PDA

View Full Version : Golf Cart Tires - thump, thump...

TommyT
10-18-2010, 08:50 PM
We recently closed on our house in Pennecamp and took delivery of our new golf cart. We were in the house about a week, then had to return to Atlanta. When we returned to the house this past week, we took the golf cart out only to get a big surprise. The tires felt as though they had or were getting flat spots from not being used. The cart had a very pronounced thump, thump when we started and became less with time, but did not go away.

My question is "What does one do with their carts when they are not there to use the cart?" Does the tires or can the tires get flat spots from not being used? If they can, how do you fix the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Indy-Guy
10-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes the tires will get flat spots from just sitting in one place for a long time. The best way to get it to go away is drive them for an extended of time at the heat of the day on hot asphault. They will heat up and this should go away. Also check the air pressure.

Not part of this problem but I see alot of tires on golf carts that are rounded rather than flat across the tread. This is caused from driving on low pressure tires. These golf cart tires will not look low but can have less than half of the reccomended tire pressure and look ok. After you inflate the tires to correct tire pressure you will be suprised how much faster your cart will go as the cart will roll much easier.

Bill-n-Brillo
10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Assuming it rode fine after delivery but yet gave you the "bump bump"/flat spot feel after returning from ATL, simply using the cart several times and really getting the tires warmed up might help out. Also, a couple of things you might consider doing when leaving the cart sit for extended periods: 1.) over-inflate the tires somewhat to help alleviate the tendency they might have to flat-spot (deflate to proper pressure upon returning the cart to use), and 2.) put the cart up on jack stands of some sort so the tires are off the ground. That one's kinda a PITA but it would definitely eliminate any flat-spotting from the cart sitting!

Bill

TommyT
10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
This is caused from driving on low pressure tires. These golf cart tires will not look low but can have less than half of the reccomended tire pressure and look ok. After you inflate the tires to correct tire pressure you will be suprised how much faster your cart will go as the cart will roll much easier.

I have a 2010 Yamaha with the big 10" wheels and tires. Can you or someone tell me how much air pressure should be in the tire when it's called "full" ??

downeaster
10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
We recently closed on our house in Pennecamp and took delivery of our new golf cart. We were in the house about a week, then had to return to Atlanta. When we returned to the house this past week, we took the golf cart out only to get a big surprise. The tires felt as though they had or were getting flat spots from not being used. The cart had a very pronounced thump, thump when we started and became less with time, but did not go away.

My question is "What does one do with their carts when they are not there to use the cart?" Does the tires or can the tires get flat spots from not being used? If they can, how do you fix the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A snowbird neighbor who is away 7 months puts pieces of old carpet under his tires.

downeaster
10-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a 2010 Yamaha with the big 10" wheels and tires. Can you or someone tell me how much air pressure should be in the tire when it's called "full" ??

I would advise contacting the dealer. Not all tires are equal.

golfnut
10-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Look on the sidewall of the tires it will tell you the max pressure, mine says 30 ....gn

Bill-n-Brillo
10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Suggestion re: proper inflation.

Tire sidewalls will usually state air pressure required for maximum load carrying capacity per tire. Usually, your total weight including passengers, fuel, battery, golf clubs, etc. will be less if the tires are the appropriate load range for your vehicle. So how do you know what psi to inflate to?

What I do, at least with automobiles, is to look at the "dirt track" that will show on the tire treads when rolling the car on a smooth surface such as a paved or concrete driveway or parking lot. Best bet is to take an old rag and either wet it or put some mild cleaner on it to clean some amount of the tread surface on all 4 tires. Then drive/roll the car forward, enough for the dirt on the hard surface to get the tread dirty. Keep the steering wheel going straight. The dirt should extend right out to the edges of the tread. It should not cover less (indicates over-inflated) or more, wrapping around to the shoulder of the tire (indicates under-inflation). Front and rear tires might need different pressures based on how the vehicle weight is distributed.

That's the only way I know how to get it right! :) Might be some other ways as well. And check your air pressure as the outside air temps change. The formula is something like your tire air pressure will increase 1 psi for every 9 degree F in temp increase. Conversely, it'll drop 1 psi for every 9 degrees the temp drops.

Bill

golfnut
10-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't think tires usually state required pressure for max loads, I think they always do. Myself, for the golf cart I read that max pressure and inflate the tire to the pounds required, I'm not going to try to second guess how close I might come to the max load, and I've never heard of running over wet rags to try to determine the proper pressure. Keep in mind if you have a four person golf cart you need all of the seats filled in order to accurately determine the correct pressure....gn

Bill-n-Brillo
10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
... and I've never heard of running over wet rags to try to determine the proper pressure. ....gn

Sorry you misinterpreted part of my post. Hopefully to clarify: You don't drive over the rags - you use a rag to clean the tread surface then roll the vehicle forward or backward to see how the dirt from the hard suface sticks to the clean tread. That will let you see if the tire is over, under, or properly inflated.

Hope that helps! :smiley:

Bill

golfnut
10-19-2010, 08:32 PM
OK thanks...gn

JUREK
10-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Yes the tires will get flat spots from just sitting in one place for a long time. The best way to get it to go away is drive them for an extended of time at the heat of the day on hot asphault. They will heat up and this should go away. Also check the air pressure.

Not part of this problem but I see alot of tires on golf carts that are rounded rather than flat across the tread. This is caused from driving on low pressure tires. These golf cart tires will not look low but can have less than half of the reccomended tire pressure and look ok. After you inflate the tires to correct tire pressure you will be suprised how much faster your cart will go as the cart will roll much easier.

Indy Guy:
Good advice. I have been doing as you suggest over inflating the tires when I store my vehicles for years. I have two carts and a Caddy I store for up to 6 months in Villages for 5 years now. When I get back in the spring I bring the air pressure down to normal and I have not had any problems.
In fact the Caddy which is 10 years old I believe still has the original tires with around 80K miles. The tires are good but the rest of the car is junk.
Never again will I get a Caddy.

chacam
10-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Conversely, it'll drop 1 psi for every 9 degrees the temp drops.

Bill

Do you really do this ? ? ?

Bill-n-Brillo
10-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo
Conversely, it'll drop 1 psi for every 9 degrees the temp drops.

Bill

Do you really do this ? ? ?
No, no - it's not anything I do. It's the "science" of dropping temps causing air pressures to lower (and the converse as well). I do keep a pretty regular eye on tire pressures when the seasons change, though. Big temperature swings..........

Bill

k2at
10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
I have a Yamaha gas 2010 cart and when I bought it the dealer said that 26 pounds in all 4 tires should do it.