PDA

View Full Version : What Pro Sports Venues have you been in that don't exist anymore

Indy-Guy
10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Ok sports fans,

I was in a conversation the other day about what pro sports venues have you been in that are no longer standing.

My list is below

1. Crosley Field Cincinnati Ohio (Reds)
2. River Front Stadium Cincinnati Ohio (Reds & Bengals)
3. Cincinnati Gardens (Royals)
4. What ever the old Baseball park in Chicago where the Sox played.
5. Hoosier Dome-RCA Dome Indianapolis (Colts)
6. Market Square Arena (Pacers) & Elvis's last concert I was there.

What does your list look like?

LittleDog
10-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Crosley Field in Cinn, Shibe Park in Phila., Yankee Stadium, Ebbets Field, the Polo Grounds in NY, Jarry Park in Montreal, and others which I cannot recall at present.

John

tpop1
10-26-2010, 09:29 PM
...or as many as my feeble mind can remember tonight!

THE Yankee Stadium (saw all the stars 50's to 2008)
The Old Madison Square Garden; at 8th and 49th Street in Manhattan (remember 4 team doubleheaders - stood next to Wilt!)
Giants Meadowland Stadium (LT, etc.)
RCA Dome Indy (1st & only time I saw Dan Marino)
Riverfront Stadium Cincinnati (After Big Red machine)
Old Busch Stadium, St. Louis (in the 80's)
Texas Stadium; Dallas (My Giants broke my heart there one night)
New Haven Coliseum (NH Nighthawks)
New Haven Arena (NH Blades, remember the movie Slapshot"

redwitch
10-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Yankee Stadium
Meadowland
Madison Square Gardens (didn't know it didn't exist any more though)
Candlestick for the Giants (yes, I know, still used for football, but ...)
Kesar
a couple of others but too tired to think of 'em

Bosoxfan
10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
The Boston Garden

Hancle704
10-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Ebbetts Field, Home of The Brooklyn Dodgers
The original Madison Square Garden, Home of The Knicks and Rangers
Brooklyn Ice Palace, Home of some great amateur hockey and speed skating
The Original Shea Stadium, home of The Jets and Mets.

Ajack
10-26-2010, 10:09 PM
The Boston Garden

Yep, and Schaefer Stadium. :D

Larryandlinda
10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Ok sports fans,

I was in a conversation the other day about what pro sports venues have you been in that are no longer standing.

My list is below

1. Crosley Field Cincinnati Ohio (Reds)
2. River Front Stadium Cincinnati Ohio (Reds & Bengals)
3. Cincinnati Gardens (Royals)
4. What ever the old Baseball park in Chicago where the Sox played.
5. Hoosier Dome Indianapolis (Colts)
6. Market Square Arena (Pacers) & Elvis's last concert I was there.

What does your list look like?

Griffith Stadium, DC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith_Stadium
'Dead'skins and Senators
Pop had one season ticket and knew a gatekeeper who let me sneak under the turnstyle.
So no seat for me- so I walked around the field - where it got so cold in winter there were constant fires in the 55-gallon trash cans
Anything that burned.

DC hosted the only 'opening day' - always one day ahead of others - and it was an excused absence as the Prez was there.
I always weaseled my way toward the dugout to see how close I could get.
Ike, Kennedy, Nixon, and a couple others.
They didn't take the mound, just lobbed one from the stands.

Sure beat school.
Beer was limited to the 'beergarden' in two bleacher sections.

Memorial Stadium, Bawlmer. Colts and O's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Stadium_(Baltimore)

miss 'em both

L and L

Schaumburger
10-26-2010, 11:11 PM
What ever the old Baseball park in Chicago where the Sox played."

That would be Comiskey Park. Replaced by U.S. Cellular field.

chuckinca
10-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Soldier Field - nearly completely rebuilt.

Old Comiskey Park - can still smell the stock yards

iaudit
10-27-2010, 06:15 AM
Connie Mack Stadium - former home of the Phillies
Veterans Stadium - former home of the Eagles and Phillies
Boston Garden(original) - former home to Bruins and Celtics
Shea Stadium - former home to the Mets
Spectrum - still standing but no longer used, former home of the Flyers and Sixers

villages07
10-27-2010, 06:23 AM
And, L&L, the original Capital Centre which became US Air Arena home to the Baltimore/Washington Bullets then Wizards NBA and NHL Caps.

Larryandlinda
10-27-2010, 06:30 AM
And, L&L, the original Capital Centre which became US Air Arena home to the Baltimore/Washington Bullets then Wizards NBA and NHL Caps.

Wait!
That place in Landover with the taco roof is dust? We didn't even know it was sick!

Little Stevie nearly blew the roof off in 1970

L and L

villages07
10-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Yep, it got blowed up ... Now a shopping center on that property.

BlueHeronFan
10-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Pittsburgh
Three Rivers Stadium
Civic Arenia/Mellon Arena
University of Pittsburgh Stadium

Minnesotalyn
10-27-2010, 02:59 PM
The old Met Stadium, Minneapolis, Mn.

billds567
10-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Come on NYers, sure Ebbitts Field,Yankee, Shea and the Garden, but how about the Polo Grounds? After the baseball Giants left, it sat until the Mets played there in 62 and 63.

army one
10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Tiger Stadium in Detroit.

djplong
10-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Totally gone?

Boston Garden.
Shea Stadium.

Gone but still standing (no major pro teams playing there anymore)

Kezar Stadium (SF) - still standing but I saw a 49ers/Redskins game there in the late 1960s.
Olympic Stadium in Montreal - no Expos and only the occasional CFL or soccer game.

FYI - Jarry Park is still standing but it's a tennis venue now, called "Uniprix Stadium"

paulandjean
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Bowen fieldhouse, where Eastern Michigan University would play basketball. Other teams hated to play there, Home court advantage every time they took the floor. The night Wisconsin came in ranked in the top 25,and found out the hard way.Believe it was in 94 or 95 season. They have new Convocation Center now.

BaylorBear
10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
The old Texas Stadium in Arlington, TX.

Hawkwind
10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
The Cleveland Arena - original home of the Cavs and Barons hockey
Cleveland Stadium - home of the Indians and Browns
Richfield Coliseum - second home of the Cavs

chuckinca
10-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Hoping to be able to say Tropicana Field soon - what a mess of a baseball field.

saratogaman
10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Yankee Stadium
Polo Grounds (saw a NASCAR race there after Giants were long gone!)
Madison Square Garden
Hawkins Stadium (Albany NY Eastern League team)
Connie Mack Field (I think it's gone)
Several auto race tracks: Menands & Pine Bowl & Route 66 Speedway(all in Albany-Troy NY area), Agawam MA, Bridgehampton NY road course (I assume it's gone)...plus others that I can't recall.
And, of course, Shea Stadium (my grandson refuses to call its replacement CitiField -- to him, it's still Shea Stadium!)

Hawkwind
10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Some of the best drag strips in the country in their day.
In So. Calif
Lions - right next to Long Beach
Irwindale Raceway
San Gabriel Raceway
Orange County Raceway

In Virginia - Suffolk Raceway when the air was good this was the fast.

In Pa it has to be York US 30 in York PA.

Bosoxfan
10-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Texas Stadium-Home of the Cowboys In Irving Texas
Schaeffer Stadium-New England Patriots Home before Gillette
The old Yankees Stadium
Boston Garden

barb1191
10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Totally gone?

Boston Garden.
Shea Stadium.

Kezar Stadium (SF) - still standing but I saw a 49ers/Redskins game there in the late 1960s.
Olympic Stadium in Montreal - no Expos and only the occasional CFL or soccer game.

FYI - Jarry Park is still standing but it's a tennis venue now, called "Uniprix Stadium"

How about your neck 'o the woods in NH, the Louden Race Track?

A little off topic, yet a cute true story relating to race tracks. Please be kind topcop :police:

A friend of mine and her hubby spent the day at the Louden, NH race track as guests of Paul Newman and wife Joanne a number of years ago. They were guests because they picked up Paul and his daughter on Rte 3 N in NH when Paul's RV broke down and my friends fixed him up with a dealer who loaned them a brand new RV to continue on to the racetrack. My friends Elaine and John gave Paul and his daughter a ride to the RV dealer where John worked.

Funny story: Elaine was driving their stick shift car and was on her lunch hour with hubby when hubby John told Elaine to stop and give this guy and little girl walking along the roadside a lift to the garage nearby. Paul and dau (now remember this was many years ago when it was safer to offer rides) got in the back seat and unbeknownst to Elaine who is driving heard John say to these new passengers in the back seat, "Is that your rig back there that broke down? You're Paul Newman, right?" Paul responded, "yeah." Elaine looked in the rear-view mirror and saw those blue eyes and all of a sudden the car started to buck because she lost all sanity in trying to step on the clutch and shift. To hear her tell the story, it was hilarious.

More hilarious is when Elaine and Paul got home from work later that day, the phone rang and the caller said, "Hi Elaine, this Paul...Paul Newman." Elaine said she got all choked up and stammered her way thru the conversation where Paul was so appreciative of their help that he was calling them to invite them to be he and Joanne's guest for the races at Louden NH the next day (not far from where they lived).

They spent the day with the Newmans and said it was like a day with our neighbors, they were so down-to-earth. Paul also gave them his address in Connecticut if they were ever in the area.

I saw all the pics they took of the day; Elaine asked if it was ok to bring her camera and Paul told Elaine to freely take pics as long as they're not published. Of course, she respected the request. This took place sometime during the early 1970's.

End of story.....

Ajack
10-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Neat story Barb. I really like those kind of experiences.

Thanks

Larryandlinda
10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Some of the best drag strips in the country in their day.
In So. Calif
Lions - right next to Long Beach
Irwindale Raceway
San Gabriel Raceway
Orange County Raceway

In Virginia - Suffolk Raceway when the air was good this was the fast.

In Pa it has to be York US 30 in York PA.

Marlboro Motor Raceway near DC was abuzz with 24-hour events in the 60's

Washington Colesium - where we saw the Ice Capades on the more mellow sade and pro wrestling on the more robust.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Coliseum
The already bigger-than-life ccast of characters were even more gigantic to us kids at ringside
Bruno Sammartino, Gorilla Monsoon, Sky low low, and the Shiek were a few of the early stars.
Sorry to say we were not in the house when the Chiffons opened for the fab four in their first US concert, just 48 hours after they appeared on
The Ed Sullivan Shew

L and L

cybrgeezer
10-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Someone mentioned old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. I'll see that and raise you one.

Busch Stadium

Earlier Busch Stadium, which started life as Sportsman's Park.

Cardinal baseball runs so deep in my family that my parents were married at City Hall in St. Louis on a weekday (Mom's birthday), then got on the street car to Sportsman's Park because the Giants were in town and the starting pitchers were Carl Hubbell and Dizzy Dean.

THEN, after the game, they left on their honeymoon.

And about 23 years later, when I was a high-school kid, I worked the summer at what had by then been renamed Busch Stadium.

bigbill
10-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Totally gone?

Boston Garden.
Shea Stadium.

How about the Old Providence Arena home of Providence Reds hockey and the Celtics would play about 6/12 games a year there.

2BNTV
10-29-2010, 10:26 AM
My list is:
1. Yankee Stadium - saw Dave Righetti's no-hitter on July 4. Tom Seaver's 300th win when pitching for the White Sox, (only time I rooted against my Yankees). My son wanted to go to David Cone's perfect game but I had to go to another family function and sadly missed it, (Yogi Berra Day - my favorite ballplayer).
2. Shea Stadium - The Mets Tom Seaver struck out 19 Padres.
3. Riverfront Stadium - Pete Rose
4. Meadowlands Staium - Giants
5. Boston Garden - A tour before they tore it down. Watch the Celtics many times on television and at one time was my favorite basketball team in the Bob Cousy era. I remember his behind the back passes. It seemed like he was doing magic.
New Haven Colliseum - Hockey?

I can't think of any others.