PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Flowers???

Bosoxfan
09-22-2010, 01:53 PM
My wife & I were out on our golf cart when she noticed a few yards with plastic (fake) flowers as part of their landscape.This was south of 466 and she was wondering if this is a deed restriction.If it isn't ..should it be?I'd love to see people's opinions on this matter.I myself don't have a strong opinion but I think it seems to be out of place.

salpal
09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Sounds tacky to me.

graciegirl
09-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I am getting a tension headache. First Salpal was TP'd. and now the plastic flowers.

They aren't allowed south of 466. Why .....when real flowers bloom so easily in this tropical climate???!!!!

YES, I am the plastic flower police. Grrrr.

It's my home town too.

Where is that Dale Evans holster???
What time of the month is it?
No. Nevermind.

Bosoxfan
09-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Sounds tacky to me.

Tacky's the word that describes it best.Sames as plastic pink flaming0s

ajbrown
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Sure sounds tacky and I doubt it is allowed. Cannot wait to get back and see for myself!

On the other hand I wish I had installed a plastic robellini 2 years ago. Mine took a beating last winter :cold:

Pturner
09-22-2010, 03:32 PM
What? Did they move April Fools to Sept. 22? Nobody told me...

Mudder
09-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Since the buffalos are gone I personally I think a flock of flamingos might look good lurking in the bushes somewhere along the Buena Vista multimodal trail !

salpal
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Gracie Girl...you are too funny! This will make you all laugh. North of 466 in an older section, I saw someone with Snow White and all seven of her drawfs on their lawn....plastic flowers aren't sounded so bad are they? You cannot dictate taste, thankfully, we have restrictions!

duffysmom
09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
My personal favorite is the red fire hydrant with a dalmation lifting his leg. There must have been a fire sale since I've seen several around TV.:22yikes:

graciegirl
09-22-2010, 05:02 PM
sigh. I can just hear people cancelling their lifestyle visits.:ohdear:

K9-Lovers
09-22-2010, 05:18 PM
I saw Snow White and her 7 dwarves and almost crashed my cart craning my neck!

Pturner
09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Next time somebody starts complaining about deed restrictions, we need to post a link this thread!

Debfrommaine
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Still in one neighborhood after several months....

Taltarzac
09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Since the buffalos are gone I personally I think a flock of flamingos might look good lurking in the bushes somewhere along the Buena Vista multimodal trail !

That might scare the teens away. :)

graciegirl
09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Still in one neighborhood after several months....

Maybe we can spread the word somehow to the delinquint teens who are messing around doing bad stuff that older people just LOVE plastic flowers. Maybe then they will pull them up.

mulligan
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
The old people?????

graciegirl
09-22-2010, 07:27 PM
The old people?????

The old-er people. er. er.:a20:

kb8tpw
09-22-2010, 08:03 PM
I can't imagine the management had anything to do with it but there are 4-5 bunches of the fakest fake flowers you have ever seen in the community island of a cul de sac near me. They have been there for months and I pass therm on my morning walk of the neighborhood. Makes pink flamingos look like a million dollars ! I have also seen a white ibis similar to flamingos, but much better looking and tastefully placed in landscaping. Legal? No? Probably not, but looks good to me.

JimJoe
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
If plastic flowers are a violation of the deed restrictions, call enforcement.
Personally I do not like the ideas of cars parked in driveways all the time that do not match the approved home colors.
I think this thread and restriction stuff has gotten out of control.

zcaveman
09-22-2010, 09:18 PM

Z

dog friendly
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Have any of you gone to Michael's to see the fake flowers? They are beautiful, not plastic looking at all, some older folks may not want to weed and feed and watch the flowers die.
Give them a break, I agree that we can have too many restrictions here, lighten up guys!!!!

zcaveman
09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
I have posted this before and I am posting it again. The only things that grow down here is grass, green plants and weeds. If you want flowers you had best be prepared to send some money. Why do you think they replace the flowers every 3 months around TV? Because the sun and the heat and the lack of water is not conducive to plant growth. Yes, there are some the wild flowers and other flowers you can grow but if you don't keep trimming and weeding them, they take over the yard and then you are in deep doo-doo trying to control them. Usually you end up digging them up and starting over.

There is nothing wrong with the artificial flowers as long as they are changed as the seasons come and go. I have seen many yards with artificial flowers that look great.

I know that some of you that are complaining are not even down here for the winter season yet and then you go back in the spring. Wait until you live here full time. Unless you have a green thumb and a lot of Miracle-Gro, you will be looking for artificial flowers yourself.

graciegirl
09-22-2010, 10:16 PM
If everybody had the same tastes Z we would only have vanilla ice cream and all the guys would be married to Angelina Jolie.

AND you are absolutely right about the flowers being difficult to maintain. I am usually pretty good at growing flowers and kids but you really have to baby the flowers in the intense heat and even all that care can't really keep them going when they are spent.

I think no flowers are better than the obviously false ones. And you are right dog, there are some pretty ones at Michaels.

It isn't a matter of choice though. It is a deed restriction south of 466.

Say Goodnight Gracie.

Don't be mad at me Z.

dog friendly
09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Gracie, I love your sense of humor, but do you read the deed restrictions like the Bible?

You must have every deed restriction written down. hehe

JimJoe
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
If everybody had the same tastes Z we would only have vanilla ice cream and all the guys would be married to Angelina Jolie.

AND you are absolutely right about the flowers being difficult to maintain. I am usually pretty good at growing flowers and kids but you really have to baby the flowers in the intense heat and even all that care can't really keep them going when they are spent.

I think no flowers are better than the obviously false ones. And you are right dog, there are some pretty ones at Michaels.

It isn't a matter of choice though. It is a deed restriction south of 466.

Say Goodnight Gracie.

Don't be mad at me Z.

Gracie: I read the deed restrictions for several areas south of 466 and I cannot find any that say an owner cannot have artificial flowers. Please give me a district number and the paragraph number, and quote it here. I have tried to find it and cannot. I am very sincere in the knowing if there is in fact such a restriction.
http://www.districtgov.org/departments/community-standards/deedrestrict-SumterCounty.aspx

I must say some of the restrictions are disturbing.
Section 2.20: How many residents notify the Developer whenever they are leaving for more than 7 days and simultaneously notify him of their intended return date? Holy Cow! Is there a website for that or who do you call?

Section 8: Is it really true that the developer can amend the restrictions anytime he wants by just filing a document in the public records of the county but he does not have to give the residents any other notice notice nor any opportunity to object? Can that be true? Are you kidding???

I was surprised at reading some of the others also.
Thanks.. JJ

CSilvestrucci
09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Yes, there are indeed fake and I mean very fake flowers here in my village of Bonita. I pass them every day along with a small fireman statue watering another lawn. Community watch passes them every day as well. They have been there for months.:cus:

jblum8156
09-23-2010, 04:27 AM
My understanding is that restrictions allow a statue (or pot or birdbath etc.) as long as it functions as a fountain.
Don't know about plastic flowers. They're tacky and ugly and we have plenty of real flowers.

zcaveman
09-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Don't be mad at me Z.

Actually, I said grass, green plants and weeds so I would be more pistachio than vanilla. And Angelina Jolie does not rock my boat. How did you pick her?

I could never get mad at GG.

Bosoxfan
09-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Actually, I said grass, green plants and weeds so I would be more pistachio than vanilla. And Angelina Jolie does not rock my boat. How did you pick her?

I could never get mad at GG.

shania Twain,Jennifer Anniston,or Halle Berry...now you're talking!!

macro
09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
shania Twain,Jennifer Anniston,or Halle Berry...now you're talking!!

I think Annette Funicello is still the best. Does this mean I have to cancel my semi load of pink flamingoes? (Dang it. I had such plans!) :1rotfl:

Annabelle
09-24-2010, 06:29 AM
Have any of you gone to Michael's to see the fake flowers? They are beautiful, not plastic looking at all, some older folks may not want to weed and feed and watch the flowers die.
Give them a break, I agree that we can have too many restrictions here, lighten up guys!!!!

I agree.
While I prefer the "real" thing in my own yard, not everyone has a green thumb, nor the time (or desire ) to spend in the garden. As for "plastic" flowers.....I think they were replaced with "silk" back in the 1970's. And there are some silk flowers that even a discriminating gardener would have to "touch" before they could tell the difference.

I find this thread amusing because TV residents have more serious issues going on right now than to worry about faux flowers in someone's yard.

As for those plastic flamingos........as long as they don't draw alligators and snakes.....I find that all part of the "charm" of living in TV....the more casual and "joie de vivre" lifestyle that I am seeking.

Annabelle

villages07
09-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Speaking of Pink Flamingoes.... I was riding my bike in Pennecamp last weekend, heading down to the BIG house at the end of Baypoint Way (the 1.5 million dollar premiere). On one of the roads leading down there was a very lovely premiere home with about 50 pink flamingoes in the front yard. I thought it was some kind of neighborhood joke (a sign saying "you've been flocked" was out front) ... but, a neighbor walking by said they sell the flamingoes. It was quite a sight!!! I'm surprised community watch didn't flag them...this is definitely a deed restriction violation.

Back to plastic flowers ... I have seen a few and feel they don't look that 'fitting' in our semi-tropical environment, but, to each his own. I don't believe that putting these out is a violation of the deed restrictions.

Whalen
09-24-2010, 07:02 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUb0evFZbNM

gsmchugh
09-24-2010, 07:12 AM
:ohdear: Still chuckling to myself! It's sad that people would put those plastic things in their yards! Very tacky!My wife & I were out on our golf cart when she noticed a few yards with plastic (fake) flowers as part of their landscape.This was south of 466 and she was wondering if this is a deed restriction.If it isn't ..should it be?I'd love to see people's opinions on this matter.I myself don't have a strong opinion but I think it seems to be out of place.

Boomer
09-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Good morning, Whalen,

That is truly beautiful. They sure know how to linedance.

And I saw a few of them doing that mating dance at an outside bar at Sumter Landing one night.

Boomer

Annabelle
09-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Whalen,
Great video!
I just realized why I have this affinity for flamingos......they love to dance!
Plus their pink!!!

While some may declare Florida "the Sunshine State".....everyone else knows......Florida is really the "Pink Flamingo State" (even those plastic ones)

Annabelle
Long Live the Pink Flamingo!!!

graciegirl
09-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Speaking of Pink Flamingoes.... I was riding my bike in Pennecamp last weekend, heading down to the BIG house at the end of Baypoint Way (the 1.5 million dollar premiere). On one of the roads leading down there was a very lovely premiere home with about 50 pink flamingoes in the front yard. I thought it was some kind of neighborhood joke (a sign saying "you've been flocked" was out front) ... but, a neighbor walking by said they sell the flamingoes. It was quite a sight!!! I'm surprised community watch didn't flag them...this is definitely a deed restriction violation.

Back to plastic flowers ... I have seen a few and feel they don't look that 'fitting' in our semi-tropical environment, but, to each his own. I don't believe that putting these out is a violation of the deed restrictions.

I have to think that the neighbor was misinformed. That little prank with the flamingos (You've been Flocked) went around our neighborhood in Ohio years ago. Also a sign that said "For Sale by Neighbors". Also a sign that said "The wife swapping event has been cancelled due to the lack of a qualified judge".

It's real boring here now. Time to move.

Halle
09-24-2010, 09:52 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUb0evFZbNM

Whalen thank you that was wonderful!

:mademyday:

duffysmom
09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
OMG Whalen I loved the video, nature is never boring and so beautiful.

BlueHeronFan
09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Always a party pooper at the dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7m5svYaJCo

otherbruddaDarrell
09-24-2010, 12:13 PM
:22yikes::22yikes:Tastes like chicken

Halle
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Always a party pooper at the dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7m5svYaJCo

and you are the one at this Dance!:swear:

BlueHeronFan
09-24-2010, 12:46 PM
and you are the one at this Dance!:swear:

You will find this right up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4H3icCCiXY

Halle
09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
:clap2:

Thanks Blue Heron Fan that put a smile on my face.

:laugh:

GO HUSKERS!

K9-Lovers
09-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Well, Blue Heron Fan, that was quite disgusting. Let's get back to talkin' 'bout plastic flowers . . .

Sparky-30
09-24-2010, 02:37 PM
We noticed them at our home we just bought out front and back, wife just shook her head and said she has never seen anything like that.

Halle
09-24-2010, 03:26 PM
To get back on topic, I agree with the several other posters and don't think there is any reason to ever have fake flowers. My family are native Floridian's and are spread from Pensacola to Jacksonville to Tampa to Key West and almost everywhere in between and I have never known of any of them to have plastic flowers!

PR1234
09-24-2010, 06:13 PM
GG you will LOVE this, the cute village over by Sweet Bay with the $500,000 homes (sorry can't think of the name of it????) Anyway....has LOTS of fake flowers, go take a look for yourself:cryin2:

PR1234
09-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Village of Lake Sumter Landing...that is the name! My friend and I drove through there last spring and couldn't believe all the plastic flowers. Our guess was.....so many of those houses are empty so TV doesn't want to spend a lot of time & $ taking care of them????

Bosoxfan
09-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Village of Lake Sumter Landing...that is the name! My friend and I drove through there last spring and couldn't believe all the plastic flowers. Our guess was.....so many of those houses are empty so TV doesn't want to spend a lot of time & $ taking care of them????

:shocked:

graciegirl
09-26-2010, 06:11 AM
GG you will LOVE this, the cute village over by Sweet Bay with the $500,000 homes (sorry can't think of the name of it????) Anyway....has LOTS of fake flowers, go take a look for yourself:cryin2:

I will go and look just as soon as we get back on Campus in exactly 21 days, 16 hours and 21 minutes.

I think you are talking about the Village of Lake Sumter Landing, THE COTTAGES, capitalized. For those who may read this and have never been here,those darling cottages were used three or four years ago for guest quarters for folks taking their lifestyle visit and they are adorable. However when it was time to phase them out, The Villages priced them way too high to sell. They are sold decorated, but the big problem I think is the garages are too small compared to most designers and the porches aren't screened AND I think it would be noisy living close to Lake Sumter Landing, but the ones on the lakefront would have a gorgeous view, and of course the lighthouse being nearby, the huge ships would never crash anywhere near at all. (LOL)

I think the reason they are empty, is because they aren't selling very fast for the above reasons, but I can't think that THE VILLAGES would deflower their own property with PLASTIC FLOWERS Ug.

One of the reasons I STRONGLY dislike plastic flowers in this climate is that they fade. ANd some of them...rust where there little wires are, and they aren't the same color as real flowers and ever since I went over the Lifelong Learning College and took me some art classes, I think of myself as an artist and they just..........aren't....uh....artistic.

A lot of people put plastic flowers in the cemetery, but that is a whole different thing.

I need coffee. Shadow is gonna beat up on me, I can feel it in my bones.