PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of computers

Canoemale
12-21-2021, 11:10 AM
How do you dispose of a computer in The Villages? Thanks

ThirdOfFive
12-21-2021, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure if they still do it, but a few years back Best Buy would take old computers for disposal, no charge. It might be worth a call to them to find out.

In any event, it is always a good idea to securely erase the hard drive before letting it go.

retiredguy123
12-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Staples will recycle it for free.

villagetinker
12-21-2021, 01:13 PM
Make sure you completely wipe the hard drive, or better yet remove it and destroy.

B-flat
12-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Make sure you completely wipe the hard drive, or better yet remove it and destroy.

Ditto!

retiredguy123
12-21-2021, 05:27 PM
I recommend a sledgehammer. It does the job, and it is also fun.

twoplanekid
12-21-2021, 07:30 PM

I would always recommend removing the hard drive and keep it as a backup. As I hate to loose data files (pictures, documents, ...), I keep everything that has had data on it for backup purposes.

Priebehouse
12-22-2021, 05:45 AM
Yes. Best Buy takes all electronics for recycling.

Dean62
12-22-2021, 05:45 AM
There was a guy who posted on some of the villages Facebook groups that was taking old computers

JoelJohnson
12-22-2021, 08:00 AM
Old computers still have a lot of life in them.

Linux is a light weight operating system that can act like Windows without all the problems. You can still use all your online accounts, use an open source word or spreadsheet program and convert you existing ones.
There are many households that can't afford a new computer, but could get by with Linux. In converting a system to Linux the hard drive is totally wiped out. Linux is also virus resistant. What I mean by that is that your chances of getting a virus is greatly reduced. It doesn't annoy you with automatic updates (you do them, or not, when you want to).
There are many great YouTube videos on how to do it (or I can help).

Duppman
12-22-2021, 08:05 AM
After a relative recently passed away, I recycled a number of items at no charge through Best Buy. One was a computer screen which I was charged for, the rest of the items were no charge. As another previously suggested, wipe the hard drive clean.

EX708
12-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Use the electronic er in Leesburg (support local small business!) They're on 44 near 27 or they will pick up for free. THEY RETURN HARD DRIVES TO YOU ON THE SPOT for your disposal or storage. They break down and recycle every component of anything electrical to avoid landfills. Stereos, battery chargers, tv's ..anything with a circuit board or wires.
Their hours of operation are odd, see the website but they are easy to work with.

352-539-9985

Lottoguy
12-22-2021, 12:05 PM
Yes, I too took out the hardrive and destroyed it too. Kind of fun actually.

Irishheart628
12-22-2021, 12:45 PM

Contact Jeff McNeil in Linden. He’s looking for old computers.

bhallam
12-22-2021, 12:55 PM
UbreakIfix on Wedgewood Lane in the Villages

FredJacobs
12-22-2021, 03:11 PM

I usually clean the disc and donate the computer to a charity. You can use software called CCCleaner. Here's a link to give you more information and how to download the software.

How to wipe a hard drive on a PC you want to give away or sell (https://www.ccleaner.com/knowledge/how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive-on-a-pc-you-want-to-give-away-or-sell)

newyorkmaya
12-22-2021, 04:14 PM

You can take it to he transfer station on Jackson, off of Rolling Acre road in Lake Cty

richl
12-22-2021, 04:19 PM
you might touch base with Yangmin Shen <yang@shen.us>. His group refurbishes some comouters-
To: vHOTemail

Mon, Dec 13 at 12:09 PM

Our regularly scheduled catch-up session is at Rohan Rec Ctr tomorrow night at 6:30p in the craft room.

If you need help with soldering, debugging, brainstorming,or just want to come chat, please come. This is for both Small Computers and 3D Printing.
--
Meeting calendar, past presentations, and other resources are at handsontech.org

DaleDivine
12-22-2021, 11:56 PM
They used to do a free disposal at TV high school of all electronics. I've taken some there. Not sure if they still do it.
:ho::ho: