PDA

View Full Version : Questions from newbie

Jcormier
09-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I am an avid golfer and walk all the time now in Las Vegas. I am moving to TV at the end of October and have a few questions that I have not seen addressed in this forum.

1. Has anyone compiled a list of the championship courses which are practical to walk?

2. Are tee times required (allowed?) for a single at championship courses or executive courses for that matter?

3. Are walkers resented here by most? (I can play fast)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ron C.

graciegirl
09-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Welcome Ron C.

May you live long and prosper and do it here with us in The Villages!

You must get yourself signed up for a Life Style visit or none of what anyone says will make much sense.

This whole place including the nine championship courses and the 32 executive courses is organized in a way I had never seen before.

Being a very veteran golfer of 40 years and a very not good one I will tell you what I know. (There was a time I walked 18 holes five days a week during my summer vacations from teaching.....)

The pace of play is kept up here by tee times that are adhered too and ambassadors who watch how the play moves. You are sent out in foursomes.
Yes, you can walk. If you walk fast enough with your club drawn for the next shot and keep it out of next fairway, very few will resent you.

Come on down and see if you like this place. Be careful what you drink in the way of sweetened Kool drinks and keep your head down, and your eye on the ball.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie

EdV
09-26-2010, 04:16 PM
.....You must get yourself signed up for a Life Style visit or none of what anyone says will make much sense.....

Lifestyle Preview? But he said he’s moving to TV in October. He already drank from the well.

graciegirl
09-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Oh. You are right Ed.

I wasn't paying attention.

I wonder how he decided...

Ron C?

Being an avid golfer, I would suppose that you had already played a number of courses here and had this all figured out if you have already made the decision to move here.

I am on here way too much.:confused:

Welcome anyway Ron C.

Ohiogirl
09-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Ron,

I almost always walk the executive courses and you do not hold up play if you pay attention, and start walking after the last driver tees off. After all, you're walking right to your ball, not to someone else's first and you don't spend as much time getting re-oriented and looking for your ball.

I have also walked on Wednesdays during the ladies' scrambles on Heron, getting a lift to the first tee if it's not #1, and a lift back to the p/l. Sometimes if it's a hike to the next tee I will tell them to go ahead and I am almost always ready to hit 4th. There are a couple of places where there's a long walk between a couple of holes (Churchill Downs, I think is one) and someone almost always offers a ride and I drag my cart along, or I walk if it's not too hot. Heron's a very short course, usually ladies' day they play from the front tees, not sure if I would walk on Ladies' Day on some of the longer executive courses. Sometimes I ride to be sociable.

I drive my cart to the course, with my pull cart attached, then walk from there. I'm afraid if I pay the trail fee I will get lazy and start riding all the time. I sometimes, if I'm there when it's really hot, pay the daily trail fee and ride.

None of the courses are very hilly. Someone else will have to answer about the championship courses as I have only played 2 nine hole rounds on Mallory Hill and Havana so far. For me, if I play from the back tees on the executive courses (which I only do when it's not terribly busy, although I'm probably as good as some of the not so good men that play them), it's like playing par 4s and 5s. I usually play from the gold (middle) tees, sometimes from the forward tees if it's a water hole and I don't feel like losing any more balls that week.

When I talk to other walkers I'm randomly paired with, they seem to be in the best shape - people I think are around 65 turn out to be 78!

logdog
09-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm a walker on the Executive courses. I drive to the courses in my golf cart and walk from there. There are very few walkers here and walking does not affect the pace of play. Walkers are not resented (at least not to my face).

Walking the Championship courses is another matter. I used to walk 18 hole courses 3 days a week before moving here. The problem here is the distance between tee boxes. The developer wanted to maximize golf course views and added a few hundred yards between many of the boxes. Besides, there is no cart fee to ride the Championship courses.

Yes, you need a tee time to play any course as a single unless you're willing to wait around in the afternoon hoping for a cancellation. Tee times are usually easy to make and the tee time system will pair you up with 3 others.

golf2140
09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Ron C.

I have been here 10+ years, I can't remember seeing anyone walking on a championship course, I could be wrong. As mentioned above there is a long walk between holes. On Tierra Del Sol, I would venture a guess of 1/4 mile + between the eight hole and the tee box for nine.

swrinfla
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
As a completely dedicated non-golfer, may I ask: "What the h*** are y'all talking about?"

SWR
:beer3:

graciegirl
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
As a completely dedicated non-golfer, may I ask: "What the h*** are y'all talking about?"

SWR
:beer3:

There is no value in corrupting a nice fellow like you with golf talk.

However,

Walking means not taking a cart.

The long walk between end of hole and tee box that is referred to above is where one hole ends, say the eighth hole and the ninth hole begins. It is a LONG walk between those two places at Tierra del Sol Championship course.

AND has anyone heard from the quintessential golfer, PTurner these last couple of days???

ajbrown
09-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I have not compiled the list of championship courses you are looking for, but I am walking the courses in my head now :).

None of the courses are hard to walk if you are used to walking as you do now, but as others have mentioned there are some large walks between tees or getting to next 9 which you would have to hustle to keep up. IMO very doable and in most cases you can hop on your playing partners cart.

I would not try Palmer first as it is just plain big, i.e., lots of space between holes. I would start with Hacienda, Mallory or Cane to see how it works. If you get hooked up with me, I will give you a ride between tees :thumbup:

I would walk myself, but as I get older I find the cooler with ice is just too much!

BTW, I have been matched up twice with gentlemen that walked and neither time was an issue.

As far as resentment? Slow play is resented (possibly too strong a word), but I see no reason why it is anyone's business as long as you keep up. The big downside to walking is it is not as social if everyone else is riding.

Have fun!