PDA

View Full Version : Leisureville

Tbugs
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
How many of you have read this book? I got it from the Sumter County library and could not stop myself from actually yelling at the book. Wow, that sounds scary!

It is a ridiculous (non-fiction) book written by some 30-something author who comes to The Villages to see why his former neighbors like the place so much. The author spends most of his time, it seems, at Katie Belle's hanging around with a guy he calls Mr. Midnight (we all probably know at least one person meeting this persona). The author bashes The Villages for it's no-children policy and makes dire predictions for the future of the place.

The bottom line, I think, is the author is jealous he cannot move here.

I am sure this has been posted and reviewed before, but let me know your thoughts and then tell me if I am crazy to yell at a book. Well, that part is optional - my wife already has her opinion.

2BNTV
11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Do a search on "Leisureville" and you will find what others think.

pooh
11-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Here's my feelings....a review I wrote on Amazon a couple of years ago about this particular book.....

I just finished reading "Leisureville." Have now lived in The Villages for 2 years. Sadly,I feel that Mr. Blechman writes as if each and every member of our community, or any retirement community or better said, age restricted community, lives as Mr. Midnight does...caring only about themselves. Some might, but that's not true for all. Is everyone friendly? There are some who aren't, but just about all are. Is it beautiful here? You bet it is and after spending years raising children, doing without, helping out, sacrificing, and putting up with, why can't people decide how to spend their time and hard earned money? It isn't parties day and night, but it is fun to spend time with people who understand you, have had similar experiences. Give me a break, a child was reprimanded for riding a skateboard in town? Most towns or shopping centers don't allow bikes or skateboard on the sidewalks. And believe me, one scolding from an adult isn't going to "sour" any child on all older citizens.

Is there ethnic diversity? Who cares? Why is that important? If someone opts to "leave the community that nurtured them" during their youth, why shouldn't they? They weren't getting a free ride, they paid taxes just as they still do in their new locales. What Mr. Blechman must now do is become a part of the community he lives in, and not leave all the work for the older adults. By the end of the book, it seems we know that he now has. Good for him. Some have made the decision to move in a different direction. People get old, they move, they die, that's life. What if his neighbors had died instead of moving? Maybe that's okay, it is part of the normal progression ...you're born, you live, you die....but apparently, you don't segregate yourself from children. He never talked about the family communities that surround The Villages. There are a number of them, one just recently finished. If I were younger, with children, I'd live there. He doesn't talk about the seniors who help at the schools. He doesn't talk about programs for the children. Heck they don't want parks to play in here, they'd rather do things with their grandparents...and they do. The Villages has brought many businesses to the area and contrary to what Mr. Blechman says, though the kids aren't running on the streets with homes, they are in the town square, they are in the stores, the shops, the restaurants. There are schools, heck we have an elementary, junior and senior high school here in our community. And he's right, there isn't a maternity ward in the hospital, other local hospitals do have them, so those who need such a ward aren't lacking.

I love children, and believe me, there are children around here. The kids love this place, too. There are activities for them, especially in the summer. My adult children love it here, also, and want to live in this community. As much as I love them, I enjoy living among my peers. What Mr. Blechman doesn't seem to understand is that these days are not like the days his Grandmother lived in....life is hectic, almost frantic....(maybe not in his quaint New England town..and I was raised in one of those quaint New England towns, too.) Today kids don't have the time or the places to play like people from our generation had.....today kids live in cars, they are driven from one place to another, from one activity to another, never getting a chance to learn to amuse themselves. They are restless...they are entertained, they don't necessarily get the chance to be children. Grandparent suggestions aren't always met with favor by some of today's parents so the endearing image of youngsters listening and learning from grandparents doesn't happen as often as one would hope, though it does here. Children spend better time with their grandparents here than I remember children spending with their nearby grandparents when I was young. Parents today might both work, they have to, life is expensive....and that's the other thing, WHY do we have to leave $$ to our children? Many people our age are still helping their children financially, as well as helping their parents. Why can't we use our money, money we earned, it wasn't "left to us," as we wish? Our generation wasn't given things, though we did give to our children when they were growing up. Maybe that wasn't such a good thing..;)

One thing all need to remember is that no one is forced to live in this community or any other retirement community. When one buys here, you are informed about what type of "government" is in place, what the rules are, and many communities have CC&R's...heck I lived with them for over 30 years in CA....you decided for yourself.

Did I enjoy the book? I read it in an afternoon, it was an easy read but I felt it didn't accurately describe a unique area in Florida. No one really can understand what this community is like without truly living here. Andrew did visit, but he didn't really get to know the community...he saw a very small number of a rather large group of people. He wasn't here when the tornado struck.....yes life went on, but those impacted were helped. Shelters were opened, no one needed them, friends took in friends. Roads were cleared, work on restoration was started immediately and I mean immediately. People united as those of community do. There were a large number of homes impacted, but considering the total number of homes that make up The Villages, it was a relatively small number....life had to go on. Money was raised to help the surrounding towns impacted. Andrew is young. He, too, will one day be older, hopefully, and maybe then he'll realize that life does continues on no matter what happens, good or bad so, why not enjoy every minute you can.

Will The Villages go the way of some other retirement communities? I hope not, it's not like any other retirement community I've ever seen. I don't believe it will. New people move in constantly...I know, I see the moving trucks go by on one of the main streets behind my lovely home each day. Would it be better run by its citizens? Not necessarily.

All in all, The Villages is a beautiful community, bringing plenty of additional tax revenue to a rather small county, as well as additional jobs for young and old. I don't regret moving here at all....traffic, crime, gangs were becoming a way of life where I lived in CA....it's nice to be able to come home to a community that's about the same size as the town I left and not worry about someone spray painting graffiti on neighborhood property or much worse and there was worse. More and more businesses are being attracted to the area, good for those of us in The Villages, good for those who live in surrounding family homes and apartments.

My review wasn't necessarily a review about Leisureville as it was a review of Andrew's mindset. Sadly, he sometimes sounds like a spoiled child, protesting that older adults are no longer there to help out...someone else is going to have to work, heaven forbid, younger people. He also points out that there is something lacking for seniors in many, many communities. Alas, this has always been the story. People are retiring at a younger age, they've worked long and hard and now want to enjoy...something their parents might not have been able to do. Parents and Grandparents probably worked till they could no longer, they missed out on many things, they sacrificed. Are we boomers selfish, hedonistic fools? I don't think so...we want to have a chance to do some of the things we've not been able to do because we were busy rearing our children, fighting for and fighting against our government, dealing with careers or professions, our jobs, saving. Let us have our time. Work hard, raise your children, love them, teach them well and when you finally feel you've worked long and hard enough, may you have the health and wealth to enjoy, no matter where you want to live.

Tbugs
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Downright excellent review, Pooh.

sands
11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Amen, sister. You go girl. :agree:

2BNTV
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Pooh:

An excellent post. :BigApplause:

People are living longer and healthier lifestyles than ever. The people who are retiring today are not of the thought pattern to sit on the sidelines and watch the parade go by.

Are we boomers selfish, hedonistic fools? IMHO - I think that every generation likes to think they are capable of doing things better than their parents.

Any reasonable child would want their parents to enjoy their remaining years.

2newyorkers
11-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I also read the book a couple of years ago. At Katie Belles I still find myself looking over the people at the bar to see if there is any high jinx going on. I also felt the author was over the top and antagonistic towards 55 and older communities.

logdog
11-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Very good review, pooh. This was one of the first books that I started reading for free on my nook at B&N. It interested me enough that I bought it. Yes, the author brought a boat load of bias. But this book gives a good history into retirement communities in general and The Villages specifically. I learned a lot from this book.

Pturner
11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
The author did not hide having made up his mind about age-restricted communities before visiting. He envisioned Mr. Midnight-- a typical writers' typecast-- before ever setting foot in TV.

He then visited TV in search of evidence supporting his preconceived contempt. His tirade against age-restricted communities was tired and ironically childish.

graciegirl
11-23-2010, 11:23 PM
Great review Pooh.
I agree P ...you nailed it.

BMill
11-24-2010, 12:00 AM
We have 2 Leisureville communities nearby - one in Pompano Beach, one in Boynton Beach. I'm sure the author has spent time in these communities and from a 30 year perspective, I think he's so negative.

There was also a movie, I think, called Boynton Beach or something like that.
Sure, I'm sure there are stereotypes but why bash a community where people are happy and content?

My husband and I visited The Villages and we found it delightful, full of life and none of what he writes about.

I don't like the negative thoughts!

eremite06
12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
A young man made a documentary type movie about a ACLF, I think located in Boynton Beach, a few years ago. It was a multi-part series possibly on PBS. My wife and I watched it and it brought tears to our eyes. The 20ish young man wanted to learn about the elderly and live their lifestyle. He became very attached to some of the residents. The dynamics of the relationships he made are unusual since the younger generation does not interelate and habitate with the older outside the family.

alemorkam
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Anyone know where midnight cowboy went?

JenAjd
02-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I haven't read the book...might do it sometime but from what is said here AND the reality that I'm living don't think I need to fill my mind with someone else's negative reality. I'm in a class where we were to make a list...on one side write the positives of our life. On the other side the negatives! GUESS WHICH list had more items listed in it and it wasn't the latter!!

Pooh, what you said says it all regarding The Villages and thank you for posting your thoughts.

We didn't check out many other places as some here have. We visited one time as a drive through and another time for the LifeStyles and made up our mind to buy and live here. It was a very attractive place to us and we haven't looked back. I really have to scratch my head when I read the negative posts here---people not liking the rules, the local laws etc. and makes me wonder why in the world did they come here then. Every community has a "dark side" if one really wants to dig. But to me TV is a clean, safe place with a plethora of opportunities available. As was stated here...there is none other like it!!

redwitch
02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I pretty much laughed my way through the book. I'm with PTurner -- Blechman's mind was made up long before he wrote the book or visited here. He found his stereotypes (and they do exist) and ignored every good thing about our wonderful community -- his loss.

And, Jen, while some of us might criticize certain aspects of TV, it doesn't mean we don't love it. We do. That doesn't mean we have to love every aspect of TV, but I'm sure those that don't like the rules (count me in there, but there was a simple solution -- don't move south of 466), the laws, etc. have found so much to love here that they really can't conceive living anywhere else. It's kind of like I love my cat but I really, really hate when she coughs up a furball.

mulligan
02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Mrs mulligan and I both read it after our first visit, and have been there twice since. I have to believe that the book was a bit toungue-in cheek.

Tom Hannon
02-28-2011, 06:19 AM
I want to read Leisureville just to get an idea what Blechman is mumbling about but wish not to give him the satifaction of earning royalties for his rant about a retirement community he never lived in. Anyone I know have the book lying around. I'd like to borrow it for a week or two.

jblum8156
02-28-2011, 06:25 AM
I want to read Leisureville just to get an idea what Blechman is mumbling about but wish not to give him the satifaction of earning royalties for his rant about a retirement community he never lived in. Anyone I know have the book lying around. I'd like to borrow it for a week or two.
I'm pretty sure you can get it from the library.

Tom Hannon
02-28-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get it from the library.

Good idea. I'm going there anyway to attend a writers group a week from Tuesday.

Tom Hannon
02-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Pooh said the book was easy reading and she read it in an afternoon. I went on Amazon and ordered a used book for $4.70.
Sounds like the perfect book to read on my flight back to The Villages.

ssmith
02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
to Florida 30years ago so...I was 30 years younger and could not understand it!!! Now that I am older and have been to TV I sure have changed my mind.

It is great that others decide differently but I have neighbors up North that sit in their houses and no one visits. Where are the kids? Well they have moved on. Not that they don't love Mom and Dad but they are busy. It is not the Walton's anymore. Now I know this is not true for everyone but I know it will be for my kids. It is neither good or bad... it is what it is. I don't want to be one of those that sits with nothing to do all day. So maybe Mr Blechman will have a different idea when he ages/matures a little.

pooh
02-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Pooh said the book was easy reading and she read it in an afternoon. I went on Amazon and ordered a used book for $4.70.
Sounds like the perfect book to read on my flight back to The Villages.
You'll have the book finished before you get here, Tom!
Have a great flight and welcome back home!

quidam65
03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I purchased the book on Amazon as part of my research into The Villages.

Blechman has this fixation with people smoking (at least three references, including his own use of pot on one visit; what does that add to anything) and he was clearly trying to find unhappy residents as a portrayal of how bad The Villages is.

Blechman also mentions how senior communities were exempt from the laws that eliminated the "adult only" apartment complexes, and how the original intent of the law was to exempt only long-term care facilities, but the "senior lobby" managed to carve an exemption for ALL senior communities (the "80 percent rule"), and later when it was discovered that there was a "loophole" that places like Sun City and The Villages were able to claim their amenities under the provisions of the law, another law was passed that eliminated the requirement for certain amenities.

Blechman's dislike of the law is very clear throughout his book. It violates his view that somehow we are all obligated to live among and associate with other people, whether we want to or not, for the good of the "community" (in order words, collectivism over individualism).

Blechman does bring out some history about the senior community phenomenon and about the Schwartz/Morse family started the development (I always wondered how father and son had different surnames), and there are legit concerns about how one company can essentially operate its own government.

If you do buy it find a cheap paperback copy online somewhere. Note the paperback copy is an updated edition of the hardback copy (I accidentally bought both versions, not knowing they were the same book).

Tom Hannon
03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
You'll have the book finished before you get here, Tom!
Have a great flight and welcome back home!

I like it when you call TV "HOME." I've been there a total of three weeks and I feel like it is my home. All my neighbors have been trading emails with me and I keep in touch with everyone else on TOTV. The only TOTV person I've met so far is Redwith. Hope to meet the rest of the gang soon. And Pooh... you may be right. An hour at the airport, two and a half hours in the air, and another hour and half with the Village Limo should give me plenty of time to read Leisureville.

rubicon
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Read the book when it was first published and was aware it was on its way as I had the opportunity to meet "the neighbors" once when playing golf with them. I believe there are valid points made by the author. Prospective buyers are made aware of the type of government that exists here. However, what they are not aware of are the hidden nuances associated with this government. Understandably most people who move here seek quiet and simple lives free of negative thoughts and focusing on the remainder of their lives. But what I question is when is complaining, just someone's negativity vis a vis someone advancing a valid concern. For example valid issues raised by the POA such as the siding issue, roofing issue, hospital IRS/Bond issue were met by people submitting letters to the editors alleging that the POA was just argumentative. Should we all just ignore failings by The Villages? Should we all just ride around The Villages in our golf carts with disney dust clouding our vision? And if there exists serious infractions shoudn't we speak up if for no other reason than to protect the lifestyle we all so cherish. This is my personal viewpoint and welcome members view which may cause to to alter my opinion. By the way Mr. Midnight is real and thriving.

katezbox
03-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Excellent posts,all. I had read bits and pieces before, but just downloaded this to read on my most recent trip.

Pooh wrote such a wonderful review, but as I was reading Lesuireville, a couple of thoughts stuck with me...

1. His comments on the Morse family and government were riddled with hyperbole, but like many journalists today, that seems to be par for the course.

2. He makes no mention of all the "grands" returning "home" to visit the little ones. No, he seems to want grandparents to live near their grandchildren. I have no grandchildren yet, but with one child in Boston and the other in Atlanta, I think it would be hard to do...

3. An elderly relative of my former husband lives in Sun City West. There children are only allowed to use the pools (and only some of them) for 1 -2 hours daily. Here there are pools specifically built to accommodate visiting families.

4. He seems way too fixated on the singles scene at KB's, etc., no to mention a wo/man struggling with a trans-gender identity. Why include this in the story at all? If he wanted to include interviews with same-sex couples, I would understand completely....as there are many here. But how many men awaiting sex change operations would you think are in TV? Keep in mind that even 1% would be more than 80!

k