PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on where to sell Hummels?

Dotneko
12-28-2020, 06:56 AM
We just recently moved down to TV and brought with us about 40 Hummels that we collected over the years. Does anyone know a reputable consignment shop to bring them to? I dont really want to sell them out of my garage lol.
TIA

villagetinker
12-28-2020, 09:05 AM
You can try the Antiques store at the corner of 44 and 301, Traditions Antique Mall, 352-748-6255, I have never dealt with them for sales, but have made a couple of purchases, no idea of the charge for selling your items.

Bogie Shooter
12-28-2020, 09:37 AM
We just recently moved down to TV and brought with us about 40 Hummels that we collected over the years. Does anyone know a reputable consignment shop to bring them to? I dont really want to sell them out of my garage lol.
TIA

Don't be surprised if they are worth half of what you paid for them.
Search on sold items on eBay for a reference point.

OrangeBlossomBaby
12-28-2020, 11:09 AM
Ugh I thought you were talking about the hotdogs and was going to direct you to my house. Cash in hand.

I will BUY Hummel's hotdogs! But no, not the statues. Sorry to interrupt, carry on!

retiredguy123
12-28-2020, 11:25 AM
Don't be surprised if they are worth half of what you paid for them.
Search on sold items on eBay for a reference point.
Half? I was thinking maybe 10 percent after the consignment fee.

Altavia
12-28-2020, 12:14 PM

Correct, donated mine to a womens shelter resale shop/fundraiser

kathyspear
12-28-2020, 01:32 PM
I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years and used to teach "How to Sell on eBay classes". I still use it for certain things but the fees have gone through the roof. You pay a small fee to list an item, a "final value fee" when you sell something (which can be 10% of the price), and then you pay Paypal to process the transaction. Plan on about 20% in fees. Also, when you check the listings on eBay to determine what your item might bring be sure to click the "Sold Items" box in the left hand pane. (It doesn't matter what someone is currently listing an item for, just what people have been willing to pay for one.) Keep in mind, also, that you need to package things well and schlep them to the post office or UPS. Lots of work involved in eBaying if you do it properly.

For items like yours I would definitely go with eBay because it is such a huge global marketplace. You might find some buyers who collect but are missing one or more of yours. Depending on your tax situation, you might come out about the same if you donate them and take a tax write off for what you think they are worth.

kathy

retiredguy123
12-28-2020, 01:49 PM
I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years and used to teach "How to Sell on eBay classes". I still use it for certain things but the fees have gone through the roof. You pay a small fee to list an item, a "final value fee" when you sell something (which can be 10% of the price), and then you pay Paypal to process the transaction. Plan on about 20% in fees. Also, when you check the listings on eBay to determine what your item might bring be sure to click the "Sold Items" box in the left hand pane. (It doesn't matter what someone is currently listing an item for, just what people have been willing to pay for one.) Keep in mind, also, that you need to package things well and schlep them to the post office or UPS. Lots of work involved in eBaying if you do it properly.

For items like yours I would definitely go with eBay because it is such a huge global marketplace. You might find some buyers who collect but are missing one or more of yours. Depending on your tax situation, you might come out about the same if you donate them and take a tax write off for what you think they are worth.

kathy
The only way you will come out the same by donating them is to cheat on your taxes. Legally, you are only allowed to deduct the actual market value, not what you think something is worth.

John_W
12-28-2020, 02:52 PM
TIA

I would sell them on eBay, however there are 41,000 Hummels for sale at the moment on eBay. Take a look and see what price they'll bring. Here's a link with just a general title, you can search and be more specific.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=hummels&_sacat=0

Most collectibles if in good shape and have photographs and priced right will sell within the 7 days of your listing on eBay. You could put them on auction, I always prefer a 'Buy Now' price when selling or buying on eBay. When I inherited my dad's knife collection, it was worth about $10,000 going by book value. I sold them individually in about two months and received about $5,000 in eBay sales. You'll need to get boxes and pack them good since they are breakable.

My mother had an antique store in St. Petersburg for 20 years and when she retired her and my dad sold at Renninger's in Mount Dora for 15 years. Traditions Antique Mart is in Wildwood I don't believe they would move that fast, depends on how quick you want them sold. Most of the booths there are unoccupied and they work on the honor system with customers. If you're not interested in eBay, I make a trip to Renninger's and talk to a few vendors and see what they can do on consignment, they get far more traffic and it's only 45 minutes away. If you don't want to sell on consignment, you can have operate your own booth at Renningers. On the link you'll see a box for 'become a vendor'.

Renningers Promotions (https://renningers.net/mt-dora/)

Bogie Shooter
12-28-2020, 03:00 PM

kathy

Currently , no insertion fees on first 200 listings.

John_W
12-28-2020, 03:17 PM
Currently , no insertion fees on first 200 listings.

The insertion fees weren't the problem, they're only about 35 cents to list an item. It's the final value fee and then the Paypal fee, that's what gets you. eBay will get about 10% of the sale price and Paypal will get about 10%, so if you get someone to sell on consignment for 20% you'll break even without all the work and don't even have to ship or pay for shipping. Most eBay buyers also want free shipping. I know I do, and I buy all the time on eBay.

kathyspear
12-28-2020, 07:58 PM
The insertion fees weren't the problem, they're only about 35 cents to list an item. It's the final value fee and then the Paypal fee, that's what gets you. eBay will get about 10% of the sale price and Paypal will get about 10%, so if you get someone to sell on consignment for 20% you'll break even without all the work and don't even have to ship or pay for shipping. Most eBay buyers also want free shipping. I know I do, and I buy all the time on eBay.

... and most buyers have no idea how much shipping rates have gone up the last few years!

k.

flhr95
12-29-2020, 05:44 AM
Any consignment shops for nice estate jewelry?

Jgabriele
12-29-2020, 05:46 AM
I put mine on Facebook Marketplace and sold with no problem.

Dotneko
12-29-2020, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I may make a trip to the places listed and just leave them. Many were from our parents, so anything is gravy.

cleosmum
12-29-2020, 06:40 AM
Renaissance Room in Ocala is a reputable consignment store. I’ve sold some Waterford and Lenox pieces there, and you get half of what they sell for. Better than having them collect dust! Good luck.

Paul1934
12-29-2020, 06:57 AM
We make a point of bringing a box or two of the Hummels, regular and Big Bites, WITH the skins when we come down from CT.

Girlcopper
12-29-2020, 07:50 AM
True. It would be better to sell them on your own

024engine
12-29-2020, 07:56 AM
There are very reputable shops, but Hummels aren't bringing any money.

Catalina36
12-29-2020, 08:11 AM
I am sorry to say. Hummel's are not in demand like they were in the 60's and 70's. I inherited 7 Hummel's in beautiful condition. All different about 4" to 5" tall. I sold all 7 for $50.00 on the Facebook Market Place. Not a quick sale, took about a month. Some people offered less but I would not budge. Forget selling on Ebay to costly to ship and very competitive. Good Luck

paulajr
12-29-2020, 08:44 AM
Donate them somewhere. I had a bunch before we moved that my mother collected. No one wants them anymore. Like someone said....maybe someone will want one they are missing in a collection, but mainly people are “over” them....

jimbo2012
12-29-2020, 09:09 AM
I think ebay is now 11% all in, figure cost to ship and build into price so you offer free shipping, set buy it now price and accept offers (which U can accept or reject)

badfog02554@gmail.com
12-29-2020, 09:24 AM
eBay

airstreamingypsy
12-29-2020, 09:58 AM
Join Nextdoor and selling them on their buy and sell section. Try Facebook marketplace too. Shipping fees have gotten crazy.

graciegirl
12-29-2020, 10:15 AM
There are very reputable shops, but Hummels aren't bringing any money.

They have fallen out of favor. You are correct. They are no longer sought after or wanted. They aren't worth much anymore.

However, they still have a sweet beauty. Sister Berta Hummel was a artist who really captured the sweetness and loveliness of children and others. I have a little statue of one of the original American patriots done by her and passed down. They are too lovely to discard and not valuable monetarily. These kinds of things are a real challenge to many of us. Pitch or keep.

Curtisbwp
12-29-2020, 10:59 AM
My wife has many of those.

merrymini
12-29-2020, 01:12 PM
They have gone the way of the dodo bird like dolls, model trains, lenox and wedgewood. No one wants them and selling on ebay does not make sense economically. They have almost no value.

kathleenhenn
12-29-2020, 01:17 PM
I would be interested in buying some of your hummels. Please call 469 569-0244. Kathleen

Pairadocs
12-29-2020, 01:26 PM
TIA

Seems the collector craze (I was into it too, every Christmas, anniversary, birthday, it was a new addition I would ask for) has been over for some years. I noticed most are worth LESS than hubby paid years ago. Same for the Precious Moments I collected for years. Decided I might as well just enjoy some, like my PM Christmas Village I decided to put up in total this year to improve spirits, and a few Hummels that have special memories of ski trips over seas, etc. Otherwise, to charity and hope they bring something to help others, I got my enjoyment mostly from the "adventure" of collecting from various places and locations.

DAVES
12-29-2020, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=kathyspear;1878749]I've been selling on eBay for 20+ years and used to teach "How to Sell on eBay classes". I still use it for certain things but the fees have gone through the roof. You pay a small fee to list an item, a "final value fee" when you sell something (which can be 10% of the price), and then you pay Paypal to process the transaction. Plan on about 20% in fees. Also, when you check the listings on eBay to determine what your item might bring be sure to click the "Sold Items" box in the left hand pane. (It doesn't matter what someone is currently listing an item for, just what people have been willing to pay for one.) Keep in mind, also, that you need to package things well and schlep them to the post office or UPS. Lots of work involved in eBaying if you do it properly.

I being a pack rat had a house loaded with stuff. We are talking loaded. Over a period of 2-3 years we did garage sales, ebay, metal recycling and I was on first name basis with the guy at the county dump. Each was it's own adventure.

Ebay has changed quite a bit in recent years. Most people are honest BUT. You can no longer leave negative feedback for a buyer. So as a seller a buyer that you would not want to deal with will have excellent feedback. Everyone pays with paypal. Any issue and paypal will charge the seller back and side with the buyer. At my peak, I would run 20-30 items a week. Ebay now demands your social security number. Imagine an audit
due to stuff you sold on ebay.

The original post selling Hummels. Assuming they are perfect. Someone with the same one but theirs is chipped, a small chip and the value is half or less can switch it with yours and report that yours was chipped-arrived chipped. You the seller will pay shipping both ways and get back an item worth far less than it actually was.

I've not seen it recently. People used to sell stuff for you on ebay and they would typically take half of the price it sold for.

To anyone thinking about selling on ebay, I would start small. Learn and get some feedback.

For me, I made about 50,000 in three-four years. I met some interesting people.
I had an old doorknob. I was shocked at how much people bid on it and that there are people who collect door knobs. Buying stuff. You can find almost anything on ebay.
I bought brake parts for a 1950 Schwinn. A friend helped me install them and I a year or so later when I realized we were moving I sold the bike on ebay. Time? I bet I made ten cents an hour.

As to a tax deduction. I think few people in the villages, most are retired, qualify to itemize. The standard deduction you do not get any tax deductions.

kathyspear
12-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Ebay has changed quite a bit in recent years.

As to a tax deduction. I think few people in the villages, most are retired, qualify to itemize.

One of the reasons I stopped doing eBay classes is because I was disgusted by all the changes they were making, much to the detriment of sellers.

It is still the best place for certain types of items, though -- collectibles, in particular. Commodities, not so much.

[My husband is convinced he is one of the only people in TV who still works full-time (and then some) because every time he hears about a club meeting he would like to attend it turns out to be during "normal business hours". Luckily, he loves what he does.]

k.

Nevermore
12-30-2020, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I may make a trip to the places listed and just leave them. Many were from our parents, so anything is gravy.

Got in here late. I would do eBay. Get a scale, sign up for an account at USPS. You can order free boxes or get them at the post office. I have done eBay since 1997 when I sold for my first item , a fransican rose thimble for $150. I paid $2 for it. I have sold Hummel’s for my aunt for up to $250. Yes, it does take some work, but you will get your best prices there’s

With the usps account you can calculate postage,(at a discount), then you can print out a shipping label.

Holpat39
12-31-2020, 04:27 PM
You can ask at any one of the consignment shops near The Villages. Usually you will receive 60% of the sale price with shop getting 40% but in some places they have raised to 50/50. Google consignment shops near The Village zip code. Several in Ocala, Almost Perfect on north 441 and Bargains & Treasures on 466 just east of 301. Good luck since they have lost quite a bit of their value. I collect Lladro from Spain and now you can get them on e-bay for about 75% off the retail price.

Topspinmo
01-01-2021, 04:29 PM
TIA

Are those same as decanters? If so, I use to collect Jim beam Hummels?

George Jones-The King Is Gone - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc08gY8wfVc)

charlieo1126@gmail.com
01-01-2021, 10:10 PM
I’m sure you’ll do well selling them where ever you choose , I’ll bet you’ll be able to get as much as beanie babies are selling for