PDA

View Full Version : Personal Finance Software

memason
10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I am looking for a personal finance software package that will work on the Mac. I have read nothing good about the Quicken version for the Mac, so I'm staying away from that.

I'm searching for something to replace Quicken... Currently, we use Quicken (PC Version), but we acquired a nasty virus today and it took me 2 hours and every trick I could muster to eridate it. It locked me out of everything adminstrative, which was a real problem... even DOS!

Any recommendations ??

Thanks.... Mike

zcaveman
10-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I am looking for a personal finance software package that will work on the Mac. I have read nothing good about the Quicken version for the Mac, so I'm staying away from that.

I'm searching for something to replace Quicken... Currently, we use Quicken (PC Version), but we acquired a nasty virus today and it took me 2 hours and every trick I could muster to eridate it. It locked me out of everything adminstrative, which was a real problem... even DOS!

Any recommendations ??

Thanks.... Mike

Are you saying that Quicken gave you a virus? That is what I assume from your post. Just asking.

I have been using Quicken on my PC for over 10 years and never had a problem. But then I only upgrade every two to three years and only use the cash flow (check and register) and investing options.

rjm1cc
10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I have not used this program but it runs on a mac and costs less than Quciken http://moneydance.com/

memason
10-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Are you saying that Quicken gave you a virus? That is what I assume from your post. Just asking.

I have been using Quicken on my PC for over 10 years and never had a problem. But then I only upgrade every two to three years and only use the cash flow (check and register) and investing options.

Z... Sorry... I was probably not clear in my post. The virus did NOT come from Quicken. We got the virus from God know where.

I'm just searching for a replacement for Quicken, so we can move our financials to the Mac.

Sorry for the confusion!

rjm1cc
10-07-2010, 11:14 AM
This company is owned by Quicken. It might help. http://www.mint.com/budget/quicken-online-and-mint/?cid=ppc_g_nb_all_stan_us_pfs+br+mnt_brnd+o+mnt_qu icken+online_e&priorityCode=[priorityCode]&ven=g&kw=quicken%20online&gclid=COL6luOSwaQCFUmA5QodIhUIjA&utm_source=google&utm_term=quicken%20online&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=pfs%20br%20mnt+brnd%20o%20mnt

REDCART
10-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Z... Sorry... I was probably not clear in my post. The virus did NOT come from Quicken. We got the virus from God know where.

I'm just searching for a replacement for Quicken, so we can move our financials to the Mac.

Sorry for the confusion!

I'm sure you're aware that they make Quicken for Mac? If you're already with the product, why would you want to switch?

saratogaman
10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
If you have an account with Citizens and you do your bill paying online at their site, there is -- for lack of a better term -- a "Quicken Lite" on their web site (though they call it some else -- "Finance works" or something, said to be powered by Quicken). Not sure if it's as robust as Quicken...check it out.

nkrifats
10-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Financeworks from citizens first is a nice product. Stay away from the Latest version of Quicken for the Mac. It is a dog and not worth the money in my opinion.

chuckinca
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
I've used Quicken on both Mac and PC for many years. The recent upgrades for PC have been a pain - wish I could go back to using a version around 2005.

REDCART
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I've used Quicken on both Mac and PC for many years. The recent upgrades for PC have been a pain - wish I could go back to using a version around 2005.

I agree. Somewhere around 2004-2005, Quicken had all the functionality that it needed. But like so many software developers, Intuit felt compelled to add new features each year, (which no one really needed or wanted) in order to sell "upgrades." My cousin bought a MAC last year and gave us their copy of Quicken 2010 for PC, otherwise, I'd still be very happy with an older version of Quicken. There was an earlier discussion on TOTV about the need and value of Quicken in light of on-line banking. But for a 15+ year Quicken user, I'm hard pressed to understand why more people don't see its value.

Russ_Boston
10-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I've been using an old version of MS Money which works great for me. But I assume that doesn't work on a MAC.

Actually MS Money was discontinued this year so I guess I'll have to hope that my 2005 version works forever!

memason
10-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the info. everyone.... I would like to stay with Quicken, but I just don't read anything good about, either here or on the net. I will try some of the options you have presented here. Haven't seen Citizen First software, but I don't want to use an internet version for my personal finances...just not that trusting, no matter what they say.

I'll let you know which way I decide to go and why. Thanks again for all the input!

Mike