PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Cubs Talk

JohnN
09-01-2008, 06:07 PM
well, c'mon, it COULD happen this year

marianne237
09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
I love the Cubs too.....but it is September.

chuckinca
09-02-2008, 01:02 AM
well, c'mon, it COULD happen this year

Don't hold your breath.

JohnN
09-02-2008, 01:19 AM
chuck, can't hold my breath that long, it's not that important LOLOL
however, I do say a little prayer

zcaveman
09-02-2008, 03:05 AM
I think the Cubs have a real good chance. I will be rooting for them on the NL side and the Tampa Bay Rays on the AL side.

Should they both make the World Series, I have to go for the Rays since I am an AL fan. Unless the dreaded Red Sox Nation gets in (fat chance) then I am for the Cubs.

JohnN
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
zcaveman, I grew up near Comiskey Park (White Sox) so I'm truly a White Sox fan, but also a Chicago fan.

Somehow, even with a good team, the Cubbies fold at some point, it's just understood.
But I'll root for my teams anyway.

But I like the Rays and Red Sox too. Good luck.

chelsea24
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Being born and raised in Chicago, I have to say that all Chicago Fans are extremely loyal. They come out in all kinds of weather, whether their team is winning or on a losing streak. Once a Cub fan, always a Cub fan. Do any of you remember the popular bar across the street from the the ballpark called "The Cubbie Bear". Some wonderful times there.

So, go Cubs! 040 040 040 I'll love'em whether they win or lose! :#1:

Sally Jo
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes, I remember the bar. My husband says we should go to Chicago, if the Cubs make the World Series, even if we can't get tickets. The atmosphere will be something. Would love to watch the games at one of the bars, by Wrigley.

JohnN
09-02-2008, 03:36 PM
if the Cubs make the world series, ANY Chicago bar will be hoppin'

*fingers crossed*

marianne237
09-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Even sitting at the Billy Goat would be something special!

Sally Jo
09-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Cubbies clinch their division!!! GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!!!

JohnN
09-24-2008, 11:43 AM
time to start singing the Go Cubs Go song,
at least til the playoffs start

macgolfnut
10-06-2008, 12:15 AM
I am so depressed! :( I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life and I honestly thought that this might be the year, but the Cubs probably played the worst series all year in the first round of playoffs. I can second guess Pinella and complain about people like Soriano and Ramirez, but I am numb. Oh well, at least the Bears won today. :)

JohnN
10-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Ouch

SteveZ
10-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Ouch

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_cubs.shtml

There's always next year....

chuckinca
10-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Right - there's always next year if you're a Cubs Fan; cause it sure ain't gonna be this year!

chelsea24
10-07-2008, 09:04 AM
awww, well. Once a Cub fan always a Cub fan. Maybe next year. Hope springs eternal. :eclipsee_gold_cup:

JohnN
10-07-2008, 09:16 AM
holding my little Cubs pennant in one hand and White Sox pennant in the other

:(:(

WSOX47
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
We all were humbled a bit by the outcomes this week. If both made it to the Series, I could not imagine the town here. Alas. not to be, even partially.

Look at the surviving NL line-ups: see a number of fairly recent ex-Cubbies, and a stray Ex-WSOXer as well. Not sure what that really means, however.

Need to shift gears and Cubbie & WSOX fans close ranks to back Da Bears now. ( I think Chciago halso has a Hockey & Babskeball Pro teams, but not certain what towns they play in)

Taltarzac
04-25-2009, 04:28 AM
http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/9808

No this is not April Fool's Day.

JohnN
04-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Oh, somehow, the cubbies will find a way out of this dire predicament
too much pressure ... LOL

chuckinca
12-04-2010, 12:16 AM
The famous and much loved Chicago Cubs 3rd baseman passed today at age 70.

HawkeyeBarb
12-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Heard the sad news of Ron Santo's passing yesterday on the news. Very sad for Ron's family and the whole Cub Nation....actually, now that I think about it....sad for baseball fans everywhere. I am not a Cubs fan by any means. In fact, I would listen to Ron and Pat Hughes on the radio from our home here in West Lafayette, IN just to hear Ron's comments and anticdotes while I was rooting for the Cubbies to go down big. Ron was a great inspiration to those with diabetes and I know he has raised countless thousands of dollars for his cause. I do feel like a legend has passed. Wish he would've gotten into The Hall while he was with us.
RIP Ron. You will be missed by this White Sox fan.

KathieI
12-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Sorry to hear this. I don't know who he is, but I'm sure he was a great guy and will be missed by his fans... RIP Ron!!

BobKat1
12-04-2010, 09:59 AM
As you can imagine, there has been a lot of coverage on local TV about Ron's passing, especially on WGN.

It's been nice to see footage of when he was playing and inteviews with some of his former team mates and other players. Ernie Banks, Fergie Jenkins, Mark Grace, Johnny Bench and others. A different era.

Chi-Town
12-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I liked him as a player and a broadcaster. He wore his emotions on his sleeve and truly loved the game. RIP Ron.

Schaumburger
12-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Ron Santo was a class act. I grew up in a Cubs house and saw him play when I went to my first game at Wrigley Field when I was about 10. I think Wrigley Field used to serve Ron Santo pizzas in the late 1960's/early 1970's.
Ron Santo had his name on a chain of restaurants in the Chicago area about 15 years ago, but I believe they are all closed now. I used to eat at the Ron Santo's in Schaumburg near my home and always enjoyed my meal.

Yesterday late morning I called my dad (lifetime Cubs fan) thinking he had already heard the news...he hadn't, and I think he took it kind of hard.

Ron raised a lot of money over the years for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Too bad he never made it to the Hall of Fame while he was alive. A few years ago, Ron's son made a video of his father's story...This Old Cub, which is a great DVD.

Ron's wake and funeral will be held at Holy Name Cathedral on the near north side of Chicago this coming Thursday and Friday. The place will be packed.

He will be missed.

FMF Doc
12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I heard his annual fund raising walks raised over $40 million. RIP

TJ CHICAGO
12-05-2010, 05:39 AM
I was a 10 year season-ticket holder. When I went to the game, I always brought my radio to listen to Ron's commentary about the Cub's game. Ron was a great man and loved Chicago. He will be missed by everyone!

Sally Jo
12-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I read the devastating news early Friday morning, on the Chicago Tribune website. As a life long Cun fan I saw him play many times. So sorry he didn't make the Hall of Fame. It was a real slap in the face. He deserved better.
HawkeyeBarb, I have been to West Lafayette twice this year, for Purdue games. Hope to get there once more for a basketball game. I assume you are an Iowa Hawkeye fan. At least they come to town every so often.

HawkeyeBarb
12-06-2010, 06:27 AM
I was wondering if any of the baseball fans in the Chicago area that post on TOTV will be going to the wake or funeral of Ron Santo. I would be interested in what that was like. I am sure "the bleachers" will be full...
Yes, Sally Jo, I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan having been born in Cedar Rapids. Hubby is a Purdue grad tho, so it can get "fun" here at our house during the various Big Ten seasons!Football season is always fun...basketball season can be painfull for me (HA!) but the Hawkeye wrestlers make up for it!!!!
Back to another sporting question....
Last I heard they were divorcing....but according to the promo video from TV, Nancy Lopez and Ray Knight supposedly have a home in TV. Has any one actually seen either one of them in TV...either on a golf course or a ball field? Just curious.
Will be thinking of the Santo family and Cub fans everywhere.

BobKat1
12-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi HawkeyeBarb. My wife and I are both from Cedar Rapids. We moved to Davenport and then to the Chicago YEARS ago.

I still follow the Hawkeyes though.

HawkeyeBarb
12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi, BobKat1. Great to know there are Hawkeye fans out there! Am hoping for lots of fun times with fellow Hawks when we get to TV.
Have to ask....did you go to school in CR? We moved away from there in 1978. Have lived in Tennessee, Georgia and now Indiana for the past 24 years.
Once a Hawkeye....always a Hawkeye, tho!

JUREK
12-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I have NOT been a Cubs fan for years . However I have been a Ron Santo fan as long as I remember. Great guy. RIP.:eclipsee_gold_cup:

BobKat1
12-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi, BobKat1. Great to know there are Hawkeye fans out there! Am hoping for lots of fun times with fellow Hawks when we get to TV.
Have to ask....did you go to school in CR? We moved away from there in 1978. Have lived in Tennessee, Georgia and now Indiana for the past 24 years.
Once a Hawkeye....always a Hawkeye, tho!

Yes, we both went to school in C.R. Washington HS for my wife and Regis HS for me. We moved away around '74 or so. We love TV, but don't know if it's in the cards for a move. :(

Sally Jo
12-06-2010, 12:59 PM
HAWKEYEBARB, Yes, Nancy has a home here in TV. Both she and Ray have been around. Ray has done softball clinics and she gives lessons, plus has a charity event. We have seen her at restaurants, several times. I, also, heard that they were getting divorced.

2BNTV
12-06-2010, 01:39 PM
My condolences to the Ron Santo family, friends, colleagues, and to the entire Cub nation.

It's always sad when someone who was a great ballplayer dies before he got inducted into the Hall of Fame.

RIP Ron.

FMF Doc
12-09-2010, 05:58 PM
http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-ron-santo-visitation-dec09,0,3958832.story

Taltarzac725
04-22-2012, 02:38 PM
I know, I know. But why not reach for the moon. Or, in this case would it be Neptune?

Cubs in the World Series in 2012. Seems to have been more than a 100 years since they won a World Series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1127430-2012-mlb-predictions-all-30-teams-odds-of-winning-the-world-series#/articles/1127430-2012-mlb-predictions-all-30-teams-odds-of-winning-the-world-series/page/8

thegranman
01-09-2013, 06:38 AM
I'm a diehard Cub fan since 1950. This is the 2nd time (last time being 1969) in all these years that I have a good feeling for the future as Theo and gang seem to be doing the right things to get this franchise in the best direction. It will be fun to see the next few years if he can mold this team into a championship mode. Am I crazy or what?

gocubsgo
01-09-2013, 08:08 AM
I love my Cubbies, as you can tell by my name!

Cisco Kid
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
This was sent to me from one of my buds

2BNTV
01-09-2013, 12:11 PM
My favorite National league team. Now, to win a World Series in my lifetime.

Good old Steve Bartman.

justjim
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm a diehard Cub fan since 1950. This is the 2nd time (last time being 1969) in all these years that I have a good feeling for the future as Theo and gang seem to be doing the right things to get this franchise in the best direction. It will be fun to see the next few years if he can mold this team into a championship mode. Am I crazy or what?

:posting: Last great chance to make it to the Series was 2003 if my memory is correct. The "reach over the wall" and muff a routine ground ball scene that hints of the "billy goat curse". I have been a Cub Fan sense Harry started doing the Cubbie games. Yep, really do dislike the "fair weather" Cardinal fans! Win or lose we love our CUBS.

Schaumburger
01-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Please God, let the Cubs at least make it to the World Series while my dad is still with us to enjoy this miraculous event! He turns 83 in a few months...please make the Cubs win soon. :pray:

Chi-Town
01-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Baseball lost a true gentleman yesterday. Ernie Banks, hall of famer and two time MVP will be missed. "Let's play two" showed his love for the game.

chuckinca
01-24-2015, 01:03 PM
He was the greatest!

2BNTV
01-24-2015, 01:42 PM
A very nice, enthusiastic, gentleman. One of the great slugging shortstops.

RIP - Erniie

redwitch
01-24-2015, 02:06 PM
I can't believe he's dead. He's still thirty something, still playing and smiling in my mind's eye. I don't think I ever someone love the game as much as he. May baseball find more like this man. A class act all the way. RIP

Schaumburger
01-24-2015, 03:02 PM
It was quite a shock to hear of Mr. Cub's passing last night. This story has dominated the Chicago news since then. I only got to see him play a couple of times towards the of his career when my dad and I traveled to Chicago to see the Cubs play. He was quite a trail blazer and a true gentleman.

One Chicago radio host said this morning: "Ron Santo is now showing Ernie Banks around the clubhouse at that great baseball stadium in the sky."

MarkinMd
01-24-2015, 05:38 PM
I wish he could have played in a World Series.

redwitch
01-24-2015, 06:24 PM
I wish he could have played in a World Series.

It would have been nice but when the Cubbies do finally make it, you know Ernie will be rooting his team on and maybe his ghost will be fielding a ball or two.

Polar Bear
01-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Probably loved by more fans of other teams than any other player I can think of. It'll be double headers for him from now on...and he deserves the best.

Yung Dum
01-24-2015, 06:46 PM
It's a shame a great player like Ernie never had a good team around him. I've always felt that he and Ralph Kiner deserved better. R.I.P. to a class act.

Chi-Town
03-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Chicago's first black major league baseball player, Orestes "Minnie" Minoso, passed away this morning. He was an exciting player to watch. He could hit with power but still lay down a bunt. Quick in the outfield and on the bases also. RIP Minnie.

GolfGirl122
03-01-2015, 10:47 AM
Mr. White Sox - RIP

2BNTV
03-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Another great Chicago baseball player passing.

RIP - Minnie

John_W
03-01-2015, 12:26 PM
The name Minnie Minoso brings back memories because of a game played on June 10, 1959. I can remember the date because it was a game in which Indian Rocky Colavito hit 4 homeruns.

Growing up in Baltimore and a big O's fan, my dad told me we were moving to Florida that fall. It didn't come as a big shock because every summer we took our vacation to Florida. We made our last trip to see an Orioles game that June 10, 1959 against the Cleveland Indians. We sat in the left field bleachers at old Memorial Stadium, the Orioles home from 1954 until Camden Yards opened in 1992.

The whole game our section razed leftfielder Minnie Minoso. He never gave anybody any notice no matter how loud the chants and crowd got. Rocky Colavito was having a career day with 4 home runs. Infielder Billy Martin of the Indians got thrown out for arguing with the home plate umpire.

With all the runs being scored by both teams, final score was Indians winners 11-8, Minnie got up late in the game and socked a homerun in our direction. The next time he took leftfield we all started razing him again, and somebody said where did you get all the power from. Minnie finally turned around to the leftfield fans, and flexed his left arm and pointed to his muscle. I never forgot that day at Memorial Stadium with my late father.

You can see the Indians had quite a lineup that day with the likes of Vic Power, Tito Francona, Rocky Colavito, Minnie Minoso and Billy Martin.

Cleveland Indians
Name Pos AB R H RBI

Woodie Held ss 5 1 1 0
Vic Power 1b 4 1 0 0
Tito Francona cf 5 2 2 1
Rocky Colavito rf 4 5 4 6
Minnie Minoso lf 5 1 3 3
Willie Jones 3b 3 0 0 0
George Stickland 3b 2 0 1 0
Dick Brown c 4 0 1 0
Billy Martin 2b 3 1 1 1
a-Ray Webster ph 1 0 0 0
Gary Bell p 3 0 0 0
Mike Garcia p 1 0 0 0
Totals 40 11 13 11

ohiogolf
03-01-2015, 12:41 PM
June 10 is my birthday and as a young Tribe fan living in Cleveland that night lives in my memory. I met The Rock in the 70s and thanked him for one of the best birthday presents.

Minnie was always fun to watch. I can still mimic his batting stance. He was a great member of the Tribe as well as the White Sox.

Chi-Town
03-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Here's a 1959 baseball card image:

Chi-Town
04-06-2015, 07:59 AM
A friend of mine sent this last night. He is disturbed by the loss of purity to historic Wrigley Field due to the Jumbotron. It is quite a contrast to the old fashioned scoreboard.50012

redwitch
04-06-2015, 09:30 AM
The purist in me winces to see it. The realist kind of understands why it was done.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
04-06-2015, 10:08 AM
They've done the same thing to Fenway Park. They've made several changes and upgrades over the years. They have a jumbotron there but they still have the old manual scoreboard. You get used to it in a very short time and if done right, the new blends nicely with the old.

Taltarzac725
04-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Bloomberg Businessweek (US) - Coverjunkie.com (http://www.coverjunkie.com/blog/bloomberg-businessweek-us/11/16555)

I will have to show this cover to my father a very long term Chicago Cubs fan. He has been waiting and waiting and waiting for that World Series win.

marianne237
04-07-2015, 06:27 PM
One of the items I brought we me when we moved here is my dad's Cubs baseball hat.

Love to wear it so my diehard neighbor (a Reds fan)goes nuts when he sees it.

As we say in Chicagoland "this is da year".

justjim
10-07-2015, 08:00 PM
zcaveman, I grew up near Comiskey Park (White Sox) so I'm truly a White Sox fan, but also a Chicago fan.

Somehow, even with a good team, the Cubbies fold at some point, it's just understood.
But I'll root for my teams anyway.

But I like the Rays and Red Sox too. Good luck.

Cubs didn't fold this year. A young team that has won last 8 games going into playoff with the Pirates. Look out this really could be the year!

Cubs/Cardinal series would be special. :posting:

bagboy
10-07-2015, 10:03 PM
Congrats to the Cubs, quite a pitching performance. Arrieta has Cy Young written all over him. Cubs/Cardinals division series up next.

Schaumburger
10-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Go Cubs Go! Right after 10:00 p.m. tonight the streets around Wrigley Field were filled with jubilant Cubs fans. Could this be the year? Fingers crossed -- my father was 15 years old the last time the Cubs went to the World Series in 1945, so I am hoping for his sake that this is the Cubs year. For the Cubs to go to the World Series would really make this year a good one for him.

Chi-Town
10-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Having #14 on their uniforms is a good sign...

Schaumburger
10-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Having #14 on their uniforms is a good sign...

Ernie Banks and Ron Santo are looking down from that baseball diamond in the sky and smiling... :thumbup:

Nucky
10-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Thing's could be way worse. You could be a Yankee fan...shut out in a one game playoff...George Steinbrenner must be on a rotisserie in his grave. Then we have the NY Giant's who hand over the first game of the season to Dallas...before it happened I gave Ms. Priscilla the script of how they were gonna hand the game over to Dallas. Now for the entire balance of the football season I have to hear about it from my kids & friends. I'm changing to all Florida teams once we move....except the Yank's just can't give those bums up.

Chi-Town
10-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Thing's could be way worse. You could be a Yankee fan...shut out in a one game playoff...George Steinbrenner must be on a rotisserie in his grave. Then we have the NY Giant's who hand over the first game of the season to Dallas...before it happened I gave Ms. Priscilla the script of how they were gonna hand the game over to Dallas. Now for the entire balance of the football season I have to hear about it from my kids & friends. I'm changing to all Florida teams once we move....except the Yank's just can't give those bums up.
Chicago Cubs thread?

Bonnevie
10-08-2015, 07:52 AM
My son and I used to go to the Rays games and were always in awe at what Joe Maddon was able to do with little money and young players. Glad to see he still has the magic touch to have a winning team. Will be for Cubs just for Joe.

Chi-Town
10-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Jake Arrieta, winning pitcher last night at locker room celebration. Looks like pro wrestling could be his next career. [emoji6]

2BNTV
10-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Jake Arrietta gave a dominate performance........ nuff said.

I never thought Pittsburg would survive the one game playoff, with Jake going for the Cubbies.

MY sentimental favorite for the World Series.

GO CUBBIES!!!!!

justjim
10-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Cubs looked a little "flat" as they lose first playoff game to Cardinals. Maybe a little too much celebration following the wild card game. Good pitching by the Cards.

justjim
10-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Big W ----advantage Cubs. Barring black cat plague, fan interference or the billy goat curse they have a very good chance to down a Bird! Go Cubs!

Schaumburger
10-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Big W ----advantage Cubs. Barring black cat plague, fan interference or the billy goat curse they have a very good chance to down a Bird! Go Cubs!

:BigApplause::BigApplause:

justjim
10-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Come on Cub fans. Let's hear it for the Cubbies! The game is at 5:07 CDT today. Lots of pressure on Jake but I have Believe he can handle it.

Schaumburger
10-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Come on Cub fans. Let's hear it for the Cubbies! The game is at 5:07 CDT today. Lots of pressure on Jake but I have Believe he can handle it.

Go Cubs Go. Go Cubs Go. Hey Chicago what do you say? The Cubs are going to win today!

Lyrics by Steve Goodman

justjim
10-12-2015, 09:24 PM
It's a W ----Jake Arrieta didn't have his best "stuff" but good enough. 6 home riuns by the Cubs set a major league post season record in the 8/6 win.

Chi-Town
10-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Chi-Town
10-13-2015, 08:30 PM

Nucky
10-13-2015, 08:47 PM
The CUBS win....I'm so happy for their fans...they certainly earned it all. I hope they win the whole thing.....I was going for the METS...NOT. CUBS all the way!

CFrance
10-13-2015, 09:01 PM
So glad the Cubbies beat the Cards. :-) (Not so glad they beat the Buccos, but oh well... :-( )

Hope the Cubs go all the way!

jgm3279
10-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Harry would be proud!

BS Beef
10-13-2015, 09:28 PM
I love the Cubbies but was torn whether I was rooting for them or against the Cardinals. I need to figure out how to get up to Chicago for the next series to enjoy an Old Style. :beer3:

dbussone
10-13-2015, 09:36 PM
I love the Cubbies but was torn whether I was rooting for them or against the Cardinals. I need to figure out how to get up to Chicago for the next series to enjoy an Old Style. :beer3:

There are 14 daily direct or one-stop flights on SouthWest from Orlando to Midway! :)

justjim
10-14-2015, 11:22 AM
With all the injuries the Cardinals had, it really helped the Cubs in this series. This is just a Cub fan giving some respect to the Cardinals. The "young guns" of the Cubs just would not be denied. Go Cubs go! Bring on the Dodgers or the Mets.

Schaumburger
10-14-2015, 11:27 AM
When the Cubs clinched last night, the local ABC, NBC, CBS affiliates and WGN interrupted their regular broadcasts from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. to broadcast the celebrations from Wrigley Field. It was quite a wonderful sight to see.

Now it is on the LA or New York this Saturday!

justjim
10-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Our Son was there----great Experence! I even came out of my lazy boy recliner. It's been a long time coming for us patient Cub Fans.

Schaumburger
10-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Our Son was there----great Experence! I even came out of my lazy boy recliner. It's been a long time coming for us patient Cub Fans.

It has been a long wait. The last time the Cubs were in the World Series in 1945 my dad was 15, and he's not getting any younger...

marianne237
10-17-2015, 04:24 PM
GO CUBS!!! What else is there to say?

Fredwms
10-17-2015, 05:54 PM
The 1989 movie "Back to the Future II" starring Michael J. Fox predicted that the Chicago Cubs would win the World Series in 2015. Food for thought?

:bigbow:

CFrance
10-17-2015, 06:29 PM
The 1989 movie "Back to the Future II" starring Michael J. Fox predicted that the Chicago Cubs would win the World Series in 2015. Food for thought?

All right! Works for me.

Meanwhile, Toronto and KC just had a terrific game. I love the playoffs.

justjim
10-19-2015, 07:29 AM
the 1989 movie "back to the future ii" starring michael j. Fox predicted that the chicago cubs would win the world series in 2015. Food for thought?

ok guys, enough celebrating knocking off the cardinals, time to get back to work!

Taltarzac725
10-19-2015, 07:36 AM
ok guys, enough celebrating knocking off the cardinals, time to get back to work!

I hope they get re-energized soon. My Dad has been waiting since birth for a Cub's World Series win. That was in 1931 that he was born near Chicago.

tomwed
10-19-2015, 07:40 AM
Can the games be watched online? if so, how so?

Taltarzac725
10-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Can the games be watched online? if so, how so?

Cubs vs. Mets 2015 live stream: Time, TV schedule and how to watch NLCS Game 2 online - SBNation.com (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/10/18/9562463/mets-cubs-2015-online-streaming-time-tv-schedule-nlcs-game-2)

They will probably be on TBS.com.

tomwed
10-19-2015, 08:05 AM
Cubs vs. Mets 2015 live stream: Time, TV schedule and how to watch NLCS Game 2 online - SBNation.com (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/10/18/9562463/mets-cubs-2015-online-streaming-time-tv-schedule-nlcs-game-2)

They will probably be on TBS.com.
The app is free but is the game for free? I realize I should have asked if there was a way to watch it for free online.
I had the same problem with the Women's World Cup but figured out how I could watch it in German or Spanish for free. That wasn't perfect but good enough.

update
I think it might work and it might be for free. The app reviews are not very promising.

Schaumburger
10-19-2015, 09:51 PM
I hope they get re-energized soon. My Dad has been waiting since birth for a Cub's World Series win. That was in 1931 that he was born near Chicago.

My dad feels your dad's pain.

DeanFL
10-21-2015, 07:50 AM
Oh well. Old cubbie fan here - even tho I grew up on Southwestside.

Re the Back to the Future II movie and "Cubbies Win WS"... the scene was set to be Oct 21 2015.

But now it appears it was actually April Fool's Day 2015. more waiting... and of course it HAD to be the Mets...

justjim
10-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Maybe next year---keep swinging and never give up! Congrats to the NY Mets.

Taltarzac725
10-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Maybe next year---keep swinging and never give up! Congrats to the NY Mets.

It has been a while for them too for winning a World Series. Since I started law school at the U of MN in 1986. They were up against the Yankees in the 2000 Subway Series which they lost.

tomwed
10-22-2015, 10:37 AM
When I think of Cubs Fans I think of Charlie Brown kicking a field goal while Lucy holds the ball.

Taltarzac725
10-22-2015, 12:11 PM
When I think of Cubs Fans I think of Charlie Brown kicking a field goal while Lucy holds the ball.

They have come close a number of times. Chicago does have happier fans in the Bears, Blackhawks, and the Bulls.

justjim
10-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Murphy Some coincidence! Daniel Murphy of the NY Mets hits six home runs in six playoff games setting a major league post game record and almost single handed beat the Cubs. The owner of Billy Goat Tavern in 1945 put a curse on the Cubs because he was told to leave Wrigley and take his goat named MURPHY with him.

You decide what this means---some coincidence. Thus, the billy goat curse lives on!

Chi-Town
10-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Wow. What a disappointing series. My expectations were so sky high for exciting Cubs baseball. Oh well, wait till next year.

justjim
10-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Wow. What a disappointing series. My expectations were so sky high for exciting Cubs baseball. Oh well, wait till next year.

All Cub fans were hopeful after 97 Wins during the regular season. The best thing that came out of the playoffs was the Cubs win over the Cardinals. There seemed to be a "let down" after the Cubs/Cardinals series.

However, give the NY Mets credit----they played better and deserved to win. :ho:

Nucky
10-22-2015, 05:40 PM
I was rooting for the CUBS because the fans deserve a win. Damn have a heart give these people a break. Maybe....you know the rest. Sorry Chi-town. Mets suck anyway. Gonna get their butts handed to them now.

Chi-Town
10-23-2015, 09:57 AM
I was rooting for the CUBS because the fans deserve a win. Damn have a heart give these people a break. Maybe....you know the rest. Sorry Chi-town. Mets suck anyway. Gonna get their butts handed to them now.
Thanks for the consoling. It's been a long time.

billj
10-23-2015, 09:13 PM
No way the Cubs will ever win, the goat is in charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schaumburger
10-24-2015, 03:19 AM

I agree. Sorry Dad -- got to wait until next year! :cry:

CFrance
10-24-2015, 08:19 AM
The Cubs have a good young team. Just you wait.

Schaumburger
10-24-2015, 04:32 PM
The Cubs have a good young team. Just you wait.

That's what my Dad said. 101 wins (including playoffs) compared to 73 wins last year. Huge improvement!

Chi-Town
10-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Fun time in the City by the Bay

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/70df8c70ca18c5af954117804a887970.jpg

Taltarzac725
10-12-2016, 01:00 PM
My father has been waiting all his life for the Cubs to win the World Series. I do hope it happens for him this Season.

John_W
10-12-2016, 02:35 PM
That ninth inning last night was worth staying up for, that was the largest comeback in playoff history. Three runs, you would of thought more. What really made a difference from the previous night, was being able to score that 4th go ahead run and Maddon could bring in his closer, who never threw a pitch under 100mph.

After tying the score, then came the bunt, the pitcher made a perfect throw to get the lead runner at 2nd, but that relay to first killed the Giants. The Cubs still got their man on second base in scoring position. That made all the difference in world not having to go to extra innings with the Giants getting more at bats.

kellyjam
10-12-2016, 02:59 PM
From a Die Hard Met fan whose team has caused Cub fans so much anguish it is time to end the drought. Go Cubs

Ron Santo and Ernie Banks are looking for bragging rights up in Heaven.

Nucky
10-12-2016, 04:43 PM
For Chi-Town, For Zcaveman, For Chicago, For Tal's Dad, please let them catch a break this year.

2BNTV
10-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Cubbies are my NL team. I hope they go all the way!!!

After all, it's been 108 years and that's along time between drinks!

Chi-Town
10-13-2016, 11:40 AM
For Chi-Town, For Zcaveman, For Chicago, For Tal's Dad, please let them catch a break this year.
Thanks. Go Cubs.

Schaumburger
10-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Thanks. Go Cubs.

For my 86 year old Dad who has been a Cubs fan since he was a kid...the last time the Cubs were in the World Series was 1945 when he was 15. Go Cubs Go !!!

justjim
10-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Go Cubs for all the Central Illinois fans.

Nucky
10-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Hey Hey, how exciting! Here is a town that could use a World Series Win! Congratulations to all!

DeanFL
10-22-2016, 10:30 PM
The future may be arriving...

Schaumburger
10-22-2016, 10:34 PM
The Chicago Cubs win the National League pennant! #FlyTheW!

So happy for the people of Chicago and the long suffering Cubs fans all over the US, especially my dad -- the last time the Cubs were in the World Series my dad was 15. Go Cubs Go!

:BigApplause:

shighsmi
10-22-2016, 11:26 PM
GO Cubs GO!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow:

Taltarzac725
10-23-2016, 03:24 AM
The Chicago Cubs win the National League pennant! #FlyTheW!

So happy for the people of Chicago and the long suffering Cubs fans all over the US, especially my dad -- the last time the Cubs were in the World Series my dad was 15. Go Cubs Go!

:BigApplause:

My Dad is 85 and he will be celebrating when he wakes up tomorrow to the news. The Cubs were winning when he went to bed but they went past his bedtime.

Now if they can just beat the Cleveland Indians and get that World Series Title.

Go Cubs Go!

Chi-Town
10-23-2016, 09:53 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161023/2703fe79a33bc06f0a7c60a1945be0d1.jpg

2BNTV
10-23-2016, 12:45 PM
$ more games to win and that will end the "curse of the billy goat"!

Go Cubbies!!!

Chi-Town
10-24-2016, 03:45 PM
The Art Institute of Chicago has Cub fever.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161024/6845907f9bf294d99937b1a9626b058b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Chi-Town
10-25-2016, 11:25 AM
The Field Museum of Natural History has Cub fever.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161025/9adee380f218924826e193723cf21732.jpg

LitespeedRider
10-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Yes, I remember the bar. My husband says we should go to Chicago, if the Cubs make the World Series, even if we can't get tickets. The atmosphere will be something. Would love to watch the games at one of the bars, by Wrigley.

I checked - you can go from Sanford to Rockford (both ways) for right at $130.00 per ticket (then a $20 bus to Union Station). Or for right at $900.00 you can take Southwest from MCO to MDW..

Chi-Town
10-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Fun Halloween Cubs theme:

Go Cubs Go - Light Show - YouTube (https://youtu.be/rls-KYnI6XM)

Barry1
10-27-2016, 09:55 AM
What a great time to Re-visit singer/song writer Steve Goodman. Steve Goodman was born in Chicago in 1948 and died in 1984 of Leukemia. Steve was a great Singer/Song writer, go to YouTube Check out videos Some of his great work, such as "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request". As Folk singer he wrote many great songs, which many singers stood in line to sing. If you are a Cubs Fan, you would know "Go CubsGo", which is played often at Wrigley Field. I wish the Village Daily Sun would cover Steve Goodman's Story during 2016 World Series".

justjim
10-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Fun Halloween Cubs theme:

Go Cubs Go - Light Show - YouTube (https://youtu.be/rls-KYnI6XM)

Thanks for the link. Just three more W's!

Nucky
10-27-2016, 10:50 AM
Is this great or what?

virgind
10-30-2016, 07:21 AM
Go tribe

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
10-30-2016, 07:43 AM
I'm a Red Sox fan but since they are out of it, I was really hoping the Cubs would win. I know what it's like to wait 86 years to win a World Series.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look too good for the Cubs now.

virgind
10-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Go tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! And then some

Chi-Town
10-30-2016, 11:18 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161031/964d8c39fe21438dda29c01617c1181f.jpg

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
10-31-2016, 06:34 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161031/964d8c39fe21438dda29c01617c1181f.jpg

They'd better start playing a lot better if they want to pull off an upset. They're a much better team then they've looked in these five games.

Chi-Town
10-31-2016, 11:52 AM
They'd better start playing a lot better if they want to pull off an upset. They're a much better team then they've looked in these five games.
The pitching match ups look good but that doesn't seem to have made much difference. You're right about coming to life these last two games. The managers are too good to cost a game.

socrafty
10-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Go tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! And then some

I am right there with you! Go Tribe!!!

2BNTV
10-31-2016, 07:35 PM
I favor the Cubs in game 6 with Jake Arrietta pitching although Tomlin pitched lights out in the last game he started.

Assuming they win, I wonder who the Cubs will start in game 7, (I hope iit's not Lackey), as Cleveland will definitely start Kluber. He has been amazing.

If the Cubs go with Lackey, the Indians have a decided advantage.

That's why we watch as we don't know who's going to win!!!

Good pitching always beats hitting. The Cubs offense needs to wake up

Go Cubs!!!

Schaumburger
11-03-2016, 12:25 AM
The long drought is finally over. 2016 World Series goes to the Chicago Cubs!!
So glad for the long suffering Cubs fans, especially my dad, who was 15 the last time the Cubs were in the World Series. Go Cubs Go! :BigApplause::BigApplause::BigApplause:

Chi-Town
11-03-2016, 12:34 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/90af263625efd10633efcb06beef4098.jpg

Schaumburger
11-03-2016, 12:45 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161103/90af263625efd10633efcb06beef4098.jpg

:mademyday::coolsmiley::clap2::MOJE_whot::thumbup: :highfive:

Taltarzac725
11-03-2016, 06:03 AM
So glad for the long suffering Cubs fans, especially my dad, who was 15 the last time the Cubs were in the World Series. Go Cubs Go! :BigApplause::BigApplause::BigApplause:

My Dad too. He went to bed in fear of them losing again after that 2 run homer by Rajai Davis. The game did run pretty late. Game 7 turning point: Cubs' two-run 10th inning - Chicago Tribune (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-turning-point-game-7-series-spt-1103-20161102-story.html)

Congrats to the Cubs and their long suffering fans.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr
11-03-2016, 06:49 AM

My thought's exactly.

Bjeanj
11-03-2016, 09:17 AM
It might be ... it could be ... it IS! HOLY COW!!!

Chi-Town
11-03-2016, 09:36 AM
No more talk of curses! It was a great Series. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the Cubs and Indians again next year. The Indians are a tough tough team. Doubt if their World Series odds will be 20-1 next year. The Cubs were 3-1.

Mrs. Robinson
11-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Everything about this World Series was phenomenal -- from the first game to the final game last night, in particular.
What made it even more spectacular is the fact that the Cubs hadn't been in a Series in over a century.

Kudos to the Cubs!

Nucky
11-03-2016, 11:54 AM
I have not enjoyed a World Series as much as this one in years. Congratulations to the Cubbies. Just as important, congratulations to all who waited for this victory. How sweet it is.

I really really don't like the replay being done in baseball. :popcorn:

cmj1210
11-03-2016, 12:51 PM
I'm a die hard Yankee fan, I normally route for the American League. Not this year. I had to root for the Cubs. Glad their drought is over. Congratulations to Cubs & all the Cubbie fans out there. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marvic 1
11-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Congratulations to all the CUBS fans you finally did it, Enjoy!

dewilson58
11-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Productivity in Chicago is very low today.

:oops:

simpkinp
11-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Productivity everywhere is in a new low today Especially in my family. We all had a very late night and enjoyed every moment of it

Chi-Town
11-03-2016, 10:00 PM
OK, this is it. .......

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/f9262c8161fc2f9d1f47ee3e272671d9.jpg

DeanFL
11-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Cubs fan here for 68 years - my (passed) Dad, same - he died at 68. He would be so happy after all those tough years.

So glad to see the millions turn out for the parade - OMG, never seen anything like it.

Not sure if anyone noted this but:

# of double stitches on a baseball = 108
# of years Cubs fans had to wait = 108

Year they won it all = 2016

Kinda eerie. The gods were with the Cubs. And maybe the capital G guy too, with that 17 minutes rain delay....

There's always next year.

Time for a repeat guys... This was great for baseball. (BTW Cleveland - you guys put up a GREAT fight - super series!)

Schaumburger
11-06-2016, 06:54 PM
OK, this is it. .......

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161104/f9262c8161fc2f9d1f47ee3e272671d9.jpg

Love the photo! The first time I saw the Cubs play was in 1969. Took a Cubs bus trip with my dad from Dubuque, Iowa to Wrigley Field. Too bad Ron, Ernie, Harry and Jack Brickhouse did not live to see the Cubs win it all...

Schaumburger
11-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Cubs fan here for 68 years - my (passed) Dad, same - he died at 68. He would be so happy after all those tough years.

So glad to see the millions turn out for the parade - OMG, never seen anything like it.

Not sure if anyone noted this but:

# of double stitches on a baseball = 108
# of years Cubs fans had to wait = 108

Year they won it all = 2016

Kinda eerie. The gods were with the Cubs. And maybe the capital G guy too, with that 17 minutes rain delay....

There's always next year.

Time for a repeat guys... This was great for baseball. (BTW Cleveland - you guys put up a GREAT fight - super series!)

Cleveland has a very good team! Now the Indians are the team with the longest record of not winning the World Series (since 1948). It could easily have gone their way...

Taltarzac725
11-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Cleveland has a very good team! Now the Indians are the team with the longest record of not winning the World Series (since 1948). It could easily have gone their way...

My Dad went to bed and missed the ending of Game 7. He thought that the Cubs had lost yet again and he probably would not live to see them win a World Series. He was very happy the following morning.

Schaumburger
11-08-2016, 03:18 AM
My Dad went to bed and missed the ending of Game 7. He thought that the Cubs had lost yet again and he probably would not live to see them win a World Series. He was very happy the following morning.

I called my dad the morning after game 7. One of my sisters spent the night before at his house watching the game with him. My dad said he would have gone to bed when the Indians tied the game in the 8th inning, but my sister convinced him to stay up and watch the rest of the game. I am so glad he stayed up to see the Cubs win

And the brick and mortar retail stores/web sites selling Cubs merchandise have been raking in the $$$ the past week. I even broke open the piggy bank to buy a Cubs World Series t-shirt for myself. I also bought a World Series t-shirt, cap and a keepsake copy of the 11/3/2016 Chicago Tribune for my dad for Christmas. If the Cubs won the World Series every fall I would never have to scratch my head wondering what to buy my dad for Christmas.

Taltarzac725
11-08-2016, 07:17 AM
I called my dad the morning after game 7. One of my sisters spent the night before at his house watching the game with him. My dad said he would have gone to bed when the Indians tied the game in the 8th inning, but my sister convinced him to stay up and watch the rest of the game. I am so glad he stayed up to see the Cubs win

And the brick and mortar retail stores/web sites selling Cubs merchandise have been raking in the $$$ the past week. I even broke open the piggy bank to buy a Cubs World Series t-shirt for myself. I also bought a World Series t-shirt, cap and a keepsake copy of the 11/3/2016 Chicago Tribune for my dad for Christmas. If the Cubs won the World Series every fall I would never have to scratch my head wondering what to buy my dad for Christmas.

There does seem to be a lot of happy former and current Chicagoland residents. I only lived there for three and a half months taking care of my Uncle Bill in Itasca before he could get into a nursing home. He lost an arm, leg, and part of his skull at the invasion of Anzio, Italy. Battle of Anzio - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Anzio) His squad was hit by a tree burst shell from a Panzer tank which killed 6/8 of his men. This was in 1994 that I helped out my Aunt and Uncle and met maybe 50 of my Illinois relatives. There was a funeral for the Itasca Fire Chief who was my uncle Alvin Lueth. He had a parade through Itasca in his honor.

My two Itasca uncles were kind of small town heroes.

Worked on my 224 613 Project while in Itasca and even had a Law School pay my way to Raleigh/Durham NC to interview with a primarily African-American Law Library North Carolina Central University for a Reference Librarian Position. The Dean there pointed out what he claimed was a lie on my resume. That I supervised some document retrieval work/study students at the U of MN Law Library. Which I did but someone at the U of MN Law School pulled the carpet from out from under me. The Law Library Director who had invited me there knew she could not question the Law School Dean. This still bothers me a lot. I still remember the two students I would check their work whenever they asked when I was on the reference desk. The cute blonde girl named Nicole with the nose ring and the guy who would ask me how my studies of Reading Italian was going. I do not remember the name of the guy student just that he now reminds me a little of Harry Potter. Almost anyone on a reference desk in a large law school library would check the work of students doing document retrieval. That is supervising. The students are often not all that familiar with legal publications especially if not interested in law books.

Also remember seeing the movie The River Wild with my cousin Jeff who was born on February 22, 1959 or right around there to my February 24, 1959. My Mom and my Aunt both had the flu while they were carrying both of us and it did result in some developmental problems with speech and co-ordination. Jeff had it a lot harder than I did as he never found the teacher who believed in him like I did with Barbara Mitchell at Earl Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada.

The River Wild (1994) - Rotten Tomatoes (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/river_wild/)

I did have to root for the Chicagoland sports teams from late August or so through mid-December of 1994. Da Bears, Da Cubs, Da Blackhawks, Da Bulls.

Taltarzac725
01-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Happy birthday, Kris Bryant!

Way to go Cubbies again for the World Series of 2016. :BigApplause:

It is their Rookie of the Year's birthday today, Kris Bryant. Kris Bryant Stats | Baseball-Reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bryankr01.shtml)

2015 MLB Rookie of the Year -- Kris Bryant of Chicago Cubs named NL winner (http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/14148411/2015-mlb-rookie-year-kris-bryant-chicago-cubs-named-nl-winner)

Schaumburger
10-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Well we all know by now the Cubs will not be returning to the World Series. The Cubs got their butts handed to them by the Dodgers. :sad:

There was so much hype about the Cubs on Chicago media last year even before they went to the World Series. This year there was still a lot of coverage of the Cubs while they were in the playoffs, but the extensive hyping of the team was not there.

As an aside, one of the Cubs scouts tried to auction off his 2016 World Series ring on an on-line auction site in violation of the agreement Cubs employees signed not to sell their World Series rings. Bidding was up to $65,000 before the auction site removed the ring from further bidding at the request of the Cubs. The scout no longer works for the Cubs.

Taltarzac725
10-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Well we all know by now the Cubs will not be returning to the World Series. The Cubs got their butts handed to them by the Dodgers. :sad:

There was so much hype about the Cubs on Chicago media last year even before they went to the World Series. This year there was still a lot of coverage of the Cubs while they were in the playoffs, but the extensive hyping of the team was not there.

As an aside, one of the Cubs scouts tried to auction off his 2016 World Series ring on an on-line auction site in violation of the agreement Cubs employees signed not to sell their World Series rings. Bidding was up to $65,000 before the auction site removed the ring from further bidding at the request of the Cubs. The scout no longer works for the Cubs.

My Dad was a little disappointed that the Cubs did not go even farther this year but seemed to take it in stride. He has known a lot of disappointment from the Cubs over his life.

Really hoping that the Houston Astros take it all this Season. List of Major League Baseball franchise postseason droughts - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason _droughts)

I like rooting for the underdog.

Schaumburger
10-21-2017, 01:24 PM
My Dad was a little disappointed that the Cubs did not go even farther this year but seemed to take it in stride. He has known a lot of disappointment from the Cubs over his life.

Really hoping that the Houston Astros take it all this Season. List of Major League Baseball franchise postseason droughts - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_franchise_postseason _droughts)

I like rooting for the underdog.

I was surprised that the Cleveland Indians didn't go further this year. Since the Cubs are out of it, I too would like to see the Astros win it all this year. Would certainly be a morale boost for the Houston area after the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey a couple of months ago.