PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment at the squares...

memason
09-21-2010, 07:42 AM
We have been cruising he squares this week and I have been a little disappointed at the entertainment. I know they can't have the Eagles playing every night, but it seems some of the entertainment is, well, not so good. A one man band, playing piano to a sound track is not really my idea of entertainment and from the sparse attendance (LSL) I don't believe I'm alone in this thinking.

What's the general consensus on the entertainment? Do any residents participate on the entertainment committee?

redwitch
09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
One thing to remember is that the "better" band will be at the square where it is market night (M/W is Spanish Springs; T/T is LSL) -- they want people to buy from the merchants and need good entertainment to draw them in. Weekends usually have decent groups at both squares. I don't think there is an entertainment committee, but won't swear to it.

I'm assuming you went to LSL Monday night. Besides it being market night at SS, Savannah Center had something going on as well. This is also factored into who plays where.

Another thing to consider checking out is the Church on the Square. They have a lovely variety of events from classical to jazz to folk, some free or very low priced on Sundays.

That is one of the several advantages of TV -- if you don't like what's happening in one spot, you can go to another and find something enjoyable. My favorite band, Shepherd's Pie, only plays at Katie Belle's (and usually only once a month sigh).

K9-Lovers
09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
I find it amazing that there is so much live entertainment within TV EVERY DAY! At both squares, at Church on the Square, at Katie Bell's, inside several restaurants, at the country clubs, etc., etc., etc.,

And, there is music to fit everyone's likings. I appreciate the abundent variety.

Regor
09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
What is going to happen when The Villages is sold out? The powers that be, won't need to have free entertainment to draw new home buyers here. 3 vacant squares!

Ooper
09-21-2010, 10:04 AM
That ain't gonna happen! The entertainment is funded by the merchants at the squares, not the developer. The merchants pay for the entertainment to bring customers to the squares to visit their stores, not to buy houses!

bike42
09-21-2010, 10:30 AM
What is going to happen when The Villages is sold out? The powers that be, won't need to have free entertainment to draw new home buyers here. 3 vacant squares!

The Villages is not an ordinary development where selling the last house means the developers pack up and leave. Even when all of the villages are built and self-governed, the developers will have a major presence because THEY OWN ALL OF THE COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES. This guarantees a huge income stream from commercial leases forever, provided they keep everything wonderful. Happy residents are happy consumers. The developers' best interests are our best interests; that's why we're here.

mulligan
09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
IMHO the other 2 factors that come into play are the fact that the "family" actually lives here, and they own the liquor distributor that all those bars buy from. There has to be a huge revenue stream from booze alone!!

Ohiogirl
09-21-2010, 11:33 AM
HmmM, that (Morse family owns liquor distributor) must be the reason there isn't much variety of draft beer available. Would be nice to see a couple of microbrews on tap. Hope they see this post :)

Back to entertainment. I mentioned before that there is a new brass band starting up (actually started last year) that will be performing occasionally. Not at the squares, although the concert style music they mostly play would be a perfect match (IMO anyway) for Church on the Square in the future (hymns, marches, classical, some pop (Beatles song "When I'm 64" might be their signature song, not sure). First concert date is set to be Monday, November 15th, venue to be determined.

Band is called Celebration Brass Band. British style brass band. They are still looking for a few good brass players and percussion. This is high level playing, so they will likely audition in some form when adding additional members. Ohioboy plays cornet and was/still is involved with a champion level brass band in Columbus. He is thrilled about playing at a similar level down here.

PM me if you think you may be interested and I can put you in touch with the organizers. They are rehearsing on Monday nights. Probably you could first sit in on a rehearsal if you are wondering if you might fit in.

Pturner
09-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Memason,

I agree that the free music on the squares is hit and miss. If we're in the mood to go to the square on an evening when neither square features a notable performer, we'll usually go to SS. The talented regular line-dancers there are a joy to watch, even if the music is just so-so.

zcaveman
09-21-2010, 11:53 AM
HmmM, that (Morse family owns liquor distributor) must be the reason there isn't much variety of draft beer available. Would be nice to see a couple of microbrews on tap. Hope they see this post :)

The Morse family own Kindred Spirits - not the other distributors.

The refreshment kiosk areas in the squares have little room to have a lot of variety. And I suspect that there is not a great demand (or requests) for the microbrews in the other establishments. When the Villages had their own brewery in SS, only the Villages owned establishments carried their microbrews.

The refreshment kiosk areas in the squares have little room to have a lot of variety. And I suspect that there is not a great demand (or requests) for the microbrews in the other establishments. When the Villages had their own brewery in SS, only the Villages owned establishments carried the microbrews.

Now I will hear from the four or five microbrew drinkers on TOTV about the demand. Personally I am a Budweiser drinker - the red, white and blue can. No lite or substitutes allowed. :beer3:

NJblue
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
That ain't gonna happen! The entertainment is funded by the merchants at the squares, not the developer. The merchants pay for the entertainment to bring customers to the squares to visit their stores, not to buy houses!

While the essence of this post is correct, I don't believe that it is factually correct. I believe that the developer does pay for the entertainment and as such controls the entertainment organization which books the entertainment. However, since the entertainment draws the crowds, the merchants are willing to pay more for the rent and hence they are indirectly paying for the entertainment. The developer is motivated to have good entertainment for two reasons: get higher rents from his commercial establishments and to attract new buyers for his houses. Once buildout is achieved, only the higher rent factor will provide any monetary motivation.

mulligan
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
When I mentioned liquor distributors previously, I was not referring to retail outlets, but to THE wholesaler.

Spectreron
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Are you sure the builder is making enough $$ from these businesses. I see the potential for a catastrophe when buildout is achieved. I want to buy but buildout consequences scare the #### out of me.

golfnut
09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
I believe the merchants pay for the entertainment in the squares, not the developer, what does gmoney think???....gn

mulligan
09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
I really believe that the builder is comitted to building a self-sustaining quality community, and is making some serious money in the process. I personally feel that the family is brilliant, and wouldn,t do anything to even make the golden goose even a little nervous. Having been involved with several developments in South Florida, I feel that the quality of construction, and the quality of life are both there, and won't go away in my lifetime.

golf2140
09-21-2010, 03:31 PM
The family has a big stake in the community and that will continue after build-out.

memason
09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Are you sure the builder is making enough $$ from these businesses. I see the potential for a catastrophe when buildout is achieved. I want to buy but buildout consequences scare the #### out of me.

The irony is, NOT building out would scare the hell out of me! I've lived in a subdivision that died, due to the economic downturn....builders went out of business and the developer went bankrupt. Residents ended up with "special assessments" to maintain the common areas....nothing you could do but pay or they would put a lien on your home. Opportunity came for me to move to Germany and a nice buyout from my company...I was outta there!

Anyway, back to entertainment. Please understand, I think the entertainment in the squares is the coolest thing ever. It's one of the things that makes TV, TV. I'm hoping we can move from early 60's to the 70's soon. :)

Tom Hannon
09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
The Schwartz/Moorse family have become legends. When Levitt built houses on Long Island he became part of history. The Schwatz/Moorse family have done what Levitt had done ten times over. I believe they have more than enough $$$ and I doubt they would tarnish and destroy all they accomplished and walk away from a Miracle. This is their child and a parent would never walk away from their child.

thistrucksforyou
09-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Back to entertainment. I mentioned before that there is a new brass band starting up (actually started last year) that will be performing occasionally. Not at the squares, although the concert style music they mostly play would be a perfect match (IMO anyway) for Church on the Square in the future (hymns, marches, classical, some pop (Beatles song "When I'm 64" might be their signature song, not sure). First concert date is set to be Monday, November 15th, venue to be determined.

Band is called Celebration Brass Band. British style brass band. They are still looking for a few good brass players and percussion. This is high level playing, so they will likely audition in some form when adding additional members. Ohioboy plays cornet and was/still is involved with a champion level brass band in Columbus. He is thrilled about playing at a similar level down here.

PM me if you think you may be interested and I can put you in touch with the organizers. They are rehearsing on Monday nights. Probably you could first sit in on a rehearsal if you are wondering if you might fit in.
Buisness can servive with your support...There was a micro brewry there at Augustines, but apparently there was not enough people supporting it so it went to the wayside....Like voting ,support your local buisness...

Russ_Boston
09-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Z - I thought you said you like beer - but then you mentioned Budweiser. Can't have it both ways:)

Shimpy
09-21-2010, 06:46 PM
The best entertainment in the squares, which also draws the most people, is at the same night as venders. It is also the time where there is the least parking because after the venders set up they block all parking spaces near the square. Can't the venders set up and then park somewhere else? Most businesses require employees to park at the far end of the parking lot so the customers can park near. Actually once you've seen all the vendors its always the same. We usually will go to a square that doesn't have vendors that night.

Regor
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I may be wrong, hopefully I am. But I think the developer is in the business for one reason and one reason only---Make money! Who said that the business's pay for the entertainment? There aren't enough around Spanish Springs to pay the bill. I don't think the Morse family gives a royal squat what happens here, once it is built out. All this discussion about the liquor stores and selling booze on the square, it's nothing compared to selling 400K houses. Anyone that buys here and thinks this utopia will go on forever, should wake up! What about the championship courses, do you really think the developer will really stay in the golf business once there are no more houses to build? You just can't make millions owning golf courses that charge less that $150 per play.

zcaveman
09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Z - I thought you said you like beer - but then you mentioned Budweiser. Can't have it both ways:)

OOOh that hurts!!!! But to me there is beer and there is skunk water. There are very few beers that I will drink other than Bud. I will go thirsty first - unless there is some Boone's Farm Apple or Red Ripple!!! :a20:

Russ_Boston
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Exactly Z - Didn't realize you cared for skunk water.

At least I know what to get for your birthday!

memason
09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
I may be wrong, hopefully I am. But I think the developer is in the business for one reason and one reason only---Make money! Who said that the business's pay for the entertainment? There aren't enough around Spanish Springs to pay the bill. I don't think the Morse family gives a royal squat what happens here, once it is built out. All this discussion about the liquor stores and selling booze on the square, it's nothing compared to selling 400K houses. Anyone that buys here and thinks this utopia will go on forever, should wake up! What about the championship courses, do you really think the developer will really stay in the golf business once there are no more houses to build? You just can't make millions owning golf courses that charge less that $150 per play.

WOW.... Where did that come from???

As for the Morse family and TV.... I believe the phrase "Leaving a Legacy" has some relevance here.

Don't know..... Just saying.

Russ_Boston
09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
You just can't make millions owning golf courses that charge less that $150 per play.

As a golfer I can tell you that thousands of courses around the country survive (or even thrive) on greens fees of far less. I don't know the exact amount of profit but who says that a golf course has to clear 'millions' to be successful?

Ooper
09-22-2010, 11:17 AM

I'm kinda wondering why you moved here with your prophecy of doom and gloom!

redwitch
09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I think Harold Schwartz cared about leaving a legacy. I'm not convinced Gary Morse and his siblings do. However, I do believe the music in the squares will continue. The Morses do have a vested interest to keep the squares active long after the build out. They own the storefronts. If the stores don't make money, they don't make money. Also, remember that a direct percentage of profits goes directly into a fund for entertainment. Another factor is the resale market. Even when all of TV is built, people will die; people will move. I can't imagine the Morses not wanting a piece of that pie and it will be a BIG piece. So, regardless of buildout, there are some very good reasons for the Morses to keep things going, especially healthy town squares.

BTW -- One fact that few people are aware of is that the Morses pretty much fund the entertainment at the Church on the Squares. Whenever there out out-of-town entertainers, they are put up gratis in the cottages and rentals; their food is free. They subsidize the cost of the entertainment -- most of the ticket costs are used to pay for facility clean up, etc. So, maybe I'm totally wrong and legacy does matter to them.

bkcunningham1
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I believe in the free enterprise system. If the Morse family pull up roots and leave their capital genius, so be it. They aren't printing monies that aren't already being supplied by the residents of TV. They just knew how to use the system to the advantage of their own families, some 80,000 residents, numerous merchants and the population of outlying areas.

IMHO, the CDDs or special form of governement will work as they were established to work. With the genius we've all experienced on this forum in the way of individuals, life experiences and ideas; I have faith we can work through the worst case scenario.

zcaveman
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I believe in the free enterprise system. If the Morse family pull up roots and leave their capital genius, so be it. They aren't printing monies that aren't already being supplied by the residents of TV. They just knew how to use the system to the advantage of their own families, some 80,000 residents, numerous merchants and the population of outlying areas.

IMHO, the CDDs or special form of governement will work as they were established to work. With the genius we've all experienced on this forum in the way of individuals, life experiences and ideas; I have faith we can work through the worst case scenario.

I agree. But I doubt if the Morse family will leave the area, This is a golden cow and no matter what they do they will make money. When the build out is complete they will have their fingers in so many pies that they won't be able to keep track of their income without a family of accountants.

They or their future dependents will be here long after I am gone. And I am a frog and I am not planning on leaving soon. Good Lord willing.

Larryandlinda
09-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I agree. But I doubt if the Morse family will leave the area, This is a golden cow and no matter what they do they will make money. When the build out is complete they will have their fingers in so many pies that they won't be able to keep track of their income without a family of accountants.

They or their future dependents will be here long after I am gone. And I am a frog and I am not planning on leaving soon. Good Lord willing.

Well, if they do move.......
GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS

GOOD NEWS
that will open up a nice central space for another 50,000 homes!

BAD NEWS
We'll haver to watch polo matches somewhere else
:laugh:

L and L

rustyp
09-23-2010, 06:30 AM
We have been cruising he squares this week and I have been a little disappointed at the entertainment. I know they can't have the Eagles playing every night, but it seems some of the entertainment is, well, not so good. A one man band, playing piano to a sound track is not really my idea of entertainment and from the sparse attendance (LSL) I don't believe I'm alone in this thinking.

What's the general consensus on the entertainment? Do any residents participate on the entertainment committee?

Amazing - the question was about the QUALITY of the entertainment (I think). So far I have not seen 1 reply directed at how you feel about the quality. As usual 90% of the replies are directed at the Morse family and what will happen when the build out is completed. I am very appreciative of the music at the squares. It is one of the main attractions that drew me to living in The Villages. Now my answer to the question - I find the entertainment of mixed quality from bad to excellent. What I have noticed is the same entertainers rotate through the month in general. I do believe there maybe some formula for who on what nights tied to market nights. I wish there was more new entertainers but that maybe a tough thing to do given 2 town squares and entertainment 365 evenings per year plus other special daytime events. What I have noticed is my taste in music is not what the average Villager seems to enjoy. I like the groups that play live with a minimum of pre-programed background. I appreciate the musical talent. There is also many talented singers in some of the groups with great voices. I have noticed there seems to be the biggest crowds when the group playing sticks to most popular line dancing songs that are taught in the classes in The Villages. In fact some of the most popular groups do not play music themselves but are of the DJ type venue. I do get tired of hearing the same old songs over and over even through the same evening. Don't know how to please everyone but I for one want to thank the Morse family and our regular musicians for many an enjoyable evening.

Challenger
09-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I am a skeptic but not generally cynical. Own a CYV in Altamonte and will be moving down in late 2011. Prior to purchasing I questioned our TV sales agent several times on the issue of developer subsidy and plans for the time when TV had been built out. She told me that no one had asked that question before. I'm sure that many newbies don't question, but I have lived in enough new developments that I am familiar with the normal progression.

I knew from my first visit that after time residents would need to pick up the total costs of amenities eventually and do not object to that. I Know that the Morse family has a profit motive and don't object. In fact without that incentive there would not be a "Villages" as we know it.

TV is beautiful, the residents are friendly and interesting, The Morse family understands how to provide their customers with a pleasing product and good service, and seem to be honorable folks. Should we ignor problems? ,no, but the continual carping of a few accomplishes little. Let's move on.

Bosoxfan
09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
:agree::agree:

Anyway, back to entertainment. Please understand, I think the entertainment in the squares is the coolest thing ever. It's one of the things that makes TV, TV. I'm hoping we can move from early 60's to the 70's soon. :)[/QUOTE]

zcaveman
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
I enjoy the entertainment on the square. It is relaxing and never too loud. I also enjoy all of the dancing entertainment. Our villagers and visitors know how to put on a show!

However, I do agree with one of the posters from above that there should be a little more variety in a band's choice of music. If you go on the same night (I prefer Wednesday for the CW), many of the songs are always the same. It would be nice if they would alternate songs and play different artists every once in a while.

suespetz
01-02-2011, 08:06 PM
We would like to see The Bundy's play more at the squares. They are a very talented couple.

batman911
01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I could live with just a DJ if that was what was available. I mostly go to the squares to watch all the interesting people there anyways. The squares are as much a gathering place as an entertainment venue for me.

thistrucksforyou
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Does Budweiser make a beer ?:boxing2:

Russ_Boston
01-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Does Budweiser make a beer ?:boxing2:

No, they make a rice lager that they call beer.

Tbugs
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
You call the entertainment lousy? Where you from that you get free entertainment 365 days a year?

Personally, I feel you cannot beat Norman Lee and the Boondock Saints; Cactus Jack and the Cadillacs; Rocky and the Rollers; Lenny Wilson Quartet; or the Doc Holiday Band. Great music for all and good times dancing.

If you feel as though The Villages will be doomed after buildout is complete - don't move here! Or if you are already here - sell and move on!

The Morse family is super-rich by means of The Villages. So what? They had a foresight that was wonderful and we are reaping the pleasures of their vision.

Once again, it is your choice to stay or to move on somewhere else. No one is holding you back - and the real estate market here is strong enough so you will not lose money. Just trying saying that in South Florida, Las Vegas, Michigan, or Ohio.

Sally Jo
01-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Very well said, tbugs. I couldn't have said it better.

chuckinca
01-04-2011, 01:59 AM
No, they make a rice lager that they call beer.

From the Miller website:

"MillerCoors primarily uses special varieties of barley with excellent consistency for brewing purposes. Other cereal grains—corn, wheat or rice—can be used with barley as “adjuncts.” Corn, for example, gives beer a milder, lighter-bodied flavor."

Apparently using corn, wheat or rice is a common practice in brewing beer.

nitehawk
01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Why not start you own thread BEER CICERONE(S)

Russ_Boston
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
From the Miller website:

"MillerCoors primarily uses special varieties of barley with excellent consistency for brewing purposes. Other cereal grains—corn, wheat or rice—can be used with barley as “adjuncts.” Corn, for example, gives beer a milder, lighter-bodied flavor."

Apparently using corn, wheat or rice is a common practice in brewing beer.

I know - I was just busting. I actually don't mind a Bud every now and then!