PDA

View Full Version : Beware of ThinkPoint/Facebook

Sparky-30
11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Really bad virus hit me the other day, its a fake anti-virus they want you to buy, could not get out of it, just sat there and blocked up my screen no matter what I did, called the Geek Squad, he said its coming out of facebook, that its a monster, completely over ran my webroot security.
Also has a Fake Windows sign on the side of it.
He said dont click on any links in Facebook.

Cost me $300 to fix, ouch!

Hawkwind
11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
From the sound of things you picked up a malware. Save yourself some money and go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and download the program malwarebytes and it is free. Simple to use and keep up to date. Also a good anti virus program such as Microsoft Security essentials at http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ This is another free program. Now finally try http://www.superantispyware.com/ and again a free download.

When you run each program you may find that each one finds something different which is okay.

Hummm $300.00, I should go into business, nah I did that type of work for over 10 years so I just wind up doing it for free.

KathieI
11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Really bad virus hit me the other day, its a fake anti-virus they want you to buy, could not get out of it, just sat there and blocked up my screen no matter what I did, called the Geek Squad, he said its coming out of facebook, that its a monster, completely over ran my webroot security.
Also has a Fake Windows sign on the side of it.
He said dont click on any links in Facebook.

Cost me $300 to fix, ouch!

Sparky, who's the Geek Squad and do they come to your home? I have Windows 7 and its driving me nuts, I've lost all kinds of stuff I need and I can't find it. I'm "pretty" computer savvy and I can't find sh**....
Hawk, I have malwarebytes already, should I download the other two also? I wish you were here so you could help me....
PS, I don't open up ANYTHING anymore, even email attachments that people send me... I got caught once, never again.

njbchbum
11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
kathiei - here in nj the geek squad will come to your home - don't know cost of a house call - they work out of staples in my neighborhood. hth

784caroline
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Kathy
The geek Squad works out of Best Buy ...A better or I should say cheaper alternative may be a local guy "Right Click Computer" and John DellaCorte is the Owner and a Certified Repair technician. He charges $60 (flat fee) to clear a computer virus . You can reach him at 352-454-5996 or rightclickcomputer@gmail.com.

islandgal
11-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Hawkwind -
Is it okay to have 3 anti virus programs? I have malwarebytes.

I was hit by a virus from Facebook about 3 months ago. Haven't returned since it was fixed.

Sparky-30
11-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Geek squad said this thing is so powerful, it doesnt matter what security system you have. It started by brains who have nothing better to do. I can ususually get out of one, but this one was awesome.

Sparky-30
11-17-2010, 07:22 PM
eek squad on 441, they originally told me $129 whether i brought it in or not, same price but could go to $149 and thats if they come to your house, but...same price if you drop it off. Received a call from this a.m., said now it could run $300, guess you wind up with gun yo your head.

In awe of TV
11-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Everything freezes on your screen. I reached Geek Squad via google and it took them almost 5 hours to get rid of the virus. They fixed the computer remotely, I didn't need to take the laptop anywhere.

It cost me $220.00 which included a Norton Antivirus program which they installed. I never could've gotten rid of that virus.

I would recommend Geek Squad to anyone.:024:

Hawkwind
11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Sparky, who's the Geek Squad and do they come to your home? I have Windows 7 and its driving me nuts, I've lost all kinds of stuff I need and I can't find it. I'm "pretty" computer savvy and I can't find sh**....
Hawk, I have malwarebytes already, should I download the other two also? I wish you were here so you could help me....
PS, I don't open up ANYTHING anymore, even email attachments that people send me... I got caught once, never again.

Kathie, what are you using as an anti virus program now? Be advised that running some programs like McAfee and Norton on the same system may cause issues.

I mainly run Security Essentials and Malwarebytes on all my computers. I run superspyware every so often just to see what it can pick up and it also cleans out the cookies.

I will be heading down over Thanksgiving weekend but as of now I am not sure what day I will be leaving here and arriving there.

Geek Squad is a unit from Best Buy and here in Ohio I think it is $75.00 per hour for a home visit. Personally I have never used them but my niece recently bought her first computer from Best Buy and they sold her a lot of things she did not need. Next time she will check with her uncle first.

Hawkwind
11-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Hawkwind -
Is it okay to have 3 anti virus programs? I have malwarebytes.

I was hit by a virus from Facebook about 3 months ago. Haven't returned since it was fixed.

I run the three that I have listed on all my computers and have had no problems. There have been issues when people try to run McAfee, Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials on the same computer.