PDA

View Full Version : Creating a tunnel in TV

ajbrown
10-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Many folks may have seen this throughout the development of TV, but it really stuck out for me. This spot is about where Morse will be south of 466A. On the other side of the tunnel you see Colony Cottage and the driving range. To the left you see where Morse meets 466A. Must be nice not to have to dig a tunnel :)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030671.jpg

The shot below has 466A at my back. Just last winter this whole area was flat. It amazes me the dirt these folks move to create the look they are going for.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030677-1.jpg

Can hardly wait to see this area in a year....

Ajack
10-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Amazing, huh? I was down there the other day. I would have loved to see it transported and put in place. Must of been one heck of a rigging job.

Taltarzac
10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
That tunnel does not seem to leave much room between your golf cart's top and its roof??

Like the dogs in the picture.

Wonder how anyone would think they could drive their pick-up through a tunnel that size. I have seen pick-ups backing out of the tunnel by the Villages High School. Expect that was some football fan who had a little too much beer at the tailgate party.

missypie
10-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Tunnel is amazing! Thanks for the shots. Doggie is absolutely beautiful!!!!

skip0358
10-24-2010, 08:49 AM
While you were over there don't know if you noticed the concrete golf path also. That'll be some walking trail. Seems to never stop. It's really something to watch the other side taking shape. They really don't waste anytime. In a year it'll be old hat!

ajbrown
10-24-2010, 02:26 PM
That tunnel does not seem to leave much room between your golf cart's top and its roof??

Like the dogs in the picture.

Wonder how anyone would think they could drive their pick-up through a tunnel that size. I have seen pick-ups backing out of the tunnel by the Villages High School. Expect that was some football fan who had a little too much beer at the tailgate party.

The tunnel is about 18 inches below where my cart is parked, so it is a bit deceiving.

The dog is Caly and she is a great girl :)

golfnut
10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
That's a really cool picture I'll have to check it out when I'm in the area....gn

graciegirl
10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
That's a really cool picture I'll have to check it out when I'm in the area....gn

I agree. Just love to watch this place unfold! Thank you for sharing this with us. Doggie is cute too.

Pturner
10-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks AJ,

:BigApplause:

It would be wonderful if FT residents would continue to photograph the progress, so we can how a whole new TV "town" takes shape.

And, I agree, Caly's a beauty and is probably as sweet as she looks!

Taltarzac
10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Is that a dog statue in the tunnel??? It seems to be in the exact same position in both pictures.

Ajack
10-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks AJ,

It would be wonderful if FT residents would continue to photograph the progress, so we can how a whole new TV "town" takes shape.

I guess I am not hip. Can you tell me what "FT" means?

bkcunningham1
10-24-2010, 04:30 PM
I guess I am not hip. Can you tell me what "FT" means?

I think "FT" stands for "full-time."

chuckinca
10-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Amazing, huh? I was down there the other day. I would have loved to see it transported and put in place. Must of been one heck of a rigging job.

It could have been poured in place - looks too wide to transport .

chuckinca
10-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Same as Frog.

Ajack
10-24-2010, 04:49 PM
It could have been poured in place - looks too wide to transport .

That was my thought too, but don't know if that type of tech could be field administered. Maybe it could have arrived in 2 pieces?

Ajack
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks, I thought there might have been some other meaning. I guess I think too much. LOL

Pturner
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks BK and Chuckinca. That's what I meant.

About transporting vs. onsite, it looks like it could have been poured in sections. Maybe it was transported in sections and sections were joined onsite??

Bill-n-Brillo
10-24-2010, 05:40 PM
About transporting vs. onsite, it looks like it could have been poured in sections. Maybe it was transported in sections and sections were joined onsite?? This would be my guess as well. If you look closely at the top/sides of the tunnel in the photos, you can see what would appear to be equally spaced seams where the sections would butt together. Next time you're inside a tunnel without any cart traffic, maybe drive slowly through it and check it out from the inside. I'd like to do that myself..........'cept we're in OH. :sigh:

Bill

Talk Host
10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Have any of you been here long enough to remember that the Morse Blvd bridge into Sumter Landing was a bridge before there was a lake. There was this gigantic bridge in the middle of a dirt field.

JLK

graciegirl
10-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Have any of you been here long enough to remember that the Morse Blvd bridge into Sumter Landing was a bridge before there was a lake. There was this gigantic bridge in the middle of a dirt field.

JLK

NO KIDDING? Bet that was something interesting to watch. Did they dig out under it???

Pturner
10-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Moral of the story: if you're building the bridge and the lake, it's cheaper to build the bridge first.

Besides...I have a cart, but not a horse. So I guess I put the cart before the horse too. :)

Talk Host
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
NO KIDDING? Bet that was something interesting to watch. Did they dig out under it???

That's exactly what they did. Once the hole was dug, the lock was opened and poof, Lake Sumter.

Ajack
10-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Moral of the story: if you're building the bridge and the lake, it's cheaper to build the bridge first.

Besides...I have a cart, but not a horse. So I guess I put the cart before the horse too. :)

Well, as my father always said, " We'll cross that bridge when we get to it"

chuckinca
10-24-2010, 09:56 PM

JLK

When I was a youngin on the south side of Chicago around 1955, they built a long concrete structure at street level on 79th Street near State St - 79th is a major East/West Street. A few years later they dug out that structure, other like structures and a hole about 500 yards wide, 50 Feet deep and 10 miles long and built the 14 lane Dan Ryan Expressway.

ajbrown
10-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks AJ,

Caly seems to be thanking all of you for the compliments............. or she just needs to go out, hard to tell....

We are not full timers. We are snow birds??? I like the term bosoxfan used in another thread. we are three season porches. Oct - June.

Who knows we may never be full timers, depending how life evolves, but we sure are having fun trying to figure it out :coolsmiley:

PS. Speaking of front porches reminds me I really need to get back to exercising!

ajbrown
11-01-2010, 08:06 AM
/* not the best quality pictures, but... */

Down at the dog park :icon_wink: with Caly again. They are moving quickly on Morse Blvd south of 466A. I was very close to driving my cart up on top of the tunnel but did not want to end up on a different thread about crazy cart drivers. I am going away for a week and am afraid there will be houses here when I return!

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030689.jpg

Below I am facing north, Morse is directly at my back, lined up right over the tunnel, there are already north and south bound lanes (dirt) and a round about behind me. I have been told access to the Sarasota range (real location) and the new country club will be near that round about.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030680.jpg

I will miss this dog park. I have seen some amazing sunsets here. Of course never have a camera when that happens :doh:

BogeyBoy
11-01-2010, 09:02 AM
I drove by last night and saw the covered tunnel.

Also saw the golf cart paths are being installed on the new course. (I remember seeing the golf cart paths installed on Turtle Mound and other courses along 466a before there was a house in sight. Thought it was strange then, kind of expected it this time.)

If houses go up as fast as they have next to The Waterfront Inn we certainly can't blink!

Niels
11-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Great pictures. It's amazing how fast things happen around here.

Pturner
11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
AJ and Caly,
Thanks for the updated pictures. I haven't been to TV since early Sept. :cryin2:and appreciate the glimpses of progress.

ajbrown
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
It is amazing how much the area has changed in the last six weeks. I created an album if anyone would like to see....

Not a great camera or a great photographer, and the pictures seem to change color when resized, but gives an idea of the changes over the past weeks...

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/album.php?albumid=355

Halle
12-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the pictures AJ and Caly,:doggie:

We will be back in TV in 11 days and can't wait to see all the changes, it never fails to amaze us since the last time we were there. Counting down the days till our return to The Bubble.

:pepper2::pepper2:

Shimpy
12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Note that this tunnel under Morse is unique in that it is above ground level, and Morse will go up and over it. All other tunnels that I know you have to go down, through the tunnel, then back up to ground level.

2newyorkers
12-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the pictures. It is amazing how fast everything is built in TV.

Taltarzac
12-04-2010, 09:35 AM

JLK

Google Earth might show this with the archived satellite shots. I'll have to look. You can see where the lake was not in the March 4, 1994 satellite shot on Googe Earth. The Jan 24, 1999 also has it.

Interesting satellite shots of Lake Sumter Landing on Google Earth.

JJ&TJ
12-04-2010, 12:00 PM
New to the site and TV. Just bought in Hemingway. Anyway I was involved with a project like this a few years back and can tell you it comes in sections and put together on site. In some places they can only go down so far and then grade over and you wont even know that it was never down below grade.

ajbrown
01-20-2011, 07:28 AM
It is getting hard to remember the original grade of this land already! Was getting dark, but can still make out changes.....

Looking north towards 466A from the first round-about where Sarasota range will eventually be. If you look to the left you can make out the cart path.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/IMG_0243.jpg

We had to take that path so we could see the tunnel. This is looking south with 466A at my back.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/IMG_0249.jpg

ajbrown
03-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Tunnel looks like it was always there, check out original post (#1). Last night I swear I saw them starting houses, wowser....

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030828-1.jpg

Hard to tell from photo, but the cart path is completely done on west side of Morse all the way to rotary.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030839.jpg

skyguy79
03-25-2011, 08:32 AM
The tunnel is about 18 inches below where my cart is parked, so it is a bit deceiving.

The dog is Caly and she is a great girl :)It's not only the differences in elevation, but also the differences of distances between objects. The greater the distance beween the golf cart and the tunnel, the smaller the tunnel height would appear to be or larger the golf cart would appear to be. It's an illusion technique that's frequented in photography and movies! i.e.:

Note: Sorry, I missed that there were still several posting to read before making this posting. Maybe I'll wake up after I have my breakfast!:mornincoffee:

Paulm47
03-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Spoke to a contractor involved in new construction. They have received blueprints already and expect to start construction on a new model center south of 466A within 30 days. Probably in the new "Village of Sanibel" The entry signs for which are already in place at the first traffic circle on Morse opposite the new fire headquarters.

tudacee
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
I love stuff like this...so interesting to see how it's put together...

ajbrown
03-29-2011, 05:10 PM
I love stuff like this...so interesting to see how it's put together...

When I first saw that tunnel sitting there on a flat piece of property (post #1), I just shook my head and smiled. The amount of dirt moved around is really amazing and fun to watch. I used to do this kind of stuff with my Tonka trucks :D

Francie
03-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Keep the pictures coming ajbrown! So very, very interesting. Thanks for posting.

tghoul
03-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Spoke to a contractor involved in new construction. They have received blueprints already and expect to start construction on a new model center south of 466A within 30 days. Probably in the new "Village of Sanibel" The entry signs for which are already in place at the first traffic circle on Morse opposite the new fire headquarters.

A neighbor told me he could see at least a dozen rooftops in that area this morning.

ajbrown
03-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Somehow I missed this post until I saw someone else reply to it or I would have responded. Last week it sure looked to me like they were pouring slabs in Sanibel! Can hardly wait until this weekend :)

I am not a photographer, just a guy out for a ride in the golf cart on a lovely evening that has a camera. Here are some shots from Sanibel which I had posted on another thread.

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/Morse%20south%20of%20466A/?albumview=slideshow

Paulm47
03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
More from contractors. They have started what will be a 39 unit model center. Plumbers and electricians have been working and slabs are being poured.

champion6
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
More from contractors. They have started what will be a 39 unit model center. Plumbers and electricians have been working and slabs are being poured.39?!? Wow, that's a lot of models!

Cottage? Designer? If there will be 39, I'm wondering if they will be both cottage and designer.

spk7951
04-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Somehow I missed this post until I saw someone else reply to it or I would have responded. Last week it sure looked to me like they were pouring slabs in Sanibel! Can hardly wait until this weekend :)

I am not a photographer, just a guy out for a ride in the golf cart on a lovely evening that has a camera. Here are some shots from Sanibel which I had posted on another thread.

http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/Morse%20south%20of%20466A/?albumview=slideshow

The houses are definitely going up and quickly. Took a quick trip through the area last night and took a few pictures.
http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/spk7951/Sanibel%20area%20-%20South%20of%20466A/?albumview=slideshow

Bill-n-Brillo
04-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the photos, spk!

Bill

Shimpy
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
The houses are definitely going up and quickly. Took a quick trip through the area last night and took a few pictures.
http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y359/spk7951/Sanibel%20area%20-%20South%20of%20466A/?albumview=slideshow

Has anybody ever stopped you going into a restricted area? I thought about it myself but after reading all the warning signs I figured I better not.

2newyorkers
04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the pictures.

Pturner
04-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi Spk,
Thanks for the sneak peaks. Wow, I didn't realize they were already building houses. I hope we get to find out who is the first "trailblazer" to buy a home in Brownwood.

BogeyBoy
04-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Has anybody ever stopped you going into a restricted area? I thought about it myself but after reading all the warning signs I figured I better not.

The fences that were across the golf cart paths have been removed.

Shimpy
04-03-2011, 03:37 PM
The fences that were across the golf cart paths have been removed.

I just noticed they are back up. I saw they were removed the other day when I went as far as the tunnel on my way to Publix, but for some reason we're blocked out again.

BogeyBoy
04-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I just noticed they are back up. I saw they were removed the other day when I went as far as the tunnel on my way to Publix, but for some reason we're blocked out again.

Seems to me they did the same thing along Morse Blvd. For a while you could drive down there, then the fence was not only put back but reinforced. Maybe a curious villager took them down?

ajbrown
04-04-2011, 06:54 AM

Truly amazing the speed it happens. Thanks for the pics.

ajbrown
05-09-2011, 01:46 PM
It was a beautiful Sunday evening, the lovely wife at home with visiting sisters and my job to take Caly for a ride. Once again Caly ran away into the area south of 466A on Morsehttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angelic002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) . I had to go in and get her. I am glad she does that on Sunday evenings when no workers around we would bother. While I was there I grabbed some pictures, nothing great, but shows some progress. Even my cart is different! NEW pictures start after the picture of the bull dozer....

PS. Caly and I DID NOT do this, it was like that when we got there.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030892-1.jpg

Bill-n-Brillo
05-09-2011, 02:13 PM
So now you and Caly are "escaped felons", eh? :1rotfl:

Thanks for posting your photos, as always aj. Nice for us to be able to keep up with the goings-on from up north!

Bill :)

champion6
05-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Love the pix. Thanks!

Pturner
05-09-2011, 07:22 PM
The photos are great. Thanks Caly and AJ.

trumbull
05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I have a question. When I look at the map, there is a structure accross the street from the Bonify Country Club, not sure what this structure is. Can somebody answer this

Jhooman
05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Thank you for your secret pictures! It's amazing how quickly this planned community develops.

ajbrown
05-10-2011, 06:03 AM
I have a question. When I look at the map, there is a structure accross the street from the Bonify Country Club, not sure what this structure is. Can somebody answer this

I am not sure what map you mean, but I did see this structure to the left in this picture (Bonifay over the cart). I jokingly call it "The Planetarium". Twice a week there will be half priced happy hour from 4 - 6, directly followed by laser shows. I cannot wait for Pink Floyd night :jester:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030898-1.jpg

swimdawg
05-10-2011, 07:48 AM
It was a beautiful Sunday evening, the lovely wife at home with visiting sisters and my job to take Caly for a ride. Once again Caly ran away into the area south of 466A on Morsehttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angelic002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) . I had to go in and get her. I am glad she does that on Sunday evenings when no workers around we would bother. While I was there I grabbed some pictures, nothing great, but shows some progress. Even my cart is different! NEW pictures start after the picture of the bull dozer....

PS. Caly and I DID NOT do this, it was like that when we got there.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af146/ajbrown2007/totv/P1030892-1.jpg

Yeah.....Lexi tells me the same thing when tears up my shoes!:doggie:

Great photos. Keep up the good work.

spk7951
05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Left the bubble for two weeks and now I see a new building just east of the future firehouse. Does anyone know if this is the future home of the Sarasota driving range/golf academy?

batman911
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I believe the mystery structure to be a water tank. Looks to be on a hill high enough to avoid the need for a water tower.

ajbrown
05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Left the bubble for two weeks and now I see a new building just east of the future firehouse. Does anyone know if this is the future home of the Sarasota driving range/golf academy?

It sure looks like that type of building. I know that is the location of the Sarasota Range, as you can see the tees are already graded, but I had no idea we were getting a new academy and was surprised to see that buidling. I was down there last evening (without camera :() and it is taking shape. The buidling has three bays that face directly out into the water (north) where the range balls will be hit. These sure look like teaching bays like they have at Palmer. If it is true that would be a great....

2BNTV
07-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the pictures as they were great.

Did Caly sign in at the office? :)

spk7951
07-03-2011, 09:01 AM
It sure looks like that type of building. I know that is the location of the Sarasota Range, as you can see the tees are already graded, but I had no idea we were getting a new academy and was surprised to see that buidling. I was down there last evening (without camera :() and it is taking shape. The buidling has three bays that face directly out into the water (north) where the range balls will be hit. These sure look like teaching bays like they have at Palmer. If it is true that would be a great....

I asked the question the other day when I was at the golf academy at Palmer. The new building next to the new firehouse will be a golf teaching/club repair facility. Supposed to be larger than the facility at Palmer. Projected opening is late Sept or early Oct 2011.

angiefox10
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Isn't it about time for your dog to run off again??? I havent' seen any pictures in a long time!:(

ajbrown
08-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Isn't it about time for your dog to run off again??? I havent' seen any pictures in a long time!:(

:D

I am sure she would, but...... We are all up in MA enjoying the summer. Looking at pictures in other threads that whole area may be all done by the time fall comes. Caly will be running off to a place on BV south of 466A I suspect by then. That tunnel sitting there at ground level from the first post (link below) in this thread is one of my favorites, especially seeing what the area looks like now. Have fun....

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/showpost.php?p=301820&postcount=1

angiefox10
08-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Yeah... I remember it... I just missed his "running off" I wondered what happened!!! :thumbup: