PDA

View Full Version : softball help

radar
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi everyone, hope someone can help we will be arriving this monday 6th,i use to play a lot of ball but its been approximately 20yrs since i swung a bat.i am retired now and really want to get very involved again we hope we like what we see and decide to move to ur great location we will be staying at creekside for 6 days is it possible for me to practice with someone while i am there,if anyone can help i would appreciate it very much. ThANKS. RJ

Tom Hannon
09-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I have the same phonia as you Radar. I also played softball into my early 40's but I hung em up after I couldn't keep up with the competition which was sometimes 20 years younger. My arm wasn't what it used to be and I had lost a step or two. I never dreamed of playing again, but although not yet in my house until next week, my Pee wee Reese glove has already been shipped, waiting for me to come out of retirement. Before I go on the field and embarrase myself, I'd like to test the water to make sure I have something left. I'd love to practice with someone...maybe field grounder and shag playballs etc but I won't be in Buttonwood for any length of time until early next year.

Kelsie52
09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Gentlemen --I think we are all in the same boat --I played until I was 44--58 now --afraid to throw from second to the short lol --

You can read the rec news and it gives you the days for tryouts and practices --I think we will find lots of chances to tell our stories ..

:MOJE_whot::a040:

getdul981
09-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I haven't played since high school or at least my mid twenties. I've told my wife that I would like to try again when we get there, but she's not too keen on the idea. We'll have to see how it goes.

radar
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks i believe i can pick back up and have a good time,just have to get out there and see,someone left me a private message to call but my phone would not let me get ur phone# my e- mail is kninelegend@yahoo.com i can give my# or u can leave your# thanks rj

Bosoxfan
09-02-2010, 09:53 PM
IHi guys.I played softball in the villages last winter.I can tell you there are open practices almost every weekday.Usually they were in the afternoons @ either the sadlebrook or buffalo glen fields.The fall season starts next week so if you go to the fields and ask around the guys there will direct you.The fields are used in the mornings for leagues but the afternoons are for the open practices.Open practices are for anyone that want to take some swings and shag some balls while others are hitting.Oh ,Sunday mornings from dawn to about noon there's an open practice at Saddlebrook.Any thing else I can do let me know.I'll be back in the villages on the 13 th.Good luck guys & have fun!!!

Bosoxfan
09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I haven't played since high school or at least my mid twenties. I've told my wife that I would like to try again when we get there, but she's not too keen on the idea. We'll have to see how it goes. If this helps tell your wife that safety and staying healthy is a major deal in The Villages Softball program.First off if you want to play in one of the many teams ,over 500 ,you have to go through 3 evaluations so you will end up playing with folks in your skill level.They take the contact & sliding out of all but the top level leagues.There are 5 levels.One thru five with one being the top level.They do it right.

BlueHeronFan
09-03-2010, 07:39 AM
It was 30+ years between games for me. The first thing you will find is that there really is rust in the human body. The next thing is that when muscles are being used in a way that they haven't in a very long time......even when you thing you are stretching out, they hurt for days afterwards.

Good news is that you won't be alone. Also, the rust goes away, you get your timing back, and finally you will find that those muscles aren't sore very much anymore.

It takes about one season of regular playing, plus or minus a few games. Then you will have your groove back.

One other thing. Be prepared to see the ladies play much better, and stock up on motrin..

Good Luck.

getdul981
09-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks, I'll let her know.

BarryB
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Radar I post this reply to your same question last week

In order to play softball you must be evaluated. Evaluations are held Tuesdays at 7:30 AM at the Buffalo Glenn sports complex. You need 3 sessions to complete the process. You will then placed in a division according to your ability rather than an age group. Next season starts in most divisions the 1st week of September. A season lasts approx 3 months then a month off before next season

LittleDog
09-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I played softball for one season here and decided not to continue as there were other things I was more interested in. I purchased a left handers fielders glove for $75 which I now want to sell. In all the years of playing ball I believe this was the best glove I ever owned. Just wanted to throw this out in case any of you left handers are looking for a good cheap glove.

John

radar
09-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone i understand about the evaluation i think it is a great deal,i just hope to meet someone to practice with to see if i am able to still play if i feel good about it i am sure we will start house hunting rj

Tom Hannon
09-04-2010, 03:48 AM
If you are still rady to try practicing, i am up to it but it is fgoing to have to wait until I'm in the Villages in Jan.

grayesun
09-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I played softball for one season here and decided not to continue as there were other things I was more interested in. I purchased a left handers fielders glove for $75 which I now want to sell. In all the years of playing ball I believe this was the best glove I ever owned. Just wanted to throw this out in case any of you left handers are looking for a good cheap glove.

John

Hi John...

Seeing mine is about 45 years old and rapidly approaching retirement age...so probably should investigate a newer model. Send me info on where I can check out your "meat-rags".

Thanks

cglenhar
09-26-2010, 06:02 PM
What do we have to know to start playing softball? When are try outs? When does the season begin? If the season has started can you still get involved? What about practices (rust being a real concern).

elevatorman
09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Evaluations are every Tuesday at 7:30. You must do 3 evaluations then you are placed at a level of between 1 and 5. The evaluations are a good way to knock the rust off. At the evaluations you will also find out about different open practices. All you need to do is bring a glove and show up. Bats and balls are supplied. If it is the middle of the season you can be a sub at your level of play. I think this season is in its 3rd week.

Bosoxfan
09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
What do we have to know to start playing softball? When are try outs? When does the season begin? If the season has started can you still get involved? What about practices (rust being a real concern).

There are evaluations on tuesday mornings.The first time you go you should be there(Buffalo Glenn) for 7:30 a.m. so you can fill out all the appropriate paperwork.You need to go to three evaluations within a year.These evaluations are required to play in any league in the villages.You'll be evaluated on your skills and put in the division that matches your abilities.The division are 1 to 5 with 1 being the most skilled.Fall season started the week after labor day so it's too late to be drafted but you can still sub in your division.This time of year subs are needed quite often.This will give the people you're playing with an idea of your skilss for the upcoming winter season.The draft for the winter season I believe is sometime around Christmas.Open practices occur almost daily usually around 1 in the afternoon at saddle brook fields.These practices are for anyone ,even if you haven't been evaluated yet.Show up and have some fun these practices are real casual.You'll also find out alot about the guys & gals playing this wonderful sport.Have fun & if there's any other questions you need answered don't hesitate to ask.

Bosoxfan
09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
:sigh:

TJ CHICAGO
10-17-2010, 05:26 AM
I play softball in Chicago and in June had my softball evaluation. I was rated as a 1. I bought a house in the Village of Hemingway and rented it from January thru May. My wife & I will be staying in the Villages for the next 6 months. We will arrive on November 1. How do I get assign to a softball team?

LittleDog
10-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Greysun - You can call me at 430-2076. Thanx

John

Bosoxfan
10-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I play softball in Chicago and in June had my softball evaluation. I was rated as a 1. I bought a house in the Village of Hemingway and rented it from January thru May. My wife & I will be staying in the Villages for the next 6 months. We will arrive on November 1. How do I get assign to a softball team?

There are evaluations on tuesday mornings.The first time you go you should be there(Buffalo Glenn) for 7:30 a.m. so you can fill out all the appropriate paperwork.You need to go to three evaluations within a year.These evaluations are required to play in any league in the villages.You'll be evaluated on your skills and put in the division that matches your abilities.The division are 1 to 5 with 1 being the most skilled.If you get your evals done right away you'll be able to sign up for sub during the fall season.The winter season starts after christmas

chuckinca
10-17-2010, 12:04 PM
About how much time is involved in being on a softball team? Number of weekly games, number and duration of practices, etc.

Thanks

BlueHeronFan
10-18-2010, 06:54 AM
About how much time is involved in being on a softball team? Number of weekly games, number and duration of practices, etc.

Thanks

If you just want to play on a neighborhood team, then it is just Saturday's.

Recreation League will be about 2 days during the week. Days depend on the Division.

If you just want to substitute, then it's when you decide to sign in to sub, though you might not get to play on certain times as subs are picked based on a lottery type selection. Depends on game, time of game, and time of year.