PDA

View Full Version : Propane Fire Pit on Lanai?

HawkinsGuy
11-14-2022, 10:53 AM
Thinking about putting a small propane fire pit on my screened in lanai. Is this OK or should the fire pit be on the concrete pad outside the lanai?

ThirdOfFive
11-14-2022, 11:04 AM
Thinking about putting a small propane fire pit on my screened in lanai. Is this OK or should the fire pit be on the concrete pad outside the lanai?
Maybe a question for your insurance agent?

villagetinker
11-14-2022, 11:31 AM
Ours has been inside the lanai for almost 10 years, the screening in that area is almost 15 feet high.

asianthree
11-14-2022, 02:36 PM

Or from someone who actually has first hand experience.

We have a 23” height fire table, in our birdcage. No issues. Our neighbors have a square 8’ high top table with fire area in the middle. The table is under their lanai, which is standard height. They have not had any ceiling issues.

Our lanai ceiling is 10’ so we would use our fire table, but not sure about a high table top height.

Insurance wise, depends on who you have, but no where does our policy say anything about fire tables, or pits

Whitley
11-14-2022, 02:41 PM
Or from someone who actually has first hand experience.

We have a 23” height fire table, in our birdcage. No issues. Our neighbors have a square 8’ high top table with fire area in the middle. The table is under their lanai, which is standard height. They have not had any ceiling issues.

Our lanai ceiling is 10’ so we would use our fire table, but not sure about a high table top height.

Insurance wise, depends on who you have, but no where does our policy say anything about fire tables, or pits

How often do you use it?

Full-timer
11-14-2022, 02:56 PM

Why on earth would ANYONE think of putting a firepit INSIDE a living space? Do you not see ANY potential of danger from this thought?

Add to this, if an issue did arise, do you really think your insurance would cover it?

Sorry for being direct on this but.............

Full-timer
11-14-2022, 03:04 PM

Do Propane Fire Pits Give Off Carbon Monoxide? (https://upgradecamping.com/do-propane-fire-pits-give-off-carbon-monoxide/)

Whitley
11-14-2022, 03:10 PM
I am pretty sure my sister in law gives off carbon monoxide as well.

Full-timer
11-14-2022, 03:12 PM
Ours has been inside the lanai for almost 10 years, the screening in that area is almost 15 feet high.

The fact that people know this could be an issue and still do it is very disturbing.

This is how we get statistics.

You have no idea of the possible amount you are taking in and betting you don't have an operational detector.

How about you look up long term effects. Then you would understand. Or, maybe not.

Whitley
11-14-2022, 03:18 PM
Wouldn't the screened lanai be outside ? It is the backyard with a screen around it to keep bugs out. We have had propane stoves, wood burning ovens; I'd think they were more of an issue as they were inside. Delta says:You can use a gas powered fire pit in a screened in porch. That being said, ensure your fire pit is pre-approved for use by your city first. In addition, ensure the location, ventilation, flooring and ceiling height meets your fire pit manufacturers requirements. Remember, safety first always.
Another source says:
You should have no problem using a propane fire pit in a screened porch, provided that you follow the guidelines listed below:

At least three screened walls that are permanently open (windows that can be opened and closed do not count).
The open area of screened walls needs to be at least 30%.

Kelevision
11-14-2022, 03:54 PM
Why on earth would ANYONE think of putting a firepit INSIDE a living space? Do you not see ANY potential of danger from this thought?

Add to this, if an issue did arise, do you really think your insurance would cover it?

they asked about their lanai NOT an inside enclosed space.

Kelevision
11-14-2022, 03:56 PM
The fact that people know this could be an issue and still do it is very disturbing.

You have no idea of the possible amount you are taking in and betting you don't have an operational detector.

How about you look up long term effects. Then you would understand. Or, maybe not.
The fact that people don’t know the difference in outdoor lanai and inside space is also very disturbing

Bogie Shooter
11-14-2022, 04:16 PM
Do Propane Fire Pits Give Off Carbon Monoxide? (https://upgradecamping.com/do-propane-fire-pits-give-off-carbon-monoxide/)

Did you even read the link you posted?
This from the link……

Propane fire pits give off carbon monoxide, which is why they shouldn’t be used indoors without ample ventilation. Outside, the fire pit’s carbon monoxide dissipates quickly and avoids any issues as long as you’re not standing directly over the fire.

Who would stand directly over the pit?

Full-timer
11-14-2022, 04:16 PM
they asked about their lanai NOT an inside enclosed space.

If it has a permanent roof and doors to inside..............

villagetinker
11-14-2022, 04:43 PM

I should have stated BIRDCAGE and not lanai, sorry.

dewilson58
11-14-2022, 05:22 PM
How about you look up long term effects.

WE R old.............doesn't matter.

:MOJE_whot:

HawkinsGuy
11-14-2022, 06:10 PM
Thanks all. Rethinking the idea now and will probably place it on the concrete pad outside my lanai. CO scares me.

Bill14564
11-14-2022, 06:27 PM
Thanks all. Rethinking the idea now and will probably place it on the concrete pad outside my lanai. CO scares me.

You're putting it in a screened lanai where you can hear your neighbors, smell what they're cooking on the grill, get wet if it's raining, and watch your lanai ceiling fans move during a tropical storm, right? That really does not fit the description of an enclosed area.

An enclosed lanai with glass windows to keep the breeze out would be enclosed. I might be concerned about a lanai that is only open on one small end but enclosed on the other three. If I have to worry about getting wet when it rains and the wind turns my ceiling fans then I'm not worried about a buildup of CO, but that's just me.

Bogie Shooter
11-14-2022, 06:55 PM

That’s too bad…………….

Altavia
11-14-2022, 07:36 PM
You're putting it in a screened lanai where you can hear your neighbors, smell what they're cooking on the grill, get wet if it's raining and the wind blows, and watch your lanai ceiling fans move during a tropical storm, right? That really does not fit the description of an enclosed.

An enclosed lanai with glass windows to keep the breeze out would be enclosed. I might be concerned about a lanai that is only open on one small end but enclosed on the other three. But, if I have to worry about getting wet when it rains and the wind turns my ceiling fans then I'm not worried about a buildup of CO, but that's just me.

Exactly, I have one on the Lanai, no worries except when the hurricane got it wet.

tophcfa
11-14-2022, 07:38 PM
No worries, enjoy. As long as you don’t leave it unattended and the space is well ventilated then it’s all good.

EdFNJ
11-14-2022, 11:38 PM
LOL, posted in wrong topic!

bowlingal
11-15-2022, 06:04 AM
you can certainly put fire pit in your enclosed lanai if you want to burn your house down

bowlingal
11-15-2022, 06:06 AM
you can certainly put a fire pit inside your lanai if you want to burn your house down....willing to take that chance?

rstebbins
11-15-2022, 06:37 AM
If you can have a barbeque in your screened lanai, you can have a fire pit. I have a 10 foot ceiling in my lanai and don't have issues. There is a ceiling fan almost overhead. During the winter when I use the fire pit (coffee table style) I put the fan on reverse and low to keep heat away from ceiling. Have not had any issues.

sowilts
11-15-2022, 07:21 AM
We have one on our 38 x 12 lanai and it is perfect. Use it when my wife wants too. It is too warm for me. 😎

Bill14564
11-15-2022, 07:43 AM
///

midiwiz
11-15-2022, 07:48 AM

we do it all the time, if you are enclosed I'd recommend keeping it closer to a door/window that you can crack open. That would take out any propane 'overrun'

GpaVader
11-15-2022, 08:13 AM
Did you even read the link you posted?
This from the link……

Who would stand directly over the pit?

Maybe someone is roasting their chest or nuts.....

Joe C.
11-15-2022, 09:02 AM
A propane firepit in a lanai isn't any more of a hazard than a propane stove in the kitchen. Don't worry about it.

dewilson58
11-15-2022, 09:07 AM
A propane firepit in a lanai isn't any more of a hazard than a propane stove in the kitchen. Don't worry about it.

As long as "you" are buying quality.
There are a lot of junk pits out there and I would not risk my retirement home.

Pmarlow
11-15-2022, 02:42 PM
We have had one in our screened in lanai with 10’ ceilings for the last 3 years. No issues and it makes the lanai usable especially on cool nights.

Garywt
11-15-2022, 05:59 PM
Our fire pit is outside on our patio and we love it there. It is nice to sit out and enjoy a fire, look at the stars and moon etc. we did not want to deal with any possible discoloration by having the fire pit or bbq in the lanai.

Michael 61
11-15-2022, 06:01 PM

As a retired insurance claims manager, you may have a denied insurance claim from a fire loss in this situation - I wouldn’t do it.

HoosierPa
11-15-2022, 06:03 PM

The safest bet is not under lanai

kkingston57
11-15-2022, 07:55 PM

A lot of variables that need to be adressed, such as size of pit, ventiation on the lanai, locaction of the pit, type of ceiling in the lanai.

Altavia
11-15-2022, 07:58 PM
The safest bet is not under lanai

Interesting how people who have no problem driving an automobile 55+ mph on two lane county roads with no shoulders have issues with low risks...

Maker
11-16-2022, 09:05 AM
If you decide to put a fire pit or grill in an enclosed area (even a screened one) then spend a few dollars to buy a CO alarm with a digital display of the measurement. Just like the one you should have inside your home. It may read zero for a long time. The one day something with the combustion goes bad, it will alert to save your life. Also keep them away from walls and screens. I've seen lots of melted vinyl siding from grills as far as 3ft away.

ElDiabloJoe
11-16-2022, 09:49 AM
Don't let the naysayers and overly cautious people dissuade you. Some folks are scared of their own shadows. Use common sense. If you are far enough away from combustibles, and have sufficient height clearance and ventilation, you will be just fine 99 times out of 100. For reference, here's the set up I have on the lake house up north, used often and without any issue. That's a vinyl siding ceiling, FYI. It's a little more spendy than the firepit tables from Academy Sports, but this Bali I got from amazon does a very nice job. That's a standard BBQ grill propane tank in the storage underneath that fuels the magic.

https://i.imgur.com/9tvhjS5.jpg

ECPRO
11-16-2022, 10:32 AM
Restaurants do it all the time.

doctorknow
11-16-2022, 02:16 PM
A fire pit that is UL approved and/or approved for LpG should be fine either. However, things to consider in a Lanai is that do you have an enclosed Lanai or ability to shut windows? If so then you must consider the Carbon Monoxide build up with using the fire pit inside the Lanai. Also if there is a leak at the propane tank valve-Propane is heavier than air so it sinks and would be a problem for pets ...and of course any sparks from equipment etc...e.g., don't vacuum your lanai if you think there is a slow leak at the propane valve. You should be able to smell a leak as there is a sulfur smell compound that is added to the propane for detection. If in doubt as to a leak get down on the ground and sniff.
If you suspect there’s a propane leak in your home or lanai, follow these safety guidelines:

Extinguish all flames and sparks in the area.
Get everyone out of the area.
Shut off the gas supply value on your propane tank.
Report the leak to your propane supplier or take the tank to a retailer.
Remain away from the area until your supplier can check the entire system if tank not removable.

Also just a note of caution that if you leave your propane tank out in the hot summer Florida sun it will expand. Propane boils at -44 degrees fahreheit in the liquid form and when it gets hot it boils into a vapor. In the tank in the hot Florida sun the pressure increases in the enclosed space and the propane remains a liquid but wants to boil. If your tank is "old" you might want to have it checked for hydrostatic pressure. (or just swap it out using Blue Rhino).

ElLegal
11-16-2022, 05:25 PM

Had one in our birdcage for years no issues.
Not sorry for being direct on this.

dclemmons
11-17-2022, 05:25 PM
Check with the Fire Marshal. He states fire should be 20’ from house and property line.

ElDiabloJoe
11-18-2022, 10:29 AM
Check with the Fire Marshal. He states fire should be 20’ from house and property line.

Weird, in my state they want actual wood burning open-air fire pits to be at least 10 feet from the house. 20 feet with a non-smoke or spark/ember generating fire seems pretty, ummm, overly-cautious. May as well wear a seat belt when you are sitting in your car in the garage listening to the radio also. Or wear a bike helmet when on the couch watching TV.

Whitley
11-18-2022, 12:32 PM
If you decide to put a fire pit or grill in an enclosed area (even a screened one) then spend a few dollars to buy a CO alarm with a digital display of the measurement. Just like the one you should have inside your home. It may read zero for a long time. The one day something with the combustion goes bad, it will alert to save your life. Also keep them away from walls and screens. I've seen lots of melted vinyl siding from grills as far as 3ft away.

Not sure putting a co alarm outdoors will really do much. The lanais are open (screened) on three sides aren't they?