PDA

View Full Version : Bed Bath and Beyond going bankrupt

DrHitch
04-24-2023, 07:16 AM
Use your coupons at Bed Bath and Beyond by Wednesday!

The retailer is closing all of its stores and filed for bankruptcy.

Bed Bath & Beyond goes bankrupt, plans to close all of its stores (https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/stories/2023/04/23/bed-bath-and-beyond-goes-bankrupt)

Interestingly, it's demise is being blamed on one key executive brought private label products to Bed Bath& Beyond from his previous work at Target.... But the strategy didn't work.

asianthree
04-24-2023, 07:25 AM
If one hasn’t been to BBB in TV, there is very little inventory. Store looked like it was already been cleared out. I was looking for linen’s, and most shelves were minimally stocked for everything. Hope or guessing they might start offering online deals.

Taltarzac725
04-24-2023, 08:26 AM
Used to go there every so often but now use Amazon or go to Target or Walmart.

charlieo1126@gmail.com
04-24-2023, 08:36 AM
I liked there stores but as long as people keep buying on line it will keep happening ,. I’m not blaming people for doing it , it’s just the way it is .I love going shopping at a mall or a cities downtown shopping area , then go someplace to eat ,but that practice is slipping away along with all those jobs.When the Barnes and Nobles closed downtown Boston, there were many people interviewed about the closing , people who would go into the store and read stuff but then use there online devices to read books , many said I’ll miss the store I guess I should have bought something , someday someone will say that about the last brick and mortar store I guess .

JMintzer
04-24-2023, 09:05 AM
I liked there stores but as long as people keep buying on line it will keep happening ,. I’m not blaming people for doing it , it’s just the way it is .I love going shopping at a mall or a cities downtown shopping area , then go someplace to eat ,but that practice is slipping away along with all those jobs.When the Barnes and Nobles closed downtown Boston, there were many people interviewed about the closing , people who would go into the store and read stuff but then use there online devices to read books , many said I’ll miss the store I guess I should have bought something , someday someone will say that about the last brick and mortar store I guess .

Barnes & Noble SOLD those e-readers! They are called. "Nook"... Then, they sold you the e-books...

dewilson58
04-24-2023, 09:07 AM
Will emerge from the court proceedings.

retiredguy123
04-24-2023, 10:08 AM
Barnes & Noble SOLD those e-readers! They are called. "Nook"... Then, they sold you the e-books...
They still do, but they cannot compete with Kindle.

retiredguy123
04-24-2023, 10:10 AM
I went to the store today. There were at least 40 people in line to check out.

Stu from NYC
04-24-2023, 10:44 AM
Will emerge from the court proceedings.

Maybe or maybe not. Time will tell

JMintzer
04-24-2023, 04:20 PM

You still have to buy the e-book for the Kindle...

retiredguy123
04-24-2023, 04:42 PM
Except that you can borrow Kindle Ebooks from the Lake County library and transfer them directly to your Kindle. You can't transfer library Ebooks to a Nook Ereader from either Sumter County or Lake County libraries.

Stu from NYC
04-24-2023, 06:38 PM
Except that you can borrow Kindle Ebooks from the Lake County library and transfer them directly to your Kindle. You can't transfer library Ebooks to a Nook Ereader from either Sumter County or Lake County libraries.

Have a Fire and get books for free from Sumter county library or via my wifes kindle account.

JMintzer
04-24-2023, 07:13 PM

But you CAN do it on your iPad.

Regardless, the library pays a fee, just like they do for their hard cover books, and they only can allow so many downloads at a time...

retiredguy123
04-24-2023, 07:21 PM

Regardless, the library pays a fee, just like they do for their hard cover books, and they only can allow so many downloads at a time...
Yes, but they are not in the Kindle format, and cannot be read on a Kindle Ereader.

retiredguy123
04-24-2023, 07:31 PM

You can get Ebooks from the Sumter Library, but they are not in the Kindle format and cannot be read on a Kindle Ereader or on a Nook Ereader. The Sumter library uses an app called Axis 360, which does not deliver books in the Kindle format. That is why you need to use a Kindle Fire, which just a regular tablet, not an Ereader. The Lake County library uses the Libby app that will deliver books to a Kindle Ereader in the Kindle format to your Kindle Ereader.

JMintzer
04-24-2023, 07:38 PM
Yes, but they are not in the Kindle format, and cannot be read on a Kindle Ereader.

And? It matters not. You're still transferring them to some type of device...

JMintzer
04-24-2023, 07:41 PM
You can get Ebooks from the Sumter Library, but they are not in the Kindle format and cannot be read on a Kindle Ereader or on a Nook Ereader. The Sumter library uses an app called Axis 360, which does not deliver books in the Kindle format. That is why you need to use a Kindle Fire, which just a regular tablet, not an Ereader. The Lake County library uses the Libby app that will deliver books to a Kindle Ereader in the Kindle format to your Kindle Ereader.

Again, why does it matter which device you use? My wife uses her iPad to download books from the library in TV and back in MD, if the book is not available for her Nook. Otherwise, she uses her Nook whenever possible, as it is easier to read...

retiredguy123
04-24-2023, 07:50 PM
And? It matters not. You're still transferring them to some type of device...
They market Kindle Ereaders because they have paperlike screen appearance for easy reading. Also, the Kindle book data file format and Kindle software are designed with features that can be used to enhance the reading experience. A lot of people have purchased Kindle Ereaders because of these advantages. They have sold millions of them. But, yes, you can read a book on a non-Kindle tablet, if you want.

retiredguy123
04-24-2023, 07:56 PM
Again, why does it matter which device you use? My wife uses her iPad to download books from the library in TV and back in MD, if the book is not available for her Nook. Otherwise, she uses her Nook whenever possible, as it is easier to read...
See Post No. 34. Some people who read a lot prefer to use an Ereader rather than a tablet. Note that I don't think that you can use a Nook to read any library book. But, if you have a Lake County library card, you can transfer library books to a Kindle Ereader.

BettyInFL
04-25-2023, 06:58 AM

No, you don't have to purchase the Kindle reader. I use a Kindle app (free) on my phone.

Djean1981
04-25-2023, 07:29 AM
Nice..

NotGolfer
04-25-2023, 07:42 AM
How quickly the thread digresses from BB&B to reading.

Joe C.
04-25-2023, 08:07 AM
Went there yesterday. My wife was looking for something (I already forgot what). We didn't buy anything because the line was extremely long. I figured that whatever money we would save wouldn't be worth the wait. Some things just aren't worth it.

Mark1976
04-25-2023, 08:21 AM
Yes, bizarre

retiredguy123
04-25-2023, 08:25 AM
Went there yesterday. My wife was looking for something (I already forgot what). We didn't buy anything because the line was extremely long. I figured that whatever money we would save wouldn't be worth the wait. Some things just aren't worth it.
I did the same thing for the same reason. I saw one woman filling the truck of her car with coffee K-pods.

Velvet
04-25-2023, 08:40 AM

Yes, some devices let you drop them in the pool, also easy to read with no sun glare. The iPad does not.

JMintzer
04-25-2023, 08:57 AM
See Post No. 34. Some people who read a lot prefer to use an Ereader rather than a tablet. Note that I don't think that you can use a Nook to read any library book. But, if you have a Lake County library card, you can transfer library books to a Kindle Ereader.

As I've already stated, my wife has both a Nook and an iPad. She uses the Nook whenever possible and the iPad when needed...

JMintzer
04-25-2023, 08:58 AM
Yes, some devices let you drop them in the pool, also easy to read with no sun glare. The iPad does not.

Really? I never knew that...

OhioBuckeye
04-25-2023, 09:04 AM
Maybe they’re changing their name to “In & Out, Help yourself & Go”, store! Suppose that’s why they’re filing bankruptcy.

Velvet
04-25-2023, 09:05 AM
With the Nook she’s away at the races.

JMintzer
04-25-2023, 09:38 AM
They filed for Chapter 11, which means they might not be gone for good, only reorganizing their debts in an attempt to remain in business...

Whitley
04-25-2023, 09:48 AM
Maybe they’re changing their name to “In & Out, Help yourself & Go”, store! Suppose that’s why they’re filing bankruptcy.

They tried that at Portland, Seattle and Chicago. It was not profitable for the company.

meme5x
04-25-2023, 09:54 AM
Hope so!

Normal
04-25-2023, 10:04 AM
“Already, chains including TJ Maxx, HomeGoods and Ross have scooped up some vacant stores. Burlington, Five Below, Nordstrom Rack and budget gym Planet Fitness may also fill up the spaces, say retail landlords and real estate analysts.“

This is just another Kmart or Circuit City story. I didn’t care for the place anyway. They will go off to the junk heap with Toys R Us. Meanwhile, the new emergence of ugly Dollar Generals, Family Dollar, and Dollar Trees continue towards the top.

kayak
04-25-2023, 03:35 PM
Hopefully I can get there before the last My Pillow is gone.

retiredguy123
04-25-2023, 03:49 PM
Hopefully I can get there before the last My Pillow is gone.
Bed, Bath, and Beyond is one of the stores that has boycotted My Pillow products. Personally, I hope that had something to do with their demise. Karma.

Stu from NYC
04-25-2023, 04:07 PM

Let us know the results when you try that. Inquiring minds want to know.

JMintzer
04-25-2023, 06:35 PM
Let us know the results when you try that. Inquiring minds want to know.

Your sarcasm meter needs adjusting...

Barborv
05-02-2023, 03:18 PM
Went the other day. Shelves near empty. Things were 20% and 10 % off. Could not use coupons. So, no big sale. I always got 20% off . I had a gift card that I wanted to use up, and of Couse wound up spending more than the card! LOL

Stu from NYC
05-02-2023, 05:54 PM

You want to try it and report back how that worked for you???:crap2:

OrangeBlossomBaby
05-02-2023, 07:36 PM
Bed, Bath, and Beyond is one of the stores that has boycotted My Pillow products. Personally, I hope that had something to do with their demise. Karma.

They didn't sell very well in stores, because you could get a free one with purchase if you bought "on TV." Why would anyone want to pay full price for a somewhat decent (but not amazing) pillow, when you could get two for the price of one of the EXACT same product?

Seems like a stupid thing to "hope" that pulling out of the losing end of a lousy deal is the reason for a store's demise.

JGibson
05-03-2023, 08:34 AM
Didn't they have neutral-gender bathrooms or was that Target? I’m losing track.

Rainger99
05-03-2023, 09:45 AM
Went the other day. Shelves near empty. Things were 20% and 10 % off. Could not use coupons. So, no big sale. I always got 20% off . I had a gift card that I wanted to use up, and of Couse wound up spending more than the card! LOL

Same here. Went there a couple of days ago thinking there might be some bargains. Items were marked 10, 20, or 30% off full price!

So you could have done just as good or better a week earlier on the items with 10% and 20% off. Very few items had 30% off. Store was not crowded.

I always thought the prices were a bit high but with 20% off coupon, they were competitive.