PDA

View Full Version : Tim Dorsey is the best

Baltimore Guy
09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I like Carl Hiaasen "BUT" Tim Dorsey is the best, if you like funny books about Florida read his.:read:

mulligan
09-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Now there is an author I would go out of my way to meet. I'll bet he is a riot to talk to !!

Linwood
09-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Having read nearly all his books, I find Serge's inventive nature funny, though twisted, like how many ways can you kill someone?

I laugh my self silly every time I read one.

Pure escape fiction!

BritParrothead
09-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I have to agree. :agree: I do have a soft spot for Serge :icon_wink:
I have just finished Gator A Go Go. AND, dont you just love Coleman ??
I have read every book except Sting Ray Shuffle. Have had trouble getting that one, but Amazon have come up trumps, again :coolsmiley:

Taltarzac
09-07-2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LFX77FnmE

Boomer
09-11-2010, 08:26 AM
I like Carl Hiaasen "BUT" Tim Dorsey is the best, if you like funny books about Florida read his.:read:

Hey! Baltimore Guy! You better be takin' that back! :boxing2: (wink)

Actually, I am giving Tim Dorsey another try.

A while back, I started reading Tim Dorsey’s Hammerhead Ranch Motel. I think that was the one anyway. Early in the book there is a scene on Tampa Bay’s Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Now, I must admit – the Sunshine Skyway Bridge makes me act like a lunatic. Mr. Boomer has always done the driving across that waaaaay-up eternal span. That gives me the opportunity to crawl into the backseat where I hunker down, close my eyes tight, whisper prayers, both Catholic and Protestant (long story) and punctuate those prayers by screaming blood-curdling screams, until we have made it across. (Hey, maybe I could write a book about my angst and title it Hunker, Pray, Scream) -- but I digress. Back to Dorsey......

Well, I actually got through Dorsey’s bridge scene OK, but then I abandoned the book after a few more chapters. (I think I gave it to my son-in-law who loves Dorsey’s books.) Dorsey and I just were not clicking like I do with Carl. I think Dorsey might be even darker in his humor than Carl and sometimes I can be quite the delicate flower if things get really gruesome or whatever. It’s a fine-line with me I guess.

But when I read this thread, I walked over to my bookshelf where I found a copy of Orange Crush that I had bought but not read. I have been carrying it with me lately to read a few pages here and there, like when I have to wait for an appointment or when I am at the hairdresser waiting for my roots to process.

I am giving Tim Dorsey another chance. So if you see me start referring to him as Tim, you will know that I have turned fickle.

Boomer

BBQMan
10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Based upon on Roadkill, Tim Dorsey with his primary characters - Serge and Coleman - was not for me. It was too dark and contained too many outlandish characters for my taste. If you want FL novelists, I recommend Carl Hiaasen, Lawrence Sanders and above all, John D. MacDonald. MacDonald's Travis McGee series has the same General view of Florida characters as Dorsey, but drawn with a light touch, inviting the reader to come and laugh with his protagonist. He wrote a number of novels other than the Travis McGee series, but I recommend 'Condominium' to anyone.

BritParrothead
10-13-2010, 04:36 PM
My copy of Condominum fell apart!! It was so well read! I read it foer the firts time while staying in a 12 floor condo on Marco Island in the early '90's. I precide the book for my sons, and each night they would walk round and check the footings :):)

KayakerNC
10-14-2010, 07:15 AM
If you want FL novelists, I recommend Carl Hiaasen, Lawrence Sanders and above all, John D. MacDonald. MacDonald's Travis McGee series has the same General view of Florida characters as Dorsey, but drawn with a light touch, inviting the reader to come and laugh with his protagonist. He wrote a number of novels other than the Travis McGee series, but I recommend 'Condominium' to anyone.
I'd throw in James T Hall's books for anybody into the Florida genre.:thumbup:
I love Dorsey's books, but his habit of jumping back and forth in the time-line can be a little confusing when starting a new chapter.
That said, yes, John D MacDonald is the master. Deadly Shade of Gold is probably my favorite Travis book.

BritParrothead
10-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I love Travis McGee!! Does anyone remember the name of the guy (An Aussie, I think) who played him in the few films based on the books??
I think Burt Reynolds would have made a great Travis :beer3: Scarlet Rouse was on my favourites!

BowleesCreekYachtClub
10-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't say that Dorsey is best - he's a lot of fun and a great read. If you are into the Florida genre then a great story, based on a real person, is Matthiessen's "Killing Mr Watson". After you have read it take a drive down to Everglades City and then out to the old post office (now a museum) on Chokoloskee Island and you can page through the photo album and see pictures of all the characters in the book - really cool. Another great Florida writer is Randy Wayne White with the Doc Ford novels - they are all good but "The Man Who Invented Florida" is in my opinion the best. On your way to Chokoloskee stop off at Sanibel Island at Doc Fords Bar & Grill - White spends time there writing. I appreciate being told about James T. Hall - I'll pick up a couple of his books next time I am at the library. And . . . more a Caribbean genre but I did like the characters in Buffett's "A salty piece of land".