PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Game Last Night

2BNTV
10-20-2010, 11:21 AM
I watched the game last night in the hope they would win as I felt they needed to win in 6 games and avoid Cliff Lee in game 7.

Top of the sixth and Joe Giradi's binder tells him to walk Daniel Murphy to pitch to Benjie Molina. I am talking to the TV, "don't walk him", who do think this guy is, Lou Gehrig. Molina homers and the game is vitually over.

Some people have questioned Joe's decision to let A.J. Burnett to pitch to Molina as well to start Hughes in game 2 instead of game 3.

Joe could have another use for the binder but I won't go there.

This puts the Yankees in a precarious position in having to win all three and having to beat Cliff Lee in game 7 if it goes that far.

As a long time Yankee fan of almost 50 years, I have to admit, it will a very difficult thing to win three games especially now that Mark Texiera is out for the season with a hamstring injury.

What does other Yankee fans think of Joe Giradi's decisions?

Off my soapbox.

Oh well. Football season is here and the sun will come up tomorrow.

zcaveman
10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I have not been happy with Giradi's decisions for most of October. When he was blowing the final set to the Rays that basically gave the Rays the division title, Giradi's comment was "just getting into the post season is my aim". Why not win and get home field advantage?

I agree that it is going to be damn near impossible to win the next three games. Although I do want it to go seven.

NJblue
10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I watched the game last night in the hope they would win as I felt they needed to win in 6 games and avoid Cliff Lee in game 7.

Top of the sixth and Joe Giradi's binder tells him to walk Daniel Murphy to pitch to Benjie Molina. I am talking to the TV, "don't walk him", who do think this guy is, Lou Gehrig. Molina homers and the game is vitually over.

Some people have questioned Joe's decision to let A.J. Burnett to pitch to Molina as well to start Hughes in game 2 instead of game 3.

This puts the Yankees in a precarious position in having to win all three and having to beat Cliff Lee in game 7 if it goes that far.

As a long time Yankee fan of almost 50 years, I have to admit, it will a very difficult thing to win three games especially now that Mark Texiera is out for the season with a hamstring injury.

Off my soapbox.

Walking a guy to face Molina has not turned out well at least twice. I can't justify it.

Keeping AJ in to face Molina ... that's not as clear-cut. AJ had been doing quite well up until that point (and the bull pen has been not up to snuff for this series) so it is debateable.

I too would have used Pettitte in game 2. As I recall he pitched well against the Twins and he had seemed to have gotten over the rusty-ness he had from his injury. It was a shame to waste his talent against Lee who everyone expected to be unhittable. It probably would have been better to use Hughes or even AJ as a sacrificial lamb for that game. Hindsight is always 20/20 but had Andy been used in either game 2 or 4, the Yankees would probably be tied right now.

tpop1
10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
........it's how they re losing that's the cruncher.

How do you:

Not start Posada..(would Burnett been any worse with Jorge catching),
Bring Mo in when it's 2-0 in the 9th the other night(what are you saving him for),
Keep using Robertson & Logan?
Walk Murphy to pitch to Molina(if Murphy HR's then it only 4-3;)

These are not 2nd guesses as I mentioned them to my wife before & when they were happeing. Even she could not believe they walked Murphy!

Girardi's killing me with this by-the-book bull stuff! with Torre I don't think I ever out-guessed him!

Herm Edwards said it best when he ranted "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!

NJblue
10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
The only thing I can say about the catching thing is that Jorge seems to have lost a bit defensively and AJ is noted for his wild pitches.

skip0358
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Besides Joe's decissions when we keep leaving men on base, maybe just maybe some of our hot shot heavy hitters should check their bats for holes in them. Because they sure haven't been helping the situation either. JMO

2BNTV
10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
tpop1
Senior Member Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

They aren't just losing, it's how they re losing that's the cruncher.

These are not 2nd guesses as I mentioned them to my wife before & when they were happeing. Even she could not believe they walked Murphy!

Girardi's killing me with this by-the-book bull stuff! with Torre I don't think I ever out-guessed him!

tpop1:

I hate losing stupid.

If a player makes a physical error, like trying to make a difficult catch and the ball pops out of their glove. I'm ok with that.

When someone makes a mental error, like not running out a hit and getting thrown out, that is losing stupid. I guess I was upset because its how their losing.

The bases on balls is killing us as the oldtimer Frankie Frisch used to say. Two runs without a ball leaving the infield.

As Yankee fans, we are accustom to winning and I have seen all their championships since 1951. I was just a little boy of ......

I am a Joe Torre fan also.

It begs the question, what was Joe Giradi thinking?

Thank you to everyone for letting me vent my frustration and for taking the time to post.

Another game in two hours. Go Yankees!!

Tom Hannon
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Managers today go to the book too often. One game in the Twin playoffs, Kerry Wood was lights out. He blew away the side in I think 10 pitches. Next inning he brought in Mariano. Okay, Mo did his usual MO job, but why use Mo when Wood had his best stuff that night. The lefty righty BS is overplayed and too many managers worry about hurting a players/pitchers feeling because they pulled him in a critical situation. Baseball IS NOT the game it used to be. When I get to TV I want to Strat-O- Matic league and use players from 1956. Mantle, Mays, Wynn, Kaline, Clemente, Snider, Aaron, Drysdale, Yogi and Campi. Those were the days my friend...

Shirleevee
10-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Sorry I cannot write what my husband, sons and grandsons think of Gerardi's managing this series. In my opinion, less by the book and more Billyball!

Off my soapbox.

Sorry I cannot write what my husband, sons and grandsons think of Gerardi's managing this series. In my opinion, less by the book and more Billyball!

Pat_RI
10-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I am a Sox fan but it just seemed like every decision Joe made last night was wrong. Why he didn't bring in Joba is beyond me. How many people are going to watch a SF vs TX world series?

Tom Hannon
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Joba is not the pitcher he was when he came up late in the season a few years ago. The Joba rules ruined him. He doesn't know if he's coming or going, starting or relieving. Best The Yankess can do is trade him while he has some trade value.

2BNTV
10-20-2010, 02:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the golden age of baseball was the 1950's when the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants battled it out in a subway series.

Who from that era could forget the argument of who was a better centerfielder.

Mantle, Mays or Snider.

What a perfect time for a boy in New York to become a baseball fan.

texasfal
10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry Guys, GO TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BobKat1
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
There might be some hope for the Yankees today with CC on the mound.

BTW, is he bigger this year vs. previous seasons?

Tom Hannon
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
We can tell Texasfal is from Texas. But with his screen name we should have been able to figure it out.

Ajack
10-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Sorry Guys, GO TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:BigApplause: Yep

tkret
10-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Robinson Cano can't do it all by himself; but he's trying!

laryb
10-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Hey guys, personally I think Girardi's doing a great job! Keep up the good work Joe! :thumbup::thumbup:

chuckinca
10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Managers today go to the book too often. One game in the Twin playoffs, Kerry Wood was lights out. He blew away the side in I think 10 pitches. Next inning he brought in Mariano. Okay, Mo did his usual MO job, but why use Mo when Wood had his best stuff that night. The lefty righty BS is overplayed and too many managers worry about hurting a players/pitchers feeling because they pulled him in a critical situation. Baseball IS NOT the game it used to be. When I get to TV I want to Strat-O- Matic league and use players from 1956. Mantle, Mays, Wynn, Kaline, Clemente, Snider, Aaron, Drysdale, Yogi and Campi. Those were the days my friend...

Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, Billy Pierce, Ted Kluszewski, Minnie Minoso, etc, etc!

BobKat1
10-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, Billy Pierce, Ted Kluszewski, Minnie Minoso, etc, etc!

Big Klu! And I thought he was a forgotten man. I had a Big K 1st baseman's mitt. Er, I mean my dad had one....

Tom Hannon
10-20-2010, 06:48 PM
I remember Klu wore a uniform with the sleeves cut off atthe arm pits to give freedom to his arms because he was muscular and he did it without steroids.

tkret
10-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Momentum shifted?

Shirleevee
10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the golden age of baseball was the 1950's when the Yankees, Dodgers and Giants battled it out in a subway series.

Who from that era could forget the argument of who was a better centerfielder.

Mantle, Mays or Snider.

What a perfect time for a boy in New York to become a baseball fan.

Or a Girl lol!