PDA

View Full Version : GEM CART batteries

Larryandlinda
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
This morning we awoke to a phone call from our golf cart service company - then people you pay in case you need a tow, charge, or other service.

the GEM we use for one of the rental homes has a dead battery.
We've used this 2008 cart for a total of 90 minutes since we bought it used one year ago with only 960 miles.

The renters have used it for another couple hundred miles.

Anyone ever replaced such a battery.
The figure was far beyond what we expected, close to what our 115,000 mile/ 2001 Prius battery cost our son when he was stranded in the Nevada desert last year.

We are not cart savvy.
In fact the last time were were on a golf course was Christmas Day, 1982 when we rented cross country skis from the LL Bean store in Freeport, Maine.

Help appreciated

L and L

redwitch
12-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Has the cart just been sitting between rentals? If so, that might be your problem. They really should be driven at least monthly and for at least a mile. Like a car battery, they do drain down if not used.

Have no idea about the cost of a battery for a Gem, though, sorry. You might want to the Battery Guys (I think that's their name) a call. They have a pretty good rep about being honest and fair.

Larryandlinda
12-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Has the cart just been sitting between rentals? If so, that might be your problem. They really should be driven at least monthly and for at least a mile. Like a car battery, they do drain down if not used.

Have no idea about the cost of a battery for a Gem, though, sorry. You might want to the Battery Guys (I think that's their name) a call. They have a pretty good rep about being honest and fair.

thanks red
we check on it, give it a tickle and a charge and fire it up a few times a year, and have visitors check on it, but the charger is supposed to be 'smart'

we have an idea of the cost of the battery which is why we're trying to seek alternatives to this morning's shocker - and it's high voltage, too!

L and L

jebartle
12-08-2010, 04:27 AM
Our Gem has Gel batteries, which require little or no care, BUT are expensive to replace, BUT last in some cases 8 or 9 years, cost to replace all batteries is in the neighborhood of $1700.

Larryandlinda
12-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Our Gem has Gel batteries, which require little or no care, BUT are expensive to replace, BUT last in some cases 8 or 9 years, cost to replace all batteries is in the neighborhood of $1700.

Thanks for the follow up.
The dealer was able to rescue the batteries but suggested a heavy duty timer for the charger that would turn it on weekly.
It seems that a good charger would have some kind of circuitry or brain that would perform such a function automatically,

We'll investigate upon arrival tomorrow when we visit the recovering patient

L and L

batman911
12-08-2010, 02:35 PM
We have GEM cars at my work place and I can tell you the batteries cost a bundle. The dealer instructed us to leave the cars plugged in at all times when not in use. There is an onboard charger so you just plug it in to a 110V outlet. IYou will destroy your batteries if you let the car sit without being plugged in for any length of time.

Larryandlinda
12-08-2010, 02:47 PM
We have GEM cars at my work place and I can tell you the batteries cost a bundle. The dealer instructed us to leave the cars plugged in at all times when not in use. There is an onboard charger so you just plug it in to a 110V outlet. IYou will destroy your batteries if you let the car sit without being plugged in for any length of time.

that's what we thought
and we thought it was plugged in
we will find out in about 19 hours whassup.

L and L