.

Some are concerned about spreading the virus, and some are not.

PugMom
12-27-2020, 10:49 AM
thx for recommending. i had no idea :popcorn:

kathyspear
12-27-2020, 12:11 PM
Sounds like our life, exactly. We enjoy the theaters in Leesburg and they are less expensive the The Villages. There have been a few movies released and we enjoy the big screen experience also.

Less expensive than TV? We have only been to the theater in Leesburg once but it wasn't cheaper than TV. The snacks were also outrageously expensive compared to here. I like how our theaters sell little snack size bags of popcorn. Not that I can't eat a big bag but sometimes I try to be good. :)

kathy

jimjamuser
12-27-2020, 12:54 PM
I see some movie theaters are open in Orange and Marion County. Any news about when the Villages' three movie theaters are re-opening?

Last movie I saw here in the Villages was The Call of the Wild. Would like to create some new memories of movie watching in the Villages. Better than getting CoVid though than having to wait just some more.
ANYTHING inside involving people is too dangerous.

donassaid
12-27-2020, 01:41 PM
Why should theaters remain closed while airlines continue to fly? I get it that flying might be considered to be an essential industry while movies are just entertainment but airplanes put people closer together than theaters, restaurants or bars. Just saying.

jimjamuser
12-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Why should theaters remain closed while airlines continue to fly? I get it that flying might be considered to be an essential industry while movies are just entertainment but airplanes put people closer together than theaters, restaurants or bars. Just saying.
Your problem with flying is more on the ground, in the crowded indoor waiting rooms and lines. The planes themselves turn over their air rapidly and this somehow (?) keeps the spread of disease low. It may be because the high airflow filters out the droplets well.

waverly51
12-27-2020, 02:26 PM
Not true. If you look on IMDB (Internet movie database) you will see quite a few movies that are out and coming out.

Taltarzac725
12-27-2020, 04:10 PM
They were taking a lot of precautions at the Villages' theaters when I was there last. Hand sanitizers readily available, cleaning the seats between showings, spacing of people in seats, limiting number of people, etc. And very few people were going when I was there.

coffeebean
12-27-2020, 05:11 PM
Less expensive than TV? We have only been to the theater in Leesburg once but it wasn't cheaper than TV. The snacks were also outrageously expensive compared to here. I like how our theaters sell little snack size bags of popcorn. Not that I can't eat a big bag but sometimes I try to be good. :)

kathy

Pre-pandemic, the Leesburg theater offered $5 movies all day Tuesdays. Do they still offer that? If they do, that is a great deal, especially with those large recliner seats.

Freeda
12-27-2020, 10:14 PM
To the person who asked whether the Leesburg AMC still offers $5 Tuesdays, yes, I’m pretty sure they do; check at amctheaters.com. We have A-List subscriptions, so I don’t have to buy individual tickets, and so I don’t keep up with the prices any more, but I think I’ve seen the $5 Tuesdays price on their website.

Also, they have a rewards program that lets you earn free concessions and tickets.

Ramone
12-30-2020, 02:53 PM
The 3rd gen of Morse family are most likely waiting to see if Lady Lake allows them to put apartments above all in Spanish Springs.

OrangeBlossomBaby
12-30-2020, 02:58 PM
The 3rd gen of Morse family are most likely waiting to see if Lady Lake allows them to put apartments above all in Spanish Springs.

The Morse family doesn't own the movie theatres. I get that the current batch of Morse family developer people are overeager, overzealous, and overdeveloping, and turning what used to be a fun, quaint, lovely place to retire into a sprawling 3-county bustling urban back yard, and I don't like it either.

But it's important to base your feelings about things, on actual things. A connection between movie theatres in the Villages and apartments in the Villages does not exist.

charlieo1126@gmail.com
12-30-2020, 06:26 PM
I’m hoping for 4 bustling counties before I pass (82) 20 year resident and love the growth and I’ve moved along with it , Nobody Does It Better Then The Morse Family lol

FenneyFanatic
12-30-2020, 06:35 PM
:clap2::clap2::clap2:I’m hoping for 4 bustling counties before I pass (82) 20 year resident and love the growth and I’ve moved along with it , Nobody Does It Better Then The Morse Family lol

stanley
12-30-2020, 06:37 PM
The Morse family doesn't own the movie theatres.

I believe they own the buildings but not the business

SugarBear
12-30-2020, 10:48 PM
Movie theaters will go the way of jukeboxes, buggy whips and VCR players. RIP