PDA

View Full Version : Golf Course Conditions - Bogart great, Cane ?

Taj44
12-12-2010, 06:17 AM
I played Bogart yesterday and found the conditions to be very nice. Greens were good.

I practiced putting on the green by Jacaranda at Cane Garden the other day and found it to be like a slab of concrete. The grass was very brown in areas. Has anyone played the course? I'm wondering how the conditions are out on the course.

ajbrown
12-12-2010, 07:56 AM
I played Cane on 12/3 (Jac/All). Amazingly and sadly I do not remember great details about the conditions, but I do remember thinking that the over seed did not take very well on the fairways.

IMO the course is playable as the greens are OK. I will try it again and pay more attention. My memory is vague about last Friday, either from getting older, after golf cocktails or the fact I am not playing great at the moment.

LittleDog
12-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Played Cane on Friday and found the fairways spotty. The greens were OK but fast. I was kind of disappointed because last Friday I played Havana and thought the conditions there, both fairway and greens, were very good.

John

jebartle
12-12-2010, 08:29 AM
So sorry lack of rain played into the decision NOT to overseed Hacienda....One of my favorites, reminds me of our OLD home course in NC...As I'm sure you already know, they overseeded greens and tees only...

clekr
12-12-2010, 09:35 PM
PLayed Cane yesterday. Greens are fine - very fast for TV. As for the fairways - the overseed did not seem to take, play somewhere else.

Taj44
12-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks all for the input on Cane. jrheydt, I heard from other that Havana is nice. Will have to check that one out. Anyone else have info on other courses like Mallory or Tierra? Although with the weather forecast this week, can't imagine playing golf until the end of the week.

ajbrown
12-13-2010, 10:40 AM
<WHINE>
I played Mallory on Friday in the afternoon wave which was :cold: and I played Tierra on Sunday where we got 9 holes before the skies opened up <need pouring rain icon>. My point being I have greater concerns with the weather around here over the past couple of winters than I do the playability of the courses.</WHINE>

The front nine on Tierra was fine and I will try again next Sunday. I am biased toward Tierra as it drives me nuts. I do not think I have ever had a "great" round there and I keep going back for more. IMO the slope and course rating of Tierra del Sol is low. If you think your game is in shape try Tierra from the gold tees for kicks. The course record (74) there is still 2 over the course rating (72.2/slope 122)! By contrast the back tees at Havana are rated about 74/slope 136 and the course records are 63, 66 and 68.

Mallory is my "home" course. At this time, let me say that Mallory goes toward the bottom of my request list.....

Taj44
12-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks AJ. We too have been avoiding Mallory - I had hoped it would shape up, but apparently not. You get a gold star for going out Friday. We had a tee time but chickened out. I didn't even think of playing golf Sunday, it was so windy! I love the layout at Tierra, but rarely score very well there.

emma1
12-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Any suggestions for connecting with a group or groups for golf. I am renting in the Lopez area for the month of February. Play a decent game 8-10 handicap.
Thanks, Ron

Taj44
12-14-2010, 07:11 AM
Ron, it will be impossible to get in a regular golf group unless you are a priority member. If one person in a group is not a priority member, and everyone else is, it will throw the computer golf request to the bottom of the heap and the group risks either not getting a tee time or getting one at a less desireable time or course. If you are a priority member, I'd suggest signing up for men's day. In the events on men's days the players are often grouped by handicap. You'll meet other guys in your handicap range and might be able to find some players.

You may also want to start a separate thread here on TOTV - looking for playing partners, etc. If you're not a priority member, you may find others that are like you, visiting, and you can get your group together and make a tee time request. Good luck!

ricthemic
12-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Ron, it will be impossible to get in a regular golf group unless you are a priority member. If one person in a group is not a priority member, and everyone else is, it will throw the computer golf request to the bottom of the heap and the group risks either not getting a tee time or getting one at a less desireable time or course. If you are a priority member, I'd suggest signing up for men's day. In the events on men's days the players are often grouped by handicap. You'll meet other guys in your handicap range and might be able to find some players.

You may also want to start a separate thread here on TOTV - looking for playing partners, etc. If you're not a priority member, you may find others that are like you, visiting, and you can get your group together and make a tee time request. Good luck!

Pardon my ignorance and thus this question: Is that actually what happens with a tee time request with three priority members and one resident non priority? It seems to me that some weight should be given to the resident perhaps before the forth being a non resident guest. Just need to know for sure. thanks

Taj44
12-15-2010, 06:54 AM
ricthemic, here is a link to the golf tee time policies: http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-in-the-villages/GolfingIntheVillages.pdf You may have to copy and paste it into your browser window.

Teetimes in order of priority: Priority members, priority guests, Resident members, resident guests. During the high season, having a guest really screws things up. Our group got kicked out of the system once last year in February - we had all priority members, and one guest which I believe was a priority guest. Of course it was a large group - probably 12-16 people which could have factored in as well. Hope this helps.

emma1
12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks, looking forward to seeing TV.

ajbrown
01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I have yet to play Hacienda since the over seed. Reading various threads it sounds like it may never have even been over seeded this winter. Has anyone played there recently? I just want to be sure it is playable, for instance, how would it compare to Mallory?

Thanks

chuckster
01-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Tees and Greens overseeded. Fairways were not done as insufficient water.
Still better than Mallory imho.

ajbrown
01-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks. MAYBE I will check it out Friday :cold::cold:

Taj44
01-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Play at your own risk, lol! I heard the fairways were like dust. I suspect its not as good as Mallory, not that Mallory is anything special.

chuckster
01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Me thinks someone gave you bad info. Grass in fairways but it is brown (dormant) whereas the overseed at Mallory is similar to hitting off of hard pan. Winter and heavy play have been tough on courses. Noticed on Orlando news/weather tonight that sumter county is now in a severe drought. Not good..........

Mallory
01-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Amelia & Caroline were fine this morning.

Johnshirts
01-11-2011, 03:56 AM
I will be staying at TV in Feb and March and will be a single golfer. Will I find it hard to get a game?

Bogie Shooter
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I will be staying at TV in Feb and March and will be a single golfer. Will I find it hard to get a game?

No, just go to the course or call the starter shack or put in the tee time system, request for one. See www.Golfthevillages.com

waynet
02-18-2011, 08:07 AM
played Cane yesterday a total disgrace. Fairways at best were sparse,greens were very slow and inconsistent. The entire experience was a disappointment. A $48 greens fee is a joke.

Taj44
02-18-2011, 12:11 PM
played Cane yesterday a total disgrace. Fairways at best were sparse,greens were very slow and inconsistent. The entire experience was a disappointment. A $48 greens fee is a joke.

Thanks for the head up Waynet. I'll probably skip Cane for awhile. I agree, the winter rates here, for what you get, are a joke. We're priority members, so there is a discount, but still. If you're not a priority member, much better deals outside The Villages. Palmer, Havana and Lopez have been consistently pretty good. The others, not so.

I'm taking a chance and playing Hacienda on Sunday. Will post afterwards.

schotzyb
02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Played Glenview today with our regular Friday group (16 golfers). Course is in very good condition. Fairways T boxes and greens all very plush. Nice speed on the greens. Best I have seen this course in a while.

Taj44
02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Played Glenview today with our regular Friday group (16 golfers). Course is in very good condition. Fairways T boxes and greens all very plush. Nice speed on the greens. Best I have seen this course in a while.

Great - our group put in for it for next week. Thanks Schotzyb.

spk7951
02-18-2011, 07:58 PM

Played Glenview this afternoon and I agree that it is in great shape. Course was very crowded but we played in 4 hrs 15 minutes.

graciegirl
02-18-2011, 09:07 PM

Much cheaper with priority membership. $33.

schotzyb
02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Much cheaper with priority membership. $33.

Then again, you can play Orange Blossom with a Priority Membership for $24 and it it is in much better condition than Cane is.

waynet
02-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Cane is not worth the $33 priority rate either. It's just in real bad shape.

nitehawk
02-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Me thinks someone gave you bad info. Grass in fairways but it is brown (dormant) whereas the overseed at Mallory is similar to hitting off of hard pan. Winter and heavy play have been tough on courses. Noticed on Orlando news/weather tonight that sumter county is now in a severe drought. Not good..........

Wonder why we have no water ------ Still confirmed that Niagara was getting the bulk of the water it uses now to bottle from Wildwood Springs Inc., a company based in Wildwood with a permit to pump up to 552,000 gallons of water per day.
A quote form the http://www.dailycommercial.com/040909niagara

katezbox
02-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Played Tierra yesterday. Started on the back 9. Played in 1:50! Greens were spotty and slow. Never had to wait at the tee until hole 17 (really hole 8 of the front 9). Had a good round which would have been better if the greens were a bit better - hey, you have blame a 3 putt on something!

ajbrown
02-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I just played Tierra this AM. I was very impressed how the greens have filled in since the last time I was there. Were they running at 12? Heck no, this is TV, but I thought the whole course was in pretty good shape.

Taj44
02-20-2011, 08:27 PM
We played Hacienda today - it was just awful. I'd vote it "worst course in The Villages" right now. Fairways were brown and hard, greens were slow. Some of the bunkers had little to no sand. If you hit a ball down the fairway it would bounce up and you'd see a big "puff" of dust. No amount of money would have been worth playing on that course, IMHO. I'm looking forward to checking out Tierra and Glenview.

waynet
02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
played Cane today (Feb.21). The greens were better,not great but better. The fairways to be kind are very sparse. We decided to play the ball up they were so bad. It's a shame because the layout is so good.

schotzyb
02-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Playing Orange Blossom tomorrow(Tuesday). Hope it is still as good as it was a couple weeks ago.

Taj44
02-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Played Glenview today. The course is in fabulous condition, with some of the best fairways around.

gage405
02-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Glenview is in great condition. Although I think they could have cut the greens more. They were a little slow.