PDA

View Full Version : A question for those who still mow their own grass.

billethkid
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I am in the market for a lawn mower and want a self propelled. I have read pros and cons about the choices of front wheel or rear wheel drive.
I know from my past that front wheel drive seems the most practical being able to rock the mower back on the rear wheels when meneuvering.

Can anybody speak to the advantages of rear wheel drive (or not).

btk

BlueHeronFan
09-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I prefer the front wheel self propelled. I have used the rear wheel self propelled in the past and it just never felt comfortable to me having to disengage each time I wanted to make a turn.

btw, I also do not like the large rear wheels, as I have found they have a tendency to make the mower bounce. Had one, and gave it away to the buyers of our old home.

Ooper
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I can't think of any reason why a rear wheel drive mower would have any advantage. You are right about tipping the mower on it's rear wheels. But today's mowers usually have some type of drive handle on the push bar to easily disengage the drive wheels for easy back-up.

memason
09-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I've had both and prefer the rear drive. I always found the front drive to not track as true as the rear drive. I always had a hard time mowing a straight line and seemed to always be adjusting direction. Finally sold the front drive and went back to rear.

Probably just me.... :shrug:

elevatorman
09-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a "Toro Personal Pace". It is a rear wheel drive, when you push the handle it moves forward. When you stop pushing the handle the mower stops moving forward. Works well for me

mrdills
09-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I have owned Troy-Bilt self-propelled lawn mowers my entire life and I think they are the best. The one I own currently is a front wheel with large wheels on the back and a front wheel drive. I think its the best one I have ever had.

Bogie Shooter
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I've had both and prefer the rear drive. I always found the front drive to not track as true as the rear drive. I always had a hard time mowing a straight line and seemed to always be adjusting direction. Finally sold the front drive and went back to rear.

Man, you are supposed to drink the beer after not before you do your mowing!:beer3:

Pturner
09-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Don't drink and mow.

philnpat
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
I second the recommendation of the Toro "Personal Pace" by Elevatorman. I've owned 2 and they worked great. They go at the speed of your pace and freewheel when you back up. They are rear wheel drive. They come with a steel or a cast aluminum deck. I prefer the cast aluminum. The 6.5 HP Techumsa engine is GTS. (guaranteed to start). It's a rear ****** or can be used as a mulcher also. It was a pleasure to use! (almost) :p

nussbaum
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I agree the Toro personal pace is the best. I had been mowing for 40 years and have had many brands prior to moving here. It always, and I mean always started on the first pull x 5 years. Kinda miss not mowing in TV, but not enough to spend money on another mower.

rjm1cc
09-07-2010, 05:56 PM
If you have a small yard you might like an electric. I had one that ran on a battery so no cord. Problem is you have to replace the battery every couple of years but it is nice and quite and you can listen to music etc as you cut the grass.

memason
09-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Man, you are supposed to drink the beer after not before you do your mowing!:beer3:

Hmmmm.... Bogie, Never occurred to me that drinking beer before or during mowing could be a problem :a20:

Cheers!

chuckinca
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Never knew there was a time when drinking a beer wasn't allowed.

johnfarr
09-08-2010, 05:29 AM
This dealer does a great job with sales and service. Just east of the SE corner of US 301 & Hwy 44:

BUCHALLA SMALL ENGINE
4530 SE 110TH STREET
BELLEVIEW FL
US 34420
Phone: (352) 347-2112

faithfulfrank
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Just thought I'd comment on the Troy-bilt line. Be advised that Troy-bilt, Yardman, Cub Cadet, Bolens, etc are all names that used to be known for good quality.
A few years ago, these companies were bought out by MTD company. MTD still uses these names, but in my humble opinion since MTD took over the naming rights the quality of the MTD lines are lower then what was offered years before.
MTD knows that there are many folks who remember "Dad's Troy-bilt" was awesome, so that is what I'm going to buy......those new buyers I believe will be disappointed.

Also, unless you ar handy with small engine repair, etc, it is wise to spend a bit more...(or even the same price or lower!) and buy from a local dealer. Believe me, he should appreciate the business and if you need service down the road on your mower, you can be sure he is going to fix yours before the ones that were bought at a "big box" store.......and those Toro's are nice. I believe in "Cry once when you buy it, then be happy for years". Quality costs more up front sometimes, but is the better long term buy.

Frank

Chopper
09-08-2010, 09:50 AM
faithfulfrank, I'm with you on buying better quality products. Ten years ago I purchased a John Deere walk behind mower that was over $800 even back then. I have used it and abused it for 10 years and it's like a Timex watch that keeps on tickin' and takes a lickin'. Before buying the John Deere I probably went through a dozen mowers over the years.

I must confess that I recently purchased a Troy-Bilt string trimmer and edger attachment from Lowe's. I don't know how it will hold up over several years, but it certainly won't receive the abuse that it would have at our prior home.

jebartle
09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
faithfulfrank, I'm with you on buying better quality products. Ten years ago I purchased a John Deere walk behind mower that was over $800 even back then. I have used it and abused it for 10 years and it's like a Timex watch that keeps on tickin' and takes a lickin'. Before buying the John Deere I probably went through a dozen mowers over the years.

I must confess that I recently purchased a Troy-Bilt string trimmer and edger attachment from Lowe's. I don't know how it will hold up over several years, but it certainly won't receive the abuse that it would have at our prior home.

We also have a John Deere walk-behind with catcher and love it, may be a little more but it's worth it....This yard has never looked better...When we had yard service, they raced through our yard and would make sudden turns that dug up our yard....Amazing improvement and really no big deal when you get a self propelled....And the icing on the cake, my Stihl edger..:clap2: