PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Running

stockmanl
10-22-2010, 06:51 PM
We are moving to TV in the spring of next year. We both love to run and are wondering if there are any running clubs in TV that aim to complete 1/2 marathons or full marathons. Do they have either of these events in TV or do you have to travel to Ocala or Orlando to do this?

Tornado Topliss
10-23-2010, 03:58 PM
We are moving to TV in the spring of next year. We both love to run and are wondering if there are any running clubs in TV that aim to complete 1/2 marathons or full marathons. Do they have either of these events in TV or do you have to travel to Ocala or Orlando to do this?

Hi There

The Village has an active Track & Field Club. The runners meet 3 times a week at The High School Track from 7.30am to 9.00am Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Long Jumping, Triple Jumping and High Jumping also takes place at the same time. The Throwers (Javelin, Discus and Shot) train at the back of the Polo Fields at all different times. Equipment is available at Saddlebrook Rec Centre.

We have all standards ranging from former Olympians to Athletes who just want to stay fit. Today we have just competed in the Senior Games in Gainesville and tonight the distance runners will be competing again in The Villages 5k at Sumter Landing. There are local 5k's including The Villages series as well as several nearby but you will have to go to Orlando or Ocala or Tampa for Marathons/Half Marathons. Several of the club members do run Marathons/Half Marathons.

In January 2011 a relay team of 10 runners from The Villages will be running from Key Biscayne (Miami) to Key West a distance of just under 200 miles. They will each run 3 legs and they will be running through the night as well as during the day. The oldest is 86 and the youngest is 62.

We have more Sprinters/Jumpers than distance runners and I'm sure the distance runners will welcome you with open arms.

Several of us as well as coaching Villagers also coach the High School Track Team as well as competing ourselves.

I suggest when you get down here you go to The High School Track on our training mornings and have a chat to the guys and gals and they will give you details of local meetings although there aren't so many in the summer.

Tornado Topliss
10-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I sent a reply to this enquiry 5 hours ago and received a message to say it would not be displayed until approved by a controller. Why such a long delay since my response has still not been shown.

tony
10-24-2010, 04:06 AM
You posted that at 5 p.m. on a Saturday. Think about it.

Tornado Topliss
10-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks Tony but I am a bit confused which is quite easy. When I checked TOTV at 10pm my response was not shown but now it is and given a time of just before 5pm. I assume for some postings there is a delay to check out the validity etc. I also note that when I actually log onto the site the times shown are GMT whereas when I do my daily read of the recent posts ,but not logged in, the times are Florida ones. By the way I love the site and have to get my daily fix especially when I have to return to England for 6 months. Perhaps one day the rules will change. Now back to running.

tony
10-24-2010, 08:36 AM
You made the post about 5 p.m. and that is the time carried on the post, even
though it was withheld from general sight.

After it was approved, it joined those in general sight, but still carried the 5
p.m. original entry time.

You time zone is set in your Control Panel. It is at the upper left, User CP.
In that page, look at the bottom right and select your time zone.

I changed it for you now, but when you go back to the U.K. you might want to
change it. If you can't find it, get in touch with me.

stockmanl
10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info on the Track and Field Club. It will be something we will check out. We have also found online that Ocala has a running club that we will also look into. My wife ran her first marathon this month and now has the "bug". It's a great way to stay in shape. Winter time definitely sounds like the time to be running down there. :)

Pturner
10-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the info on the Track and Field Club. It will be something we will check out. We have also found online that Ocala has a running club that we will also look into. My wife ran her first marathon this month and now has the "bug". It's a great way to stay in shape. Winter time definitely sounds like the time to be running down there. :)

Congratulations to Mrs. Stockmanl on her first marathon. That's quite an accomplishment! And btw, Welcome to TOTV!

:welcome:

batman911
10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Stockmanl,

My wife and I have done several visits to TV. We run early every morning on the cart paths but seldom see any other runners. I believe we only encountered one other runner in all our morning runs. All our visits were in July/Aug so you would expect runners to be out early to avoid the sun. It was kind of a mystery to us because you do see lots of walkers later in the morning.