PDA

View Full Version : Villages Computer Club warning about e-mail.

Taltarzac
10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
I got this information from the Villages Computer Club today via an e-mail.

"I checked this myself on Snopes & it is legitimate
Peter C. Cronas
VERY IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ -
These e-mails are floating around currently.

Anyone using Email clients such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL and so on. This information direct from The United States Computer Emergency Response Team (US-CERT)
You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled "Here you have it" or "Just for you." If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful....'
Subsequently you may LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, and the person who sent it to you will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate in early September. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and anti-virus software products are not yet capable of dealing with it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS and ask them to PASS IT ON!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp"

AnonChick
10-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Those e-mails were floating around back in September 2009, not last month in 2010. It's been altered slightly from the original. The original had you clicking on a screen saver file which installed an e-mail virus which would propagate and send itself out to everyone on your address book. It looks like whoever sent it to you, was infected. I recommend deleting that e-mail warning about US-CERT and Snopes, and running a full partition scan on your computer to check for worms.

ijusluvit
10-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Another great reason to use a Mac.

Rumor has it there have been a few viruses which can affect them, but I have yet to see actual evidence of any.

The newest versions of Norton anti-virus programs are a great backup.

AnonChick
10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
This new series of e-mails might not even be the virus, but rather a hoax warning about the virus that really did go around a year ago (and probably still gets stuck in someone's computer now and again). In other words, it's directing you to a warning about an old problem that isn't likely to still be much of a problem anymore... however that "e-mail this to everyone you know!!!!1111oneoneone1111~~" nonsense at the bottom is helping to propagate the e-mail, without even needing a coded virus.

The lazy man's virus - just send an e-mail to a few suckers and tell them they have to send it to everyone on their address book.

Taltarzac
10-18-2010, 02:58 PM
The Villages Computer Club is a rather reliable source of information about computers and computer related matters.

Check out the dates on the Snopes entry for these e-mails too. http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/hereyouhave.asp