PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had their stamped driveway removed?

Rwsmith
03-16-2022, 01:49 PM
Has anyone had their stamped driveway removed? I would like to have it removed and replaced with a regular painted design. If so, please let me know how it worked out and who do you recommend. I had a contractor out today and stated that I'm stuck with it. That there's no way to remove it all to give a clean surface to repaint.

Thanks

Papa_lecki
03-16-2022, 03:20 PM
Couldn’t you remove the driveway, re pour concrete, then paint that?

Not sure there’s any other way.

DangeloInspections
03-16-2022, 03:41 PM
There are companies out there that can bring in industrial grinders and take that off in like one day. I have seen it done twice just this month in my neighborhood. The end result looks better than when the driveway was original....very smooth. I doubt it is cheap....the one company I know of comes out from Orlando with two guys and a huge machine.
Remember, if you paint the driveway make sure they add "Shark Grip" to the sealer to prevent slipping.

Interesting that this is the way you wish to go....most do just the opposite.

Frank D.

Rwsmith
03-16-2022, 04:19 PM
There are companies out there that can bring in industrial grinders and take that off in like one day. I have seen it done twice just this month in my neighborhood. The end result looks better than when the driveway was original....very smooth. I doubt it is cheap....the one company I know of comes out from Orlando with two guys and a huge machine.
Remember, if you paint the driveway make sure they add "Shark Grip" to the sealer to prevent slipping.

Frank D.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind it so much but there are places that are chipping away and I'm not a huge fan of the pink color. The pic doesn't stand out like it does when seeing it in person.

asianthree
03-16-2022, 04:30 PM
To repair 4 chipped areas, of less than 3-6 inches it was $750. Plus $1500 for reseal for our 3 car drive. That was in 2015, by the original company.

Grind down to original would be worth it

Tom52
03-16-2022, 05:36 PM
I was just quoted $1.25/sq ft to grind a painted driveway. I don't know if they could grind a stamped surface flat. Cost would go up accordingly if it is possible.

villagetinker
03-16-2022, 06:34 PM
OP, if (big IF) the color does not go through the entire top layer, you might be able to have the color ground off, and then repainted. We recently had this done on our lanai. Driveways by Jay through Hometown Services did the project. He also applied twice the normal amount of shark grip so we have a nice non slip surface, about 400 square feet was around $1400. As mentioned above, it might be cost effective to just get a new driveway. Good luck with your project.

davem4616
03-16-2022, 07:21 PM
OP, a few of my neighbors have had blocks placed over their existing driveways ....it looks nice

Michael G.
03-16-2022, 09:00 PM
I had our painted concrete driveway removed completely for so many reasons.
A couple reasons why is there was ugly cracks all over.
Second reason we choose to replace was the drainage was terrible.
Water ran near the bottom during a hard rain bringing in sand and dirt so much I needed a shovel.
Never was sorry we replaced it after 3 years crack free and great drainage.

NoMo50
03-17-2022, 04:59 AM

Frank D.

I can only imagine the dust cloud that would raise. Pity the neighbors.

srjax2
03-17-2022, 05:39 AM
Call Patrick Raphael 407 232 0978. He does grinding. He is grinding my stamped driveway in April. He sent me a picture of his grinder

foxmeadow
03-17-2022, 07:27 AM
Has anyone had their stamped driveway removed? I would like to have it removed and replaced with a regular painted design. If so, please let me know how it worked out and who do you recommend. I had a contractor out today and stated that I'm stuck with it. That there's no way to remove it all to give a clean surface to repaint.

Thanks

HD Hand Design removed mine. Phone# 352-304-4420.
Exceptionally hard workers.

villagetinker
03-17-2022, 07:30 AM
I can only imagine the dust cloud that would raise. Pity the neighbors.
The grinding machines have vacuum collection systems. When we had the lanai ground down, there was no dust in the house, and very little in the surrounding area, practically none on the hot tub.

debem1@aol.com
03-17-2022, 07:33 AM
Try American Concrete Staining, Inc. at (352)308-7213

Jeffery M
03-17-2022, 07:39 AM

Thanks

Edison Concreations. He is the best.
edison concreations inc - Home (http://www.edisonconcreations.com/)
352 406-8775

Lindaws
03-17-2022, 08:13 AM
We paid $425. to reseal our 3 car driveway 6 months ago.

sk450
03-17-2022, 12:35 PM
Don't remove or grind it. There is a compound that will let fresh poured concrete adhere to other concrete. Used in interstate road repairs. Then over lay with 3 to 4" of new concrete.

Michael A. David
03-17-2022, 01:55 PM

Thanks

Yes I had mine removed and it was a nightmare. The person I hired had to do it by hand with a grinder. I rented a machine from Home Depot and it did a poor job. Good luck finding someone and kiss your bank account good by.

Carla B
03-17-2022, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind it so much but there are places that are chipping away and I'm not a huge fan of the pink color. The pic doesn't stand out like it does when seeing it in person.

Then you must have a really good sealer on it. Our stamped driveway, originally done in 2011, lost its coloring after 3 years, twice, because the sun was too strong for whatever sealer had been applied. The third application has lasted more than 3 years. It's not very attractive, but we went neutral for relief from the imaginative results of the second "artist's" coloring skills.

I was going to say that if your main objection is to the pink color, you could just wait for it to fade. We disliked the strong coloring applied on the second application but it was "bleached out" in a couple of years. Or, as posted above, maybe you could do something to compromise the sealer, then deal with it.

Byte1
03-17-2022, 02:47 PM
My "stamped" driveway was removed in the night but was returned due to a lack of postage.....:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

jimlambert
03-17-2022, 06:58 PM
OP, a few of my neighbors have had blocks placed over their existing driveways ....it looks nice

Unfortunately the paver stones crack over time too.

La lamy
03-18-2022, 05:38 AM
Since it's the pink that bothers you, maybe you could repaint/stain the pink parts. It would take a primer for previously painted/sealed driveways, paint and seal. Could be a fun DIY for you, or a less costly fix from a professional.