PDA

View Full Version : grass clippings

Gerald
09-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Ok I am not really up on my lawn stuff.
My question is if I do my own lawn cutting what do you do with the clippings. Some states want you to leave it in place some want you to hall it away. What is the village rule?

Chopper
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
We live in the Village of St. Charles. Our scheduled day for picking up lawn clippings and other types of lawn vegetation is Wednesday. Your day may be different depending on where you live.

2newyorkers
09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Your grass clippings have to be put in a big paper bag that they sell at Ace, Home Depot, Publix, etc. In my village, the recycle day for yard clippings is Wednesday.

philnpat
09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
IMO mulching is the way to go. Make sure your mower is equipped with a mulching blade. Leaving the clippings on the lawn enriches the soil and keeps the roots cooler. The mulched clippings are so fine that they are not visable.

Mikitv
10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
We were in Ark for 10 years with Bermuda grass, same heat there as here and never picked up our clippings. The mulcing mower did the trick and lawn looked great. We are doing same here.

otherbruddaDarrell
10-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I remember the time I used to have a rear ****** and was going to put the clippings by the curb. What a P.I.T.A. that was! I decided to get rid of the ****** and get a mulcher and that was the best move I made........up to this point...................now I do not have a lawn to contend with in our CYV.

784caroline
10-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree Mulching is the best BUT REMEMBER...you need to cut your lawn probably every 7 days. You cannot let it get overgrown or that will result in big time tatch which is another problem. You also have to have the right blade (Mulching) on your individual lawn mower...not all blades are created equal !!!

Larryandlinda
10-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree Mulching is the best BUT REMEMBER...you need to cut your lawn probably every 7 days. You cannot let it get overgrown or that will result in big time tatch which is another problem. You also have to have the right blade (Mulching) on your individual lawn mower...not all blades are created equal !!!
:agree:
we leave our lawns in TVand the six acres in Md as long as the law allows , maybe around three to six inches in Md, sometimes going to 8 or 10
In TV 'that' growth the authorities like to max us out at about 4 or 5.
And we have not been slaves to bagging clippings for over 20 years

If you can handle it and are sure 'they' will compost it, fine, but it certainly does not belong in plastic bags in landfill there isn't much that 'belongs' in landfill

In fact, 'there is no away'

Check this out
http://www.astc.org/exhibitions/rotten/away.htm

Read and weep

L and L